Military Law

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
BetterCallSaul!

Re: Military Law

Postby BetterCallSaul! » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:41 pm

AnnaP331 wrote:
AnnaP331 wrote:My husband was selected for the Navy SP in May and now he is having a problem with MEPS. In college he fractured his skull and more recently he had vision correction surgey. MEPS asked him for his medical records and he sent them everything the hospital had and filled out the forms they requested. Even after recieving the records, they are still refusing to give him a MEPS appointment due to insufficient records. Now his recruiter is telling him that we have to front the money for a private physical.

What is crazy about this whole thing is that he was previously in the Army and they were aware of his fractured skull and approved his vision surgery. How is it that he is qualified to deploy with the Army for 15 months, attend ranger school, airborne school, etc and not potentially be medically qualified to be a lawyer in the Navy?

Is it common for people to have to get private physicals? Is this a bad sign?

Any thoughts on the issue above? We really appreciate you input!

Hi Anna,

I am not a judge advocate and have been denied four times thus far. However, and I mean this with the utmost respect, but if all that stands in the way is a private physical then front the money and get a physical. I would.

I don't think it's a bad sign.

AnnaP331

Postby AnnaP331 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:44 pm

BetterCallSaul! wrote:
AnnaP331 wrote:
AnnaP331 wrote:My husband was selected for the Navy SP in May and now he is having a problem with MEPS. In college he fractured his skull and more recently he had vision correction surgey. MEPS asked him for his medical records and he sent them everything the hospital had and filled out the forms they requested. Even after recieving the records, they are still refusing to give him a MEPS appointment due to insufficient records. Now his recruiter is telling him that we have to front the money for a private physical.

What is crazy about this whole thing is that he was previously in the Army and they were aware of his fractured skull and approved his vision surgery. How is it that he is qualified to deploy with the Army for 15 months, attend ranger school, airborne school, etc and not potentially be medically qualified to be a lawyer in the Navy?

Is it common for people to have to get private physicals? Is this a bad sign?

Any thoughts on the issue above? We really appreciate you input!

Hi Anna,

I am not a judge advocate and have been denied four times thus far. However, and I mean this with the utmost respect, but if all that stands in the way is a private physical then front the money and get a physical. I would.

I don't think it's a bad sign.

I agree and we absolutely will pay the money, I'm just more concerned that this might mean he might be medically disqualified. We are having trouble getting a straight answer on this and just wanted to see if anyone else had a similar experience.
Thanks!

xerxes

Postby xerxes » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:11 pm

Anna - We've obviously spoken on PM, but I'd just reiterate: as someone who has gotten a physical from a private doctor and then passed through MEPS, I don't see a downside to your doing it; if this is what you guys want, then push for it! I know reassurance to know either way would be helpful, but the sense I get is that no one really knows. If you send me a PM, I can give you the email of a former Army doc who has been helpful to me, but the reality is it really depends on the specifics that no one here is qualified (I imagine) to evaluate.

leedleed

Postby leedleed » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:05 am

xerxes wrote:Also - has anyone gone to Navy ODS lately?

I am interested in any tips/advice re: ODS as well. Thanks!

legalsport

Postby legalsport » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:48 pm

Applied for Oct 12 deadline, 2012.
3L, first attempt. No prior military.
Felt interview went great (officers asked about other parts of application, impression i got was that they didnt want me thrown out on a technicallity should they score me high on the interview and move my application along)

Any idea when we should expect to hear back re: professional recommendations? Do they stick to the 8-week timeline?

blong4133

Postby blong4133 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:41 pm

legalsport wrote:Applied for Oct 12 deadline, 2012.
Felt interview went great (officers asked about other parts of application, impression i got was that they didnt want me thrown out on a technicallity should they score me high on the interview and move my application along)

Any idea when we should expect to hear back re: professional recommendations? Do they stick to the 8-week timeline?

If you don't mind me asking, where did you interview???

I've got an interview at Wright Patterson on the 20th of this month. Just had my application package overnighted today.

