Military Law

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
leedleed

Re: Military Law

Postby leedleed » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:58 pm

hoogs23 wrote:say you apply to JAG programs for each branch because you just want to be a JAG officer. Would the separate branches disapprove of that and you should just focus on one?

No, that's perfectly fine and everyone will understand that at the end of the day you need to get a job and make a living (and how the job market sucks right now). Just be ready to answer why you're interested in that certain branch over others, when you're at that particular interview.

I've applied to all and I ended up getting into one. Many, if not all, people do that. Maximize your chances.

hoogs23

Postby hoogs23 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:09 am

thanks for the answer. which branch are you going into?

bruinwang

Postby bruinwang » Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:07 pm

leedleed wrote:
hoogs23 wrote:say you apply to JAG programs for each branch because you just want to be a JAG officer. Would the separate branches disapprove of that and you should just focus on one?

No, that's perfectly fine and everyone will understand that at the end of the day you need to get a job and make a living (and how the job market sucks right now). Just be ready to answer why you're interested in that certain branch over others, when you're at that particular interview.

I've applied to all and I ended up getting into one. Many, if not all, people do that. Maximize your chances.

+1 to this. My interviewers took it as a given that I would be applying to the other services. It's really not that different from applying to firms and other types of jobs.

By the way, does anyone have a sense of how long it actually takes for Navy JAG Corps results to be posted? I know it says within 2 months on the website, but I'm hoping (perhaps foolishly) that it'll actually be quicker in practice. I do recall that my interviewer said something about Thanksgiving though, so maybe that's the best I can hope for...

leedleed

Postby leedleed » Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:02 am

hoogs23 wrote:thanks for the answer. which branch are you going into?

Navy!

bruinwang wrote:
leedleed wrote:

+1 to this. My interviewers took it as a given that I would be applying to the other services. It's really not that different from applying to firms and other types of jobs.

By the way, does anyone have a sense of how long it actually takes for Navy JAG Corps results to be posted? I know it says within 2 months on the website, but I'm hoping (perhaps foolishly) that it'll actually be quicker in practice. I do recall that my interviewer said something about Thanksgiving though, so maybe that's the best I can hope for...

For last year's spring board, they took the full 2 months for the results. GL!

armyjagiii

Postby armyjagiii » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:09 am

Anyone on here going to the Army JAG 190th JAOBC in Feb of 2013?

bruinwang

Postby bruinwang » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:01 pm

leedleed wrote:
hoogs23 wrote:thanks for the answer. which branch are you going into?

Navy!

bruinwang wrote:
leedleed wrote:

For last year's spring board, they took the full 2 months for the results. GL!

Thanks! Go Navy! :)

balzie94

Postby balzie94 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:07 pm

leedleed wrote:

Yeah, you probably want to have a good answer if and when this question is asked. I was only asked this question by one of the branches, and I am sure my answer was not great. That said, I don't think it killed my chances. Moreover, I think interviewers will call BS if you tell them, "But (insert interviewer's branch) is the one that I've been dreaming of." So be careful.

Kobe_Teeth

Postby Kobe_Teeth » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:14 pm

I didn't get a lot of these questions about what branch and why. My Navy interview consisted of the scenario questions and that was just about it. I had an opportunity to ask questions after that but it was made clear to me that that was not really part of my interview. Similarly, with the Air Force, I answered standard questions about my legal experience and that was pretty much it.

Both interviews asked about why I would be good for the job, but that's pretty standard for any interview.

Also, both interviewers made it sound like just getting the interview and not getting disqualified before that was difficult enough and if your grades and LSAT were up to par you certainly have a good shot. Were they being accomodating or what? I was really perplexed, because they made it sound like I had a lot better than the 4-8% shot. However, from reading this thread, I considered those comments with a fair amount of skepticism.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Jagjen82

Postby Jagjen82 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:22 pm

armyjagiii wrote:Anyone on here going to the Army JAG 190th JAOBC in Feb of 2013?

