Military Law

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
bouakedojo

Re: Military Law

Postby bouakedojo » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:59 pm

JAG Dog wrote:Well said. I assure you I am not trying to get out of any obligation; I was just trying to gauge the likelihood of a particular sacrifice. Understand that my wife (a civilian who married a civilian) is trying to come to grips with giving up the security of the job I have for the benefits of JAG along with the uncertainty of where/how/with (or without) whom she is going to spend at least the next four years, with some small but growing children. She is behind me 100000%, but it would be nice to give her some frame of reference as to the likelihood of deployment. I would like to think that if you knew me, there would be no need for the above comment.

rant
Last edited by bouakedojo on Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

JAG Dog

Postby JAG Dog » Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:07 am

Once again, I never said anything about trying to avoid deployment. I never said anything about wanting special treatment because I have a family. But if all JAGs take things out of context and fly off the handle when someone's opinion is not consistent with their own, maybe you're right and JAG is not for me.

Let me say that I feel humbled and, honestly, not worthy of the commission that I anticipate. But you have to have more faith in the selection process than to think that I somehow just pulled a fast one on the SJA who interviewed me and on the selection board, and that your interpretation of my comments provides a better indication of the kind of JAG I will be.

I have to admit, the fervor of some who have posted here makes me proud of what I'm going to be a part of. But we're (probably) not talking about putting ourselves in harm's way. We're talking about a legal assignment that some people want and others don't. This thread is replete with posts about how life on a particular base was hard, and how some kinds of assignments/practice areas are more interesting than others. What's so different about deployment? In the end, those folks willingly went to the presumably crappier base, and I would willingly go if deployed.

Fed_Atty

Postby Fed_Atty » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:33 am

I can only speak for the Navy, but you can avoid deployments if you want. In some cases it likely resulted in not promoting, but not always. Right now, deployments have way more volunteers than slots. JAG deployments are usually pretty cushy. You bank all the extra money that the warfighters make and you are generally just working a desk.

erik_1717

Postby erik_1717 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:20 am

Any other 3Ls exploring other public service options if JAG doesn't work out? Our school offered a US Attorney General Honors Program. It looked like a one year program that you go through after the bar and looked pretty cool. Unfortunately, I was at Marine OCS when our Office of Professional Development publicized the opportunity and I didn't know any more about it until too late. Since, at least as it appears to me, with law you are often restricted to the state in which you are licensed to practice, it would be cool to find a public service opportunity that gets me out of my home state. Do any of you current JAGs deal with attorneys in a particular civilian organization regularly?

armyice1906

Postby armyice1906 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:04 pm

My Army JAG status also went to "pending board decision"... Let the waiting game continue

maxpayne

Postby maxpayne » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:55 pm

armyice1906 wrote:My Army JAG status also went to "pending board decision"... Let the waiting game continue

Mine did as well.

HEAT3PEAT

Postby HEAT3PEAT » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:42 pm

NavyJAG1 wrote:I can only speak for the Navy, but you can avoid deployments if you want. In some cases it likely resulted in not promoting, but not always. Right now, deployments have way more volunteers than slots. JAG deployments are usually pretty cushy. You bank all the extra money that the warfighters make and you are generally just working a desk.

This !!!! Thats why there are so many volunteers !! Boost your OER and look good for promotion board. Everyone volunteers for the cushy deployments. Gives them a chance to collect a combat patch and gain "experience" on the FOB for a year.

boarder78

Postby boarder78 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:43 pm

maxpayne wrote:
armyice1906 wrote:My Army JAG status also went to "pending board decision"... Let the waiting game continue

Mine did as well.

Still under completeness review...

Massimiliano

Postby Massimiliano » Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:24 pm

JAG Dog wrote:Once again, I never said anything about trying to avoid deployment. I never said anything about wanting special treatment because I have a family. But if all JAGs take things out of context and fly off the handle when someone's opinion is not consistent with their own, maybe you're right and JAG is not for me.

Let me say that I feel humbled and, honestly, not worthy of the commission that I anticipate. But you have to have more faith in the selection process than to think that I somehow just pulled a fast one on the SJA who interviewed me and on the selection board, and that your interpretation of my comments provides a better indication of the kind of JAG I will be.

I have to admit, the fervor of some who have posted here makes me proud of what I'm going to be a part of. But we're (probably) not talking about putting ourselves in harm's way. We're talking about a legal assignment that some people want and others don't. This thread is replete with posts about how life on a particular base was hard, and how some kinds of assignments/practice areas are more interesting than others. What's so different about deployment? In the end, those folks willingly went to the presumably crappier base, and I would willingly go if deployed.

I don't understand some of this self righteous, allegedly selfless, rhetoric about how you NEED to deploy if you want to be a JAG attorney.

First off, as some other folks have mentioned, you WILL NOT be in imminent danger if you deploy as a JAG attorney. You probably have a better chance of being randomly killed in any major American city than you would behind the wire at a military installation overseas. If you were deploying as an 11b or responsible for training the ANA, that would be a different story.

Second, combat operations overseas are winding down rapidly. OIF is over and OEF will be done (or mostly done) by the time you get your commission. Simply put, you have a very limited risk of being deployed to a combat zone by the time you are commissioned.

If you want to deploy to Kuwait, Bahrain, Qatar or something, that's great. If you'd rather tend to your family back home and work at your duty station, I see no problem with that. Granted, some awful war could blowup with North Korea or Iran, but I think the odds of that are very low.

