Military Law

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
toster19

Re: Military Law

Postby toster19 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:08 pm

when my SJA called me he said the selection rate was approx. 6%

BunnySlippers

Postby BunnySlippers » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:25 pm

USN JAG hopeful with all appendages crossed. If the board met last week, does that mean we could see a status change at any time? From scanning previous posts it seems like the last few boards have run past the 8-week mark.

Anotherspouse

Postby Anotherspouse » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:56 pm

If you look to the Senate, there are changes coming with the way the military will be handling Sexual Assaults and maybe other serious crimes. The services have been ordered to add JAGs for sexual assault victims. The AF did this and took them from their own hide, 64 JAGs taken out of offices and not really replaced. The new defense bill will authorize additional JAGs in each service for the expanded duties for the services corps.

I do not have first hand knowledge that this is the reason why a larger number of selects but it does make some sense.

Patrick Bateman

Postby Patrick Bateman » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:03 pm

Anotherspouse wrote:If you look to the Senate, there are changes coming with the way the military will be handling Sexual Assaults and maybe other serious crimes. The services have been ordered to add JAGs for sexual assault victims. The AF did this and took them from their own hide, 64 JAGs taken out of offices and not really replaced. The new defense bill will authorize additional JAGs in each service for the expanded duties for the services corps.

I do not have first hand knowledge that this is the reason why a larger number of selects but it does make some sense.

Alleged victims.

And do you have a link or source for the service JAG Corps being authorized additional manning in the NDAA due to the SVC program?

Anotherspouse

Postby Anotherspouse » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:53 pm

The House, in Section 536 of the FY2014 NDAA, requires that each military service designate
legal counsel to serve as “Victims’ Counsel” for victims of alleged sex-related offenses.86 Victims’
Counsel are authorized to provide various types of legal assistance including services similar to
that of a defense attorney,87 claims attorney,88 and a traditional military legal assistance attorney.89
The House defines qualifying sex-related offenses as alleged violations of UCMJ Articles 120
(rape and sexual assault generally), 120a (stalking), 120b (rape and sexual assault of a child),
120c (other sexual misconduct), 125 (sodomy), and 80 (attempts to commit the specified
offenses).90 An alleged victim of any of the specified offenses qualifies for representation by a
Victims’ Counsel regardless of whether the report of the offense is restricted or unrestricted.91
The Senate FY2014 NDAA, in Section 539, requires the implementation of programs providing
for Special Victims’ Counsel in each military service.92 Much like the House version, the Senate
authorizes the Special Victims’ Counsel to provide various types of legal assistance including
services similar to that of a defense attorney,93 claims attorney,94 and a traditional military legal
assistance attorney.95 However, a substantial difference between the House and Senate versions
exists in how the Senate defines offenses that qualify for representation by a Special Victims’
Counsel. The Senate limits qualifying offenses to alleged violations of UCMJ Articles 120 (rape
and sexual assault) and 80 (attempted rape and sexual assault).96 Also, in concurrence with the
House version, the Senate authorizes the assignment of a Special Victims’ Counsel to an alleged
victim regardless of whether the report of the offense is restricted or unrestricted.97

http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/natsec/R43213.pdf

page 9

Fed_Atty

Postby Fed_Atty » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:14 pm

That does not say anything about increasing the size of the JAG corps though. Personally, I would hate to have one of those special victim's counsel jobs.

JAG Dog

Postby JAG Dog » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:33 am

NavyJAG1 wrote:That does not say anything about increasing the size of the JAG corps though. Personally, I would hate to have one of those special victim's counsel jobs.

Not in so many words, but there is a strong implication. Washington state recently started requiring public defenders to certify that they are handling fewer than a certain number of cases per attorney. That bill did not authorize or prescribe additional positions in pd offices, but since they have to represent everyone who qualifies, additional positions are required. This new legislation guarantees counsel to a new set of people, so the counsel has to come from somewhere.

jmls1987

Postby jmls1987 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:46 am

Congrats to all who made it ! 6% selection rate is insane. Good luck to all others who are still waiting as well.

target

Postby target » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:47 am

howell wrote:
maxpayne wrote:
howell wrote:Looks like it was a huge board - about twice the normal size. Kinda unusual.

You mind explaining a bit further? Are you a current AF Jag? Thanks!

Current AF Jag. Looks like I was a bit off the numbers. It looks like the last several boards have selected around 30-40 people. This board selected 60+. Still a pretty big board.

If this is indeed true, it just makes me feel more hopeless....

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:10 am

target wrote:
howell wrote:
maxpayne wrote:
howell wrote:Looks like it was a huge board - about twice the normal size. Kinda unusual.