I'm in the 190th JAOBC. Look forward to meeting you - there's a group on FB to start connecting and planning. Shoot me a PM if you want to introduce yourself!

If anyone has questions as the deadline for applying to Army JAG approaches, I'm happy to try and help as a recent applicant that was accepted. Good luck to all of you!

ZeroDay

Postby ZeroDay » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:34 pm

Jagjen82 wrote:
armyjagiii wrote:Anyone on here going to the Army JAG 190th JAOBC in Feb of 2013?

I'm in the 190th JAOBC. Look forward to meeting you - there's a group on FB to start connecting and planning. Shoot me a PM if you want to introduce yourself!

If anyone has questions as the deadline for applying to Army JAG approaches, I'm happy to try and help as a recent applicant that was accepted. Good luck to all of you!

I'll be in the 191st JAOBC. I'm jealous of those of you who get to start relatively soon -- I feel like I've already been waiting forever!

Is your facebook group a public group? It'd be nice to track your progress and get a heads up on how JARO and the cadre are handling the various phases of training this year. So far info is sparse.

shir9650

Postby shir9650 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:30 pm

ZeroDay wrote:
Jagjen82 wrote:

I'll be in the 191st JAOBC. I'm jealous of those of you who get to start relatively soon -- I feel like I've already been waiting forever!

Is your facebook group a public group? It'd be nice to track your progress and get a heads up on how JARO and the cadre are handling the various phases of training this year. So far info is sparse.

To those in the upcoming Army JAG JAOBC classes, what is the correlation between bar result release dates and your JAOBC class assignment?

Jagjen82

Postby Jagjen82 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:02 pm

shir9650 wrote:
ZeroDay wrote:
Jagjen82 wrote:

To those in the upcoming Army JAG JAOBC classes, what is the correlation between bar result release dates and your JAOBC class assignment?

The FB group is public and I'd be happy to fill you in on my experiences or tips as we go along - the FB group is 190th Army JAOBC I believe. PM me if you have trouble finding it!

As far as dates, I had an internship the summer between 2L and 3L year. I applied in November of my 3L year and was selected in January. I received my bar results in August and was placed in the first class for the 2013 year - February 2013. You will likely have a gap between the bar and starting, so you will want to find a temporary job or something to fill your time. The quicker you are cleared medically and pass the bar, the sooner you will start!

ZeroDay

Postby ZeroDay » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:50 pm

shir9650 wrote:To those in the upcoming Army JAG JAOBC classes, what is the correlation between bar result release dates and your JAOBC class assignment?

As I mentioned above, I'm scheduled to attend the 191st JAOBC, which means I'll start my Army training in July 2013. I graduated law school in May 2012 and will get my bar results this Friday. I applied for the November 2011 board (aka the FY2012 board), was placed on the alternate list, and was selected from the alternate list in early June 2012. I already had medical clearance through the Marine Corps because I had considered going to USMC OCS during law school; updating my clearance for direct commission in the Army was as simple as sending in a one-page statement of my current medical condition. There are a few variables at play, so I'll leave it up to you to interpret the data. JARO says there is an Order of Merit List for JAOBC.

GoinforJAG

Postby GoinforJAG » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:41 am

Just wanted to thank everyone who has kept this thread alive for so long. I've read through the whole thing over a few months and it has been extremely helpful. I have been interested in the JAG Corps (Navy JAG, specifically) since before I started law school, and my application is all in for October. I'm a 2L, so I know that I have several more times that I can apply, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed. My biggest weakness right now is my law school GPA.

