Military Law

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Texan09

Re: Military Law

Postby Texan09 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:06 pm

Just received info that gives some insight into how the Army paid summer internship affects an applicants chance at acceptance.

A JAG at the post where I am interning is an FSO. He just returned from the JARO meeting in Charlottesville. The JARO has a goal of offering 70% of the summer interns commissions. The JAG officer believes that is 70% of all the paid summer interns, not just of those that apply. Meaning they expect 30% to not apply, or not be selected for some other reason, i.e. DUI.

Starscream15

Postby Starscream15 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:28 pm

target wrote:congrats starscream! I think your work experience as ADA definitely helped. If you don't mind me asking, what did you do while you were applying? Did you consider other options besides JAG?

While I was applying I also applied to civilian jobs. I applied to small firms, other DA offices, and govt. attorney jobs. I accepted one before I heard back from AF JAG. I am currently working in a small firm as I process through MEPs and until I get my start date. The process is not quick by any means so you need to be able to pay the bills. I applied to JAG before accepting my current job. I did not mention it at all to the employer. I did this for two reasons. The first is that there was obviously no guarantee I would even be selected. The second was that even if selected, I could end up processing for an officer training class indefinitely depending on the current number of selectees, MEPs completion, budget etc.

I also prepared applications for other JAG branches. My first two choices were Air Force and Navy. However I would have also accepted Army or Coastguard JAG positions. When I started my applications I was unable to get the SJA interview with the Navy due to their scheduling. So I saved my packet and then did the AF one as it was next in time. After my SJA interview with the AF I began prepping my packet for the Army. However I heard back from the AF before the Army packets were due so I did not submit. In my SJA interview with the AF I was honest about intending to apply to the various JAG services. However I was able to to articulate why I had preferred AF over the others. My own opinion is that applying to all branches makes the most sense. It also shows that there is a desire to serve. However be prepared to explain why you prefer one over the other during your interview. Also, it is so competitive that I have to assume that the SJA's are aware that applicant's can't hang their hat on just one application to one branch.

I think it is important to recognize that throughout this process there are no guarantees. You must look out for yourself and your family first and foremost. Also from what I heard, the selection for AF JAG in April was 3-3.5%. You have to try to maximize your chances of getting a position when the selection rates are so low.

Hopefully this helps and good luck!

target

Postby target » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:05 am

starscream, thank you for a very honest response. I'm going through OCI and mass mailing firms now, while try to get all the LORs in place for both Navy and AF apps. It just hit me the other day that even if I get selected next year, I still need to do something while waiting for deployment and what not. Your response definitely calls for more cautions on my part.

Starscream15

Postby Starscream15 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:43 pm

target wrote:starscream, thank you for a very honest response. I'm going through OCI and mass mailing firms now, while try to get all the LORs in place for both Navy and AF apps. It just hit me the other day that even if I get selected next year, I still need to do something while waiting for deployment and what not. Your response definitely calls for more cautions on my part.

No problem. I wanted to also point out that if selected you will need around $2000 to pay for uniforms and expenses related to officer training.

I have learned many lessons the hard way. I hope I can help others learn from my experiences without the pain. Lol.

One other thing, in your application process, be sure to check the deadlines regarding interviews with the SJA. I was fortunate to live in an area where there are multiple AF Bases within a few hours drive. I had intended to interview at the closer AF Base but when I called I was told the SJA was in trainings or TDY until after the deadline had passed. So I had to then set up an interview at another base that was farther away. Fortunately that SJA was very accommodating and I was able to get an interview within a week. Similar experience with the Navy. In my area, the interviews all stopped a couple of weeks before the deadline. I was therefore unable to get an interview due to their scheduling. I have heard of some folks having to drive quite far to get an interview if they do not live near a base.
So the lesson here is that if you are planning to apply, start getting the SJA interviews set up as early as possible.

Tanyalynn

Postby Tanyalynn » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:55 am

Starscream,

Hi, I'm also a DA accept for AF and I just started scanning through this forum this morning bc I'm utterly clueless as to our timeline and was looking for insight. I noticed you applied for and accepted a civilian job in case your commission process was slow / delayed permanently for whatever reason. Any idea how often this happens? (panic sets in as the Bar loans deplete)

I just assumed we'd start training in November, which is what my SJA mentioned in my interview, but I noticed online that the COT dates are October, January, etc, and couldn't find future JAGSOC dates.

