Military Law

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
target

Re: Military Law

Postby target » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:16 pm

Pdk7 wrote:
Trout et al wrote:Does school prestige matter for JAG? If so, to what extent? What advice would you give someone who is deciding between lower Top-14 at sticker and regional tier-1 with close to full ride? Is JAG basically too selective to even take into consideration when making this decision.

Assume no military experience or connections.
I would say it doesn't matter for the most part. I don't know anything about the other branches but I know that its not really a priority for Army. They care more about the quality of the person. I used to be kind of paranoid about this as well, and I kind of didn't trust other people when they told me the same thing, but do your own research. I went to their website and looked at the list of individuals selected for Active Duty, Reserves, and 1L and 2L internships. You'll see that the list of schools includes almost as many T4 schools as it does T1 on all of them. I did this for each year of law school and as I was applying, and it never really changed. I'm graduating from a Tier 4 school and I got 2L summer internship and the AD position.

With this said, go to a school that you think would give you most job prospects. Don't put all your eggs in the JAG basket.

howell

Postby howell » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:46 am

Trout et al wrote:Does school prestige matter for JAG? If so, to what extent? What advice would you give someone who is deciding between lower Top-14 at sticker and regional tier-1 with close to full ride? Is JAG basically too selective to even take into consideration when making this decision.

I have not seen any indication in the Air Force's selections that school matters at all. In our 60+ person JASOC class, very few are from T14s. I would say most are from solid T1 & T2 schools, but they run the gamut. And this class was all selected during the past year or so, which was certainly a very selective time for the AF. No one that I've talked to who has been involved in the selection process seems concerned with the school. My guess would be that it's tougher finding law students who can handle the legal work who can also be good officers.

I also agree with the poster above who said not to put all of your eggs in the JAG basket. You never know when something might come up that could disqualify you. I think you'll be ahead of the game if you go to law school knowing you want to apply for JAG positions, but, as with anyone applying for JAG, you have to have a plan B. What that is might be better served by less debt or a higher-ranked school.

Esquire

Postby Esquire » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:35 pm

Army JAG doesn't care. But are you planning on being there for life? I suggest going to the school that gives you more options, whether that's job prospects or enough money to be financially sound enough to take any job you wish.

Wolverhoo

Postby Wolverhoo » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:34 pm

Speaking from personal experience: I am at a Top-10 school with family military connections at the highest level (believe it or not) and I have been rejected multiple times. This may be more due to the fact that I worked for a firm instead of applying for internship, generally corporate-looking resume, etc., but my school prestige did not seem to matter. At all.

That said, you need to look at the loan repayment program that your lower Top-14 offers. Top schools typically offer loan repayment programs that are far superior to lower-ranked schools (for obvious reasons). This may mitigate the difference in cost of attendance between your Top-14 and regional Tier 1 should you become a JA. For instance, I mentioned above that I do not believe my school prestige helps much, if at all, but if I am accepted somehow I will be in pretty good shape in terms of loan repayments because my school offers a killer program.

Hope that's helpful.

jagapplicant2012

Postby jagapplicant2012 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:57 pm

Last edited by jagapplicant2012 on Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Myself

Postby Myself » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:41 am

Last edited by Myself on Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

jagapplicant2012

Postby jagapplicant2012 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:58 am

Last edited by jagapplicant2012 on Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fed_Atty

Postby Fed_Atty » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:52 am

This is purely anecdotal, but I graduated from law school a year later than someone who was selected for Army JAG. I actually started Naval Justice School before she went for her training. Granted, they may well have cleared the backlog, but with Sequestration/Continuing Resolution on the horizon it could be a different story. There are some Army folks on here that could definitely provide more accurate gouge. On the plus side, the Army Justice School is in a sweet location and is a great facility!

ZeroDay

Postby ZeroDay » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:53 pm

jagapplicant2012 wrote:
ajax adonis wrote:
jagapplicant2012 wrote:I'll just post for the reference of future people perusing this website. I am AD Army selectee from Dec. I posted earlier about the snail mail regarding our intent to accept or reject our commission. Of course I opted to accept. Today we got email correspondence requesting information they need for the scrolling of our names for Congressional approval of our commissions. The person in charge of dealing with us is currently placing us in classes and we will start dealing with medical stuff in March.

What do you mean being place in classes? Shouldn't all Dec. applicants be in the same class (i.e., 192nd) in ~February 2014?

Are there some that could be in the 193rd in ~July 2014?

Here is an exact quote from the email "I am currently placing you in classes and do not have a list yet. I will have your class assignments ready for dissemination by mid-March." Beyond that, I am not privy to any additional info. I am going in right from law school and predict I'll probably be going in the Feb. class, but perhaps people w/law degree and bar acceptance could go earlier, and I guess it's possible we could go in July '14 as well. Surely, nothing is certain at this point. I will try to continue providing little updates as the info trickles in.
Applicants selected by an AD board are generally divided into separate JAOBC classes. Several factors influence JARO's decisions in assigning applicants to JAOBC classes. Applicants who are selected while in law school must pass the bar, receive medical clearance, and turn in certain required documentation before reporting to JAOBC. I think consideration is also given to the needs of USAR and Guard units -- their JAs attend the same training with AD JAs.

