Military Law

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
JAG Dog

Re: Military Law

Postby JAG Dog » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:20 pm

Lalarsh wrote:I also have tried unsuccessfully for the past week to contact the individual at the accessions office. Does anyone know what the typical timeline is for those selectees still in their 3L year? For example, when is the medical exam typically scheduled?

I've had the same difficulty. Also, I'm a practicing attorney so I don't think that's it.

travellingboarder

Postby travellingboarder » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:10 pm

Just went to "Pending Board Decision"…
Deadline still says 12/13/2013 for some reason
This is my strongest application yet (new/better references and recent CA Bar passage), so here's to carrying on my family's legacy in the United States Army!!!!

womeninblack

Postby womeninblack » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:42 pm

Lalarsh wrote:I also have tried unsuccessfully for the past week to contact the individual at the accessions office. Does anyone know what the typical timeline is for those selectees still in their 3L year? For example, when is the medical exam typically scheduled?

He said it all depends on what you identify on the prescreening questions. If there's nothing that stands out as an issue, you're likely to be able to go to MEPS earlier.

Maybe it depends on the time of day you call? I called bright and early, like 8:45ish EST, and got him on my first try.

BunnySlippers

Postby BunnySlippers » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:55 pm

Anybody have any news from the Navy?

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:26 pm

Any of you guys know how/if you'd get placed in the Army Trial Defense Service if you were reserve?

lrslayer

Postby lrslayer » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:51 pm

BunnySlippers wrote:Anybody have any news from the Navy?

No word here. I just looked at a calendar and 10 weeks should be next Friday. My last final for the semester is that day too so I won't be checking until after that. Please let us know when you hear. Good Luck!

BunnySlippers

Postby BunnySlippers » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:05 am

Thanks, ditto. Where did you see 10? I mean, I can tell that release dates have varied in the past but I have been going by the eight weeks estimated on the application portal's FAQ page. Not like last Friday (the 8-week mark) was really a business day or anything. This is a pretty hectic time of year.

Patrick Bateman

Postby Patrick Bateman » Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:33 am

It is worth reading through the thread - this has been covered previously:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=31543&p=5766316&hilit=timeline#p5766316

If that does not link directly to the post, look for 02 Aug 2012, 06:55 as the post time.

smitty0918

Postby smitty0918 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:25 pm

BunnySlippers wrote:Thanks, ditto. Where did you see 10? I mean, I can tell that release dates have varied in the past but I have been going by the eight weeks estimated on the application portal's FAQ page. Not like last Friday (the 8-week mark) was really a business day or anything. This is a pretty hectic time of year.

I called the Navy accessions office several weeks ago to get help with a technology problem and they said the selection board would begin meeting the week of Veteran's Day. They also said they hope to have the results out before Christmas. That makes sense, since last year the results came out around Dec. 17th (from the information I gathered from this forum, this time last year). Dec. 13 will be 10 weeks since the deadline, so notification around the 17th seems pretty likely.

lrslayer

Postby lrslayer » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:03 pm

smitty0918 wrote:
BunnySlippers wrote:Thanks, ditto. Where did you see 10? I mean, I can tell that release dates have varied in the past but I have been going by the eight weeks estimated on the application portal's FAQ page. Not like last Friday (the 8-week mark) was really a business day or anything. This is a pretty hectic time of year.

I called the Navy accessions office several weeks ago to get help with a technology problem and they said the selection board would begin meeting the week of Veteran's Day. They also said they hope to have the results out before Christmas. That makes sense, since last year the results came out around Dec. 17th (from the information I gathered from this forum, this time last year). Dec. 13 will be 10 weeks since the deadline, so notification around the 17th seems pretty likely.

Ya, I was rereading the page that details the procedure and it said ten weeks. Either way, we will know soon. Good luck to all.

kellettp

Postby kellettp » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:09 pm

Got first assignment orders for Barksdale. Anyone have any information they could let me in on for a new JA there? Also, any advice on where to live? Thanks.

BunnySlippers

Postby BunnySlippers » Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:59 pm

Thanks for the info, smitty. I really, really hope the results are out before XMas. One last thing I'd point out is that while last year's selection announcement date is probably a reliable indicator for this year, I believe that the fall 2012 applications were due October 12. They pushed it back a week this year to October 4. So that might affect the calculation.

Lalarsh

Postby Lalarsh » Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:23 pm

Patrick Bateman wrote:

It is worth reading through the thread - this has been covered previously:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=31543&p=5766316&hilit=timeline#p5766316

If that does not link directly to the post, look for 02 Aug 2012, 06:55 as the post time.

Thanks. I'm most curious/apprehensive about the waiver situation for Adderall. Can anyone speak to this? The medical history questionnaire specifically asks if you've ever taken any medication to improve focus, attention, etc., so unless you lie on the application, which obviously isn't the way to go (besides, who wants the constant threat hanging over one's head for years and years of having one's career destroyed for making a false official statement?), it looks like something that will require, at minimum, a waiver. But is this true? That is, is this an automatic disqualifier without the possibility of obtaining a waiver? And if a waiver is possible, what are the chances of getting one? Job-wise these days, it's definitely a buyer's market out there, so I wouldn't expect the AF to just dole out waivers like candy. Does anyone have any experience or insight with this issue?

