Military Law Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
ganja

New

Re: Military Law

Post by ganja » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:57 pm

Hello all. So I am now giving some thought to USAF JAG but I may have a potential red flag. Back in high school at the young dumb age of 15, I was caught with the sticky icky on school grounds and was charged with possession of pot under 20 grams (no intent sell). I completed something called a "first offense program" where if you serve a short suspension from school, do some community service work and and attend a class, you are guaranteed to have no crminal record. Now this has been my only run in with the law (though i did have my license suspended for 2 days due to a misunderstanding about a yr ago) and it happened about 10 years ago. When I called the youth court to ask about they said I should have no problem and it shouldn't be seen by anybody. I was already aware of this but is the military security clearance so precise that it can identify it? I wouldn't want to put it on an application if I didn't have to. Should I put it on anyway?

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:18 pm

Personally, I'd put it on.

You don't put it in and they find out, ur boned. You do put it in and can convince them it'll never happen again you can enjoy your career without having to wonder if they'll ever find out.

Honesty in the face of repucussions is courage, which is something they want you to have.

brando4545

New

Post by brando4545 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:52 am

It likely wouldn't come out during the application process but likely would if you got in and apply for a clearance. Every Officer in the military is required to at least have a secret clearance.

MarineLaw

New

Post by MarineLaw » Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:30 am

Very unlikely it will be seen during your clearance process.

That being said, if you don't divulge, and they find out about it, your package is toast.

erik_1717

New

Post by erik_1717 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:04 pm

ganja wrote:Hello all. So I am now giving some thought to USAF JAG but I may have a potential red flag. Back in high school at the young dumb age of 15, I was caught with the sticky icky on school grounds and was charged with possession of pot under 20 grams (no intent sell). I completed something called a "first offense program" where if you serve a short suspension from school, do some community service work and and attend a class, you are guaranteed to have no crminal record. Now this has been my only run in with the law (though i did have my license suspended for 2 days due to a misunderstanding about a yr ago) and it happened about 10 years ago. When I called the youth court to ask about they said I should have no problem and it shouldn't be seen by anybody. I was already aware of this but is the military security clearance so precise that it can identify it? I wouldn't want to put it on an application if I didn't have to. Should I put it on anyway?
As others have said, it is unlikely they will find out. You should still disclose though as it is never good to be dishonest. I'm curious. Your name is ganja and you say that all of this happened back in high school? Some applications (the Navy and Marines that I know of) will ask you about recreational drug use in your life. I have also applied to the Army and have not yet been questioned, but it may come up later. I don't know if the AF asks about recreational drug use, but you should expect to be questioned about rec. drug use, not just if you've been charged before.

I'm not one to judge but I am trying to help you out here. Your name on here implies to me that drugs are still a part of your life. Whether they are or not, it implies the message nonetheless. Doing something careless like this makes me question how serious you are about this process. You say you are beginning to think about it so I don't want to criticize you this early in the process (or at all). Rather, I just know what it takes not only to apply but to get accepted into one of these programs. So basically what I'm saying to you is that if you decide to pursue and apply, I suggest you take it very seriously and think more carefully about all decisions you make.

Plenty of people are accepted in JAG roles with disclosed prior drug use (I was). The key word in that sentence however, is prior.

I really hope I didn't offend but I think its important to realize the image you represent as an officer in the military. If you are serious about it, you should be trying to emulate that image even before you are accepted. Best of luck to you if you apply.

And best of luck to me as I just submitted my Army AD App. earlier this week!! HAHA

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:33 pm

USAF and USCG also asked. I cannot imagine the army wouldn't. They're all going to ask.

Be honest.

Patrick Bateman

Silver

Post by Patrick Bateman » Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:53 pm

erik_1717 wrote:
Your name is ganja and you say that all of this happened back in high school?

Your name on here implies to me that drugs are still a part of your life. Whether they are or not, it implies the message nonetheless. Doing something careless like this makes me question how serious you are about this process.
This.

ganja

New

Post by ganja » Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:44 am

Patrick Bateman wrote:
erik_1717 wrote:
Your name is ganja and you say that all of this happened back in high school?

Your name on here implies to me that drugs are still a part of your life. Whether they are or not, it implies the message nonetheless. Doing something careless like this makes me question how serious you are about this process.
This.
Again, I'm in the process of gathering information to see if it's something I'd want to do. No, drugs are not part of my life today but I am a big fan of the movie "cheech and chong" so that's where the name comes from. I see Captain Bateman is a big fan of "American Psycho" does this imply that he looks favorably on killing women after sex? Probably not but it's not something I judge him for.

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:59 am

Don't get defensive. Learn from this. Also, your bad comparison is bad.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ganja

New

Post by ganja » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:44 am

spleenworship wrote:Don't get defensive. Learn from this. Also, your bad comparison is bad.
Oh no I wasn't trying to get defensive. Sorry if I worded it that way. But I do appreciate all the help on this thread. Thanks everyone!

