Military Law

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
NAOBERJU

Re: Military Law

Postby NAOBERJU » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:55 pm

I believe that the Army arranged for housing for interns working outside of the U.S. All I can confirm is that my housing was covered. I had a friend who interned at a base in the U.S. and he had to pay for his housing. I did have to pay for the plane ticket. I received a letter of recommendation from my supervisor, an O-3. However, my official evaluation was signed by an O-6. The Army has an official evaluation form for all interns, and it is filled out at the end of the internship. I had to do an actual "interview" type thing with the O-6 prior to the evaluation. Hope that helps.

jmls1987

Postby jmls1987 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:26 pm

NAOBERJU wrote:I believe that the Army arranged for housing for interns working outside of the U.S. All I can confirm is that my housing was covered. I had a friend who interned at a base in the U.S. and he had to pay for his housing. I did have to pay for the plane ticket. I received a letter of recommendation from my supervisor, an O-3. However, my official evaluation was signed by an O-6. The Army has an official evaluation form for all interns, and it is filled out at the end of the internship. I had to do an actual "interview" type thing with the O-6 prior to the evaluation. Hope that helps.

Yup...definitely helped. Do you or anyone else know what selection rates are for Army JAG summer internship? Also, what was a typical day like in Germany ? PT at 5ish, day starts at 9 ...leave around 5?

emotiondetector

Postby emotiondetector » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:05 pm

October Board Results:

Does anyone have an update from JAX on a timetable? Last time I called, the deadline was Friday, November 15. I want to call again, but I'm tired of nagging.
Last edited by emotiondetector on Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

yurishima

Postby yurishima » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:16 pm

I keep thinking I should call to show that I'm still interested but I'm afraid I'll say something wrong and all my chances will go out the window!

No word here, for what it's worth.

emotiondetector

Postby emotiondetector » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:20 pm

yurishima wrote:I keep thinking I should call to show that I'm still interested but I'm afraid I'll say something wrong and all my chances will go out the window!

I don't think they're keeping track. But yeah, I'm trying to be more Zen about the whole thing. Unfortunately, my constant checking of this forum is frustrating my attempt.

CoolJustice13

Postby CoolJustice13 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:20 pm

emotiondetector wrote:October Board Results:

Does anyone have an update from JAX on a timetable? Last time I called, it was Friday, November 15. I want to call, but I'm tired of nagging.

I just called and Capt. Mallone stated that results will be released "sometime in November."

emotiondetector

Postby emotiondetector » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:37 pm

Is Patrick Bateman still on here? In the past, when the list has dropped he's known beforehand. I'd like to know what he has heard.

CoolJustice13

Postby CoolJustice13 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:41 pm

emotiondetector wrote:Is Patrick Bateman still on here? In the past, when the list has dropped he's known beforehand. I'd like to know what he has heard.

You could also call 1-800-JAG-USAF or email Capt. Mallone. Her contact information is here: http://www.airforce.com/jag/contact_JAG. They are really helpful.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:00 pm

CoolJustice13 wrote:

Does anyone have an update from JAX on a timetable? Last time I called, it was Friday, November 15. I want to call, but I'm tired of nagging.

I just called and Capt. Mallone stated that results will be released "sometime in November."

I'm reading that as "not this week." Maybe next week eh?

Postby 31415926 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:39 pm

spleenworship wrote:
CoolJustice13 wrote:

I'm reading that as "not this week." Maybe next week eh?

Anyone get the feeling that "sometime in November" may turn into "sometime in December"?

Do we know if the board has actually met yet?

emotiondetector

Postby emotiondetector » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:39 pm

31415926 wrote:Do we know if the board has actually met yet?

Yes. They have met. All we are waiting on now is the results.

toster19

Postby toster19 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:46 pm

at this rate, the Navy board results might be out before Air Force.

target

Postby target » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:24 pm

Got a phone call from an unknown number...heart pounding hard...answered the call...and it was a wrong number :(

maxpayne

Postby maxpayne » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:27 pm

This wait is rough.

maxpayne

Postby maxpayne » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:50 pm

I just feel bad for the 3Ls waiting because they are gearing up for finals now too. Lol.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:49 pm

maxpayne wrote:I just feel bad for the 3Ls waiting because they are gearing up for finals now too. Lol.

Aren't you 2Ls gearing up too?

ETA: frankly, now that I'm in 3L I care way less about my finals. I'm taking almost everything for pass/fail and even if I ended up with all Cs, I'd still be above median for graduation.

