Military Law

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
madspcdisease

Re: Military Law

Postby madspcdisease » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:10 pm

LazinessPerSe wrote:
madspcdisease wrote:Some of the entitlement and naivety on this board is pretty amazing.

If many of you guys like the military so much, why don't you enlist and actually contribute something, as opposed to talking about how you can beef up your application by joining intramural sports teams or talking about how mommy and daddy served in the AF.

Why on earth would anyone interested in JAG ever enlist? Becoming an officer is not a guarantee, let alone a JAG. Furthermore, why on earth would anyone with a college degree ever enlist? It's better to go officer in another community than to go from College/Law degree to E1.

Why would you enlist? Maybe because America has been at war for over a decade and most of the NCOs you will serve with have already been deployed multiple times. Unless you are a natural leader and prove to be a squared away lieutenant, it is very difficult (armed with just a college degree) to lead a combat platoon without deployment experience. The first thing you learn when joining the Army is that your college degree is worthless. Nobody gives a crap. What I see on this board is a lot of people, with zero military experience, acting like they're entitled to be in JAG or be an officer when they have no proven experience or commitment to the Army. I enlisted because I wanted to learn the ropes, serve my country, and get money for school. If your motives are crappy, they will be flushed out once you join.

Patrick Bateman

Postby Patrick Bateman » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:25 pm

madspcdisease wrote:
LazinessPerSe wrote:
madspcdisease wrote:Some of the entitlement and naivety on this board is pretty amazing.

If many of you guys like the military so much, why don't you enlist and actually contribute something, as opposed to talking about how you can beef up your application by joining intramural sports teams or talking about how mommy and daddy served in the AF.

Why on earth would anyone interested in JAG ever enlist? Becoming an officer is not a guarantee, let alone a JAG. Furthermore, why on earth would anyone with a college degree ever enlist? It's better to go officer in another community than to go from College/Law degree to E1.

Why would you enlist? Maybe because America has been at war for over a decade and most of the NCOs you will serve with have already been deployed multiple times. Unless you are a natural leader and prove to be a squared away lieutenant, it is very difficult (armed with just a college degree) to lead a combat platoon without deployment experience. The first thing you learn when joining the Army is that your college degree is worthless. Nobody gives a crap. What I see on this board is a lot of people, with zero military experience, acting like they're entitled to be in JAG or be an officer when they have no proven experience or commitment to the Army. I enlisted because I wanted to learn the ropes, serve my country, and get money for school. If your motives are crappy, they will be flushed out once you join.

The JAGs on this board all walked away from a far easier life with a better paycheck following law school in order to serve. The applicants you seem keen on bashing are idealists and patriots that are seeking to do the same. No one here is flexing nuts as through they are walking around with a Ranger Tab or CIB. They are just looking for help so they too can serve in the MOS/AFSC that they feel best suited for.

Not sure why you feel the need to troll this thread. If you don't like officers or folks outside of combat arms, no one gives a shit. No one here is talking about anything to do with combat leadership, life in the infantry, or anything else. Thanks for your service but take your bitter vitriol somewhere else.

Pdk7

Postby Pdk7 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:44 pm

LazinessPerSe wrote:

First of all, many people (myself included) with college degrees chose to enlist for several reasons. I was actually in AIT with a guy who had a law degree and had zero interest in being an officer. When I was doing my JAG internship I met more than one JAG officer who had previously been an enlisted member with a law degree. And they were happy there. There are a lot of opportunities for valuable hands-on experience available for enlisted personnel that many officers will never get. Second, nobody with a Bachelors degree, or even an Associates degree starts off as an E-1. I'm not defending this poster by any means, because I think that was an extremely rude comment, but I do think that you should understand that not everybody who chooses to enlist does so because they have no other choice, and not everybody who is qualified to be an officer wants or chooses to be one.

LazinessPerSe

Postby LazinessPerSe » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:56 pm

Pdk7 wrote:
LazinessPerSe wrote:

First of all, many people (myself included) with college degrees chose to enlist for several reasons. I was actually in AIT with a guy who had a law degree and had zero interest in being an officer. When I was doing my JAG internship I met more than one JAG officer who had previously been an enlisted member with a law degree. And they were happy there. There are a lot of opportunities for valuable hands-on experience available for enlisted personnel that many officers will never get. Second, nobody with a Bachelors degree, or even an Associates degree starts off as an E-1. I'm not defending this poster by any means, because I think that was an extremely rude comment, but I do think that you should understand that not everybody who chooses to enlist does so because they have no other choice, and not everybody who is qualified to be an officer wants or chooses to be one.

