Military Law Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
KWC2VL

New

Re: Military Law

Post by KWC2VL » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:23 pm

I think you might have. His/Her previous posts were from Summer 2010, when he was apparently choosing a school. Presumably, that makes him a 3L and DA candidate, not FLEP. But I second Neverow's advice, as difficult as it is to wait. Good luck everyone.
justwandering wrote: also everyone - if this helps ease our anxiety, it appears the only guy who posted that he got an affirmative phone call, Midwest Bound, appears to be entering law school.. he's applying still.. look at his other posts...
I'm happy if he got into the FLEP program but that is not the same as what we're looking at.
correct me if i am wrong... maybe i misread his posts?

justwandering

New

Post by justwandering » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:28 pm

KWC2VL wrote:I think you might have. His/Her previous posts were from Summer 2010, when he was apparently choosing a school. Presumably, that makes him a 3L and DA candidate, not FLEP. But I second Neverow's advice, as difficult as it is to wait. Good luck everyone.
justwandering wrote: also everyone - if this helps ease our anxiety, it appears the only guy who posted that he got an affirmative phone call, Midwest Bound, appears to be entering law school.. he's applying still.. look at his other posts...
I'm happy if he got into the FLEP program but that is not the same as what we're looking at.
correct me if i am wrong... maybe i misread his posts?
oha, hahaha, i didnt even look at the dates. oops!

Midwest Bound

New

Post by Midwest Bound » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:29 pm

Sorry for not responding to questions sooner.

I am a 3L AD candidate, so sorry for the confusion. Also, I don't go to KU.

My FSO works where the board made their decision, so he had advanced notice. I think it is good advice to wait until the list is posted to determine whether or not a person was selected. I just wanted to give people a head's up that the list should be going up tomorrow... at least that is what my FSO said.

Best of luck to all.

justwandering

New

Post by justwandering » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:31 pm

Midwest Bound wrote:Sorry for not responding to questions sooner.

I am a 3L AD candidate, so sorry for the confusion. Also, I don't go to KU.

My FSO works where the board made their decision, so he had advanced notice. I think it is good advice to wait until the list is posted to determine whether or not a person was selected. I just wanted to give people a head's up that the list should be going up tomorrow... at least that is what my FSO said.

Best of luck to all.
ok thanks for the head's up
that is EARLY!! wow... i'm a little nervous now...

Myself

Silver

Post by Myself » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:54 pm

Last edited by Myself on Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Groundie

New

Post by Groundie » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:06 pm

Not JAG, but I imagine you'd be apart from your family for the Ft. Lee Phase of JAOBC and then 6-12 months per deployment, plus any unaccompanied hardship tours.

LSATfromNC

Silver

Post by LSATfromNC » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:11 pm

ajax adonis wrote:I had a question for those who are/were in Army JAG or who know someone who was personally. How often and for how long (on average, I know it varies for each person) were you away from your spouse and family? Any other info related to that would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Congrats to all who got into Army JAG!
I was active duty, but not JAG, so take it with a grain of salt as far as a JAG's typical time away. A deployment? Typically 12-18 months, unless you've got something odd going on like you're in a SF unit. Back in the states? It depends on the type of unit you are in. If you are in a garrison type unit your job is to focus on keeping the base running (not very many typically), then it is similar to a 9-5 job, only with with an hour of physical training in the morning. In a garrison unit, you might go on temporary duty for a couple days or even a few months. In a field unit, you go live in the woods and train quite a bit. The field unit's also tend to deploy the most, but they also sometimes cherry pick a person out of a strategic unit to deploy. Basically, it depends, which you've already figured out.

Ty Webb

Silver

Post by Ty Webb » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:35 pm

Buddy of mine got a "bad news" call from his FSO. I have not heard from mine. So add that one to the list.

Edit: AD.

Wolverhoo

New

Post by Wolverhoo » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:01 pm

Ty Webb wrote:Buddy of mine got a "bad news" call from his FSO. I have not heard from mine. So add that one to the list.

Edit: AD.

Do you know if he received his call within the last couple of hours or if it was earlier in the day?

EDIT: Thank you for posting, by the way!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

NAOBERJU

New

Post by NAOBERJU » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:10 pm

Received the call from my FSO at 1:30. I was last on his list of selects. He had four acceptances. Best of luck to everyone! BTW, there were 778 applications and 100 selects this cycle.

Myself

Silver

Post by Myself » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:23 pm

Last edited by Myself on Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

LSATfromNC

Silver

Post by LSATfromNC » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:27 pm

NAOBERJU wrote:Received the call from my FSO at 1:30. I was last on his list of selects. He had four acceptances. Best of luck to everyone! BTW, there were 778 applications and 100 selects this cycle.
So you were selected for Navy and Army! Damn. Which you gonna choose?

Groundie

New

Post by Groundie » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:39 pm

NAOBERJU wrote:Received the call from my FSO at 1:30. I was last on his list of selects. He had four acceptances. Best of luck to everyone! BTW, there were 778 applications and 100 selects this cycle.
12.85% is a bit higher than previous years, yup.

No call for me, and it's COB everywhere except Hawaii, so there you go.

I guess the list will be up tomorrow?

Also, any word on alternates and/or qualifying for the Reserves?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

travellingboarder

New

Post by travellingboarder » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:26 pm

Got a call from my FSO (Army) at around 10:00 am in CA. 0/1 for Army for me.
My good buddy from my school got in. We're both 3Ls.
He did the Army internship. I chose to go abroad for my summers to study International stuff...
My resume looked better as a "Whole person", his had an internship and better grades.
My FSO said he'd recommend me and that I was his top choice, yet I didn't get in.
Hope this helps...

