Military Law

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
spleenworship

Re: Military Law

Postby spleenworship » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:23 pm

31415926 wrote:Does anyone have any news on when the Navy results will be out?

No. But ten weeks from the deadline is like December 13th. So I'm guessing January. :lol:

boarder78

Postby boarder78 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:40 pm

Ranger85 wrote:
boarder78 wrote:Are we waiting until late December/early January again for our Army results?

Last year when I got accepted to the internship it was between Christmas and new years my FSO called me to tell me. So I think that time frame is correct if you get accepted then maybe JAN/FEB you'll get a rejection letter if your not accepted.

Thanks! My FSO calls either way (good/bad news) so here's to hoping it's good news this year!

jmls1987

Postby jmls1987 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:28 pm

I have a question about the $65K student loan repayment program offered by the Army and AF JAG Corps. Once SLRP kicks in, does this mean new JAGs do not have to worry about payments on their student loans during the contract period?

Since it counts as taxable income, I was hoping that SLRP takes care of loan payments for people who have well over 65K in debt

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:31 pm

jmls1987 wrote:I have a question about the $65K student loan repayment program offered by the Army and AF JAG Corps. Once SLRP kicks in, does this mean new JAGs do not have to worry about payments on their student loans during the contract period?

Since it counts as taxable income, I was hoping that SLRP takes care of loan payments for people who have well over 65K in debt

I'm curious about this too. I assumed that you will still make payments, but huge chunks of your principle would simply disappear every so often.

brando4545

Postby brando4545 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:24 am

The SLRP makes yearly payments to your loan, for 3 years. Each year (the date of the payment corresponds to your enlistment date), they will pay 1/3. While your loan is in repayment from the government, federal loans qualify for deferment - meaning you submit something to them in writing requesting a deferment of your payments while the loan is in repayment - they have to grant it, and are required by law to do so.

The SLRP does not make monthly payments, or anything like that. Further, it is on you to coordinate for deferment with your loan company. Also, interest continues to accrue while it is in repayment. You can get the SLRP to cover federal loans (at least you used to be able to), but whether they grant you a deferment is up to them.

EstebanMFernandez

Postby EstebanMFernandez » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:21 pm

Hello! Sorry if this has been addressed earlier, but I can't find it on the 190 pages of this thread. I am an incoming law student who will probably be going to a T14 (based on stats). I am pretty set on doing JAG -it's been a dream of mine to do law and serve in the military. Does anyone know what steps I should take to become competitive ? How hard is it to get into the programs necessary for a JAG program out of law school?

mylifeis24

Postby mylifeis24 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:24 pm

Hello JAGs! I'm highly interested in joining the either the JAG corps of USAF, USN or USA, but have two questions:

1) In the end, I would like to go biglaw, and I understand that it makes more sense to do JAG straight out of law school because of the age benefit and the trial experience. But how hard is it to enter Biglaw after 4-5 years of JAG commitment?

2) What is the JAG Reserve Corps like? Is this a good alternative to serving as a JAG/military duty while pursuing biglaw right out of law school?

mylifeis24

Postby mylifeis24 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:24 pm

Hello JAGs! I'm highly interested in joining the either the JAG corps of USAF, USN or USA, but have two questions:

1) In the end, I would like to go biglaw, and I understand that it makes more sense to do JAG straight out of law school because of the age benefit and the trial experience. But how hard is it to enter Biglaw after 4-5 years of JAG commitment?

2) What is the JAG Reserve Corps like? Is this a good alternative to serving as a JAG/military duty while pursuing biglaw right out of law school?

ganja

Postby ganja » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:18 am

I actually came across a pretty cool story about the armed forces today. Unfortunately, I can't post the link on here fron my phone but the Army is constructing an "iron man" like suit set to be presented in about a year. I'm wondering what type of legal guidelines will be set for it's use. I'd love to hear what you guys think about this! Cheers!

allAF

Postby allAF » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:37 am

maxpayne wrote:
ganja wrote:Question for JAGs who have a considerable amount of student loan debt: Is just about every JAG eligible for the ten year loan forgiveness program? I ask because if as a JAG, let's say you usually make between $40k-$50k starting but your wife's job puts your combined income above that and say you dont qualify for IBR because of that, can you still get your outstanding loan balance taken care of after 120 payments or are you only eligible for that program if you display "financial assistance" as defined by the IBR program?

