Military Law

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
adonai

Re: Military Law

Postby adonai » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:46 pm

rrami006 wrote:I just set up a hiring interview with an Air Force SJA for the Graduate Law Program. For anyone that has gone through the 2 year program or something similar, what can I expect in the interview, as they said it would be 3 hours long?

Aside from standard interview questions, they will go through the app with you to make sure you filled out everything correctly. They will also pick apart your resume in excruciating detail. Also, be ready for the possibility of a hypo oral argument style. Some applicants have encountered that part.

Patrick Bateman

Postby Patrick Bateman » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:04 pm

rrami006 wrote:I just set up a hiring interview with an Air Force SJA for the Graduate Law Program. For anyone that has gone through the 2 year program or something similar, what can I expect in the interview, as they said it would be 3 hours long?

Read up on any of the posts from the DAP applicants about their interview. The DAP and GLP/OCYP interviews are usually similar, diverging when it comes to the servicing ROTC Det and other technical issues. The big YMMV is the SJA - each is different and their interviewing styles/methods can be wildly different.

jagapplicant2012

Postby jagapplicant2012 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:45 pm

Last edited by jagapplicant2012 on Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Postby LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:10 am

jagapplicant2012 wrote:
bouakedojo wrote:
ajax adonis wrote:Did any people accepted into JAG receive any further information from their FSOs or the recruiting office?

I spoke with someone selected AD for Army and, as of Sunday, this person had not heard anything from anyone yet.

votewarrior wrote:My FSO and I have traded a few emails since, but really just pleasantries, nothing more.

Still no mail with formal offer etc

I also have received nothing. Glad you guys posted. I was going to contact JARO as I thought it might be lost in the mail. Please post when you hear something.

They sent out an email to the Army internship alternates asking for location preferences/our acceptance of a position if one is offered. Perhaps yours are coming soon?

erik_1717

Postby erik_1717 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:04 pm

Speaking of Army Internship, I was also selected as an alternate and am trying to consider what bases to list as preference. Not sure how much my preference will matter if I get selected since there's a good chance I'll go wherever the selected didn't want to go, but does anyone have any advice on which bases to go to? I've read most of the thread and remember someone mentioning going to a bigger base so that the potential recommendation letter you hope to receive may be from a higher ranking officer. That seems to make sense. If that is the case, does anyone recommend a certain base? Or is there any other general advice with regards to base/field of study selection. We'll say for the sake of avoiding the issue that money is not a problem so I'd be willing to live abroad and pay for the flights. However, I also think I remember someone saying something about not going overseas because that system is different (or something along those lines)? Any truth to this? Obviously I have preferences as to what I would be studying and where I would be going, but the main objective is to maximize my chances of being selected if the Army route works out.

Esquire

Postby Esquire » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:11 pm

erik_1717 wrote:but the main objective is to maximize my chances of being selected if the Army route works out.

First, that was me.

Second, if that's your main goal, go to a FORSCOM. Big bases. Bragg, Hood, Lewis, Carson, Stewart. Carson and Lewis are really great locations. Stewart has Savannah nearby. I'd even put down Hawaii, with the 25th ID. That's high speed but in an awesome location. You'll get to do more work and have the chance to impress more people.

But don't pick somewhere like Fort Bragg if you're out of shape. Be ready to run.

MaverickDC123

Postby MaverickDC123 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:19 pm

Does anyone know if the RC considers non selects for army AD? I requested that my application be sent to the reserves but, it wasn't clear if the RC only considers alternates and AD selects. Thanks!

erik_1717

Postby erik_1717 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:10 pm

Esquire wrote:
erik_1717 wrote:but the main objective is to maximize my chances of being selected if the Army route works out.

First, that was me.

Second, if that's your main goal, go to a FORSCOM. Big bases. Bragg, Hood, Lewis, Carson, Stewart. Carson and Lewis are really great locations. Stewart has Savannah nearby. I'd even put down Hawaii, with the 25th ID. That's high speed but in an awesome location. You'll get to do more work and have the chance to impress more people.

But don't pick somewhere like Fort Bragg if you're out of shape. Be ready to run.

Thanks for the quick response and great advice. Couple of questions. When you say that was me do you mean that was your objective as well? Also I looked up what FORSCOM meant and basically it seems like those are the big bases you had listed. Is there something else I should be looking for regarding FORSCOM?

