Military Law

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Scotusnerd

Re: Military Law

Postby Scotusnerd » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:59 pm

Got some solid numbers from the Army JAG from a reliable source. They said they had 850 applicants, and took approximately 90. Selection rate of 11%.

They also mentioned that numbers were down this cycle, and they had no idea why.

balzie94

Postby balzie94 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:30 pm

Those Army numbers are for last year, though, correct?

jagapplicant2012

Postby jagapplicant2012 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:31 pm

Last edited by jagapplicant2012 on Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thekc7

Postby thekc7 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:05 pm

jagapplicant2012 wrote:Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread! I applied Army (Nov. 1 (8) Board) and AF JAG (Dec. Board). My Army app. status still says "Under Completeness Review." This is making me incredibly nervous, particularly in light of this post:
Scotusnerd wrote:Got some solid numbers from the Army JAG from a reliable source. They said they had 850 applicants, and took approximately 90. Selection rate of 11%.

Is this what everyone's status says still or have some people gone to "Pending Board Decision." I know we don't hear until early Jan. Is that when the status will change to?

I also applied for the Nov 1 (8) Army JAG Board, and my status still says under completeness review. The JARO Facebook page says to expect that for a few weeks, because they need to do two quality control reviews of each application, and they received over 1000 applications.

Good luck to you! Hopefully we both make it.

jagapplicant2012

Postby jagapplicant2012 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:14 pm

Last edited by jagapplicant2012 on Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thekc7

Postby thekc7 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:50 pm

jagapplicant2012 wrote:
thekc7 wrote:I also applied for the Nov 1 (8) Army JAG Board, and my status still says under completeness review. The JARO Facebook page says to expect that for a few weeks, because they need to do two quality control reviews of each application, and they received over 1000 applications.

Thanks thekc7! Just breathed a huge sigh relief (well about the application status, but perhaps not the insanely competitve number of applications they received). Good luck to you too!

I am with you on that! I pretty much yo-yo back and forth between feeling like I have a really good shot (my interview went well, I have good grades, volunteer and leadership activities, etc), but on the other hand: 1000+ applicants!

I keep telling my wife that I wish it didn't take so long for them to make a decision, even though I understand why it does...

Scotusnerd

Postby Scotusnerd » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:27 pm

balzie94 wrote:Those Army numbers are for last year, though, correct?

Yeah, those are last year's. Sorry for not clarifying.

bruinwang

Postby bruinwang » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:35 pm

thekc7 wrote:
jagapplicant2012 wrote:Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread! I applied Army (Nov. 1 (8) Board) and AF JAG (Dec. Board). My Army app. status still says "Under Completeness Review." This is making me incredibly nervous, particularly in light of this post:
Scotusnerd wrote:Got some solid numbers from the Army JAG from a reliable source. They said they had 850 applicants, and took approximately 90. Selection rate of 11%.

Is this what everyone's status says still or have some people gone to "Pending Board Decision." I know we don't hear until early Jan. Is that when the status will change to?

I also applied for the Nov 1 (8) Army JAG Board, and my status still says under completeness review. The JARO Facebook page says to expect that for a few weeks, because they need to do two quality control reviews of each application, and they received over 1000 applications.

My status changed to "Pending Board Decision" a few days ago, but I applied for the 2L summer internship, if that makes a difference. Maybe a different board or internal process?

bouakedojo

Postby bouakedojo » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:50 pm

bruinwang wrote:My status changed to "Pending Board Decision" a few days ago, but I applied for the 2L summer internship, if that makes a difference. Maybe a different board or internal process?

Same here.

adonai

Postby adonai » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:24 pm

Got a 3 hour interview coming up for AF OYCP. What could possibly be asked that could take 3 hours? I'd imagine the AF DAP interviews are much shorter. Is it cause OYCP is such a small program that they need 3 hours in order to differentiate all the candidates?

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:51 pm

I know that this has been addressed somewhat throughout the thread, but now that some people are getting deeper into their time as JAGs I thought it would be worth asking again. What are people hearing about the difficulty of transitioning from JAG into civilian legal careers? How hard is it to make the switch? For federal government jobs is it basically automatic?

Patrick Bateman

Postby Patrick Bateman » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:01 pm

adonai wrote:Got a 3 hour interview coming up for AF OYCP. What could possibly be asked that could take 3 hours? I'd imagine the AF DAP interviews are much shorter. Is it cause OYCP is such a small program that they need 3 hours in order to differentiate all the candidates?

You will watch A Few Good Men with the SJA and have to point out every inaccuracy as it relates to the military at large and the military justice process. If you miss even one detail, you are finished.

