Military Law

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
BruceWayne

Re: Military Law

Postby BruceWayne » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:22 am

At this point is it safe to say that if you haven't received a call you're out for the Dec AF DAP?

shepdawg

Postby shepdawg » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:05 am

BruceWayne wrote:At this point is it safe to say that if you haven't received a call you're out for the Dec AF DAP?

I got my rejection letter last week.

Legallybound2010

Postby Legallybound2010 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:37 am

Hey all, I'm new to this forum. I have been reading through it (still have like 140 pages to go lol). Some great information. I'm 0 for 2 with the Air Force direct appointment and will be reapplying in April. Maybe the 3d time is the charm lol. :mrgreen: I am also applying with the Navy in February.

Myself

Postby Myself » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:36 am

Last edited by Myself on Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Groundie

Postby Groundie » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:07 pm

Anyone know if you use your Army AD FSO interview for reserve? I'd like to not sound stupid before I request it from my FSO.

Patrick Bateman

Postby Patrick Bateman » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:56 am

johndeaux225 wrote:I apologize, but another 0L here, just need some advice on getting a jump on being a JAG.

I come from a strong USAF family (mom was an E-9, dad was an E-8. I have always felt the need to serve, and since I have set my sights on being a lawyer, I want to be a JAG. A career JAG. I would prefer to join the Two Year program while in law school, which for me, is at least 3 (undergraduate) semesters away. I just want some advising before I attempt to go down this path.

First, I live in Louisiana, and plan to attend a Louisiana law school. Due to a unique law code and bar set up, one is usually only prepared to take the Louisiana bar if they attended a LA law school, and you can only practice in LA if you pass the LA bar. Will this specificity help or hinder me? Hinder me as in being too exclusive of a degree, or could it help me, as in, due to the exclusivity, I will only be competing against other applicants from LA? Or should I forget about LA law school entirely and go to a school somewhere else?

Second, in the past, I have been known to partake in some marijuana use. I wouldn't call it heavy use, but it was more than sporadically. By the time I apply to the program (after first semester of 1L) this poor habit will have stopped for over 2 years. I will be honest and forthright in the process, but I do not wish to be disqualified for what I did in late adolescence. Do any of you JAGs know anyone with a similar path or should I just forget about it if I smoked pot more than once or twice?

Third, my parents were at one base my whole life (Barksdale AFB) and became very esteemed members of that community. With any luck, I'd like to interview with some of their old bosses and connections (including a recently retired Major General) in the hopes that I could impress one of them enough to write me a letter of recommendation. Would a rec letter from someone like this help me in my quest? I don't want to ride my parents coattails, but I feel like if I had the chance to sit down with someone with so much knowledge, that they might be able to see past my prior indiscretions and see the JAG potential that I feel I have.

Thank you in advance, to whoever helps. I've wanted to be a JAG since I figured out I wanted to be a lawyer. I love being around the law ( I work part time as a runner for a highly respected LA civil lawyer) and I love my country. I've never wanted anything as much as to be an officer in the USAF, and even if I'm never a JAG, I want to commission as an officer.

1. I've never heard of a LA law degree or license having any impact, one way or the other. This would be marginally helpful if you end up doing legal assistance at Barksdale but that is not going to sway your application odds. Go to whatever school and take whatever bar is best for you.

2. I would not say you are dead on arrival. Be prepared to talk about it with the SJA. You can look at an SF-86 and the questions that get asked about drug use for a security clearance. Should give you a good idea of the questions you may get in an interview. Also, if more than "sporadic" amounts anything that can be colored as "regular" use (versus "experimental"), you will have a tough road ahead of you.

3. A letter from a two-star that barely knows you will not get you anywhere. If that two-star, however, can offer insight about your character and give a favorable opinion of your potential as an officer, it will help.

Patrick Bateman

Postby Patrick Bateman » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:58 am

BruceWayne wrote:At this point is it safe to say that if you haven't received a call you're out for the Dec AF DAP?

Yeah. It would be highly unusual for good news to not have made it your way yet.

Myself

Postby Myself » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:38 am

johndeaux225

Postby johndeaux225 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:18 am

Patrick Bateman, much obliged sir.

Groundie

Postby Groundie » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:01 am

ajax adonis wrote:Army JAG question: How long can I stay at a certain post if I don't want to leave? What would it depend on?

You come and go as the Army says. In most circumstances, you'll be at a given post 2-3 years unless you're getting out. When the time comes, you'll get a preference sheet for your next assignment. Staying there is not an option. In rare circumstances you might be able to extend your tour a year if the needs of the Army dictate that. In short, it depends on the needs of the Army.

To put it bluntly, you cannot join the military and expect to have control of where you live. If you're fine with going where the Army tells you, when it tells you, and doing what it tells you, then I think it'll work out well.

Note that I am not in the Army and am currently 0 for 10 in JAG applications so there ya go.

paul554

Postby paul554 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:41 am

ajax adonis wrote:Army JAG question: How long can I stay at a certain post if I don't want to leave? What would it depend on?