You mind explaining a bit further? Are you a current AF Jag? Thanks!

Current AF Jag. Looks like I was a bit off the numbers. It looks like the last several boards have selected around 30-40 people. This board selected 60+. Still a pretty big board.

If this is indeed true, it just makes me feel more hopeless....

The guy from my school who they selected is awesome. I don't mind losing out to him. The same is probably true for all the selectees.

That said... With a 6% selection rate, there is nothing to ashamed of. At least half the applicants were competitors: you, me, others on this board. They undoubtedly had a really hard time choosing. Both the Army and AF interviewers told me straight up I was a good candidate, but even good candidates can get passed over because they get so many good applicants. Don't feel bad, feel honored you got to compete.

Chin up. Every loss an opportunity, everything happens for a reason.

Rotor

Postby Rotor » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:26 am

spleenworship wrote:Chin up. Every loss an opportunity, everything happens for a reason.

This.

I had all the things to make me competitive for command of a helicopter squadron. I didn't get it, which also signaled I would be a terminal O-5. Of course I was bummed at the time, but as with JAG selections, far more great candidates than slots. However, if I had selected for command, I would have stayed in rather than going to law school (which I loved) and putting my on my current path (which I also love).

<echo>Everything happens for a reason.</echo>

yurishima

Postby yurishima » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:47 am

Last edited by yurishima on Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 71723 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:53 am

yurishima wrote:What's the process/deadline for reapplying for the December Board? Do I have to reinterview? Maybe I should even if I don't have to since that seems to be the only thing that I can actually change.

From my understanding, the rejection letter will contain the info on how to automatically re-apply for the December board without having to re-interview

agreeableobjections

Postby agreeableobjections » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:30 pm

Any thoughts on when we can expect to hear from the Navy? I'm refreshing my status on the page every few hours--it's distracting!

maxpayne

Postby maxpayne » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:40 pm

spleenworship wrote:Chin up. Every loss an opportunity, everything happens for a reason.

I feel ya Spleen. My SJA emailed me yesterday, stating I wasn't selected but to keep on grinding and applying. I intend to keep on doing just that. At least we don't have to wait months for another shot. We have another AF Board (my 3rd AF Board) and the Army Fall Board (my 1st) next month with the results of each hopefullly being released before the new year.

yurishima wrote:I admire all of your optimism. Meanwhile I'm freaking out. This just means I'm one day closer to graduation without a goddamn job.

What's the process/deadline for reapplying for the December Board? Do I have to reinterview? Maybe I should even if I don't have to since that seems to be the only thing that I can actually change.

Don't panic on the job thing. It will come. I didn't get my job until two weeks before the Texas bar exam. lol. Plus, you still have many months before you graduate.

As far as reapplying to the December Board, I am pretty sure that everyone who applied to the AF October Board and weren't selected are automatically re-considered for the December Board. So, no - you don't have to reinterview, even if October was your reconsideration. Also, I am pretty sure you couldn't re-interview if you wanted to because the deadline to do so has already past.

brando4545

Postby brando4545 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:50 pm

yurishima wrote:I admire all of your optimism. Meanwhile I'm freaking out. This just means I'm one day closer to graduation without a goddamn job.

What's the process/deadline for reapplying for the December Board? Do I have to reinterview? Maybe I should even if I don't have to since that seems to be the only thing that I can actually change.

This is precisely the attitude that will make sure you do NOT get selected - one of the few constants I've been told from my contacts in Army JAG is that the board makes every attempt to weed out people applying just to get a job. I'm not saying that a job is the only reason you're applying, but if you come across as desperate for a job, your odds of getting selected lower dramatically.

I was in your situation when I was in law school, after doing a internship my 2L year at the UN and then at the ATF, I found myself without a job heading into graduation. However, I (as almost everyone I graduated with), eventually found something. Panic is your worst enemy at this point - the more you can control it, the more likely you are to get accepted either to JAG or some other job.

JAG Dog

Postby JAG Dog » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:52 pm

71723 wrote:
yurishima wrote:What's the process/deadline for reapplying for the December Board? Do I have to reinterview? Maybe I should even if I don't have to since that seems to be the only thing that I can actually change.

From my understanding, the rejection letter will contain the info on how to automatically re-apply for the December board without having to re-interview

I was told by the SJA here that because everything for October was so delayed, anyone not accepted from that board would automatically be reconsidered for December.

edit: this may only apply to those for whom October was their first board.

target

Postby target » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:43 pm

Rotor wrote:

This.

I had all the things to make me competitive for command of a helicopter squadron. I didn't get it, which also signaled I would be a terminal O-5. Of course I was bummed at the time, but as with JAG selections, far more great candidates than slots. However, if I had selected for command, I would have stayed in rather than going to law school (which I loved) and putting my on my current path (which I also love).