I'm really hoping to get in but I doubt it will happen. I've got moot court/moot court board/Ap. Ad. TA on my resume and 4 really good LOR's but I'm in the middle of the class... :(

Kobe_Teeth

Postby Kobe_Teeth » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:17 pm

blong4133 wrote:

I've got an interview at Wright Patterson on the 20th of this month. Just had my application package overnighted today.

I'm really hoping to get in but I doubt it will happen. I've got moot court/moot court board/Ap. Ad. TA on my resume and 4 really good LOR's but I'm in the middle of the class... :(

For what board are you applying? The Spring board already?

howell

Postby howell » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:23 pm

Looks like legalsport is applying to the Navy, and blong4133 is applying to the Air Force. In case there's some confusion.

legalsport

Postby legalsport » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:30 pm

yea, sorry about the confusion. applied for Navy. not AF

blong4133

Postby blong4133 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:21 pm

Kobe_Teeth wrote:
blong4133 wrote:

For what board are you applying? The Spring board already?

No, it's for the December board (Air Force). I called a couple of months ago and the paralegal called me a couple of weeks ago to schedule the interview. Told me that I had to have my application submitted and in their hands at least 1 week prior to the interview.

I've been pushing it to about as late as I could because school has been doing a number on me the past month and half.

And sorry for not catching that you were applying for the Navy, legalsport. I didn't catch that :oops: .

xerxes

Postby xerxes » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:38 pm

As far as Navy timetable, I would just call accessions if it gets close and they aren't up. The folks there were great about updating timetable for me.

CouchAJ

Postby CouchAJ » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:17 pm

Hey guys. I'm a 2L part-time student and active duty Marine with 18+ years of service. I just applied for the Navy SP and my interview was amazing; particularly because I interned over the summer with the same Capt that I interviewed with.
My concerns are my school and GPA. I'm stationed in Hawaii, so I didn't have a choice of schools. This is the only one for 2500 miles! Right now, Hawaii is a low tier 1 school.
My GPA when I submitted my application was 3.25, but after the deadline I had some grades come in that bumped it up to 3.43.
I keep hearing that the fact that I'm active duty will help, but it still doesn't make me feel any better. Does anyone have any clue of what the average law school GPA is of incoming Navy JAGs?
Thanks.

Ex Cearulo

Postby Ex Cearulo » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:34 pm

CouchAJ wrote:Hey guys. I'm a 2L part-time student and active duty Marine with 18+ years of service. I just applied for the Navy SP and my interview was amazing; particularly because I interned over the summer with the same Capt that I interviewed with.
My concerns are my school and GPA. I'm stationed in Hawaii, so I didn't have a choice of schools. This is the only one for 2500 miles! Right now, Hawaii is a low tier 1 school.
My GPA when I submitted my application was 3.25, but after the deadline I had some grades come in that bumped it up to 3.43.
I keep hearing that the fact that I'm active duty will help, but it still doesn't make me feel any better. Does anyone have any clue of what the average law school GPA is of incoming Navy JAGs?
Thanks.

You're Active Duty with 18+ yrs of service and the Navy lets you apply to a JAG program?! How many of those have you been an officer? I ask because the Air Force's limit is 10 years of total active federal commissioned service. I'm curious to know if it's the same for the Navy, perhaps due to federal statute, or if the Navy is just way more lenient with letting people pursue their JAG ambitions.

CouchAJ

Postby CouchAJ » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:18 am

HawgDriver wrote:
CouchAJ wrote:Hey guys. I'm a 2L part-time student and active duty Marine with 18+ years of service. I just applied for the Navy SP and my interview was amazing; particularly because I interned over the summer with the same Capt that I interviewed with.
Thanks.

You're Active Duty with 18+ yrs of service and the Navy lets you apply to a JAG program?! How many of those have you been an officer? I ask because the Air Force's limit is 10 years of total active federal commissioned service. I'm curious to know if it's the same for the Navy, perhaps due to federal statute, or if the Navy is just way more lenient with letting people pursue their JAG ambitions.