LSATfromNC

Silver

Post by LSATfromNC » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:38 pm

travellingboarder wrote:Got a call from my FSO (Army) at around 10:00 am in CA. 0/1 for Army for me.
He did the Army internship. I chose to go abroad for my summers to study International stuff...
My resume looked better as a "Whole person", his had an internship and better grades.
My FSO said he'd recommend me and that I was his top choice, yet I didn't get in.
Hope this helps...
Sucks dude. Don't worry, you aren't alone, a bunch of us are about to join you in sucks-ville come tomorrow.

Ty Webb

Silver

Post by Ty Webb » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:52 pm

FWIW, my buddy who got the "no" was a 2L summer intern for the Army. No idea on grades, but he transferred from a very low ranked school to a T2. Overall, he fits the mold of everything you might want in an Army JAG other than grades/scores (I have no idea what his grades are, so I can't speak to that).

Interesting process. My FSO was frankly kind of slack through the whole process. I'm not surprised to have not heard from him.

travellingboarder

New

Post by travellingboarder » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:23 pm

LSATfromNC wrote:
travellingboarder wrote:Got a call from my FSO (Army) at around 10:00 am in CA. 0/1 for Army for me.
Hope this helps...
Sucks dude. Don't worry, you aren't alone, a bunch of us are about to join you in sucks-ville come tomorrow.
Thanks dude. It feels like I got kicked in the stomach...better luck to the rest of you

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

KWC2VL

New

Post by KWC2VL » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:48 pm

I would be beyond curious to know if anyone with my FSO got calls today but of course don't want to out him. Let me say, I couldn't have asked for a better FSO - he has repeatedly gone out of his way to help me and answer any and all questions regardless of their importance/stupidity. That said, he told me a couple of times within the past two weeks or so (without my solicitation) that he'd call me the day before the list dropped with good news OR bad. (And he guessed recently that it might be today/tomorrow based on intern results). Waited around today, no word, decided I'd call at 3:00, called and left a message, and still haven't heard from him, despite the fact that he's called me as late as 8 or so before to answer a question I'd emailed earlier in the day.

Granted, there could be any number of reasons he didn't call (JAs have important work to do after all) - but I'm sort of at a loss at this point. It was an incredibly unproductive and stressful day. Still, I'm thankful to at least have some reason to hold out hope and check out the list tomorrow.

I apologize in advance if this post seems ungracious or in bad taste, but I just thought I'd add my experience today to the record. Hopefully there will be at least a few of us who hoped to hear something today but are nevertheless on that list tomorrow.

Good luck to all still waiting and a sincere congrats to those selected.

LSATfromNC

Silver

Post by LSATfromNC » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:57 am

KWC2VL wrote:I would be beyond curious to know if anyone with my FSO got calls today but of course don't want to out him. Let me say, I couldn't have asked for a better FSO - he has repeatedly gone out of his way to help me and answer any and all questions regardless of their importance/stupidity. That said, he told me a couple of times within the past two weeks or so (without my solicitation) that he'd call me the day before the list dropped with good news OR bad. (And he guessed recently that it might be today/tomorrow based on intern results). Waited around today, no word, decided I'd call at 3:00, called and left a message, and still haven't heard from him, despite the fact that he's called me as late as 8 or so before to answer a question I'd emailed earlier in the day.

Granted, there could be any number of reasons he didn't call (JAs have important work to do after all) - but I'm sort of at a loss at this point. It was an incredibly unproductive and stressful day. Still, I'm thankful to at least have some reason to hold out hope and check out the list tomorrow.

I apologize in advance if this post seems ungracious or in bad taste, but I just thought I'd add my experience today to the record. Hopefully there will be at least a few of us who hoped to hear something today but are nevertheless on that list tomorrow.

Good luck to all still waiting and a sincere congrats to those selected.
He might be on holiday hours. During Christmas time through New Years, the Army typically goes to either half days (off at lunch) or off every other day depending on the local unit. Then they typically get 4 or 3 day weekends for Christmas and New Years. So, he might just be out having fun.

shepdawg

Bronze

Post by shepdawg » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:31 am

So it looks like Army AD results are going to be posted the 22nd. Any news on Air Force AD?

k-bomberman

New

Post by k-bomberman » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:35 am

Any other news? List not up yet, seems no more reports of calls (which strike me as not SOP, but something that a few FSOs do?).

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

justwandering

New

Post by justwandering » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:37 am

k-bomberman wrote:Any other news? List not up yet, seems no more reports of calls (which strike me as not SOP, but something that a few FSOs do?).
What does SOP mean?

Am i the only one who had like NO interaction with my FSO after my interview? (aside from a thank you, etc).
I mean I didn't have any questions for him. I see no reason why you WOULD be in touch...

k-bomberman

New

Post by k-bomberman » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:43 am

Standard Operating Procedure.

And no, I had essentially no interaction afterward. I'm a practicing attorney, though, maybe it's different with law students.

thekc7

New

Post by thekc7 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:10 am

k-bomberman wrote:Standard Operating Procedure.

And no, I had essentially no interaction afterward. I'm a practicing attorney, though, maybe it's different with law students.
Same here. I'm a practicing attorney and had no interaction with my FSO because I didn't have any questions.

Groundie

New

Post by Groundie » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:14 am

I didn't either and I'm a few months out of law school.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”