I am at a T14 (which- yay, everyone cares about except for JAG) and have a 3.09 GPA (mostly due to Torts), on a secondary journal, involved in leadership positions in several clubs, am in clinic and evidence etc.... My undergrad GPA was good and I had a 171 LSAT, but I'm afraid my law school GPA is going to kill me. Anyone in here know of a low GPA that was surmounted by the rest of the "whole person"? My interview went well and I think my statement and recs are good, but with a 5% selection rate it is really tough to get a sense of things.

bouakedojo

Postby bouakedojo » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:01 am

ZeroDay wrote:As I mentioned above, I'm scheduled to attend the 191st JAOBC, which means I'll start my Army training in July 2013. I graduated law school in May 2012 and will get my bar results this Friday. I applied for the November 2011 board (aka the FY2012 board), was placed on the alternate list, and was selected from the alternate list in early June 2012. I already had medical clearance through the Marine Corps because I had considered going to USMC OCS during law school; updating my clearance for direct commission in the Army was as simple as sending in a one-page statement of my current medical condition. There are a few variables at play, so I'll leave it up to you to interpret the data. JARO says there is an Order of Merit List for JAOBC.

Wow, that's quite a turnaround time. 13 months? Just curious, what are you doing while you wait?

I'm glad to hear about the Marine Corps medical clearance applying for your Army app, because I've received medical clearance from them as well. Hopefully, if any branch takes me, they'll allow me to do the same.

Esquire

Postby Esquire » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:23 pm

For the Army, generally speaking, if you're a fresh law school grad, the earliest you'll start is the first February after graduation.

Have fun at OBC. Don't be a lazy bum because people will hate you and they will notice and remember. You can be bad at things but if you're not a team player and always look to pass off work, your reputation is toast. I already run into former classmates and I'm less than a year out. Your reputation will follow you. For forever, I hear.

Buy all the uniform stuff in advance. Buy the whole damn sheet, except for the formal attire. I tried to skimp on buying things and it just ended up being a pain. I ended up buying the whole list eventually. It made things worse because after the long days at Fort Lee, you have to go shopping. That sucks big time. The first week or so at Fort Lee was also my worst experience in the Army so don't worry, it gets way better.

Oh and http://1800nametape.com

Fed_Atty

Postby Fed_Atty » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:18 pm

Kobe_Teeth wrote:I didn't get a lot of these questions about what branch and why. My Navy interview consisted of the scenario questions and that was just about it. I had an opportunity to ask questions after that but it was made clear to me that that was not really part of my interview. Similarly, with the Air Force, I answered standard questions about my legal experience and that was pretty much it.

Both interviews asked about why I would be good for the job, but that's pretty standard for any interview.

Also, both interviewers made it sound like just getting the interview and not getting disqualified before that was difficult enough and if your grades and LSAT were up to par you certainly have a good shot. Were they being accomodating or what? I was really perplexed, because they made it sound like I had a lot better than the 4-8% shot. However, from reading this thread, I considered those comments with a fair amount of skepticism.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

For the Navy, there is no weeding out pre-interview. We give interviews to everyone who applies, provided that you filled out your paperwork correctly, we will interview you. However, you may be onto something about having a better than 4-8% shot. The senior interviewer I regularly work with has sat on a few of the accessions boards. He stated that there are quite a few applications that are so poorly done or mostly incomplete that these people are weeded out almost immediately. Just completing your application correctly and carefully can give you a good jump.

Good Luck!

ZeroDay

Postby ZeroDay » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:41 pm

bouakedojo wrote:Wow, that's quite a turnaround time. 13 months? Just curious, what are you doing while you wait?

I'm working as an associate at a small firm. With the Army there is just no way to avoid the long gap between being selected and the start of training. My FSO and others told me that it could be a year or longer before I'd start on active duty, but I honestly wasn't expecting to have to wait this long...

The other thing they don't go out of their way to tell you during the application process is how much money new JAGC officers will have to pay out of pocket at the beginning of training -- it's a lot. You get reimbursed for a good chunk, but I've heard it takes about a month to get paid. So, not only do potential JAGs need to plan to have something to do between between the application process and the start of training, but they also need to save a lot of money or arrange a line of credit. When July 2013 rolls around, I'll have to buy uniforms, pay for my hotel room during the Ft. Lee phase, pay for my own food, keep paying rent on my apartment, and keep paying my wife and child's expenses. I'll also have to separate from my family during (at least) much of the training, and I don't think I'll get BAH for that time.