Moves like JAGger

New

Post by Moves like JAGger » Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:24 pm

Just updated my pref sheet and notified JAX of my successful bar result. Thank you to those in this thread who compiled lists of the most active bases for military justice. That was a huge help in re-evaluating my selections. Does anyone know how long JAX takes to return with an assignment?

boarder78

New

Post by boarder78 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:35 am

Are we waiting until late December/early January again for our Army results?

Patrick Bateman

Silver

Post by Patrick Bateman » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:29 am

Moves like JAGger wrote:Just updated my pref sheet and notified JAX of my successful bar result. Thank you to those in this thread who compiled lists of the most active bases for military justice. That was a huge help in re-evaluating my selections. Does anyone know how long JAX takes to return with an assignment?
I had it within a week. YMMV, though, as this was fiveyears ago (holy crap does time fly...)

Let us know what options you get from JAX.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

maxpayne

Bronze

Post by maxpayne » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:33 am

boarder78 wrote:Are we waiting until late December/early January again for our Army results?
If last year is any indication, I think so.

But, the AF Dap results for October are still pending even though previous years have suggested they would already be out. So, there is a possibility that the Army Fall Board results could be delayed as well but that's all speculation.

CoolJustice13

New

Post by CoolJustice13 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:57 am

I'm getting excited people!!! :mrgreen:

maxpayne

Bronze

Post by maxpayne » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:08 am

CoolJustice13 wrote:I'm getting excited people!!! :mrgreen:
True. I just want to know either way so I know how to proceed within the next 10 days for the December Board.

Ranger85

New

Post by Ranger85 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:31 am

boarder78 wrote:Are we waiting until late December/early January again for our Army results?
Last year when I got accepted to the internship it was between Christmas and new years my FSO called me to tell me. So I think that time frame is correct if you get accepted then maybe JAN/FEB you'll get a rejection letter if your not accepted.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

emotiondetector

New

Post by emotiondetector » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:54 pm

I am waiting on Air Force October results. I know that we are supposed to hear by November 15, but do we know anymore than that? I doubt everyone will hear exactly on the 15.

Anyways, I'll be on here with y'all. Good luck everyone!

ganja

New

Post by ganja » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:00 pm

Question for JAGs who have a considerable amount of student loan debt: Is just about every JAG eligible for the ten year loan forgiveness program? I ask because if as a JAG, let's say you usually make between $40k-$50k starting but your wife's job puts your combined income above that and say you dont qualify for IBR because of that, can you still get your outstanding loan balance taken care of after 120 payments or are you only eligible for that program if you display "financial assistance" as defined by the IBR program?

maxpayne

Bronze

Post by maxpayne » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:09 pm

ganja wrote:Question for JAGs who have a considerable amount of student loan debt: Is just about every JAG eligible for the ten year loan forgiveness program? I ask because if as a JAG, let's say you usually make between $40k-$50k starting but your wife's job puts your combined income above that and say you dont qualify for IBR because of that, can you still get your outstanding loan balance taken care of after 120 payments or are you only eligible for that program if you display "financial assistance" as defined by the IBR program?
Yes. It is my understanding that you do not have to qualify for IBR to take advantage of the public service loan forgiveness after 10 years. Also, my suggestion would be to file your taxes as "married, filing seperately." This way only your income is considered for IBR. You may miss out on other tax breaks (no clue - not a tax guy) by doing this but it will qualify you for IBR or PAYE.

maxpayne

Bronze

Post by maxpayne » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:10 pm

emotiondetector wrote:I am waiting on Air Force October results. I know that we are supposed to hear by November 15, but do we know anymore than that? I doubt everyone will hear exactly on the 15.

No one knows. Everyone is just waiting - but we do know that it will be sometime is November. :)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

womeninblack

New

Post by womeninblack » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:58 pm

maxpayne wrote:
emotiondetector wrote:I am waiting on Air Force October results. I know that we are supposed to hear by November 15, but do we know anymore than that? I doubt everyone will hear exactly on the 15.

No one knows. Everyone is just waiting - but we do know that it will be sometime is November. :)
The Capt said that EVERYONE would notified by Nov. 15, which makes me think that the list will be out sometime this week, and those selected will be notified by phone when the list comes out. It seems like mailed letters usually take a week for people to receive. Those not selected will probably receive a letter in the mail sometime next week before the 15th.

That's just my thought though, could be (and probably am) wrong.

New

Post by 31415926 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:12 pm

Does anyone have any news on when the Navy results will be out?

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:23 pm

31415926 wrote:Does anyone have any news on when the Navy results will be out?
No. But ten weeks from the deadline is like December 13th. So I'm guessing January. :lol:

boarder78

New

Post by boarder78 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:40 pm

Ranger85 wrote:
Last year when I got accepted to the internship it was between Christmas and new years my FSO called me to tell me. So I think that time frame is correct if you get accepted then maybe JAN/FEB you'll get a rejection letter if your not accepted.
Thanks! My FSO calls either way (good/bad news) so here's to hoping it's good news this year!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”