Yes. It is my understanding that you do not have to qualify for IBR to take advantage of the public service loan forgiveness after 10 years. Also, my suggestion would be to file your taxes as "married, filing seperately." This way only your income is considered for IBR. You may miss out on other tax breaks (no clue - not a tax guy) by doing this but it will qualify you for IBR or PAYE.

It is HARDLY EVER beneficial to file separately if you are married. The amount you owe often goes up significantly. Definitely consult with a tax professional before you select that as a filing option.

allAF

Postby allAF » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:41 am

brando4545 wrote:The SLRP makes yearly payments to your loan, for 3 years. Each year (the date of the payment corresponds to your enlistment date), they will pay 1/3. While your loan is in repayment from the government, federal loans qualify for deferment - meaning you submit something to them in writing requesting a deferment of your payments while the loan is in repayment - they have to grant it, and are required by law to do so.

The SLRP does not make monthly payments, or anything like that. Further, it is on you to coordinate for deferment with your loan company. Also, interest continues to accrue while it is in repayment. You can get the SLRP to cover federal loans (at least you used to be able to), but whether they grant you a deferment is up to them.

To clarify slightly, active duty military members with federal student loans qualify for a deferment based on their active duty military status, regardless of whether they qualify for a SLRP program or whether they have chosen to participate in it.

allAF

Postby allAF » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:45 am

EstebanMFernandez wrote:Hello! Sorry if this has been addressed earlier, but I can't find it on the 190 pages of this thread. I am an incoming law student who will probably be going to a T14 (based on stats). I am pretty set on doing JAG -it's been a dream of mine to do law and serve in the military. Does anyone know what steps I should take to become competitive ? How hard is it to get into the programs necessary for a JAG program out of law school?

I'm not sure how you could miss that information in these 190 pages. The whole thread is dedicated to this discussion. It doesn't matter what school you go to - the same factors will make you stand out regardless of whether the paper sporting your diploma comes from Yale or Ave Maria. I've worked with lawyers from both schools, and I can guarantee that the school you attend is not a predictor of your chances of successfully applying to a JAG program (or your success as a JAG, for that matter). A better indicator to me is your ability to peruse this thread, find the general information related to your question, and then ask more specific questions...

Fed_Atty

Postby Fed_Atty » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:04 am

mylifeis24 wrote:Hello JAGs! I'm highly interested in joining the either the JAG corps of USAF, USN or USA, but have two questions:

1. Going biglaw after JAG is not out of the question, but it is not a very common career path. Most end up going AUSA, DA, or other government type gigs or to smaller firms. Some go to criminal defense firms that mainly concentrate on defending service members (While a military member is entitled to a JAG defense attorney at no cost, some choose to hire civilian counsel as well).

2. The reserves depends on the service. All reservists in the Navy are former active duty. The army does hire reservists without prior active duty experience. Unless you were activated for an extended term, I cannot see trying many cases as a reservist. Reservists in the Navy typically do not handle cases.

maxpayne

Postby maxpayne » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:01 am

allAF wrote:
maxpayne wrote:
ganja wrote:Question for JAGs who have a considerable amount of student loan debt: Is just about every JAG eligible for the ten year loan forgiveness program? I ask because if as a JAG, let's say you usually make between $40k-$50k starting but your wife's job puts your combined income above that and say you dont qualify for IBR because of that, can you still get your outstanding loan balance taken care of after 120 payments or are you only eligible for that program if you display "financial assistance" as defined by the IBR program?

Yes. It is my understanding that you do not have to qualify for IBR to take advantage of the public service loan forgiveness after 10 years. Also, my suggestion would be to file your taxes as "married, filing seperately." This way only your income is considered for IBR. You may miss out on other tax breaks (no clue - not a tax guy) by doing this but it will qualify you for IBR or PAYE.

It is HARDLY EVER beneficial to file separately if you are married. The amount you owe often goes up significantly. Definitely consult with a tax professional before you select that as a filing option.

I agree 100%. Definitely look into it. For me, it works out better at the end of the year.

maxpayne

Postby maxpayne » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:17 am

Just a little FYI - I finally got in touch with JAX.

If the October Board was an applicant's reconsideration from the April Board and that applicant is not selected for the October Board, the applicant's application is automatically reconsidered for the December Board WITHOUT the need to re-interview and submit a new application.