Patrick Bateman

Postby Patrick Bateman » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:06 pm

kellettp wrote:Got first assignment orders for Barksdale. Anyone have any information they could let me in on for a new JA there? Also, any advice on where to live? Thanks.

Congrats - I think Barksdale is a great first assignment. You'll be with the Bomb Wing (B-52 BUFFs), falling under Global Strike Command. There is a lot of brass at the base as well (it is a bit like Scott AFB in terms of structure) where you will have the 3-Star NAF and the 4-Star Major Command all sharing the same space. I'm pretty sure there are some reserve units there as well with additional B-52 squadrons and an A-10 squadron. Quite a bit going on.

With the flying mission, there will be plenty of courts for you if that is your goal (and maybe even if it isn't).

I've never been stationed there, so I cannot comment on the living situation. You'll get set up with a sponsor in the legal office that can give you the boots on the ground perspective. I would also check out http://www.ahrn.com/ when you can. You may need a .mil email account but once you get your orders, they may let you sign up in advance.

Esquire

Postby Esquire » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:03 pm

FlanAl wrote:Any of you guys know how/if you'd get placed in the Army Trial Defense Service if you were reserve?

You can get it. Reserve gigs are "slots" you can try to get. It's like applying for a job within your reserve unit.

sarahbobara

Postby sarahbobara » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:43 pm

sarahbobara wrote:Does anybody know when the Army Board actually meets? I am picturing a big room full of Army high ranking people and they go through each application one by one. LOL. that's probably not what happens. Does anybody know how it works exactly? How long it takes for them start to finish with making their decisions? I am just curious. I know we probably have quite some time until they are completed, considering last year the decisions were released a few days before Christmas

Shamelessly bumping my own post. Does anybody have any clues about this?

Pdk7

Postby Pdk7 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:26 pm

sarahbobara wrote:
sarahbobara wrote:Does anybody know when the Army Board actually meets? I am picturing a big room full of Army high ranking people and they go through each application one by one. LOL. that's probably not what happens. Does anybody know how it works exactly? How long it takes for them start to finish with making their decisions? I am just curious. I know we probably have quite some time until they are completed, considering last year the decisions were released a few days before Christmas

From what I understand, that is what actually happens. And since results come out around christmas I would guess that they're meeting now.

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Postby LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:22 pm

Pdk7 wrote:
sarahbobara wrote:

From what I understand, that is what actually happens. And since results come out around christmas I would guess that they're meeting now.

I emailed my FSO who said they should be meeting this week.

brando4545

Postby brando4545 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:33 pm

My FSO told me the board started reviewing the applications this past Monday - he wasn't sure when they would be finished.

sarahbobara

Postby sarahbobara » Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:38 pm

That seems pretty early doesn't it? (not complaining)

did anybody else get a call mid-November needing an update to their application?

travellingboarder

Postby travellingboarder » Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:57 pm

sarahbobara wrote:That seems pretty early doesn't it? (not complaining)

did anybody else get a call mid-November needing an update to their application?

I believe they met this time last year and I got a call from my FSO on 12/20 with the bad news. I'm hoping we hear back within 2 weeks, if they're on the same timeline as last year. Hoping is they key word, since I really don't have any idea when decisions will be made.

What kind of update did you need? This is my 2nd time applying and I've never had a call for an update...

sarahbobara

Postby sarahbobara » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:12 pm

travellingboarder wrote:

I believe they met this time last year and I got a call from my FSO on 12/20 with the bad news. I'm hoping we hear back within 2 weeks, if they're on the same timeline as last year. Hoping is they key word, since I really don't have any idea when decisions will be made.

What kind of update did you need? This is my 2nd time applying and I've never had a call for an update...

I see. well i hope this year we BOTH get selected! :)

Mid-november I had a missed call from a Virginia number and I googled it and it was from the JAG recruiting office. The man just said that I needed an official transcript. Apparently the one I had attached was unofficial, but I swore I attached an unofficial one last time, and I certainly did not get a phone call. But who knows. That's me reading into it ;-)

travellingboarder

Postby travellingboarder » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:41 am

sarahbobara wrote:
travellingboarder wrote:

I see. well i hope this year we BOTH get selected! :)

Mid-november I had a missed call from a Virginia number and I googled it and it was from the JAG recruiting office. The man just said that I needed an official transcript. Apparently the one I had attached was unofficial, but I swore I attached an unofficial one last time, and I certainly did not get a phone call. But who knows. That's me reading into it ;-)

I hope so too! Good luck!

armyhooah

Postby armyhooah » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:42 am

Army AD results were out on December 21st last year I think. I couldn't find any info in this thread about when the board met to review apps last year. Does anyone know if we're on track to hear back around the same time this year given that they're reviewing apps this week? I am praying to know before the holidays rather than after the New Year... Good luck to all!

travellingboarder

Postby travellingboarder » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:54 pm

armyhooah wrote:Army AD results were out on December 21st last year I think. I couldn't find any info in this thread about when the board met to review apps last year. Does anyone know if we're on track to hear back around the same time this year given that they're reviewing apps this week? I am praying to know before the holidays rather than after the New Year... Good luck to all!

Someone else mentioned they were meeting last week. I was hoping results would be out a week earlier than last year since our applications were due a week earlier this year.

Return to “Legal Employment”