Military Law

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Myself

Postby Myself » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:01 pm

Last edited by Myself on Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pdk7

Re: Military Law

Postby Pdk7 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:36 pm

ajax adonis wrote:When are the assignment locations coming?

I don't think we get those until after we start training. Thats typically how the Army operates. Enlisted kids don't find out their assignments until the last few days before graduating Basic. Kids out of BOLC don't find out their assignments until they're most of the way through. If I remember correctly, you get a dream sheet during JAG school, and put down your top three choices. They consider that ( I don't know how much) and then make their decisions and get back to you. The CPTs I worked for this summer made it sound like all of that happened at JAG school, but who knows. Plus they like to know that you're actually going to be working, or theres a good chance that you will, before they fill their slots. They don't even know if most of us are medically qualified, can pass PT tests, are eligible for security clearances, etc. yet. Long story short, get used to not knowing where you're going to be until you're almost there. It will be your life for at least the next four years.

Esquire

Postby Esquire » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:13 pm

Pdk7 wrote:
ajax adonis wrote:When are the assignment locations coming?

I don't think we get those until after we start training. Thats typically how the Army operates. Enlisted kids don't find out their assignments until the last few days before graduating Basic. Kids out of BOLC don't find out their assignments until they're most of the way through. If I remember correctly, you get a dream sheet during JAG school, and put down your top three choices. They consider that ( I don't know how much) and then make their decisions and get back to you. The CPTs I worked for this summer made it sound like all of that happened at JAG school, but who knows. Plus they like to know that you're actually going to be working, or theres a good chance that you will, before they fill their slots. They don't even know if most of us are medically qualified, can pass PT tests, are eligible for security clearances, etc. yet. Long story short, get used to not knowing where you're going to be until you're almost there. It will be your life for at least the next four years.

Nope. All the above is wrong.

You get your location list a month or two before you start OBC. Medical is done before commission. Official PT tests are done like a month into OBC. Security clearance issues are handled during OBC but started prior.

If you just got your AD acceptance letter and are still a 3L, search my posts for a timeline. Someone nice should post a summary of it.

Myself

Postby Myself » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:39 pm

Another

Postby Another » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:39 pm

Last edited by Another on Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

allAF

Postby allAF » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:41 pm

adonai wrote:
andythefir wrote:Now that the OYCP deadline has passed does anybody know when we will hear back?

Didn't your FSO tell you? Mine told me last week of Feb or first week of March. No call from FSO means a ding.

For the last two years (maybe even three), calls went out right at the last week of February. I would expect a similar timeline here.

hoogs23

Postby hoogs23 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:56 pm

Hey guys, I am applying to schools right now and hearing back. I want to go into the AFROTC under the OYCP or two-year program, but some schools are not near an AFROTC detachment (not a host or other). If I go to one of these schools would that mean I could not do AFROTC?
Sorry if this was already covered.

target

Postby target » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:23 pm

hoogs23 wrote:Hey guys, I am applying to schools right now and hearing back. I want to go into the AFROTC under the OYCP or two-year program, but some schools are not near an AFROTC detachment (not a host or other). If I go to one of these schools would that mean I could not do AFROTC?

You just go to the nearest detachment, I think.

adonai

Postby adonai » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:52 pm

target wrote:
hoogs23 wrote:Hey guys, I am applying to schools right now and hearing back. I want to go into the AFROTC under the OYCP or two-year program, but some schools are not near an AFROTC detachment (not a host or other). If I go to one of these schools would that mean I could not do AFROTC?

+1. You have to make sure that that attachment has a cross-town agreement with your law school, however. The ROTC officer will figure all of that out for you once you apply to their attachment. Safest bet is to just go to the nearest one to your school.

hoogs23

Postby hoogs23 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:00 am

adonai wrote:
target wrote:

+1. You have to make sure that that attachment has a cross-town agreement with your law school, however. The ROTC officer will figure all of that out for you once you apply to their attachment. Safest bet is to just go to the nearest one to your school.

alright. thanks

adonai

Postby adonai » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:06 pm

Had my Navy interview recently. I'm guessing it is a bad sign when the interviewer isn't typing/writing that much as you give your answers. Sigh, back to the drawing board.

Myself

Postby Myself » Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:04 pm

adonai

Postby adonai » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:23 pm

ajax adonis wrote:
adonai wrote:Had my Navy interview recently. I'm guessing it is a bad sign when the interviewer isn't typing/writing that much as you give your answers. Sigh, back to the drawing board.

Don't read too much into it, bro. It's not worth beating yourself up over. Are you going to try for some of the other JAG branches?

Thanks man. Sometimes I just wonder if it is worth the effort. The AF OYCP app/interview was a beast, and my interviewer straight up told me at the end that he didn't think I'd be qualified due to some hard cutoffs they have with regards to GPA and whatnot. I also got dinged from the Army internship after driving half way across the state to interview. It is only my first round through the branches but seems like an epic failure of immense proportions where I just messed up a lot. I've come to realize that they all emphasize "whole person" but I think they really place heavy emphasis on grades and leadership titles, rather than desire to serve (i.e. they would prefer a mcdonalds manager because of the management experience, over a dedicated volunteer for veterans). My advice to everyone applying from the limited experience I have is to get your grades up and pursue positions that have leadership titles. I emphasize titles because even though I had lots of leadership experience, they didn't seem to accept it as legit because it didn't have a formal leadership title. Grades and leadership titles may not count as being everything they take into consideration, but I'd say it weighs about 75% of what they are looking for.

Fed_Atty

Postby Fed_Atty » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:27 pm

adonai wrote:Had my Navy interview recently. I'm guessing it is a bad sign when the interviewer isn't typing/writing that much as you give your answers. Sigh, back to the drawing board.