I'm enlisted, so I don't have any commissioned time.
From my understanding, the Air Force is the only branch that caps the prior service time for incoming officers. They (and the Marine Corps) also have lower maximum age limits for new officers.
One could look at the Navy's requirements as "way more lenient" or as making way more sense. If I had a 15 year MSgt in the AF that came in enlisted with no degree, managed his time wisely enough to earn not only a bachelors degree but also a J.D., all while maintaining operational readiness, I would think that he would be an excellent candidate for JAG. He already knows the service, policies and regulations...he's more than likely a proven leader, and has probably been training young officers for a while. Why stop a guy like that from becoming a JAG because he’s been in over 10 years?
Statutorily, the big limitation is the ability to retire before your 62nd birthday. I could do 40 years in the Navy/Marine Corps and still be under that bar.

Ex Cearulo

Postby Ex Cearulo » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:10 pm

CouchAJ wrote:
HawgDriver wrote:You're Active Duty with 18+ yrs of service and the Navy lets you apply to a JAG program?! How many of those have you been an officer? I ask because the Air Force's limit is 10 years of total active federal commissioned service. I'm curious to know if it's the same for the Navy, perhaps due to federal statute, or if the Navy is just way more lenient with letting people pursue their JAG ambitions.

From my understanding, the Air Force is the only branch that caps the prior service time for incoming officers. They (and the Marine Corps) also have lower maximum age limits for new officers.
One could look at the Navy's requirements as "way more lenient" or as making way more sense. If I had a 15 year MSgt in the AF that came in enlisted with no degree, managed his time wisely enough to earn not only a bachelors degree but also a J.D., all while maintaining operational readiness, I would think that he would be an excellent candidate for JAG. He already knows the service, policies and regulations...he's more than likely a proven leader, and has probably been training young officers for a while. Why stop a guy like that from becoming a JAG because he’s been in over 10 years?
Statutorily, the big limitation is the ability to retire before your 62nd birthday. I could do 40 years in the Navy/Marine Corps and still be under that bar.

You're preaching to the choir, brother. Although I think the way the Air Force does it means you have to have less than 10 years of total commissioned service time; so enlisted time wouldn't count against you, but the age thing could obviously still be a factor depending on the situation.

However, they also require you to be an O-3 with less than three years time-in-grade by the first day of law school. If I'm released from my career field (BIG if...don't get me started), I'm going to have to convince JAG to give me a waiver when I apply because I'll be 3 months (months!) over the limit. Does the Navy have a similar limitation?

On one hand, I understand it, because what are you going to do with a Major fresh out of law school who, after 3 yrs of law school, only has about 5-7 yrs left until he can retire? I could understand the argument of it not being worth it to the AF in the long run. But even then, someone applying under those circumstances will be required to apply to the program (Excess Leave Program) in which the Air Force pays zero law school tuition and zero salary except for 2 months in the summer! So it's not like they'd be paying hundreds of thousands of dollars out of pocket for someone to go to law school and then only serve for 4 yrs. The financial risk is almost zero and, in return, you get a highly motivated (why else would they give up almost 100% of their pay for 3 years?!) and highly experienced officer.

On the other hand, I don't see why they would handcuff themselves and why they couldn't approach it like the medical corps does. I have a personal friend who was a pilot, went to med school as a Major, but after he graduated he came out as a Capt and had to serve a certain amount of time as a Capt until he got promoted again. If someone is that dedicated to being a JAG and also brings a great deal of professional AF experience to the table, how does that not make the JAG Corps stronger? Why would you not even consider someone who has been a Capt for more than 3 years or even four years?

Obviously, I'm biased. And I'd love to hear someone else's opinion and get into a respectable debate about the merits of allowing older officers to apply to the JAG Corps. It's just extremely frustrating to me that after 6 years of service in a very demanding career field that the Air Force may not even consider the possibility of allowing me to continue to serve as a lawyer, which is what I'm passionate about doing.

:::steps off soap box:::

CouchAJ

Postby CouchAJ » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:28 pm

HawgDriver wrote:
CouchAJ wrote:
HawgDriver wrote:You're Active Duty with 18+ yrs of service and the Navy lets you apply to a JAG program?! How many of those have you been an officer? I ask because the Air Force's limit is 10 years of total active federal commissioned service. I'm curious to know if it's the same for the Navy, perhaps due to federal statute, or if the Navy is just way more lenient with letting people pursue their JAG ambitions.

