Military Law

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Patient

Re: Military Law

Postby Patient » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:31 pm

Any word on when the Coast Guard will be releasing results from the February app deadline?

I'm hearing late May for the March Air Force app deadline. Any word?

maxpayne

Postby maxpayne » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:33 pm

Patient wrote:Any word on when the Coast Guard will be releasing results from the February app deadline?

Source for AF JAG April Board being released in late May?

The SJA I interviewed with said late April.

votewarrior

Postby votewarrior » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:55 pm

In some good news, Army AD selects heard today that JARO was able to put together some work arounds and increase some of the class sizes so no one will have to report to OBC in 2015 like we previously feared. I am very happy to have my report date bumped up 6 months.

Another

Postby Another » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:20 pm

Last edited by Another on Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jagapplicant2012

Postby jagapplicant2012 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:18 am

Last edited by jagapplicant2012 on Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Another

Postby Another » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:22 am

Last edited by Another on Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jagapplicant2012

Postby jagapplicant2012 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:24 am

Last edited by jagapplicant2012 on Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

votewarrior

Postby votewarrior » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:29 am

jagapplicant2012 wrote:I can't say I am thrilled to be in the exact same [late] class I was originally assigned. Hopefully the reshuffling was at least based on the merit list [which sounds unlikely since votewarrior moved up six months?], not just squeaky wheel gets oil style. Should I be entreating JARO to get in an earlier class?

I didn't do any kind of lobbying to get moved. And I moved up 6 months by getting bumped up one class, from June 14 to Jan 14. But I honestly have no idea what the criteria used were.

BetterCallSaul!

Postby BetterCallSaul! » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:25 pm

Am I witnessing complaining because some fortunate Judge Advocate applicants have to wait for a class to open up?

For those of us still waiting, such behavior looks...unbecoming...to put it diplomatically. Please be aware that you are very fortunate for being picked up and, like most things in the military (and life in general), patience is a virtue. You're not endearing yourself to those of us who think it an honor and privilege to serve as a Judge Advocate and are patiently awaiting our good news. Further, the in-fighting is very childish. This forum is mainly informative and supportive. Act accordingly.

Jag1234

Postby Jag1234 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:29 pm

BetterCallSaul! wrote:Am I witnessing complaining because some fortunate Judge Advocate applicants have to wait for a class to open up?

For those of us still waiting, such behavior looks...unbecoming...to put it diplomatically. Please be aware that you are very fortunate for being picked up and, like most things in the military (and life in general), patience is a virtue. You're not endearing yourself to those of us who think it an honor and privilege to serve as a Judge Advocate and are patiently awaiting our good news. Further, the in-fighting is very childish. This forum is mainly informative and supportive. Act accordingly.

I second this. Not a great attitude for a selectee to have. Will not get you very far in your career.

Wolverhoo

Postby Wolverhoo » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:08 am

Anybody willing to guess whether we will hear from AF or Navy this week? I am sitting on a firm job offer that expires next week, so I have a real interest in hearing sooner rather than later...

Moves like JAGger

Postby Moves like JAGger » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:19 am

received DAP acceptance for AF JAG via telephone call this morning at 10AM.

maxpayne

Postby maxpayne » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:38 am

Moves like JAGger wrote:received DAP acceptance for AF JAG via telephone call this morning at 10AM.

Congrats!!! That's awesome!!

Well, I guess that means those of us that haven't received anything should be on the lookout for a letter in the mail.

If you don't mind me asking, would you share some of your info? Like number of times applying, school range, class rank, prior experience, etc? If not, no biggie.

Patient

Postby Patient » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:10 am

maxpayne wrote:
Patient wrote:Any word on when the Coast Guard will be releasing results from the February app deadline?

Source for AF JAG April Board being released in late May?

The SJA I interviewed with said late April.

I apparently received some misinformation. Got the good news this morning! Still waiting on CG and Navy.

Myself

Postby Myself » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:15 am

Last edited by Myself on Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

maxpayne

Postby maxpayne » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:16 am

Anyone selected for AF JAG mind sharing stats?

