Military Law

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
spleenworship

Re: Military Law

Postby spleenworship » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:46 pm

Congrats to Moves!

womeninblack

Postby womeninblack » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:51 pm

yurishima wrote:
Moves like JAGger wrote:Hey all. I was shocked and excited to learn today that the Air Force needs me at Ramstein AB, Germany. !

I was under the impression that first the SJA would contact us if accepted, and then later the assignment board would talk with us re location. You heard back regarding both acceptance and assignment on the same day? And it was Germany, without any preference?

..maybe I'm just jealous. Germany, after all.

I believe Moves like JAGger was an April DAP select . . . I don't think the Oct. results have been posted yet.

Moves like JAGger

Postby Moves like JAGger » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:52 pm

I'm an April board selectee. Sorry for the confusion.

yurishima

Postby yurishima » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:12 pm

Oh, no, I'm sorry for the assumption. As you can tell, I'm kind of on edge waiting for word.

Anyway, congratulations.

jmls1987

Postby jmls1987 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:14 pm

Esquire wrote:
allAF wrote:
brando4545 wrote:The SLRP makes yearly payments to your loan, for 3 years. Each year (the date of the payment corresponds to your enlistment date), they will pay 1/3. While your loan is in repayment from the government, federal loans qualify for deferment - meaning you submit something to them in writing requesting a deferment of your payments while the loan is in repayment - they have to grant it, and are required by law to do so.

The SLRP does not make monthly payments, or anything like that. Further, it is on you to coordinate for deferment with your loan company. Also, interest continues to accrue while it is in repayment. You can get the SLRP to cover federal loans (at least you used to be able to), but whether they grant you a deferment is up to them.

To clarify slightly, active duty military members with federal student loans qualify for a deferment based on their active duty military status, regardless of whether they qualify for a SLRP program or whether they have chosen to participate in it.

Not necessarily all active duty military members. "[A] period of active duty military service during a war, military operation, or national emergency" http://studentaid.ed.gov/repay-loans/de ... orbearance

I'd like to think, during the GWOT, any military service is during a war or military operation. I believe not all lenders see the same, however.

So is there a concrete answer? If selected to Army JAG, would I be able to defer loans or have the 65K SLRP take care of my student loans each year? Current JAGs...how are you handling loans?

andythefir

Postby andythefir » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:44 pm

So is there a concrete answer? If selected to Army JAG, would I be able to defer loans or have the 65K SLRP take care of my student loans each year? Current JAGs...how are you handling loans?[/quote]

I don't understand your urgency unless your plan is to move back to the private sector after getting out. It makes way more sense to use IBR/PAYE then either stay in the JAG for 10 years or pivot to the (veteran preference) government sector, then have the whole thing forgiven.

maxpayne

Postby maxpayne » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:51 pm

andythefir wrote:So is there a concrete answer? If selected to Army JAG, would I be able to defer loans or have the 65K SLRP take care of my student loans each year? Current JAGs...how are you handling loans?

I don't understand your urgency unless your plan is to move back to the private sector after getting out. It makes way more sense to use IBR/PAYE then either stay in the JAG for 10 years or pivot to the (veteran preference) government sector, then have the whole thing forgiven.[/quote]

Either way - you will only make a base salary of about $45k give or take your first four years. So, your PAYE or IBR payments will be super low. Like $200 to $400 if you have ~$100k debt.

allAF

Postby allAF » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:55 am

My bad for forgetting that not everyone gets their student loans through the government - if you did (i.e. Direct Loans), you will qualify for a deferment once you are active because of GWOT. I can't speak for private lenders, although I would think that many offer similar benefits to active duty military members simply to remain competitive.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:45 am

I'm goin to talk to the other guy at my school that I know applied USAF. Maybe he's heard back (he's a shoo in IMO). I get the feeling someone ITT is going to get the call, but I can't help but wonder if none of us will. Feeling a little paranoid I guess. :lol:

maxpayne

Postby maxpayne » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:28 am

spleenworship wrote:I'm goin to talk to the other guy at my school that I know applied USAF. Maybe he's heard back (he's a shoo in IMO). I get the feeling someone ITT is going to get the call, but I can't help but wonder if none of us will. Feeling a little paranoid I guess. :lol:

I was wondering the same thing yesterday - that no one was selected on TLS or on airforceots. Haha. But, that is very unlikely.

What makes the guy a "shoe-in"?

yurishima

Postby yurishima » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:42 am

Today's gotta be the day, right? Right?!?!

It's still early yet!

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:47 am

maxpayne wrote:
spleenworship wrote:I'm goin to talk to the other guy at my school that I know applied USAF. Maybe he's heard back (he's a shoo in IMO). I get the feeling someone ITT is going to get the call, but I can't help but wonder if none of us will. Feeling a little paranoid I guess. :lol:

I was wondering the same thing yesterday - that no one was selected on TLS or on airforceots. Haha. But, that is very unlikely.

What makes the guy a "shoe-in"?

I'll PM

maxpayne

Postby maxpayne » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:50 am

yurishima wrote:Today's gotta be the day, right? Right?!?!

It's still early yet!

I am pretty sure everyone has given up guessing. haha. We should know before the end of November though - that's the only thing seems certain.

emotiondetector

Postby emotiondetector » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:23 pm

My hypothesis is for this round, SJAs are not giving calls. Everyone will find out through letters which will be sent on Monday.