You're preaching to the choir, brother. Although I think the way the Air Force does it means you have to have less than 10 years of total commissioned service time; so enlisted time wouldn't count against you, but the age thing could obviously still be a factor depending on the situation.

However, they also require you to be an O-3 with less than three years time-in-grade by the first day of law school. If I'm released from my career field (BIG if...don't get me started), I'm going to have to convince JAG to give me a waiver when I apply because I'll be 3 months (months!) over the limit. Does the Navy have a similar limitation?

On one hand, I understand it, because what are you going to do with a Major fresh out of law school who, after 3 yrs of law school, only has about 5-7 yrs left until he can retire? I could understand the argument of it not being worth it to the AF in the long run. But even then, someone applying under those circumstances will be required to apply to the program (Excess Leave Program) in which the Air Force pays zero law school tuition and zero salary except for 2 months in the summer! So it's not like they'd be paying hundreds of thousands of dollars out of pocket for someone to go to law school and then only serve for 4 yrs. The financial risk is almost zero and, in return, you get a highly motivated (why else would they give up almost 100% of their pay for 3 years?!) and highly experienced officer.

On the other hand, I don't see why they would handcuff themselves and why they couldn't approach it like the medical corps does. I have a personal friend who was a pilot, went to med school as a Major, but after he graduated he came out as a Capt and had to serve a certain amount of time as a Capt until he got promoted again. If someone is that dedicated to being a JAG and also brings a great deal of professional AF experience to the table, how does that not make the JAG Corps stronger? Why would you not even consider someone who has been a Capt for more than 3 years or even four years?

Obviously, I'm biased. And I'd love to hear someone else's opinion and get into a respectable debate about the merits of allowing older officers to apply to the JAG Corps. It's just extremely frustrating to me that after 6 years of service in a very demanding career field that the Air Force may not even consider the possibility of allowing me to continue to serve as a lawyer, which is what I'm passionate about doing.

:::steps off soap box:::

I don't know about the Navy's Excess Leave Program (or if they even have one), but in the Marine Corps, to qualify for the ELP-L, you have to be an O3 or below with a minimum of 2 but not more than 6 years total active duty (commissioned and enlisted combined). I don't think we have any TIG limitations.
However, if you are interested in the Navy's JAG program and you don't already have a degree, you can apply in your 2 or 3L year to the Student Program and execute an interservice transfer (DD Form 368) if accepted. Or, depending on how long your current commitment is, you could simply EAS from the Air Force and commission into the Navy after law school. You may have to start off in a part-time program somewhere (like me), but it’s not impossible. You would get constructive service credit for law school and your prior commission to start you out as an O3. May be a step down from where you could be after 3 years, but at least you would be in the JAG.

Groundie

Postby Groundie » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:41 am

Good luck to everyone who applied Army!

I'll probably be hurt by my lack of quality LORs, but I'm out of school and it gets more difficult.

hoogs23

Postby hoogs23 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:10 am

Hey guys, I am a senior in Undergrad and would like to become a JAG Officer. I know I am far off, but I am going to apply to all the internships and ROTC programs during law schools. I am currently in the process of choosing law schools, and I have an option of a part-time program. Would this hurt me for the ROTC programs or DAP? Or do they like to see this?
Thanks

LazinessPerSe

Postby LazinessPerSe » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:26 am

hoogs23 wrote:Hey guys, I am a senior in Undergrad and would like to become a JAG Officer. I know I am far off, but I am going to apply to all the internships and ROTC programs during law schools. I am currently in the process of choosing law schools, and I have an option of a part-time program. Would this hurt me for the ROTC programs or DAP? Or do they like to see this?
Thanks

Not to deter you from your dream if you're super committed, but just know that the selection rates right now for most branches are between 5-10% of applicants. I wouldn't bank on a job is all. On your question - do you have a part or full-time job keeping you from attending law school full-time? What are you looking to gain from going part-time? A part-time program theoretically does not hurt you for DAP since DAP requires a degree and bar passage. Not sure if it hurts you with the student programs.