I applied in December 2011, was accepted off the alternate list in June 2012, and was assigned to the 191st JAOBC. The 191st JAOBC is scheduled to start on June 16, 2013 at Fort Benning.

I know several others who graduated law school around the same time I did and were assigned to the 190th JAOBC. At least one of these people took the bar in a state that posted bar results much earlier than my state did. At least two of these people completed internships with the Army JAGC and were "primary selects" from the AD board, not an alternate like I was. These points are probably factors that put the others higher on the Order of Merit List for assignment to a JAOBC class. But then again, I don't really know what goes on at JARO.

shir9650

Postby shir9650 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:58 pm

jagapplicant2012 wrote:
ajax adonis wrote:
jagapplicant2012 wrote:I'll just post for the reference of future people perusing this website. I am AD Army selectee from Dec. I posted earlier about the snail mail regarding our intent to accept or reject our commission. Of course I opted to accept. Today we got email correspondence requesting information they need for the scrolling of our names for Congressional approval of our commissions. The person in charge of dealing with us is currently placing us in classes and we will start dealing with medical stuff in March.

What do you mean being place in classes? Shouldn't all Dec. applicants be in the same class (i.e., 192nd) in ~February 2014?

Here is an exact quote from the email "I am currently placing you in classes and do not have a list yet. I will have your class assignments ready for dissemination by mid-March." Beyond that, I am not privy to any additional info. I am going in right from law school and predict I'll probably be going in the Feb. class, but perhaps people w/law degree and bar acceptance could go earlier, and I guess it's possible we could go in July '14 as well. Surely, nothing is certain at this point. I will try to continue providing little updates as the info trickles in.

Do you happen to know how many people were included on the e-mail from JARO or how many will be in your class?

abogadesq

Postby abogadesq » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:26 pm

Does anyone know how many selection boards the Army has every year and when they are held?
Last edited by abogadesq on Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jagjen82

Postby Jagjen82 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:43 pm

shir9650 wrote:
jagapplicant2012 wrote:
ajax adonis wrote:

Do you happen to know how many people were included on the e-mail from JARO or how many will be in your class?

I can speak for the Army. I'm currently at the JAOBC (190th), and there are 87 of us. The Army has three classes a year - February, July and October. Expect a wait before beginning - I was selected in January 2012 and started in February of 2013.

Trout et al

Postby Trout et al » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:51 pm

Last edited by Trout et al on Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shir9650

Postby shir9650 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:59 pm

Jagjen82 wrote:

I can speak for the Army. I'm currently at the JAOBC (190th), and there are 87 of us. The Army has three classes a year - February, July and October. Expect a wait before beginning - I was selected in January 2012 and started in February of 2013.

Do you know the make up of the class, active duty v. reserves/NG?

erik_1717

Postby erik_1717 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:59 pm

Army 2L Summer interns, has anybody heard anything regarding base assignments and things like that? I was only picked as an alternate, but was thinking we would find stuff out this week.

DannyBoy31

Postby DannyBoy31 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:29 pm

Haven't heard of any GLP/OYCP calls going out yet. I guess next week it is.

adonai

Postby adonai » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:35 pm

DannyBoy31 wrote:Haven't heard of any GLP/OYCP calls going out yet. I guess next week it is.

My SJA told me if I didn't get a call that means a rejection.

DannyBoy31

Postby DannyBoy31 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:47 pm

adonai wrote:
DannyBoy31 wrote:Haven't heard of any GLP/OYCP calls going out yet. I guess next week it is.

My SJA told me if I didn't get a call that means a rejection.

I've also heard that but in order to know you didn't get the call you would have to find out some other way that the calls already went out...or wait the extra week or so until the rejection letter comes in the mail.

f_atc

Postby f_atc » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:21 pm

Just got a call from my local SJA. I got in! AF GLP

adonai

Postby adonai » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:24 pm

f_atc wrote:Just got a call from my local SJA. I got in! AF GLP

Hey congrats! I guess that means the results are out and I'm guessing the rest of us who didn't get a call today didn't get in.

DannyBoy31

Postby DannyBoy31 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:43 pm

f_atc wrote:Just got a call from my local SJA. I got in! AF GLP

Wow this late in the afternoon? I'm guessing your on the west coast? I'm not giving up hope quite yet.

f_atc

Postby f_atc » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:51 pm

I got the call at around 1700 central time.

DannyBoy31

Postby DannyBoy31 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:53 pm

f_atc wrote:I got the call at around 1700 central time.

Interesting...ok thanks a lot for the update.

Needajob1

Postby Needajob1 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:15 pm

What year in Law School were you applying to the AF GLP? I was planning on doing that too, but am going back and forth on the best timing? So many options here...

f_atc

Postby f_atc » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:27 pm

Needajob1 wrote:What year in Law School were you applying to the AF GLP? I was planning on doing that too, but am going back and forth on the best timing? So many options here...

I'm a 1L.

Return to “Legal Employment”