Thanks for these encouragements! I am not desperate for a job, but would much prefer JAG than my other option. With family commitment and what not, it would just be really challenging for me to keep applying for JAG and not putting my foot down and moving on. Moreover, this is my second time applying. I am running out of things to improve upon to make my application better; or at least I just hope someone would tell me what to do to make my application better. Lastly, when I walked out of my interview, I felt really good about it. But the result seems to be the same as my last board, so there is disappointment.

I agree that this is a competitive process; I knew this when I applied. And I believe those who are selected are absolutely deserving. But part of me was hoping that my application were competitive enough and I were also deserving for an opportunity to serve. Anyway,

Postby 31415926 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:57 pm

brando4545 wrote:

This is precisely the attitude that will make sure you do NOT get selected - one of the few constants I've been told from my contacts in Army JAG is that the board makes every attempt to weed out people applying just to get a job. I'm not saying that a job is the only reason you're applying, but if you come across as desperate for a job, your odds of getting selected lower dramatically.

I was in your situation when I was in law school, after doing a internship my 2L year at the UN and then at the ATF, I found myself without a job heading into graduation. However, I (as almost everyone I graduated with), eventually found something. Panic is your worst enemy at this point - the more you can control it, the more likely you are to get accepted either to JAG or some other job.

This seems a bit harsh - it's not mutually exclusive to have your heart set on JAG above all other jobs and also worry about being unemployed in general. Expressing panic to an anonymous internet board isn't quite the same as spouting panic about unemployment in his/her interviews.

Patrick Bateman

Postby Patrick Bateman » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:17 am

Rotor wrote:

This.

I'm glad Rotor raised this in respect to active duty life as well.

The AF JAGs scheduled to PCS the summer of 2014 (maybe 1/3d of us each year) were all notified of our assignments over the past two weeks (as I've said, JAX is seriously busy this time of year). This leads to elation and relief from some, disappointment and resignation from others - very similar to what you all are going through at the moment. The "everything happens for a reason" truism applies when you are wearing the uniform as well - my second assignment was a disappointment and it ended up being a pretty miserable year for me. That assignment, however, then lead to my selection as a defense counsel - my goal from day one. That then lead to a great overseas assignment and all of that enabled me to get my number one pick for 2014.

It was impossible to know all that back in 2010 - it just looked like I was getting the fuzzy end of the lollypop. Then it truly came together down the road. Keep your heads up, you never know how things will actually shake out.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:10 am

jmls1987 wrote:Congrats to all who made it ! 6% selection rate is insane. Good luck to all others who are still waiting as well.

Just did the math. 1000 applicants for 60 opportunities. That's amazing. At least the Air Force can be sure they are getting really good JAs.

Kind of hoping nobody wanted to be in the Navy to give me a better shot there, :lol: :lol:

andythefir

Postby andythefir » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:25 am

Will there also be an increase in the Navy/Army classes to better handle the new regulations?

erik_1717

Postby erik_1717 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:42 pm

andythefir wrote:Will there also be an increase in the Navy/Army classes to better handle the new regulations?

Let's hope so! But I doubt anyone on here has any direct knowledge as to whether or not any branches will.

Lalarsh

Postby Lalarsh » Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:42 pm

I was selected to Air Force JAG this week. My first board. I've lurked in here for sometime, and I've picked up quite a bit of useful info and advice that I used, so I figured I'd better try and contribute something.

I have no previous military experience, family history in the military, etc. I will say this, I pretty much put all my eggs in the JAG basket when I came to law school. I figured, go big or go home right? Aside from doing pretty much everything you can do to paint a picture of me wanting to be a JAG--things like work during law school on the base, etc.--I marketed myself as not needing a job. Many of the JAGs told me that so many interviewees reek of needing a job. It comes through, the interviewer can almost always easily sniff it out, and I was advised that it completely torpedoes any chance at anyone believing that you're serious about serving, and that you want to serve for the right reasons.

So I went in with the byline that I didn't "need" this job or really any job for that matter. And quite frankly in this anonymous forum, that was true. Before law school I was a professional trader/money manager. I basically said, "Hey, if I don't get this I'll be crestfallen, depressed, maybe even mentally unstable, but I won't lack for a job. But I don't want a job, I want to be a JAG." So aside from having a meticulously assembled application that I painstakingly compiled throughout my entire law school career, I think this was important. Honestly, this isn't to brag, only to merely say what I did and said that I think made a difference.

BunnySlippers

Postby BunnySlippers » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:15 pm

Congrats to AF selectees! Those odds are staggering.
Last edited by BunnySlippers on Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Legal Employment”