hoogs23

Postby hoogs23 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:17 pm

LazinessPerSe wrote:
hoogs23 wrote:Hey guys, I am a senior in Undergrad and would like to become a JAG Officer. I know I am far off, but I am going to apply to all the internships and ROTC programs during law schools. I am currently in the process of choosing law schools, and I have an option of a part-time program. Would this hurt me for the ROTC programs or DAP? Or do they like to see this?
Thanks

Not to deter you from your dream if you're super committed, but just know that the selection rates right now for most branches are between 5-10% of applicants. I wouldn't bank on a job is all. On your question - do you have a part or full-time job keeping you from attending law school full-time? What are you looking to gain from going part-time? A part-time program theoretically does not hurt you for DAP since DAP requires a degree and bar passage. Not sure if it hurts you with the student programs.

Part-time at a T14 with a full-time job lined up, but not sure if I want to go that route; just looking for some advice right now. And, I do know about the job prospects, so I would be pursuing other jobs also so whichever would come first.

xerxes

Postby xerxes » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:23 pm

My thought would be go to the best school you can, and worry about ramifications later. I personally don't know how much GT's part time program compares in terms of the way it looks vs. regular degree, but I doubt it would hurt you; if anything, it shows you can multi-task, etc.

With that being said, I have no idea if there is any stigma to a part-time program that might hurt you. I don't know of any, but would be hard to say.

howell

Postby howell » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:24 am

I went part-time my first three years of law school and then full-time my last year, and it was never directly a problem in my interviews, nor was it mentioned as a problem in feedback from an SJA after the SJA received feedback from the selection board. Any problem or benefit from going part-time will be something indirect. Here are some areas I received feedback on from JAG officers in different branches both before and after my interviews:

- Leadership positions: JAG likes to see a history of leadership. If you're working full-time and going to school part-time, working in leadership roles on top of all of that can be difficult. On the other hand, if you directly manage people in your full-time job, then that is a positive. Having a history of leadership before law school is always good, but showing that you have the desire and capacity to lead in anything you do is also beneficial, so finding leadership roles while in law school is helpful.
- Actual legal experience: I had two different recruiting/interviewing officers (Army and Air Force) suggest that getting actual legal experience on my resume would be a plus. If you're working a full-time job, it's likely not in a capacity that counts for this, and working in internships can be pretty much impossible for some people working FT and going to school PT.
- Non-law service activities: I had secondary feedback from an SJA I interviewed with that showing interests outside of law while in law school would be helpful, specifically some kind of community service activity. As someone who worked 50+ hours a week during most of law school, maintained good grades, did law review & moot court, was an SBA representative, and volunteered with an organization that provided wills and other documents for first responders, this was kind of discouraging to hear.

There are other areas where you might face challenges or possibly some advantages. My GPA/rank was also evaluated as any other GPA/rank - no one cared whether I just went to school part-time and didn't have to work or if I worked 60 hours a week and still maintained a good GPA. Depending on your situation, this can be a positive or a negative for you.

Extracurricular activities in law school (law review, moot court, mock trial, etc.) are also viewed favorably by the selection board to different degrees. Working these in while working FT and going to school PT can be very difficult (although doable at most schools).

My take is that you will be evaluated like any other candidate, so the important thing is learning what JAG interviewers and selection boards are looking for and presenting that in your application package and interview no matter what obstacles you have to overcome to build your resume in such a fashion. Going PT can be a blessing or a curse in doing so.

hoogs23

Postby hoogs23 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:33 am

Yeah it is a tough choice, seems like a lot. Probably better to go the traditional route. Thanks for all the help

Jagjen82

Postby Jagjen82 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:17 pm

For anyone curious and interested in the timeline, those of us in the 190th JAOBC (Army) starting in February received our list of possible duty locations yesterday - about three months out from our start date.

howell

Postby howell » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:15 pm

Jagjen82 wrote:For anyone curious and interested in the timeline, those of us in the 190th JAOBC (Army) starting in February received our list of possible duty locations yesterday - about three months out from our start date.

Just curious, but how does that work? Is that just them narrowing it down, or do you have some ability to select your duty location?

Return to “Legal Employment”