From my experience, there is no real difference between the DAP, OYCP, and GLP interviews. It is all getting at largely the same information. Every SJA has their own style, so it is impossible to say if three hours is typical or atypical for that SJA. I would imagine at least a part of that block of time will be the "soft" interviews and meetings with the DSJA. Captain types, and/or the paralegals. A lot of SJAs will have some of the Captains go out to lunch with you or show you around base as well.

adonai

Postby adonai » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:00 am

Patrick Bateman wrote:
adonai wrote:Got a 3 hour interview coming up for AF OYCP. What could possibly be asked that could take 3 hours? I'd imagine the AF DAP interviews are much shorter. Is it cause OYCP is such a small program that they need 3 hours in order to differentiate all the candidates?

You will watch A Few Good Men with the SJA and have to point out every inaccuracy as it relates to the military at large and the military justice process. If you miss even one detail, you are finished.

From my experience, there is no real difference between the DAP, OYCP, and GLP interviews. It is all getting at largely the same information. Every SJA has their own style, so it is impossible to say if three hours is typical or atypical for that SJA. I would imagine at least a part of that block of time will be the "soft" interviews and meetings with the DSJA. Captain types, and/or the paralegals. A lot of SJAs will have some of the Captains go out to lunch with you or show you around base as well.

Thanks for the information. I'd think what you said would be the case in a typical interview on a regular base, but this SJA is actually probably the only JAG on the base (it's a reserve base) so I wouldn't know what would take three hours with one person.

ShockTop

Postby ShockTop » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:05 pm

Not sure if this is the deal for anybody else but the application status website for the Navy is not loading for me. The home page where it lists the app status has some error message however I can view the rest of the site and my application. Not sure if this means they're updating stuff or if my computer is just throwing up.

Brook2013

Postby Brook2013 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:22 pm

ShockTop

I Just logged on to check. Same thing happened to me. It's a bit too early for any decisions and would they be updating on a Sunday? It is probably just a glitch.

Fiction

Postby Fiction » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:07 am

edit
Last edited by Fiction on Wed May 14, 2014 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ty Webb

Postby Ty Webb » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:20 am

First time posting in this thread after a lot of reading.

I applied for the the current AF and Army boards. Very different interviews from these two branches.

A word of advice - if at all possible, try to interview at a smaller base. This can make the process so much easier. My Army interview was at a massive base, and it took more than an hour to get a pass onto the base. It was also a much more impersonal process. My Air Force interview was at a smaller base, and I got my pass to drive in 45 seconds. The legal office was more intimate and the interview felt more personal.

Also this may have something to do with the difference between these two services (more documents were required to get a pass to get on the Army base, and they searched my car, while the AF base had no such process).

Overall felt more comfortable with my AF interview, but that was probably because they invited me to lunch. Spent around an hour talking with the Colonel there, and found her to be the keenest person I have ever interviewed with (either civilian or military).

Good luck to all of you guys.

shepdawg

Postby shepdawg » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:29 am

My Army active duty application is still under completeness review.

balzie94

Postby balzie94 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:16 pm

ShockTop wrote:Not sure if this is the deal for anybody else but the application status website for the Navy is not loading for me. The home page where it lists the app status has some error message however I can view the rest of the site and my application. Not sure if this means they're updating stuff or if my computer is just throwing up.

They are probably printing all the applications. This happened last year, and not long after the page became harder to access, the results were posted. Maybe a week or so after. Sounds dumb, but it happened last year.

Esquire

Postby Esquire » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:34 pm

BetterCallSaul! wrote:How does the judge advocate setup work at joint bases? For example, is there a lot of interaction between the Army and Air Force JAs at a base like Lewis-McChord? Or do they have their own office and operate from within their respective purview?

I work on a joint base and your interaction is minimal--professionally speaking. You'll probably have social events together. I sometimes get calls from other branch JAGs asking about Army regulations since it's an Army base.

NavyJAG1 wrote:
Fiction wrote:Considering applying for the Army 2L internship. If I get selected for the Army internship, what are my chances at getting accepted to Active Duty?

It is like 90% who get accepted to the internship get taken on for active duty or is it more like one more nice resume line?

This is purely anecdotal and not based on first hand knowledge - I did the 1L Army Internship - the Major who interviewed me and ultimately forwarded the offer stated that many people do the 1L internship who have no desire to go on Active Duty. However, that may simply be because there is so little paid work available 1L. I would think that people who do the 2L internship ultimately plan on applying for a spot once they graduate. For the Navy, internship experience is valued - I have to believe it is similar for the Army.

You have a definite leg up over the people blindly applying for AD. In fact, it's the biggest resume booster out there. You're a defined quantity, even though your time is limited there.