Oh, good point. I never thought of that.

Esquire

Postby Esquire » Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:27 pm

There's that word again.

thelawdoctor

Postby thelawdoctor » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:20 pm

Esquire wrote:

There's that word again.

point?

StevenJ11

Postby StevenJ11 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:15 am

thelawdoctor wrote:
StevenJ11 wrote:I'm considering the army reserves too. What's the ballpark acceptance rate for the army reserve?

?????

There are a lot of variables to consider.

Do you only want to go JAG for starters? What age? What height/weight? etc,etc,

My goal is to go Army JAG (reserves). I meet height/weight regs and I'm 26. I know the Active Duty is competitive as all get out, but what about the reserve side?

Esquire

Postby Esquire » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:59 am

StevenJ11 wrote:My goal is to go Army JAG (reserves). I meet height/weight regs and I'm 26. I know the Active Duty is competitive as all get out, but what about the reserve side?

From my understanding, and this understanding is based on information two years old, it's pretty easy.

StevenJ11

Postby StevenJ11 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:46 pm

Esquire - Thanks for the quick reply, it is much appreciated.

VetLaw14

Postby VetLaw14 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:50 am

StevenJ11 (or anyone else) - I was just wondering if you had any other information regarding the Army Reserve board. To be frank, I was wondering if you had heard what the acceptance rate was for the last board.

Another

Postby Another » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:43 pm

Last edited by Another on Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Serpico

Re: Military Law-Navy

Postby Serpico » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:44 pm

Unusal (and unexpected situation. My son arrived back in the U.S. after being out of the country for ten days and the next morning (yesterday) checked his phone messages. A Navy recruiter (his previous one has been transferred) left a message that he had been chosen for a direct appointment as a Navy Jag and to plan to report to Newport in August. He had been an alternate and had not heard anything from the Navy since his original recruiter told him "Everybody is on hold" in December. To say he was shocked and humbled would be an understatement.This is his dilemna howver. Presently he is working in a situation where he stands to make quite a bit of money over the next 12-15 months, enough to pay off his law school loans and set him up quite well. The Navy Jag offer came somewhat out of the blue given the long odds and the lack of communication. Again though, it is such an honor that walking away is pretty difficult (process began in October 2011). Is there such a thing as accepting a commisiion and deferring for a year? Had he been accepted and reported in October 2012 (the original timeframe), i guess he'd be in Jacksonville or San Diego by now but things happen for a reason. Thanks.

ScottRiqui

Re: Military Law-Navy

Postby ScottRiqui » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:49 pm

Serpico wrote:Unusal (and unexpected situation. My son arrived back in the U.S. after being out of the country for ten days and the next morning (yesterday) checked his phone messages. A Navy recruiter (his previous one has been transferred) left a message that he had been chosen for a direct appointment as a Navy Jag and to plan to report to Newport in August. He had been an alternate and had not heard anything from the Navy since his original recruiter told him "Everybody is on hold" in December. To say he was shocked and humbled would be an understatement.This is his dilemna howver. Presently he is working in a situation where he stands to make quite a bit of money over the next 12-15 months, enough to pay off his law school loans and set him up quite well. The Navy Jag offer came somewhat out of the blue given the long odds and the lack of communication. Again though, it is such an honor that walking away is pretty difficult (process began in October 2011). Is there such a thing as accepting a commisiion and deferring for a year? Had he been accepted and reported in October 2012 (the original timeframe), i guess he'd be in Jacksonville or San Diego by now but things happen for a reason. Thanks.

As we like to say in the Navy - "Everything's waiverable". That's not to say that they'll necessarily let him defer, but it's always worth at least asking.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:33 pm

Hey all, I got permission from my wife to apply for active duty! YAY! So now I'm going to be applying for Army, Navy, and CG (I'm too old for USMC and AF).

I went to the websites and Navy hasn't updated (so I'll check back in July), I started the application with the USCG, and I went into JARO for the Army (I'll call career services to set up the interview in a few days after they are done dealing with clerkship craziness). Only problem might be that JARO only lists "Reserve" as available to apply for. They have the 2013 instructions for Active up, though. Does everyone apply through "Reserve" or am I just a little early and should wait a bit to apply for Active?

