Military Law

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Ty Webb

Re: Military Law

Postby Ty Webb » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:28 pm

Anyone heard anything on the Air Force front?

shepdawg

Postby shepdawg » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:59 pm

Didn't make it on army jag. Should I ask my interviewer how I could have improved.

Myself

Postby Myself » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:37 pm

Last edited by Myself on Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Myself

Postby Myself » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:59 pm

Ty Webb

Postby Ty Webb » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:18 pm

ajax adonis wrote:Because I want to make an informed decision and also so I can give my family hard stats before I apply, does anyone know what the death rate for JAG (all three divisions) is in combat?

0%.

Myself

Postby Myself » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:22 pm

Last edited by Myself on Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

Myself

Postby Myself » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:26 pm

Ty Webb

Postby Ty Webb » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:07 am

ajax adonis wrote:
Ty Webb wrote:Anyone heard anything on the Air Force front?

Patrick Bateman wrote:AF DAP results are up.

With the holidays, SJAs may not be in the office, so do not freak out if you don't get a phone call immediately.

I'm aware of what Captain Bateman wrote. But his message makes clear that SJAs who are in the office will call their candidates. Which is why I asked if anyone here had gotten one of those calls.

NAOBERJU

Postby NAOBERJU » Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:43 am

At least 5 service members in the Army JAG Corps were killed around 2005. You are joining the military. While the numbers killed might be low, there are no guarantees, especially when you deploy. And expect to deploy.

jagapplicant2012

Postby jagapplicant2012 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:15 am

Last edited by jagapplicant2012 on Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

erik_1717

Postby erik_1717 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:25 pm

Hello all. I've been reading this thread for awhile now and figured I'd should share what little experience I have so far. I'm a 2L who just began this process at the beginning of the school year. I have finally finished my application for Marine JAG and applied to the Army 2L Summer Internship (selected as an alternate!). I am now looking to apply for the Air Force Summer Internship. Is anyone else applying for this?

Personally, I had always figured if I chose the military route I would choose the Marine Corps, but after realizing that some branches offer decently large loan repayments, I was really forced to rethink my decision and plan to try and apply to all of the branches. I see some people are in their fourth or fifth application series and it made me wonder if you applied for both the internship and for actual JAG in your second year?

Finally, congrats to all those selected.

Patrick Bateman

Postby Patrick Bateman » Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:14 pm

jagapplicant2012 wrote:
ajax adonis wrote:
Ty Webb wrote:
ajax adonis wrote:Because I want to make an informed decision and also so I can give my family hard stats before I apply, does anyone know what the death rate for JAG (all three divisions) is in combat?

0%.

I assume you have a good source?

Pretty sure it's not zero. I was recently reading the book "Drowning in the Desert: A JAG's Search for Justice in Iraq" and, if I remember correctly, there is a section where several JAG staff members were unfortunately killed in a helicopter accident. I am not sure if they were commissioned officers or other personnel, but they were AD Army. I agree with NAOBERJU:

NAOBERJU wrote:You are joining the military. While the numbers killed might be low, there are no guarantees, especially when you deploy. And expect to deploy.

The Army JAGC lost a CW5 and SGM in a UH-60 crash in Iraq - pretty sure it was in 2003.

The term "combat" is a bit loaded. I've only had one JAG friend in a legit firefight. He was working with an Army unit that was ambushed while traveling in the Stan. The vast majority of us are Fobbits when deployed - there is always the risk of indirect fire while on a FOB however. Some JAG jobs require frequent travel which always increase the possibility of something happening but it is usually more the IED/VBIED attack than the traditional blue-on-red TIC.

Myself

Postby Myself » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:15 pm

Esquire

Postby Esquire » Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:07 pm

In the Army JAG school, there's a hall of heroes. Basically, JA branch soldiers, both officers and enlisted, who were KIA. There's only about 6 total. And if you search JAGCNET, there's a history section. It lists the JAs KIA.