EstebanMFernandez

Postby EstebanMFernandez » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:24 am

allAF wrote:
EstebanMFernandez wrote:Hello! Sorry if this has been addressed earlier, but I can't find it on the 190 pages of this thread. I am an incoming law student who will probably be going to a T14 (based on stats). I am pretty set on doing JAG -it's been a dream of mine to do law and serve in the military. Does anyone know what steps I should take to become competitive ? How hard is it to get into the programs necessary for a JAG program out of law school?

I'm not sure how you could miss that information in these 190 pages. The whole thread is dedicated to this discussion. It doesn't matter what school you go to - the same factors will make you stand out regardless of whether the paper sporting your diploma comes from Yale or Ave Maria. I've worked with lawyers from both schools, and I can guarantee that the school you attend is not a predictor of your chances of successfully applying to a JAG program (or your success as a JAG, for that matter). A better indicator to me is your ability to peruse this thread, find the general information related to your question, and then ask more specific questions...

Thanks for the help I appreciate it!

yurishima

Postby yurishima » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:04 pm

so... no word yet on USAF?

CoolJustice13

Postby CoolJustice13 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:59 pm

maxpayne wrote:Just a little FYI - I finally got in touch with JAX.

If the October Board was an applicant's reconsideration from the April Board and that applicant is not selected for the October Board, the applicant's application is automatically reconsidered for the December Board WITHOUT the need to re-interview and submit a new application.

That's great news!! However, it probably means that notifications will be close to the next board date! I love the military! "Hurry up and wait..."

Esquire

Postby Esquire » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:16 pm

allAF wrote:
brando4545 wrote:The SLRP makes yearly payments to your loan, for 3 years. Each year (the date of the payment corresponds to your enlistment date), they will pay 1/3. While your loan is in repayment from the government, federal loans qualify for deferment - meaning you submit something to them in writing requesting a deferment of your payments while the loan is in repayment - they have to grant it, and are required by law to do so.

To clarify slightly, active duty military members with federal student loans qualify for a deferment based on their active duty military status, regardless of whether they qualify for a SLRP program or whether they have chosen to participate in it.

Not necessarily all active duty military members. "[A] period of active duty military service during a war, military operation, or national emergency" http://studentaid.ed.gov/repay-loans/de ... orbearance

I'd like to think, during the GWOT, any military service is during a war or military operation. I believe not all lenders see the same, however.

emotiondetector

Postby emotiondetector » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:35 pm

I spoke to JAX and they made it sound like there would not be a phone call. Meaning everyone, regardless of the result, will find out through snail mail.

womeninblack

Postby womeninblack » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:48 pm

emotiondetector wrote:I spoke to JAX and they made it sound like there would not be a phone call. Meaning everyone, regardless of the result, will find out through snail mail.

That's because JAX doesn't call those selected. Your interviewing SJA is the person who would call you if selected.

Moves like JAGger

Postby Moves like JAGger » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:04 pm

Hey all. I was shocked and excited to learn today that the Air Force needs me at Ramstein AB, Germany. I did not select any preference for an overseas assignment but I am thrilled at the opportunity. Can anyone talk about what JAG opportunities exist there with regard to the base's mission or perhaps just comment generally? Second hand information is also welcome.

Also, good luck to all of you waiting to hear about Oct board results!

shir9650

Postby shir9650 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:21 pm

Moves like JAGger wrote:Hey all. I was shocked and excited to learn today that the Air Force needs me at Ramstein AB, Germany. I did not select any preference for an overseas assignment but I am thrilled at the opportunity. Can anyone talk about what JAG opportunities exist there with regard to the base's mission or perhaps just comment generally? Second hand information is also welcome.

Also, good luck to all of you waiting to hear about Oct board results!

Awesome, congratulations. Ramstein is my first choice. I've never heard a bad word from JAG's about being stationed in Germany.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:23 pm

I'm dying here waiting for USAF.

yurishima

Postby yurishima » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:34 pm

Moves like JAGger wrote:Hey all. I was shocked and excited to learn today that the Air Force needs me at Ramstein AB, Germany. !

I was under the impression that first the SJA would contact us if accepted, and then later the assignment board would talk with us re location. You heard back regarding both acceptance and assignment on the same day? And it was Germany, without any preference?

..maybe I'm just jealous. Germany, after all.

Return to “Legal Employment”