Military Law

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Re: Military Law

Postby LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:37 pm

For those that applied to the Army, do you remember how long your application status stayed at "under completeness review?" I seem to recall it being about two weeks last year for the internship, but I submitted close to the deadline this year and am slightly more anxious about it.

maxpayne

Postby maxpayne » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:40 pm

armyhooah wrote:Hey y'all! Army JAG Fall Board applicant here. Was wondering if there are any others, so we can survive the wait together :) I was told sometime in January, but not sure when. Does anyone know if it's early, mid, or late January?

I am also waiting for Army Jag results. It seems results are released late december or early january.

mlittle5

Postby mlittle5 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:14 pm

LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:For those that applied to the Army, do you remember how long your application status stayed at "under completeness review?" I seem to recall it being about two weeks last year for the internship, but I submitted close to the deadline this year and am slightly more anxious about it.

My Active Duty still says under review, and I submitted over a month and a half ago.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:32 pm

mlittle5 wrote:
LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:For those that applied to the Army, do you remember how long your application status stayed at "under completeness review?" I seem to recall it being about two weeks last year for the internship, but I submitted close to the deadline this year and am slightly more anxious about it.

My Active Duty still says under review, and I submitted over a month and a half ago.

Same, only I did have to resubmit because one of my transcripts didn't upload correctly or whatnot.

Pdk7

Postby Pdk7 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:31 pm

maxpayne wrote:
armyhooah wrote:Hey y'all! Army JAG Fall Board applicant here. Was wondering if there are any others, so we can survive the wait together :) I was told sometime in January, but not sure when. Does anyone know if it's early, mid, or late January?

I am also waiting for Army Jag results. It seems results are released late december or early january.

We found out a few days before Christmas last year. Also our Application deadline was pushed back a week to Nov. 8 because of Hurricane Sandy. So theres that.

I know how you guys feel (all of you, including you guys waiting on AF/Navy results). I went through this with the internship two years ago, Army active duty last year, and bar results this year. It sucks so hard. But you guys should really find a way to chill out. You're gonna drive yourselves crazy and make yourselves feel worse by focusing on when results come out. It sucks, but its out of your hands now. Focus on finishing strong in school or bar prep, because you still have to pass those hurdles too even if you do get picked up. Relax a little, breathe, and carry on. :D

boarder78

Postby boarder78 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:57 pm

spleenworship wrote:
mlittle5 wrote:

Same, only I did have to resubmit because one of my transcripts didn't upload correctly or whatnot.

I guess that means we're all under review still. It'll probably be late Dec/early Jan that we find out. That's when they did it last year. My close friend got in last year, so I'm hoping this is my year!

jmls1987

Postby jmls1987 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:42 pm

My status turned a few days ago to "Pending Board Decision" I am only appling to Army 2L internship. Also, I submitted my app on the 30th of Oct.

WanderingPondering

Postby WanderingPondering » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:38 pm

Congrats to any 3Ls and graduates who were accepted into USMC OCC with a law contract today!

The rest of the 1Ls and 2Ls will be waiting until February for our shot at selection.

boarder78

Postby boarder78 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:16 am

Does anyone have experience as a licensed attorney getting into the Army JAG Corps? How quickly were you commissioned (from acceptance to training)?
Also, where are the ideal Army bases for families? Preferably coastal...

armyhooah

Postby armyhooah » Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:08 pm

I'm also a licensed attorney. I just asked one of the Captains I work with about this, and he said it just depends on what class they can fit/decide to fit you in. He waited 8 months but has heard of people waiting a lot less.

boarder78 wrote:Does anyone have experience as a licensed attorney getting into the Army JAG Corps? How quickly were you commissioned (from acceptance to training)?

boarder78

Postby boarder78 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:49 am

armyhooah wrote:I'm also a licensed attorney. I just asked one of the Captains I work with about this, and he said it just depends on what class they can fit/decide to fit you in. He waited 8 months but has heard of people waiting a lot less.

boarder78 wrote:Does anyone have experience as a licensed attorney getting into the Army JAG Corps? How quickly were you commissioned (from acceptance to training)?

8 months isn't too bad. My friend got in last year (not licensed) and will deploy in January if he passes the Bar. 8 months is better than 12! Less would definitely be better.

Are you a licensed (non-Army) attorney working with JAG Captains? Or are you already in the Army?
Last edited by boarder78 on Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

yurishima

Postby yurishima » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:30 am

...Air Force has to be this week! Just HAS to be!

...right?

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:13 pm

yurishima wrote:...Air Force has to be this week! Just HAS to be!

...right?

It'll happen when it happens. I'm guessing TJAG has a lot on his plate what with being TJAG and all. At least we know that there will be a decision made and that the process is moving, even if it isn't quite as fast as we'd like.

That said, if I had to guess, I'd guess TJAG will make a decision this week. An they'll let us know. I'm betting nobody wants us to wait until December... And with thanksgiving coming up fast, they'll probably do what they can to let us know this week.

Chants

Postby Chants » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:44 pm

Any word on whether the army will have a spring board this year? Or a general time frame as to when that announcement might be made?

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:43 pm

Chants wrote:Any word on whether the army will have a spring board this year? Or a general time frame as to when that announcement might be made?

They specifically stated no spring board on their website.

Ranger85

Postby Ranger85 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:15 am

I do know that the Army internship board and active duty board are almost an entirely differant group of members so, no one should be worried that an intern applicant is getting the "pending board decision" status while us active duty folks still are getting "under completeness review".

twenty

Postby twenty » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:52 pm

Quick question, I'm a 0L with a almost-certain shot at a reserve component of a military branch. If I accept the commission, does that kill any chance of active duty JAG 3-4 years from now after law school?

lobochi

Postby lobochi » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:44 pm

Hey guys, I've been tracking this page to see if anyone had heard back, but just made the name to let you know I just received my selection call from the Air Force, 5:00 CT. I interviewed out of Grissom AFB.

womeninblack

Postby womeninblack » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:52 pm

Just received a call letting me know that I was selected for AF Jag!

maxpayne

Postby maxpayne » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:58 pm

Congrats y'all!!!!!! That's so awesome!!

I guess the list dropped this afternoon. So, I guess if the rest of us don't hear anything by tomorrow then on to the December board!

Patrick Bateman

Postby Patrick Bateman » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:21 pm

maxpayne wrote:Congrats y'all!!!!!! That's so awesome!!

I guess the list dropped this afternoon. So, I guess if the rest of us don't hear anything by tomorrow then on to the December board!

The selection list has indeed dropped. Good luck to you all.

maxpayne

Postby maxpayne » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:27 pm

P-Bate: you think we should still have hope if we didn't hear this evening?

Second_Law

Postby Second_Law » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:56 pm

Got the call about 30 minutes ago (SJA and I are both Pacific Time)! Couldn't be more excited. Good luck to those still waiting. Calls are made by the interviewing SJA, so calls will probably still be going out tomorrow, and maybe even after that if the SJA is particularly busy or on leave/TDY.

target

Postby target » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:18 pm

Big congrats to those who got the call!!!

Maybe I am not meant to serve.

Patrick Bateman

Postby Patrick Bateman » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:57 pm

maxpayne wrote:P-Bate: you think we should still have hope if we didn't hear this evening?

I would say if you have not heard anything by 21 November, you very likely did not make the cut for this board.

On the plus side, you all are so close to the December board that the second bite at the apple will come soon.

Return to “Legal Employment”