It depends. Division level bases with shortages (Bragg, Lewis, Hood) will be easier to stay at and do interpost transfers. Generally though a PCS is seen as career broadening and will be expected after 3-4 years, though it can be avoided by volunteering for a deployment or taking a needs of the army position at a base. As with everything in the army there is no set answer and it will vary greatly from person to person.

jagapplicant2012

Postby jagapplicant2012 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:51 pm

Last edited by jagapplicant2012 on Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NAOBERJU

Postby NAOBERJU » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:59 pm

Have not received anything from the army yet.

azsxd13

Postby azsxd13 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:08 pm

Would anyone recommend applying for AF Reserves if not selected go DA?

jagapplicant2012

Postby jagapplicant2012 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:20 pm

NAOBERJU wrote:Have not received anything from the army yet.

Thanks NAOBERJU. Also for anyone keeping track, I returned to my law school address after break to find an AF rejection letter. It hurts, but I am very happy with Army!

mbkc03

Postby mbkc03 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:29 am

Do you have to rank in a certain percentile of your graduating class to get offered a commission with Army JAG? Can JAG's here throw out their law school GPA's please? Thanks.

Myself

Postby Myself » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:09 am

Fed_Atty

Postby Fed_Atty » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:31 am

Last edited by Fed_Atty on Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ScottRiqui

Postby ScottRiqui » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:31 am

ajax adonis wrote:Question: Did most married couples have the discretion of having only the JAG-spouse work? I heard that some non-JAG spouses felt compelled to work because the JAG's salary was not enough. Did you often see this happen?

Military officers are compensated pretty well, and at least for the first four years or so, it's going to seem like you can't turn around without getting a substantial raise of one sort or another. As for whether or not your spouse will need to work, that depends on a lot of external factors - how much debt do you have, whether you have children (and how many), and what the housing costs are where you're stationed.

Ramius

Postby Ramius » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:44 am

ScottRiqui wrote:
ajax adonis wrote:Question: Did most married couples have the discretion of having only the JAG-spouse work? I heard that some non-JAG spouses felt compelled to work because the JAG's salary was not enough. Did you often see this happen?

Military officers are compensated pretty well, and at least for the first four years or so, it's going to seem like you can't turn around without getting a substantial raise of one sort or another. As for whether or not your spouse will need to work, that depends on a lot of external factors - how much debt do you have, whether you have children (and how many), and what the housing costs are where you're stationed.

Also depends on what sort of lifestyle you expect out of it. A good portion of military spouses don't work or have highly portable careers since the military can have you moving very often.

mlittle5

Postby mlittle5 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:53 am

Regarding the Air Force Internship

FWIW I just received an email from USAJobs saying my application has been referred to the hiring manager. Not sure if this means anything aside from a clerical update, but thought I'd share for anyone else who's applying.

paul554

Postby paul554 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:39 pm

mbkc03 wrote:Do you have to rank in a certain percentile of your graduating class to get offered a commission with Army JAG? Can JAG's here throw out their law school GPA's please? Thanks.

I hear that the Navy and Air Force are competitive for grades, unless you can get the school option for either one where you are commissioned during law school.

As for the Army, I know about 5 JAG officers on both active duty and in the reserves. They each graduated from different schools and one will readily admit that he was below median at his school. He received a commission in JAG no problem, first try. Another guy was top 15% of his class and did ROTC, he got turned down by JAG commissioned as an infantry LT and then got picked up 2 years later for JAG.

You have to understand grades are important but not the end all be all for the Army, they really focus on that holistic approach. Also you can have the best resume, WE, grades and EVERYTHING but if you look overweight or out of shape then I can almost guarantee your not getting picked up. Even JAG officers have to pass a PT test and the Army isn't going to waste money to train someone just to have them fail their PT/Tape test. They DESIRE people who are willing to put in that 20 years.

paul554

Postby paul554 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:43 pm

Your staring pay as a 1LT will be around 68K, when you get CPT it will jump into the 70's. Realistically the military is no different then any other job in this regard, it depends on how well you manage your income. If you want a better idea of your pay, including BAH, go here --LinkRemoved--

Also, if your spouse does want to work try to focus on federal employment, they get a hiring preference when ever you move. Or you can always just go dual military, most branches have a married couples program that tries to get you assigned together. In the Army I've seen this work very well, though deployments always threw a wrench in everything.

erik_1717

Postby erik_1717 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:53 am

mlittle5 wrote:Regarding the Air Force Internship

FWIW I just received an email from USAJobs saying my application has been referred to the hiring manager. Not sure if this means anything aside from a clerical update, but thought I'd share for anyone else who's applying.

I received this email too and was not sure what it meant. I call the USAF JAG office to ask and the man I spoke with (mike?) told me that it really did not mean anything. I was hoping it was an early early acceptance but no luck haha

Esquire

Postby Esquire » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:53 pm

mbkc03 wrote:Do you have to rank in a certain percentile of your graduating class to get offered a commission with Army JAG? Can JAG's here throw out their law school GPA's please? Thanks.

Tangentially related, the Army does not care where you went to law school. It's just a checkbox to them. That said, I went to a more premiere law school and I know I will have an easier time finding a post military job, if so desired. But right now, in the Army, it doesn't matter in the promotion, career sense.

Return to “Legal Employment”