I think I should be ok fitness wise as I have also been going through the process of applying to the Marine Corps and enjoy the physical stuff. So I'm guessing you did the internship? Did you enjoy it? Have you continued to pursue the Army and applied for Direct appointment or reserves? Sorry if I'm asking too much but this info seems invaluable. Feel free to tell me I'm pressing too much haha.

erik_1717

Postby erik_1717 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:39 am

My dilemma:

Here's some background information. I have been in the process of applying for JAG through the Marine Corps for about 4 months now. I finally have completed my application and my app will go before the selection board in late February. I also have recently been selected as an alternate for the 2L summer internship. I am also just completing my application to the Navy and will be submitting it for the first time in mid February.

When I initially began this process, I was dead set on the Marines Corps. However, I feel that the more research I have done, the more I am questioning my logic. In my eyes, I am definitely dedicated to the process of the Marine Corps and I have been working out diligently to prepare for OCS in the summer if I am selected. I have also put in a ridiculous amount of time to do this app. Anyone who has applied to go the Marine Corps route knows that the application (at least initially) is far more daunting. My worry is about what will happen if I am selected for both the Army Internship and the Marine Law program. Further, I really don't know what I would do if I were somehow magically selected for the Navy Program as well. I have genuinely thought about this a lot and have found obvious pros and cons to both the Army Internship as well as the Marine Corps. (The Navy is kind of on the back burner since this is my first app and I don't necessarily expect to be selected).

Army Internship pros:
- only a 60 day commitment
- best thing you can have on an app to be accepted for direct appointment as a 3L
- I will get an idea of what the life is like. (not that I think I wouldn't like it, but it would be foolish to not consider this)
- If I am fortunate enough to do this and then later be accepted for the real program as a 3L, there is a chance for the $60,000 or $65,000 loan repayment program. **I know that you guys have said it is under review, but at least the program exists for now. As far as I know there is no such loan repayment program for the Marines.**
- It's going to look good on a resume for whatever I may decide to do.

Army Internship cons:
- Obviously this does not equate to acceptance to become an actual Army JAG.
- I must pay for travel and living expenses.

Marine Corps pros:
- I will actually be accepted into a program and begin my JAG journey. (awesome!)
- I will no longer have to worry about being accepted into any other programs or have to do any application like work over 3L year.
- I will get paid as a LT during my 10 week "vacation" at Quantico.

Marine Corps cons:
- As stated earlier, I may get in and quickly realize that military life is not for me (as I said, highly doubtful, but should be considered)
- About 30% of the people who go to OCS do not make it. That means I if I am part of that 30%, I have nothing on my resume for my 2L summer. To me, this seems as if it can really hurt my resume.
- No loan repayment that I know of.

Please don't think that I am only doing this for the $$$, but as I mature, I really start to think about how substantial these law school loans will be. While it is under review, the loan repayment the Army was offering just sounds so damn enticing and is really messing with my head. Also, I intend to continue applying to the Navy and I think I will do whatever the Air Force offers for 3Ls. I was a little behind in my AF research and did not start the work until late December, meaning I was too late to do anything as a 2L.

This far into the process, I think it's pretty safe to say that I am probably more of an Army/Marine mentality, but I do not know how much weight to put into that. I would gladly and happily serve for any branch. I can promise that. However, I have done little to research the incentives that one branch may offer compared to another. Salaries for example, are they the same for all branches? I thought they were, but maybe I am wrong. I am sure this is information that I can easily find online, so feel free to leave that up to me if you feel I am being lazy. I am really just looking for some advice or for any other factors I should consider.

The truth is that I am kind of shocked that I have even made it this far. I am just close to being in the top half of my class (2.65 gpa) at a T4 school. I like to think that should play into this thought process as well. I guess once I found out that I was actually selected as an alternate for the Army internship, I really started to think I may have a chance to get into some of these programs.

Also, I know that I have NOT BEEN SELECTED FOR ANYTHING, INTERNSHIP OR ACTUAL PROGRAM, but if I do get selected, things could start happening very quickly, and I want to be prepared.

Thanks everyone for any advice and for already contributing so much to this thread.

bouakedojo

Postby bouakedojo » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:20 pm

erik_1717 wrote:My dilemma:

snip

I don't know for sure, but one thing that would enter my calculation is how it would look to the Army if you turned them down for their internship, and then applied AD later. Would it hurt your chances to go AD if you did? Maybe Esquire or someone else could answer that.

Also, just curious, since your grades aren't the best, would you mind me asking you what you think made the difference for your application to be selected as an alternate?

Esquire

Postby Esquire » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:25 pm

I know someone who turned down the 1L Army internship and got selected for AD. However, he took another job before the results came out, which is a good reason, and he did the 2L internship.