NAOBERJU wrote:At least 5 service members in the Army JAG Corps were killed around 2005. You are joining the military. While the numbers killed might be low, there are no guarantees, especially when you deploy. And expect to deploy.

I wouldn't expect to deploy anytime soon, if you don't want to.

Myself

Postby Myself » Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:46 pm

BetterCallSaul!

Postby BetterCallSaul! » Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:04 pm

Captain Bateman,

I know you're privy to the selection list, and I'm not asking you to confirm/deny my selection. But I'm curious as to how many were selected -- can you estimate from the list how many were selected? 50, 75, 100, etc.?

Patrick Bateman

Postby Patrick Bateman » Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:14 pm

BetterCallSaul! wrote:Captain Bateman,

I know you're privy to the selection list, and I'm not asking you to confirm/deny my selection. But I'm curious as to how many were selected -- can you estimate from the list how many were selected? 50, 75, 100, etc.?

That information is really the province of JAX - I don't want to become an end run around them. I'll tell you that the selection list looked consistent with the previous ones. If you want specifics, ping JAX on the phone or their FB page.

Also, really no need for the rank or sir stuff. I'm in no official capacity with this board.

BetterCallSaul!

Postby BetterCallSaul! » Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:29 pm

Patrick Bateman wrote:
BetterCallSaul! wrote:Captain Bateman,

That information is really the province of JAX - I don't want to become an end run around them. I'll tell you that the selection list looked consistent with the previous ones. If you want specifics, ping JAX on the phone or their FB page.

Also, really no need for the rank or sir stuff. I'm in no official capacity with this board.

Understandable. Thanks, anyway.

Ty Webb wrote:Anyone heard anything on the Air Force front?

Looks like there were two (2) on AirForceOTS.com that received a call on Friday. Surprised more haven't come forward as of yet. I imagine we'll receive the denial letters Wed or Thurs.

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:41 pm

NAOBERJU wrote:At least 5 service members in the Army JAG Corps were killed around 2005. You are joining the military. While the numbers killed might be low, there are no guarantees, especially when you deploy. And expect to deploy.

This was the number when I left the Army JAG (paralegal then legal administrator) a few years ago. Also while you can expect to deploy, I think officers have it way easier than enlisted. As a person who has been on both sides (and deployed as both) the officers, esp. lawyers deploy less frequently and do shorter tours on average. On my last 15 month deployment about half of the lawyers didn't stay for the entire deployment. While the only one paralegal left, and that was because she became pregnant.

target

Postby target » Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:45 pm

Report in: I was not professionally recommended for Navy JAG a few days ago. This was my first time ever apply to JAG, so it's totally expected. Congrats to all the selectees!

CouchAJ

Postby CouchAJ » Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:53 pm

I got professionally recommended for Navy JAG. Congrats to all the other selectees and good luck with the next board for those that plan to continue applying!

target

Postby target » Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:13 pm

CouchAJ wrote:I got professionally recommended for Navy JAG. Congrats to all the other selectees and good luck with the next board for those that plan to continue applying!

Congrats!

A question for everyone who got picked up when re-apply: did you do anything differently? New PS or LOR? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:11 pm

Do all of those rejected for AF DAP receive a letter or do some receive a phone call?

Esquire wrote:

In the Army JAG school, there's a hall of heroes. Basically, JA branch soldiers, both officers and enlisted, who were KIA. There's only about 6 total. And if you search JAGCNET, there's a history section. It lists the JAs KIA.

I wouldn't expect to deploy anytime soon, if you don't want to.

Why not?

Esquire

Postby Esquire » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:34 pm

Because that's just the way things are going. Deployments are harder to come by. For those of you that want to hide from a major part of being a soldier, you should feel safe for at least a year or two.

Also, FYI, I noticed people selected for AD that initially got in through the reserves. So it looks like that backdoor is open again.

Myself

Postby Myself » Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:41 pm

Return to “Legal Employment”