I have done a bunch of these interviews, we are looking for certain key words. If youare hitting all of them there is no need to take notes, we just give you a good score. Most of the time, if I am taking lots of notes it is because I am not sure if I can give you the points but want to go back so I can see if you maybe said the right thing.

adonai

Postby adonai » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:58 pm

NavyJAG1 wrote:

I have done a bunch of these interviews, we are looking for certain key words. If youare hitting all of them there is no need to take notes, we just give you a good score. Most of the time, if I am taking lots of notes it is because I am not sure if I can give you the points but want to go back so I can see if you maybe said the right thing.

Wow, that is really weird. I was thinking that since there are so many people interviewing, they had to take copious amounts of notes to go back later in order to have points of reference/interviewee comparison in order to tally a score. Do you tally the points according to a checklist, or do you just estimate a rough score mentally? Not taking a lot of notes seems like it would point to the latter method. Regardless, thanks for the information.

bouakedojo

Postby bouakedojo » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:49 pm

NavyJAG1 wrote:

Say wut?

Certain buzzwords are what they're looking for? That seems.....superficial.

Myself

Postby Myself » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:22 am

Last edited by Myself on Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

adonai

Postby adonai » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:15 am

bouakedojo wrote:Say wut?

Certain buzzwords are what they're looking for? That seems.....superficial.

I think it is a good way to sort candidates, though. I remember reading somewhere that the reason they took on the whole scenario based approach was because of a need for uniformity in selections. Apparently, a lot of interviewers took the biglaw approach and talked about sports the whole time with their interviewees. :D I'd rather be tested "objectively" than on how much sports trivia I know, which is why I appreciate the Navy's method.

ajax adonis wrote:
Have you tried Army AD? I heard they're a little more genuinely "whole person."

I will be applying AD come Fall. I have also heard the Army is a lot more "whole person" oriented. They're probably the most lenient when it comes to grades from what I've read here, but place extra emphasis on physical fitness and active lifestyles.

Esquire

Postby Esquire » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:09 am

adonai wrote:I think they really place heavy emphasis on grades and leadership titles, rather than desire to serve (i.e. they would prefer a mcdonalds manager because of the management experience, over a dedicated volunteer for veterans). ... I emphasize titles because even though I had lots of leadership experience, they didn't seem to accept it as legit because it didn't have a formal leadership title. Grades and leadership titles may not count as being everything they take into consideration, but I'd say it weighs about 75% of what they are looking for.

FYI, the above is inaccurate, speaking for the Army. FSOs aren't going to ignore your actual experience just because the title of the position doesn't match up.

Fed_Atty

Postby Fed_Atty » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:10 pm

Last edited by Fed_Atty on Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

erik_1717

Postby erik_1717 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:02 pm

Since we're discussing it, does anyone have any advice regarding the Navy Interview? Mine is scheduled for Wednesday and while I have tried to ask around, I haven't gotten much real advice. I feel sufficiently prepared for typical interview questions, but I really have no clue what we will be discussing for the entire hour. One question I am struggling with though, is not necessarily why I want to serve as a JAG, but really why I want to be in the Navy JAG? This may come across as naive, but I really want to serve and would be willing to serve in any branch. I don't necessarily think that would be a good answer to the question though.

I have really tried to research and look as to what stands out about the Navy as compared to other branches, but I feel as if I'm not getting anything solid. It seems like the Navy offers more opportunity for specialization? (could be wrong there).

If it comes to Wednesday and I still don't feel I have a genuinely honest answer for specifically why I want Navy, I may just have to tell them the truth. People always mention that experiences in each JAG branch are vastly different and we should choose one that we feel most comfortable with and while I agree, I also think that our attitude's dictate 99% of our current situation. This is part of the reasoning of why I think that if I was lucky enough to be selected for ANY program that I would be happy to do so and would be able to enjoy my experience.

I don't know. Experienced guys/girls on here, is that way off base?

erik_1717

Postby erik_1717 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:59 pm

I had my Navy interview today. I felt that it went pretty well (aside from a flat tire driving to my interview location last night!). The interview itself however, was actually kind of a fun challenge. I'm sure most of you know about the structured interview process and I'm not sure how (if at all) detailed I can be about the specifics, but I really enjoyed it. The Commander interviewing me was also very forward and nice which probably helped make the entire situation more relaxed.

Good luck to those submitting for the Feb. 15 Navy SP! This will be my first Navy Board.

Postby 71723 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:53 pm

erik_1717 wrote:I had my Navy interview today. I felt that it went pretty well (aside from a flat tire driving to my interview location last night!). The interview itself however, was actually kind of a fun challenge. I'm sure most of you know about the structured interview process and I'm not sure how (if at all) detailed I can be about the specifics, but I really enjoyed it. The Commander interviewing me was also very forward and nice which probably helped make the entire situation more relaxed.

Good luck to those submitting for the Feb. 15 Navy SP! This will be my first Navy Board.

I pretty much had the same experience. I was pretty nervous about the structured part, but it wound up not being that bad based on how friendly the CDR and LT I interviewed with were. My first Navy Board as well, good luck to you!

erik_1717

Postby erik_1717 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:40 pm

Navy JAG app is FINALLY due today! You guys wanna know how I realized JAG (in any branch) is something I really want? I can tell you exactly when it hit me. When I realized that every time I talk to a friend/family member/classmate, I turn the conversation into something regarding JAG. It's gotten to the point where I'll find myself talking to my roommate about JAG and he'll just let me go on and on, while he doesn't even pay attention. Yes, I've become that guy! It's terrible! I hate this waiting game, but at the same time, it's so much fun. It really gives you something to work towards. A real goal.

Good luck everyone and whatever you're doing today, make it great!

balzie94

Postby balzie94 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:54 pm

Last edited by balzie94 on Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Legal Employment”