Patrick Bateman

Postby Patrick Bateman » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:57 pm

emotiondetector wrote:Is Patrick Bateman still on here? In the past, when the list has dropped he's known beforehand. I'd like to know what he has heard.

I've never had any advance intel on the selection list. I just looked for when it got posted - it is on the same secure site all the other JAG Corps members can view. Nothing special. I'm stationed halfway around the world from DC and have no connection to JAX, so I have no inside information or anything like that.

What I will suggest is to stop hassling JAX. I promise you that calls to that office will not accelerate the time table here at all. The selection recommendations made by the board have to be vetted by our TJAG, who at the three star level, has some other things on his plate, including reviewing assignment recommendations for officers PCSing this summer, deployments, responding to a Congress that is suddenly very interested in the UCMJ, and running the entire AF JAG Corps. Pinging that poor Captain is not going to change anything. To borrow from the Tyler Durden, "You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." The results will go out when it is time for them to go out.

This thread has always been good about getting the notification out once the SJA phone calls start going out to selectees. I'm sure that tradition will be maintained. Until then, chill out.

NAOBERJU

Postby NAOBERJU » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:03 am

jmls1987 wrote:
NAOBERJU wrote:I believe that the Army arranged for housing for interns working outside of the U.S. All I can confirm is that my housing was covered. I had a friend who interned at a base in the U.S. and he had to pay for his housing. I did have to pay for the plane ticket. I received a letter of recommendation from my supervisor, an O-3. However, my official evaluation was signed by an O-6. The Army has an official evaluation form for all interns, and it is filled out at the end of the internship. I had to do an actual "interview" type thing with the O-6 prior to the evaluation. Hope that helps.

Yup...definitely helped. Do you or anyone else know what selection rates are for Army JAG summer internship? Also, what was a typical day like in Germany ? PT at 5ish, day starts at 9 ...leave around 5?

PT in the morning 3 days a week. The rest of the week, I went in to the office at 7:30 AM. I left when I was done with work. Sometimes that was at 5:00. Sometimes that was 7:00, 8:00 or 9:00 PM. There were several courts-martial and I wanted as much experience as possible. If court went late or there was more work to be done, then I stayed. I do not know the selection rate for the Army JAG internship. I think it is fairly competitive. Regardless, I would highly recommend it as a summer opportunity. I am a Graduate Law Clerk right now with a District Attorney's Office--my class date with the Army JAG Corps is June 2014. The DA's office loved the prior internship experience with the military. It was something interesting to bring up and talk about during the interview.

armyhooah

Postby armyhooah » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:47 am

Hey y'all! Army JAG Fall Board applicant here. Was wondering if there are any others, so we can survive the wait together :) I was told sometime in January, but not sure when. Does anyone know if it's early, mid, or late January?

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:24 am

armyhooah wrote:Hey y'all! Army JAG Fall Board applicant here. Was wondering if there are any others, so we can survive the wait together :) I was told sometime in January, but not sure when. Does anyone know if it's early, mid, or late January?

I was told Late December or early January by my interviewer. But like all things having to do with military employment, I ain't holding my breath.

CoolJustice13

Postby CoolJustice13 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:55 am

AF JAG just made a post on the Facebook page about the results being released once TJAG makes his decision. Here's the link to the post: --LinkRemoved--

CoolJustice13

Postby CoolJustice13 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:58 am

CoolJustice13 wrote:AF JAG just made a post on the Facebook page about the results being released once TJAG makes his decision. Here's the link to the post: --LinkRemoved--

"****ATTENTION****
The United States Air Force JAG Corps October 2013 Direct Appointment Board (DAP) met as scheduled in October. Results will be released once The Judge Advocate General makes his decisions. Thank you for your pattience and good luck to each of you!"

maxpayne

Postby maxpayne » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:40 am

CoolJustice13 wrote:
CoolJustice13 wrote:AF JAG just made a post on the Facebook page about the results being released once TJAG makes his decision. Here's the link to the post: --LinkRemoved--

"****ATTENTION****
The United States Air Force JAG Corps October 2013 Direct Appointment Board (DAP) met as scheduled in October. Results will be released once The Judge Advocate General makes his decisions. Thank you for your pattience and good luck to each of you!"

Sweet! I bet someone on here will get the call pretty soon. Just a hunch.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:09 pm

Tomorrow is my bet. Next week or sure.

maxpayne

Postby maxpayne » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:15 pm

spleenworship wrote:Tomorrow is my bet. Next week or sure.

My thoughts exactly.

Return to “Legal Employment”