Military Law

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
shir9650

Re: Military Law

Postby shir9650 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:28 pm

Air Force select here. I am looking to adjust my assignment preference sheet, can anyone offer advice on quality first assignment bases with substantial MJ opportunities? I am open to any location, just hoping to get good trial experience and eventually become an ADC. Thank you in advance.

Young Marino

Postby Young Marino » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:28 pm

spleenworship wrote:
maxpayne wrote:Completed my Army FSO interview yesterday down at Fort Hood in Texas and now trying to round my letters of recommendation. Hope to submit everyting next week. Then it's time to sit and wait.

Currently still waiting on AF Oct DAP results to be released as well.

I'm guessing two weeks for those AF results. Fingers crossed here.

Good luck guys. I'll pray for ya

maxpayne

Postby maxpayne » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:01 pm

shir9650 wrote:Air Force select here. I am looking to adjust my assignment preference sheet, can anyone offer advice on quality first assignment bases with substantial MJ opportunities? I am open to any location, just hoping to get good trial experience and eventually become an ADC. Thank you in advance.

No clue here. But...... (here comes nosy "want to be in your shoes" questions)

Which board were you selected for AF JAG? When do you start? Mind sharing any other details?

CoolJustice13

Postby CoolJustice13 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:56 am

shir9650 wrote:Air Force select here. I am looking to adjust my assignment preference sheet, can anyone offer advice on quality first assignment bases with substantial MJ opportunities? I am open to any location, just hoping to get good trial experience and eventually become an ADC. Thank you in advance.

Hello, here's a link to the Air Force Docket. Maybe this could help you with your choices.

http://www.afjag.af.mil/docket/index.asp

Patrick Bateman

Postby Patrick Bateman » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:19 am

I'm 95% certain I have posted on this topic somewhere. Might be worth trying to find it.

You will want bases with active operational missions - active flight lines or missiles. These bases will fall under Air Combat Command, Air Mobility Command, AF Global Strike Command, and AF Special Operations Command. A quick bit of Wiki or other research will let you learn about what each base does and what MAJCOM they fall under.

You will want to avoid AF Material Command (procurement, R&D, acquisitions missions). AF Training & Education command can be a mixed bag - bases like Lackland, Keesler, & Sheppard with primarily an enlisted training mission are usually busy but officer training locations are usually slow (Maxwell). That's no swipe at the enlisted corps - just my experience; most folks getting into the knuckle headed trouble that make up most of our Special Courts-Martial are in that E-1 to E-4 range.

If I had to pick some usually strong justice bases (and not bothering to research it against the current MJ stats), in no particular order:
Ramstein AB, Germany
Lackland AFB, TX
Nellis AFB, NV
Travis AFB, CA
Osan AB, ROK (Korea is usually not an option for a first assignment)
Kadena AB, Japan
Yokota AB, Japan
Keesler AFB, MS
Charleston AFB, SC
Hurlburt Field, FL
Randolph AFB, TX

MJ always seems to run in feast or famine cycles. You will go months without a court and then somehow have six courts being tried in four weeks. I just finished with a court at Osan AB - they have been absolutely slammed this year where as last year, they only had something like five courts. I recall a recent email that stated Malmstrom AFB, MT was leading the AF in courts lately.

bouakedojo

Postby bouakedojo » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:10 am

I actually have the stats for CM activity for the first half of 2012 and here are the top 10:

1) Lackland
2) Ramstein
3) Nellis
4) Davis-Monthan
5) Eglin
6) Dyess
7) Malmstrom
8) Keesler
9) Hickam
10) Hurlburt

Patrick Bateman wrote: You will want bases with active operational missions - active flight lines or missiles. These bases will fall under Air Combat Command, Air Mobility Command, AF Global Strike Command, and AF Special Operations Command.

I would also emphasize again what Patrick Bateman said here. This is the same advice I received from an ADC when I asked him about choosing bases with a lot of MJ work.

andythefir

Postby andythefir » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:29 am

Were you picked up by the October 13 board?

Patrick Bateman

Postby Patrick Bateman » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:32 am

bouakedojo wrote:I actually have the stats for CM activity for the first half of 2012 and here are the top 10:

1) Lackland
2) Ramstein
3) Nellis
4) Davis-Monthan
5) Eglin
6) Dyess
7) Malmstrom
8) Keesler
9) Hickam
10) Hurlburt

Patrick Bateman wrote: You will want bases with active operational missions - active flight lines or missiles. These bases will fall under Air Combat Command, Air Mobility Command, AF Global Strike Command, and AF Special Operations Command.

I would also emphasize again what Patrick Bateman said here. This is the same advice I received from an ADC when I asked him about choosing bases with a lot of MJ work.

Thanks for getting this together. I'm an idiot for forgetting D-M. I'm surprised at Dyess and Eglin.

shir9650

Postby shir9650 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:57 am

Patrick Bateman wrote:

I'm 95% certain I have posted on this topic somewhere. Might be worth trying to find it.

Thank you for the detailed information. I'll look back through the thread again to see if I can locate a previous post on the topic.

bouakedojo wrote:I actually have the stats for CM activity for the first half of 2012 and here are the top 10:

1) Lackland
2) Ramstein
3) Nellis
4) Davis-Monthan
5) Eglin
6) Dyess
7) Malmstrom
8) Keesler
9) Hickam
10) Hurlburt

Awesome, thank you for the info.

andythefir wrote:
Were you picked up by the October 13 board?

I was picked up off the April board, but am currently doing a clerkship so I won't go to COT for a bit.

CoolJustice13

Postby CoolJustice13 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:16 pm

Did you have to get medically cleared right after getting selected or did you have to wait until you passed the bar?

womeninblack

Postby womeninblack » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:18 pm

CoolJustice13 wrote:Did you have to get medically cleared right after getting selected or did you have to wait until you passed the bar?