Pdk7

Postby Pdk7 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:05 am

spleenworship wrote:Hey all, I got permission from my wife to apply for active duty! YAY! So now I'm going to be applying for Army, Navy, and CG (I'm too old for USMC and AF).

I went to the websites and Navy hasn't updated (so I'll check back in July), I started the application with the USCG, and I went into JARO for the Army (I'll call career services to set up the interview in a few days after they are done dealing with clerkship craziness). Only problem might be that JARO only lists "Reserve" as available to apply for. They have the 2013 instructions for Active up, though. Does everyone apply through "Reserve" or am I just a little early and should wait a bit to apply for Active?

You just have to wait. last year they didn't open the portal until August. But I think you can still access the instructions from last year's application. You can use those to start putting your application together.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:28 pm

Pdk7 wrote:
spleenworship wrote:Hey all, I got permission from my wife to apply for active duty! YAY! So now I'm going to be applying for Army, Navy, and CG (I'm too old for USMC and AF).

You just have to wait. last year they didn't open the portal until August. But I think you can still access the instructions from last year's application. You can use those to start putting your application together.

Thanks!

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:32 pm

Another quick question, and I'm sorry if it's already been answered: I know that you can get a deferral if you get a 1 year clerkship. What about a two year clerkship deferral?

Ness Lee

Postby Ness Lee » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:11 pm

spleenworship wrote:Another quick question, and I'm sorry if it's already been answered: I know that you can get a deferral if you get a 1 year clerkship. What about a two year clerkship deferral?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they only allow one year deferrals.

Might want to make sure you won't lose your spot potentially if you defer for a year, either.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:53 pm

Ness Lee wrote:
spleenworship wrote:Another quick question, and I'm sorry if it's already been answered: I know that you can get a deferral if you get a 1 year clerkship. What about a two year clerkship deferral?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they only allow one year deferrals.

Might want to make sure you won't lose your spot potentially if you defer for a year, either.

Well, this is all pretty hypothetical anyway - I have like a 4% chance of getting selected for JAG and maybe a 15% chance of getting selected for one of the two year clerkships. So it's probably moot anyways. Just curious if I need to defer my military apps or not if I do get a 2 year clerkship.

Myself

Postby Myself » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:27 pm

Last edited by Myself on Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

flashforward2

Postby flashforward2 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:12 am

Is there anyone who is a current AF JAG or who is going through the process now?

Moves like JAGger

Postby Moves like JAGger » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:50 am

Flash -- April DAP selectee here. Happy to answer questions.

Anybody comment on whether you hear from JAX after the surgeon general approves medical package? My physical went to JAX "medically qualified" about 1 month ago.. Very fortunate -- no waivers needed/sought Assuming no news is good news?

Thanks,

howell

Postby howell » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:45 pm

flash - Current AF JAG here.

Moves - I went to MEPS at the end of June, and I got word from JAX that everything was good medically at the end of July. After that, it was mostly about waiting to take and pass the bar. Are you taking the bar this summer, or have you been out of school for awhile?

Moves like JAGger

Postby Moves like JAGger » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:29 pm

Thanks Howell -- I'm taking the bar at the end of July. Think I'll give it another few weeks before I check in with JAX. If one receives a "medically qualified" on his physical, and assuming no hang-up w/ blood or urine, there's no reason to worry there'd be a subsequent problem with approval from Washington?

Where are you stationed? Enjoy it? The other "fun" part about waiting is not knowing where I'll be living my next two years. Did you get one of your preferences?

Thanks,

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:36 pm

Hey all. So I know that the JAG selection rate hovers around 8% or so. Is there a consensus on what the selection rate is for people with prior service, assuming they had a good record of service?

I assume that a fair amount of applicants without any military experience get knocked off right in the beginning because they're medically unqualified, don't look like they can pass a PT test, can't get a security clearance, or just don't seem like they'll adjust well to the military.

I'm an Army Reserve (but with several years of active duty time)) captain with a deployment to Iraq under my belt, and while I'm not doing any ironmans, I can comfortably pass a PT test and have a TS//SCI clearance. I assume this would give me something of an inside track for JAG, but does anyone have any idea how much of a boost this is? Is it still an ultra long shot?

Return to “Legal Employment”