Moves like JAGger

Postby Moves like JAGger » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:27 pm

maxpayne wrote:
Moves like JAGger wrote:received DAP acceptance for AF JAG via telephone call this morning at 10AM.

Congrats!!! That's awesome!!

Well, I guess that means those of us that haven't received anything should be on the lookout for a letter in the mail.

If you don't mind me asking, would you share some of your info? Like number of times applying, school range, class rank, prior experience, etc? If not, no biggie.

Sure man! And thank you. It's very humbling. Good luck, I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that everybody from this thread who applied hears good news today.

I'm borrowing the personal stats template from airforceots.com:

Graduate GPA: 3.43 / top 28% / Lower T2

Letters of Recommendation: 5- Army Colonel from the military boarding school I attended (grades 8-12); supervising attorney; 2 professors; a fellow board member of a scholarship foundation that we founded/administer together.

Accomplishments/Honors: EIC of large secondary journal; Dean's List; 2 CALIs (Property / Interviewing & Counseling); published in two journals (case comment and a case brief).

Certifications/Licenses: NY/NJ (anticipated)

Obstacles Overcome in Selection: Selected on first board despite having no trial or mock trial experience. I did have lots of litigation experience from working at a firm for 1.5 years in various capacities, but SJA made it seem like AF really wants people who've done mock trial or at least moot court. I also didn't have any government or public service experience. All of my legal experience has been in the private sector. The SJA recommended that I use an extended length resume (I used a one page resume originally). So I used the opportunity to list every bit of volunteering/service work that I could remember since HS to make sure there were no gaps in the "whole person" concept.

Helpful Advice: Definitely don't limit yourself to a one page resume. I also think I looked the part w/ short hair cut, tall, conservative shirt/tie, polished shoes, clean shaven, etc. Undertook great lengths to make my photo reflect as much. I also attended military boarding school in high school and graduated as the valedictorian with significant leadership responsibilities. I basically made leadership the theme of my application packet, and talked about leadership experience/service/advocacy heavily in my personal statement. Made sure to tie leadership in with my desire to serve and my general fascination with the AF and its awesome technological and human capabilities.

Oh and FWIW I'm 27 white male.
Last edited by Moves like JAGger on Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

maxpayne

Postby maxpayne » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:56 pm

Thanks for the reply, and I will definitely take your suggestions. I think only having one letter of recommendation was one of my biggest downfall, among others. Well, there is always next Board!

maxpayne

Postby maxpayne » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:59 pm

Also, I am assuming there is no published list of those selected? Only the SJAs know?

Patrick Bateman

Postby Patrick Bateman » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:39 pm

maxpayne wrote:Also, I am assuming there is no published list of those selected? Only the SJAs know?

The interviewing SJAs of successful applicants are contacted directly by JAX. The list is accessible to anyone in the JAG Corps but is not published online like the Army does.

maxpayne

Postby maxpayne » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:45 pm

Patrick Bateman wrote:
maxpayne wrote:Also, I am assuming there is no published list of those selected? Only the SJAs know?

The interviewing SJAs of successful applicants are contacted directly by JAX. The list is accessible to anyone in the JAG Corps but is not published online like the Army does.

Thanks. Well, I talked to my SJA this morning, and he has not been notified as of yet; so, I will patiently wait for my rejection letter. Haha.

Congrats to everybody who got selected!

DannyBoy31

Postby DannyBoy31 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:26 pm

Congrats to everyone who received good news today! Given the time of day, I guess the wait continues for those of us who applied for a position with the Navy.

phorkedprocess

Postby phorkedprocess » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:42 pm

Last edited by phorkedprocess on Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

northerniowan

Postby northerniowan » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:04 pm

Has anyone else been selected to attend OCS for the Marine Corps this summer on a law contract? OCC-213. READY TO FUCK SHIT UP!

ShockTop

Postby ShockTop » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:26 pm

DannyBoy31 wrote:Congrats to everyone who received good news today! Given the time of day, I guess the wait continues for those of us who applied for a position with the Navy.

Navy isn't notifying until May, apparently.

Return to “Legal Employment”