I think this scenario would be different if you enlisted in Army or Marines combat arms and then expressed a hesitance to deploy to Afghanistan. In that case, you would be betraying your unit and the oath you took when you enlisted. But, in your case, you are seeking a JAG commission, so it is understandable you are hesitant to be deployed. Lastly, bear in mind that there are very few slots in general available for deployment these days, so there will guaranteed be more guys or gals willing to go than there are slots available.

boarder78

Postby boarder78 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:47 pm

My Active Duty status is still "under completeness review", but now the deadline says 12/13/2013…curiosity has my mind running wild

brando4545

Postby brando4545 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:35 am

Mine says the same thing. Fighting the urge to call and ask what's up....

boarder78

Postby boarder78 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:30 pm

brando4545 wrote:Mine says the same thing. Fighting the urge to call and ask what's up....

If you do, please post the outcome!

travellingboarder

Postby travellingboarder » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:00 pm

0/1 Army and 0/2 Navy
I'm ready for DA Army in the next few weeks!
My buddy got accepted (Army) last year and still hasn't been commissioned. Looks like January 2014 is when he takes off overseas. He had done a 2L internship.
Wishing I had done an internship too…My FSO took 2 guys from his region, and both had done internships. He did recommend me though.
Here's to a WAY better app this year than I submitted last year!

sarahbobara

Postby sarahbobara » Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:42 pm

Hi Everyone,

I'm just wondering if anybody who has been selected in the past or has a lot of experience applying knows the answer to this:

I got a call in mid-november from somebody from Army JAG saying they were doing their completeness review and they wanted an "official" transcript - apparently the one I had attached online was not official. I ended up ordering the official one from my school.I thought that it was and I had applied last year and I never received such a phone call. (and I didn't get in). But this year my transcript is better, my resume is better, and I am admitted to the bar. I don't want to get my hopes up but I thought that they bothered to call requesting an "official" transcript is a good sign! But i also think perhaps it doesn't mean anything. Right now my application status is "pending board decision" or whatever.

Another question is how much does it improve your application to have been admitted to the bar and a licensed attorney when applying? When I applied last year, I was still a 3L, but now I have been admitted to the bar. Does that make a major difference? or not at all?

Thanks ya'll!

yurishima

Postby yurishima » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:10 am

brando4545 wrote:Mine says the same thing. Fighting the urge to call and ask what's up....

Same here. Was something amiss in our applications and we got pushed back a cycle? I agree that someone should call and see what's up! ...and I call "not it."

brando4545

Postby brando4545 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:13 pm

Doubt that's the case since there is no other cycle or board this year. I emailed them, but no response yet.

travellingboarder

Postby travellingboarder » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:56 pm

brando4545 wrote:Doubt that's the case since there is no other cycle or board this year. I emailed them, but no response yet.

Most likely they are checking references and things. They wouldn't push us back a cycle, if our apps are incomplete, we will have to apply next year. However, I am 100% sure my app is complete, so I'm guessing they're checking up on everything...

brando4545

Postby brando4545 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:39 pm

Last edited by brando4545 on Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brando4545

Postby brando4545 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:45 pm

So JARO told me even though my application says it is still under going completeness review that it is good to go - they did not offer an explanation as to why the status appears messed up, but assured me that I am G2G. Anyone else with this problem might want to contact JARO (one of the recruiters on their website assisted me).

erik_1717

Postby erik_1717 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:04 pm

Army AD just switched over to pending board decision....

maxpayne

Postby maxpayne » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:34 pm

Hoping third time is a charm with the AF December DAP Board. We had a small window between the results of the October Board and Dec. 6th to update our application for December. I managed to squeeze in four new letters of recommendation (only had one for the previous two boards), a new personal statement, updated resume, and updated forms. Hoping results are released sometime this month.

sarahbobara

Postby sarahbobara » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:51 pm

Does anybody know when the Army Board actually meets? I am picturing a big room full of Army high ranking people and they go through each application one by one. LOL. that's probably not what happens. Does anybody know how it works exactly? How long it takes for them start to finish with making their decisions? I am just curious. I know we probably have quite some time until they are completed, considering last year the decisions were released a few days before Christmas

toster19

Postby toster19 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:06 am

I was lucky enough to be selected for the AF October board. I received my packet last week and have tried unsuccessfully to contact the person at the accession's office I was told to contact. I'm sure he's super busy between the other selectees, the holidays, and everything else associated with his job and I'm ready to be patient because I know this will be a hurry up and wait game. However, I have some free time between now and when finals start and want to start gathering my medical records. Does anyone who has been through the process know if I can just personally collect my medical records myself and then supply them to the office or MEPS or if I need to wait for instruction and have them sent directly to where they need to go? I'd like to take advantage of these next few days before I'm swamped with finals and out of town for the holidays.

womeninblack

Postby womeninblack » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:35 am

When I called, he said to start looking through the medical questions to identify possible yes answers. We set up a phone appointment for when he said we'd go through the forms together. He explicitly said not to fill out any forms without talking to him. Also, it sounds like you're still in law school, so you have plenty of time to get this stuff done (I'm a 3L too, and that's what he told me). I wouldn't worry about it too much right now. He's probably busy trying to help those who have already passed the bar and are eligible to enter active duty immediately. Definitely don't send anything to JAX without talking to him first. Gathering documents you'll need does sound like a good idea if you're looking for something to do.

Lalarsh

Postby Lalarsh » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:02 pm

I also have tried unsuccessfully for the past week to contact the individual at the accessions office. Does anyone know what the typical timeline is for those selectees still in their 3L year? For example, when is the medical exam typically scheduled?

Return to “Legal Employment”