Military Law

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
ZeroDay

Re: Military Law

Postby ZeroDay » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:32 pm

hopkins23 wrote:Question for Army AD: for JAOBC training, which parts (eg virginia and georgia) can we bring our spouses with us?

Also, does Army pay for any costs during travel for JAOBC? Thx

The training schedule for the 191st JAOBC will be different -- I'm not sure if the changes will be permanent. But I can tell you that we'll start at Fort Benning and stay there for five weeks (instead of six weeks). Then we'll go to the JAG School for 10.5 weeks. We have the option of taking family to the JAG School but not to Fort Benning. They've completely dropped the Fort Lee phase for my class. The Army coordinates travel, and they've instructed us (in all caps) not to take the initiative to set up and pay for any travel.

twenty

Postby twenty » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:19 pm

Out of curiosity, what is the advantage to doing GLP over OYCP?

adonai

Postby adonai » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:39 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:Out of curiosity, what is the advantage to doing GLP over OYCP?

First and foremost, knowing you have a job waiting for you at the end of law school by the second semester of 1L. Being in ROTC for an additional year and getting an additional year's worth of stipend, etc.

Myself

Postby Myself » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:04 pm

Last edited by Myself on Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

ZeroDay

Postby ZeroDay » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:04 pm

ajax adonis wrote:
ZeroDay wrote:The training schedule for the 191st JAOBC will be different -- I'm not sure if the changes will be permanent. But I can tell you that we'll start at Fort Benning and stay there for five weeks (instead of six weeks). Then we'll go to the JAG School for 10.5 weeks. We have the option of taking family to the JAG School but not to Fort Benning. They've completely dropped the Fort Lee phase for my class. The Army coordinates travel, and they've instructed us (in all caps) not to take the initiative to set up and pay for any travel.
Ah, thanks. Did all this information come to you in the packet they send you before you accept/decline the offer? Or did you have to fish for it yourself through your FSO/JARO?

JARO emailed in December to tell us of the changes to our schedule. A few days ago they created a page on JAGCNet for the 191st, and that webpage also has this info.

Myself

Postby Myself » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:18 pm

Last edited by Myself on Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Legallybound2010

Postby Legallybound2010 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:01 pm

ajax adonis wrote:Did anybody apply to and get into multiple branch JAG AD programs? Is that possible/advised?

I am applying both to the Air Force and the Navy. I cannot speak on getting into the programs. However, I spoke to a Navy JAG officer about applying to the different branches. She said that it wouldn't hurt me to apply to the different branches. That being said, if you decide to go that route, I would definitely make sure that you have a reason you can articulate as to why you want to join each particular branch.

Myself

Postby Myself » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:09 pm

Last edited by Myself on Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

jagapplicant2012

Postby jagapplicant2012 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:09 pm

Last edited by jagapplicant2012 on Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shir9650

Postby shir9650 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:28 pm

I received my Army AD alternate letter today. Is anyone considering not accepting their Army AD offer?

Myself

Postby Myself » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:43 pm

Last edited by Myself on Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

BetterCallSaul!

Postby BetterCallSaul! » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:45 pm

May be a silly question...

Is there any underlying animus/resentment between the JAG Corps and other officer corps among the respective branches? How about vis-a-vis enlisted members towards JAG officers as opposed to other officers?

czelede

Postby czelede » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:29 pm

Just wanted to let you guys know that calls for the AF summer internship have started going out.

holajerin

Postby holajerin » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:16 pm

czelede wrote:Just wanted to let you guys know that calls for the AF summer internship have started going out.

I take it you received such a call? Or are you connected to someone making the calls?

czelede

Postby czelede » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:29 pm

holajerin wrote:
czelede wrote:Just wanted to let you guys know that calls for the AF summer internship have started going out.

I take it you received such a call? Or are you connected to someone making the calls?