Even with all of that, there's no way in hell I'd make any other choice.

Jagjen82

Postby Jagjen82 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:30 pm

bouakedojo wrote:
ZeroDay wrote:As I mentioned above, I'm scheduled to attend the 191st JAOBC, which means I'll start my Army training in July 2013. I graduated law school in May 2012 and will get my bar results this Friday. I applied for the November 2011 board (aka the FY2012 board), was placed on the alternate list, and was selected from the alternate list in early June 2012. I already had medical clearance through the Marine Corps because I had considered going to USMC OCS during law school; updating my clearance for direct commission in the Army was as simple as sending in a one-page statement of my current medical condition. There are a few variables at play, so I'll leave it up to you to interpret the data. JARO says there is an Order of Merit List for JAOBC.

Wow, that's quite a turnaround time. 13 months? Just curious, what are you doing while you wait?

I'm glad to hear about the Marine Corps medical clearance applying for your Army app, because I've received medical clearance from them as well. Hopefully, if any branch takes me, they'll allow me to do the same.

I am working with a solo practitioner temporarily while I await my February start. I am finding it to be really good experience, and its helping make the wait a little more bearable!

Esquire

Postby Esquire » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:45 am

ZeroDay wrote:
bouakedojo wrote:Wow, that's quite a turnaround time. 13 months? Just curious, what are you doing while you wait?

I'm working as an associate at a small firm. With the Army there is just no way to avoid the long gap between being selected and the start of training. My FSO and others told me that it could be a year or longer before I'd start on active duty, but I honestly wasn't expecting to have to wait this long...

The other thing they don't go out of their way to tell you during the application process is how much money new JAGC officers will have to pay out of pocket at the beginning of training -- it's a lot. You get reimbursed for a good chunk, but I've heard it takes about a month to get paid. So, not only do potential JAGs need to plan to have something to do between between the application process and the start of training, but they also need to save a lot of money or arrange a line of credit. When July 2013 rolls around, I'll have to buy uniforms, pay for my hotel room during the Ft. Lee phase, pay for my own food, keep paying rent on my apartment, and keep paying my wife and child's expenses. I'll also have to separate from my family during (at least) much of the training, and I don't think I'll get BAH for that time.

Even with all of that, there's no way in hell I'd make any other choice.

You don't pay for your hotel room during Ft. Lee. We had a voucher. This could be iffy, though, I agree. The voucher system was new for our class. I imagine either the kinks have been worked out or they'll have a new system in place.

You'll get BAH based on where your apartment/family is. You WILL get BAH and it's based off of that.

You'll get Family Separation Allowance. That'll help a bit with your wife's and child's expenses.

Where did you get all this misinformation?

leedleed

Postby leedleed » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:41 pm

FYI: People are getting calls for AF Oct board acceptances.

wedge96

Postby wedge96 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:15 pm

leedleed wrote:FYI: People are getting calls for AF Oct board acceptances.

I can confirm this. Just got the call from the SJA that interviewed me this morning. Good luck to everyone else!

ZeroDay

Postby ZeroDay » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:26 pm

Esquire wrote:Where did you get all this misinformation?
Mostly from blogs at armystrongstories.com and also a little bit from people who went through JAOBC in years past. I guess I'll just revert back to assuming I know absolutely nothing until it actually happens.

Doc Review Lifer

Postby Doc Review Lifer » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:55 pm

Congrats Leed and Wedge!

Was there any other substantive information?! As far as MEPS dates, OTS dates, etc. are concerned?

Patrick Bateman

Postby Patrick Bateman » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:07 pm

leedleed wrote:FYI: People are getting calls for AF Oct board acceptances.

I can confirm that the selection list has dropped.

Good luck to all!

Return to “Legal Employment”