Don't let the $65k loan repayment cloud your judgment. It's a very, very substantial amount but pick which branch will make you happiest. A service member's life in each branch is tremendously different. If you think you'll be happy in the USMC or Army, then by all means, go for the $65k.

You still have the 10 year public service loan forgiveness and IBR.

All branches get the same base pay, yes. But each branch has different incentives, I'm sure. I wouldn't let that be a factor as it's likely not enough to justify a branch choice. Lifestyle should be your main concern.

The truth is that I am kind of shocked that I have even made it this far. I am just close to being in the top half of my class (2.65 gpa) at a T4 school. I like to think that should play into this thought process as well. I guess once I found out that I was actually selected as an alternate for the Army internship, I really started to think I may have a chance to get into some of these programs.

Grades matter. I really, really think schools don't matter. Keep in mind, I don't have any evidence and it's just my belief. But I truly think the Army just sees the school as a checkbox. I know it's difficult to grasp, on this forum especially, that your school doesn't matter. Grades, however, do matter, but won't count you out. Best of luck.

As stated earlier, I may get in and quickly realize that military life is not for me

I'm not USMC but I think after OCS, you have the ability to accept or decline. Even if you were miserable during OCS, things will get better. All my USMC JAG buddies say OCS was the most miserable experience of their lives and it only gets better from there.
Last edited by Esquire on Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Myself

Postby Myself » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:12 pm

Last edited by Myself on Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

NAOBERJU

Postby NAOBERJU » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:59 pm

I would not necessarily recommend doing this, but I turned down the 1L Army internship. I was accepted and participated in the 2L Army internship--I was surprised I was selected a second time--and was finally picked up for AD. I don't think it automatically disqualifies you if you turn them down, but it probably doesn't help.

Pdk7

Postby Pdk7 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:50 pm

RE Turning down internships having an impact on chances for AD:

This is just a guess, but I know that the AD board is completely separate from the Internship board(s). Also, on the AD app it only asks if you DID the internship, not whether or not you were accepted (at least as far as I remember). Even if you did turn down the internship I don't think that information would be readily accessible to the AD board when they're making their decision.

erik_1717

Postby erik_1717 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:01 pm

bouakedojo wrote:

snip

I don't know for sure, but one thing that would enter my calculation is how it would look to the Army if you turned them down for their internship, and then applied AD later. Would it hurt your chances to go AD if you did? Maybe Esquire or someone else could answer that.

Also, just curious, since your grades aren't the best, would you mind me asking you what you think made the difference for your application to be selected as an alternate?
[quote="bouakedojo"][quote="erik_1717"]My dilemma:

Sure. I think what really helped me was past leadership experience and my interview. It's funny, but the counselor at my school advertised the Army interview as an "informational interview", so I walked in not anticipating an interview for the internship. I think it may have helped me actually because I walked into the interview relaxed and full of questions. It also helps that the Captain interviewing me was great and we saw eye to eye on many leadership aspects. I left the interview feeling great and actually was able to stay in contact with the Captain through an occasional e-mail.

Also, I have been lucky enough to be pretty involved in other aspects of law school. I came straight to law school from undergrad, but I began working 15 hours/week at a firm during the second semester of 1L. I continued to work there over the summer and also externed for a local Judge who was great as well. I started working for another firm at the begin of 2L and am currently working there, and also am a fellow for one of the moot court teams. I took a course in appellate advocacy over the summer and wrote an appellate brief that I was able to submit as a writing sample too. I'm also a part of some clubs at school but I don't think that has much bearing. So, maybe my ambition to get legal experience and courtroom experience stood out to them?

Lastly, I have a pretty good undergrad resume. I played baseball at for a small NCAA D3 school and was a 2 time team captain. I earned all conference and academic all conference awards, and my undergrad GPA was far better at a 3.565. I'm guessing the military probably looks pretty highly at those who did athletics in college, especially with a leadership position. I also studied abroad one summer. Maybe that helped, maybe it didn't.

So yeah, we can never know exactly what helped or hurt. I'd guess these were probably the stronger parts of my application though.

With regards to the other stuff, the only reason I would consider turning down the Army summer internship would be my selection for Marine OCS. Thus, if I get into OCS and survive it, I won't have to worry about whether or not the Army knows I turned down the internship. I suppose though, that if I do go to OCS, not make it, and start applying for Army Direct Appointment, then I may run into that dilemma.