I'm pretty sure you go through the MEPS process soon after getting selected even if you are still in school and haven't passed the bar yet.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:11 pm

womeninblack wrote:
CoolJustice13 wrote:Did you have to get medically cleared right after getting selected or did you have to wait until you passed the bar?

I'm pretty sure you go through the MEPS process soon after getting selected even if you are still in school and haven't passed the bar yet.

This is basically my understanding as well.

howell

Postby howell » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:44 pm

Yes, with the Air Force, after getting your acceptance call, you get a package in the mail about a week later explaining the MEPS process and that you have 30 days to get medically cleared. The odds of you actually going to MEPS within 30 days are pretty low, so don't stress out about that part - just make sure you get the process started ASAP. If you have not passed the bar yet, they'll wait on that after you're done with MEPS.

maxpayne

Postby maxpayne » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:01 am

spleenworship wrote:
maxpayne wrote:Completed my Army FSO interview yesterday down at Fort Hood in Texas and now trying to round my letters of recommendation. Hope to submit everyting next week. Then it's time to sit and wait.

Maybe this time next week, someone on here will be getting a call from their SJA. Countdown continues....

Just to get a tally, how many people on here are waiting to hear from the AF Oct. DAP Board?

CoolJustice13

Postby CoolJustice13 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:32 am

maxpayne wrote:
spleenworship wrote:

Maybe this time next week, someone on here will be getting a call from their SJA. Countdown continues....

Just to get a tally, how many people on here are waiting to hear from the AF Oct. DAP Board?

I am "patiently" waiting to hear something from the AF Oct. DAP Board. :D

maxpayne

Postby maxpayne » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:43 am

CoolJustice13 wrote:
maxpayne wrote:
spleenworship wrote:

I am "patiently" waiting to hear something from the AF Oct. DAP Board. :D

You mentioned earlier that you served for 8 years in the AF. Did you stop your service to complete law school?

CoolJustice13

Postby CoolJustice13 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:50 am

I am "patiently" waiting to hear something from the AF Oct. DAP Board. :D[/quote]

You mentioned earlier that you served for 8 years in the AF. Did you stop your service to complete law school?[/quote]

Yes Sir, I separated right before getting accepted into law school.

maxpayne

Postby maxpayne » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:53 am

CoolJustice13 wrote:I am "patiently" waiting to hear something from the AF Oct. DAP Board. :D

You mentioned earlier that you served for 8 years in the AF. Did you stop your service to complete law school?[/quote]

Yes Sir, I separated right before getting accepted into law school.[/quote]

Sweet. Did you consider the FLEP program?

CoolJustice13

Postby CoolJustice13 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:00 pm

Yes, I interviewed with the ROTC Commander but the ROTC courses conflicted with my 2L schedule and the ROTC detachment was at another University so I decided not to apply and chance it with DAP.

maxpayne

Postby maxpayne » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:11 pm

Well, you have as good or way better chance as anyone on this board with your past military experience. Good luck! And, post ASAP if you hear anything from your SJA.

womeninblack

Postby womeninblack » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:21 pm

[quote="maxpayne

Just to get a tally, how many people on here are waiting to hear from the AF Oct. DAP Board?[/quote]

I am also waiting for the results from the Oct. board to roll in. I'm a first-time applicant so not super high expectations of getting selected this time around, but still crossing my fingers!

Another

Postby Another » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:22 pm

Last edited by Another on Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bouakedojo

Postby bouakedojo » Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:44 pm

hopkins23 wrote:If I worked a few years first, and then joined JAG, would I get paid more than a 3L who went straight to JAG from law school? I'm thinking of doing private practice a few years first before doing JAG.

No, there'd be no bump in pay. You'd still start out at whatever the service pays.

However, a lot of people overlook both the allowances and the tax advantage of serving in the military. Keep that in mind when you do your calculations.

CoolJustice13

Postby CoolJustice13 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:46 pm

hopkins23 wrote:If I worked a few years first, and then joined JAG, would I get paid more than a 3L who went straight to JAG from law school? I'm thinking of doing private practice a few years first before doing JAG.

No, you would still get paid as an O-2 with less than 2 years of service. They would only pay you according to your military time.
http://www.airforce.com/jag/benefits/em ... t_benefits

maxpayne

Postby maxpayne » Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:07 pm

AFJAG2014 wrote:
spleenworship wrote:Update: USCG called back... And the Chief who told me MEPS after board was wrong. It is the way it was described to us before - MEPS first, interview and board afterwards.

I have applications out to three other services. I'm halfway tempted, since I know I need a waiver, to ask the CG to defer my application for the January board so as to give the other services a chance to finish first. But even that doesn't seem like it would be enough time, and a possible DQ- waiver not recommended would greet any service that accepted me even then. I have heard again and again that waivers are more likely for candidates they really want, and the USCG wouldn't have gotten to know me at all when I'd be asking for one. Anybody got any advice on this? Should I defer my app to the USCG? Drop it entirely? Go now and hope for the best? Am I misinformed on the waiver process or missing any vital facts?

Long-time poster. I have created this username with permission for the purpose of anonymity. I will post my experience soon of getting selected for the AF JAG program.

As far as waiting for MEPS results, military medical decisions are a black box. I have two conditions that require a waiver. I went to get my DODMERB physical and disclosed my conditions, my surgery, and the over-the-counter medicine I take daily. To my surprise, they didn't even make me get one waiver. I passed with no problems. I know others who have had minor conditions that have gotten the run-around, though. So I wouldn't base any decisions on a medical condition, if I were you, spleenworship. Just my two cents.

Any chance you are going to post your experience of getting selected by the AF JAG?

Return to “Legal Employment”