A friend of mine received a call earlier this afternoon.

erik_1717

Postby erik_1717 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:46 pm

Is it safe to say that if we haven't received a call today then we probably did not get accepted? Also, does anyone know if they have a website that will eventually list those selected/alternates similar to what the Army website does? I know there is a FB page, but I have yet to see anything on it.

bouakedojo

Postby bouakedojo » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:41 am

erik_1717 wrote:

Is it safe to say that if we haven't received a call today then we probably did not get accepted? Also, does anyone know if they have a website that will eventually list those selected/alternates similar to what the Army website does? I know there is a FB page, but I have yet to see anything on it.

I would imagine it shouldn't take too long to make calls for 25 people. There won't be any list dropped or anything like that. You either get a phone call or you'll get a letter in the mail much later.

czelede

Postby czelede » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:02 pm

bouakedojo wrote:
erik_1717 wrote:

I would imagine it shouldn't take too long to make calls for 25 people. There won't be any list dropped or anything like that. You either get a phone call or you'll get a letter in the mail much later.

I also imagine that there may be alternates on the list, in case one of the original 25 doesn't accept the internship. One of my friends didn't get a rejection letter until late April/early May last year (it was dated late April), but others got theirs much earlier.

andythefir

Postby andythefir » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:53 pm

Now that the OYCP deadline has passed does anybody know when we will hear back?

Jag1234

Postby Jag1234 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:59 pm

jagapplicant2012 wrote:
ajax adonis wrote:Someone said they got an Army AD letter today. True for anyone else?

I got my letter for Army AD today. The letter was put in the mail on Jan 22 and has a formal offer letter dated Jan. 18 that is signed by a LIEUT COL. You have to respond by Feb. 8, 2013.

Anyone from the west coast receive their Army AD letter yet? If it was mailed on the 22nd I should have gotten it by now. I am in CA.

Also, does anyone know how they assign the JAOBC classes? I am already licensed to practice in CA and wont have any medical issues. I want to get into the earliest possible JAOBC class. I already have the necessary documents completed (SF86 etc) and have been training for months (This was my 2nd try and I was working with an officer recruiter and planned to go to OCS if I was not accepted). I have emailed my recruiter twice but received no response.

bouakedojo

Postby bouakedojo » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:04 pm

Got an email with a no from the official 2L AF JAG internship today! Not surprised since there's only 25 spots for 1Ls and 2Ls.

Good luck to anyone else still in the hunt! :D

Pdk7

Postby Pdk7 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:23 pm

Jag1234 wrote:
jagapplicant2012 wrote:
ajax adonis wrote:Someone said they got an Army AD letter today. True for anyone else?

I got my letter for Army AD today. The letter was put in the mail on Jan 22 and has a formal offer letter dated Jan. 18 that is signed by a LIEUT COL. You have to respond by Feb. 8, 2013.

Anyone from the west coast receive their Army AD letter yet? If it was mailed on the 22nd I should have gotten it by now. I am in CA.

Also, does anyone know how they assign the JAOBC classes? I am already licensed to practice in CA and wont have any medical issues. I want to get into the earliest possible JAOBC class. I already have the necessary documents completed (SF86 etc) and have been training for months (This was my 2nd try and I was working with an officer recruiter and planned to go to OCS if I was not accepted). I have emailed my recruiter twice but received no response.

I'm in SoCal and I got mine on Thursday. Admittedly, this whole time I'd been checking for it I was looking for a larger packet-type envelope, but its really just a thin normal letter-sized envelope.

erik_1717

Postby erik_1717 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:56 pm

bouakedojo wrote:Got an email with a no from the official 2L AF JAG internship today! Not surprised since there's only 25 spots for 1Ls and 2Ls.

Good luck to anyone else still in the hunt! :D

Got the same one. Congrats to those who got it!

adonai

Postby adonai » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:42 pm

andythefir wrote:Now that the OYCP deadline has passed does anybody know when we will hear back?

Didn't your FSO tell you? Mine told me last week of Feb or first week of March. No call from FSO means a ding.

Dostoevsky

Postby Dostoevsky » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:39 pm

I got back to SoCal on Wed and the offer letter was in my mailbox. Looks like they want a scanned copy emailed and the hard copy mailed.

Return to “Legal Employment”