Thanks for the help and advice so far everyone. It has been great. Esquire, at this point I think I would truly be happy in either route. Honestly, just getting the opportunity to be a member of any branch would be incredible. I have always believed that it's not our situation that dictates our happiness, rather the attitude we have in approaching any situation. I think that may be why I have put so much thought into the loan repayment stuff. I'm willing to bet I'd be happy in any branch and I think that is what gets me thinking about other factors like the loan repayment that other branches offer that the Marine Corps does not. I guess what I'm trying to say is, if I'm lucky enough to get into more than one program and will be happy wherever, why not take advantage of incentives one program may have that another does not.

This talk has been great just for thinking about it. At this point I have no idea what I will choose if I end up having to make a choice. I've got at least a month longer to think about it and I have a feeling it is going to keep bugging me. I think the key will be to remember what's important. At the end of the day, if I can just be accepted into one of these programs, let alone more than one, then I will be doing exactly what I wanted to do with my law degree. If I can just keep that mindset, I think peace of mind in making these tough decisions may come easier.

Another

Postby Another » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:53 pm

Last edited by Another on Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bkenney2

Postby bkenney2 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:01 pm

erik_1717 wrote:
bouakedojo wrote:

snip

bouakedojo wrote:

Sure. I think what really helped me was past leadership experience and my interview. It's funny, but the counselor at my school advertised the Army interview as an "informational interview", so I walked in not anticipating an interview for the internship. I think it may have helped me actually because I walked into the interview relaxed and full of questions. It also helps that the Captain interviewing me was great and we saw eye to eye on many leadership aspects. I left the interview feeling great and actually was able to stay in contact with the Captain through an occasional e-mail.

Also, I have been lucky enough to be pretty involved in other aspects of law school. I came straight to law school from undergrad, but I began working 15 hours/week at a firm during the second semester of 1L. I continued to work there over the summer and also externed for a local Judge who was great as well. I started working for another firm at the begin of 2L and am currently working there, and also am a fellow for one of the moot court teams. I took a course in appellate advocacy over the summer and wrote an appellate brief that I was able to submit as a writing sample too. I'm also a part of some clubs at school but I don't think that has much bearing. So, maybe my ambition to get legal experience and courtroom experience stood out to them?

Lastly, I have a pretty good undergrad resume. I played baseball at for a small NCAA D3 school and was a 2 time team captain. I earned all conference and academic all conference awards, and my undergrad GPA was far better at a 3.565. I'm guessing the military probably looks pretty highly at those who did athletics in college, especially with a leadership position. I also studied abroad one summer. Maybe that helped, maybe it didn't.

So yeah, we can never know exactly what helped or hurt. I'd guess these were probably the stronger parts of my application though.

With regards to the other stuff, the only reason I would consider turning down the Army summer internship would be my selection for Marine OCS. Thus, if I get into OCS and survive it, I won't have to worry about whether or not the Army knows I turned down the internship. I suppose though, that if I do go to OCS, not make it, and start applying for Army Direct Appointment, then I may run into that dilemma.

Thanks for the help and advice so far everyone. It has been great. Esquire, at this point I think I would truly be happy in either route. Honestly, just getting the opportunity to be a member of any branch would be incredible. I have always believed that it's not our situation that dictates our happiness, rather the attitude we have in approaching any situation. I think that may be why I have put so much thought into the loan repayment stuff. I'm willing to bet I'd be happy in any branch and I think that is what gets me thinking about other factors like the loan repayment that other branches offer that the Marine Corps does not. I guess what I'm trying to say is, if I'm lucky enough to get into more than one program and will be happy wherever, why not take advantage of incentives one program may have that another does not.

This talk has been great just for thinking about it. At this point I have no idea what I will choose if I end up having to make a choice. I've got at least a month longer to think about it and I have a feeling it is going to keep bugging me. I think the key will be to remember what's important. At the end of the day, if I can just be accepted into one of these programs, let alone more than one, then I will be doing exactly what I wanted to do with my law degree. If I can just keep that mindset, I think peace of mind in making these tough decisions may come easier.

I would consider that USMC selections are finicky to say the least. They take very few, and they require you to basically have a 300 PFT when you go to the board for any chance at selection. Considering the impending draw down and cuts to the defense budget I would imagine they aren't looking to sign up many new officers. This is all to say that USMC is difficult to get in and the selection boards are impossible to predict. Just an FYI, one in the hand vs. two in the bush type thing. Good luck. If you'd like to talk USMC stuff feel free to pm me. I will be heading to OCS this summer and can tell you about my process. Good luck!