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:46 pm

Does getting in earlier (i.e. say the Dec Board while you are still a 3L) make it easier to get your requested assignment locations for AF?

target

Postby target » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:52 pm

balzie94 wrote:
ShockTop wrote:Not sure if this is the deal for anybody else but the application status website for the Navy is not loading for me. The home page where it lists the app status has some error message however I can view the rest of the site and my application. Not sure if this means they're updating stuff or if my computer is just throwing up.

They are probably printing all the applications. This happened last year, and not long after the page became harder to access, the results were posted. Maybe a week or so after. Sounds dumb, but it happened last year.

I have "pending" under my status. Is that what everyone has?

howell

Postby howell » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:09 pm

BruceWayne wrote:Does getting in earlier (i.e. say the Dec Board while you are still a 3L) make it easier to get your requested assignment locations for AF?

I don't think so, no.

The biggest issue is that if you get in as a 3L, you aren't going to go through the process of receiving your base assignment until you pass the bar. Your bar results date would therefore be more important (if this is a factor at all). If you were already a practicing lawyer, then which board you get in on might have some effect (not necessarily positive or negative), but you still have to go through MEPS before getting your base assignment, which is a several week process at best, and the length of that time can vary greatly among individuals.

Perhaps others have more experience with this, but here's my take on base assignments. You will go through certain administrative processing (such as MEPS) before getting your assignment. At a certain time, you will be submitted for a base assignment. At that time, the accessions people will look at what's available and try to place you the best they can, looking at your preference sheet and other factors. If you happen to be coming in during a time when a base on your preference sheet is available, I imagine there would be very high odds you would get that. But going earlier or later isn't going to predictably help or hurt your chances since slots could be opening all the time; you just need to get lucky and have the timing match up.

This is based off of hearing the timing of when people received their assignments and what those assignments were. It seems that just being a day or two earlier than someone can very much change your outcome depending on what else is going on. But as far as I can tell, there's no way to know if you should try to push your timing earlier or later.

Patrick Bateman

Postby Patrick Bateman » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:27 pm

BruceWayne wrote:Does getting in earlier (i.e. say the Dec Board while you are still a 3L) make it easier to get your requested assignment locations for AF?

I see Howell beat me to the punch but I already typed this out, so I am just going to post it anyway.

They will not begin formally working your assignment until they get notice that you passed the bar. I’m sure they have an unofficial projection of where they want to place new accessions but nothing actually happens until they get substantiation from you that you passed. For me, I got the call for my original assignment a week after I called JAX with my bar results.

Howell is also spot on regarding the fluidity of the assignments process. As a first assignment JAG, you are the backfill for someone deploying, a first assignment leaving for their second assignment, a second assignment leaving for their third, etc. Your assignment does not occur in a vacuum; it is directly impacted by all these other variables. A short notice deployment or the decision of a second assignment captain to separate rather than take another assignment can shift everything.

Trying to game the assignments process is a Sisyphean task at best. It will drive you crazy and it is best to just go with the flow and hope for the best. Sometimes you get the fuzzy end of the lollypop in regard to your assignment, sometimes you catch a break.

Keep in mind that you really won’t know the quality of your assignment until you get there. Ideal geographic locations can be nightmares in other ways. Austere locations can have great offices and offer great opportunities. My second assignment proved to be a difficult one and was at lousy location – that said, it set me up beautifully from a career perspective. My follow on was my first choice and I got another great assignment last week. Same goes for my closest friend at this base – he had two very long years here for his first assignment but landed his number one for his second assignment. As you will no doubt here countless times, assignments are what you make of them.

Jagjen82

Postby Jagjen82 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:45 pm

shir9650 wrote:Out of curiosity, what are the available duty stations for the 190th JAOBC?

Sorry for the delay in responding.

Available assignments for the 190th included: Alsaska, Benning, Bliss, Bragg, Campbell, Drum, Gordon, Hood, Huachuca, Irwin, Jackson, Knox, Korea, Leavenworth, Leonard Wood, Polk, Riley, Rucker, Sam Houston, Sill, West Point, and the Big 6 - Europe, Carson, Hawaii, Lewis, Virginia and DC.

For those that don't know, you may list 8 preferences. You may only pick one of the Big 6. Be prepared to be strategic and open minded in making your selections.

Timeline wise - we got the list Saturday, November 10th - sheet was due today (November 19th), and calls begin November 26th to discuss your assignment. The calls go out in alphabetical order.

Any other questions on the process as you wait to attend JAOBC, feel free to message me.

And if you are in the 190th, PM me - we have a facebook group started to connect as we all prepare for February.

Return to “Legal Employment”