I agree that if they do call, then someone on this board made it and will let us know.

maxpayne

Postby maxpayne » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:26 pm

emotiondetector wrote:My hypothesis is for this round, SJAs are not giving calls. Everyone will find out through letters which will be sent on Monday.

I agree that if they do call, then someone on this board made it and will let us know.

I hope that isn't the case. I can see someone getting a letter from the AF JAG and automatically ripping it up because they assume it is a rejection letter. Haha.

I highly doubt they do that though.

emotiondetector

Postby emotiondetector » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:59 pm

maxpayne wrote:
I hope that isn't the case. I can see someone getting a letter from the AF JAG and automatically ripping it up because they assume it is a rejection letter.

Everyone knows rejection letters come in small envelopes and acceptance letters come in large envelopes. :wink:

CoolJustice13

Postby CoolJustice13 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:04 pm

Hey Guys!!! :| I nominate :arrow: maxpayne to call TJAG and ask the status of the 1 Oct. board! :D

maxpayne

Postby maxpayne » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:13 pm

CoolJustice13 wrote:Hey Guys!!! :| I nominate :arrow: maxpayne to call TJAG and ask the status of the 1 Oct. board! :D

Haha. I asked when results might be released in my email inquiring about the automatic reconsideration for the Dec. board.

This is the answer I received: "We expect results to be released sometime in November."

emotiondetector

Postby emotiondetector » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:22 pm

All they will say is that everyone will know by November 15. That response won't change, regardless if the list drops.

CoolJustice13

Postby CoolJustice13 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:33 pm

maxpayne wrote:
CoolJustice13 wrote:Hey Guys!!! :| I nominate :arrow: maxpayne to call TJAG and ask the status of the 1 Oct. board! :D

Haha. I asked when results might be released in my email inquiring about the automatic reconsideration for the Dec. board.

This is the answer I received: "We expect results to be released sometime in November."

I called yesterday and the Capt.'s response was "sometime in November..." Her response changed!!!!! It was 15 November.....

emotiondetector

Postby emotiondetector » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:36 pm

CoolJustice13 wrote:I called yesterday and the Capt.'s response was "sometime in November..." Her response changed!!!!! It was 15 November.....

That's hilarious. This whole thing has gotten ridiculous.

Esquire

Postby Esquire » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:45 pm

Congrats to the newest member of the JAGs in Germany club. It is awesome. I travel to a different country every month. See who else from your peers gets to do that. And you live pretty well. I'm not a huge spender but at the end of every month, I have about $4000 of absolutely discretionary income.

ganja

Postby ganja » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:51 pm

Any JAGs out there facing over $150k in debt? I'd like to know how you guys are handling it. I'm sure IBR and the ten year forgiveness program are probably making it easier on you but how much of a burden is it? I'm looking at $150k+ in debt when finished with law school but I'm trying not to freak out about it. I've never ever taken out any sort of loan over $200 so for me at least, a six figure debt is quite daunting.

erik_1717

Postby erik_1717 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:59 pm

ganja wrote:Any JAGs out there facing over $150k in debt? I'd like to know how you guys are handling it. I'm sure IBR and the ten year forgiveness program are probably making it easier on you but how much of a burden is it? I'm looking at $150k+ in debt when finished with law school but I'm trying not to freak out about it. I've never ever taken out any sort of loan over $200 so for me at least, a six figure debt is quite daunting.

Pay as you earn is another option to IBR that I think is better. I forget the exact details but last year I met with my school's financial aid office and asked about IBR. The counselor told me that the monthly payments are even better under the "pay as you earn" program. Both are good options though if you're looking to do the 10 year program. If I'm able to get a government job, I'll probably look to do one of these programs and work public service for 10 years. It is pretty amazing how broad the 10 year program can stretch as far as employment. The general rule of thumb my counselor told me to follow was that if your debt is greater than your salary, the ten year program will be the better option. I'm sure there is someone out there with more insight but this is the brief understanding I have of some of these programs.

EDIT: http://studentaid.ed.gov/repay-loans/un ... s-you-earn
This may help understand pay as you earn better.

ganja

Postby ganja » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:04 pm

erik_1717 wrote:
ganja wrote:Any JAGs out there facing over $150k in debt? I'd like to know how you guys are handling it. I'm sure IBR and the ten year forgiveness program are probably making it easier on you but how much of a burden is it? I'm looking at $150k+ in debt when finished with law school but I'm trying not to freak out about it. I've never ever taken out any sort of loan over $200 so for me at least, a six figure debt is quite daunting.

Pay as you earn is another option to IBR that I think is better. I forget the exact details but last year I met with my school's financial aid office and asked about IBR. The counselor told me that the monthly payments are even better under the "pay as you earn" program. Both are good options though if you're looking to do the 10 year program. If I'm able to get a government job, I'll probably look to do one of these programs and work public service for 10 years. It is pretty amazing how broad the 10 year program can stretch as far as employment. The general rule of thumb my counselor told me to follow was that if your debt is greater than your salary, the ten year program will be the better option. I'm sure there is someone out there with more insight but this is the brief understanding I have of some of these programs.

EDIT: http://studentaid.ed.gov/repay-loans/un ... s-you-earn
This may help understand pay as you earn better.

Thanks for the read! Yea I'm thinking getting a public sector gig might be the way to go at least for the first ten years of my career if I am not offered a good enough salary which probably won't happen given the debt. I'd like to hear how you or any other JAGs are handling massive loan debts

Return to “Legal Employment”