Princethedog

Postby Princethedog » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:15 pm

bkenney2 wrote:
erik_1717 wrote:
bouakedojo wrote:

snip

bouakedojo wrote:

I would consider that USMC selections are finicky to say the least. They take very few, and they require you to basically have a 300 PFT when you go to the board for any chance at selection. Considering the impending draw down and cuts to the defense budget I would imagine they aren't looking to sign up many new officers. This is all to say that USMC is difficult to get in and the selection boards are impossible to predict. Just an FYI, one in the hand vs. two in the bush type thing. Good luck. If you'd like to talk USMC stuff feel free to pm me. I will be heading to OCS this summer and can tell you about my process. Good luck!

Long time lurker here. Congrats to bouakedojo I will be joining you this summer at OCS. The Corps selection boards are very finicky, but not impossible; contingent on the needs of the corp. I was accepted with a 266 PFT. I believe they take into account the whole package, especially any skills and experiences you bring to the table. I also believe what your OSO says about you in his recommendation is big; did your pft go up 50%, why do you want the Marines and not some other branch etc. Never lose hope, apparently from what I hear there are some boards meeting in February for law contracts.

From the Marine JA's I've talked to, the main thing to think about if you get accepted and are offered a commission is if you want to be a Marine and your reasons for this. My recommendation is to hang out with some current Marines and see the culture. If you love it, than it may be for you. At my school (large research University) all the potential candidates (Air, Ground, Law) work out together with some current and former Marines. It has been a great experience and fully convinced me this is what I want to do and with this branch. As for OCS I've been told that it may be one of the toughest things in life you will ever do, but if you WANT it to the point of NEEDING it then you will get through. The washout rate is part medical and part weeding out guys that do not want to be Marines, (from secondhand sources). Hope I was some help and good luck.

wwUSMC84

Postby wwUSMC84 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:01 am

Ladies and Gents,

I am a current Marine Captain with nearly 6 years in. I was recently selected for FLEP and will be attending LS in the fall. Additionally I have sat on MECEP/OCC selection boards. If any of you have any Marine Corps/OCS specific questions, I'd be more that happy to address them.

S/F

bouakedojo

Postby bouakedojo » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:35 pm

erik_1717 wrote:Sure. I think what really helped me was past leadership experience and my interview. It's funny, but the counselor at my school advertised the Army interview as an "informational interview", so I walked in not anticipating an interview for the internship. I think it may have helped me actually because I walked into the interview relaxed and full of questions. It also helps that the Captain interviewing me was great and we saw eye to eye on many leadership aspects. I left the interview feeling great and actually was able to stay in contact with the Captain through an occasional e-mail.

Thanks for the response, Erik. And good luck in whatever route you choose!

Legallybound2010

Last Minute Suggestions

Postby Legallybound2010 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:06 pm

Hey all,

I have my Navy JAG interview on Friday. I have been reading up on structured interviews and coming up with sample answers. Any other last minute tips or suggestions?

chicubs88

Postby chicubs88 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:25 pm

erik_1717 wrote:Marine Corps pros:
- I will actually be accepted into a program and begin my JAG journey. (awesome!)
- I will no longer have to worry about being accepted into any other programs or have to do any application like work over 3L year.
- I will get paid as a LT during my 10 week "vacation" at Quantico.

Marine Corps cons:
- As stated earlier, I may get in and quickly realize that military life is not for me (as I said, highly doubtful, but should be considered)
- About 30% of the people who go to OCS do not make it. That means I if I am part of that 30%, I have nothing on my resume for my 2L summer. To me, this seems as if it can really hurt my resume.
- No loan repayment that I know of.

Marine JAG here. Feel free to PM with specific questions. I wouldn't put too much stock into the "I will get paid while at OCS." I'm pretty sure I made less than $1,000 while at OCS. You have to buy a bunch of your gear/materials and your uniform for graduation/commissioning. At least from my point of view, the greatest thing about the Marine route is the peace of mind you have once you complete OCS. I'm a 2L without a care in the world. No pressure about grades, journal/moot court, cover letters, etc.....I know what I'm doing after graduation and it is an amazing feeling. As for the ~1/3 of candidates who don't make it through OCS. At this point, with selection so tough the vast majority of people sent home are either injured, voluntarily choose to drop, or female.

Mil_Law_JD14

Postby Mil_Law_JD14 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:13 pm

Any news on when AF internship decisions will be released?

erik_1717

Postby erik_1717 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:55 pm

Mil_Law_JD14 wrote:Any news on when AF internship decisions will be released?

The Facebook page said that they hoped to have the results in by early February but did not give a specific date.

Another

Postby Another » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:52 pm

Last edited by Another on Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Legal Employment”