As for way of background for anyone else, no prior military experience, applied for DA my last semester. Tier II law school, gpa around 3.5 which I think will land me top 15%. Work experience nothing special, clerked at a private firm after 1L. Law Review, Moot Court, but specifically a moot court competition win probably helped because on everything else my app was probably pretty standard. But I'm more than happy to respond to any questions about my background or the interview process.

Oh yeah, and any idea if AF gives you a mulligan if you don't pass the Bar? Surely I'm just being "paranoid" but...you never know. :D

Last but not least! I keep seeing posts about FLITE. Anyone have access to this website? I am pretty curious as to the list of DA accepts, where everyone is from, etc. :D

howell

Postby howell » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:21 am

Tanyalynn wrote:Starscream,

Hi, I'm also a DA accept for AF and I just started scanning through this forum this morning bc I'm utterly clueless as to our timeline and was looking for insight.

Congrats! A DA accept from April here too. Go to airforceots.com, register, and check out the JAG forum there. There are several of us dealing with similar questions, and a few more people to help out with the answers.

I noticed you applied for and accepted a civilian job in case your commission process was slow / delayed permanently for whatever reason. Any idea how often this happens? (panic sets in as the Bar loans deplete)

I accepted a civilian job before knowing whether I had been selected, because I knew I needed the money, likely to even get through the bar. I don't know how common it is, but I would assume people string together whatever they can to get from graduation/bar until they start. More on the start date(s) next.

I just assumed we'd start training in November, which is what my SJA mentioned in my interview, but I noticed online that the COT dates are October, January, etc, and couldn't find future JAGSOC dates.

My understanding is that people taking the bar this summer would start in either January or March, and it could possibly be later. If you got extremely early bar results (like August), maybe October would be possible, but I would think the timing of that would be highly unlikely.

Have you gone through MEPS and gotten your medical clearance yet? Luckily, I have, but there are others that have not been to MEPS yet.

Oh yeah, and any idea if AF gives you a mulligan if you don't pass the Bar? Surely I'm just being "paranoid" but...you never know. :D

This was one of the questions posted over on the OTS board. I don't know if we got a complete answer. I feel the exact same way. I don't think there's really a way to "know" that you passed the bar, so I'll just do my best not to worry about it until October. But this would be great information to have.

Last but not least! I keep seeing posts about FLITE. Anyone have access to this website? I am pretty curious as to the list of DA accepts, where everyone is from, etc. :D

FLITE is an internal JAG website that you can only access as an employee of the Air Force. I was able to access it as an intern, but not after I left.

Tanyalynn

Postby Tanyalynn » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:34 am

Thanks howell!! Congrats to you too! Going to that website now.

I went to MEPS on July 20 but haven't been cleared yet- I have to return there for a consult on Monday and that will hopefully be the end of it. February or March?! Goodness. Looks like I'm hitting the pavement looking for another job to bide my time/bring in $$.

Patrick Bateman

Postby Patrick Bateman » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:55 am

Congrats and welcome to all the new DAP selects to the board.

Here is how my timeline looked. Please keep in mind that this all took place 4+ years ago, so the dates are approximate and it is possible that the process is slightly different now:

July 2007: Interviewed for August 07 DAP Board (first board)

September 2007: Received selection notification

Fall 2007: Coordination with JAX (TG specifically), working out the nightmare that is MEPS. I did not have any waiver issues or anything major but it still took a lot of phone calls from me and JAX to push things through. MEPS itself went fine, for what it is. Almost all the JAG selects fail the depth perception test - do not worry about this. There are resources online if you want to learn how to pass it (basically it is like the Magic Eye posters from back in the day) but it has zero impact on you as an accession.

Rest of my 3L: Pretty uneventful in terms of JAG specific. There were occasional updates and emails with JAX but nothing notable that comes to mind. I sat for the Illinois Bar in July and moved back with my folks. After talking with JAX and some AD JAGs I knew from my internship, I figured out that there was no way I would make the October COT class due to when Illinois results come out (1 Oct). The Oct class seemed to consist of primarily folks from states that came back very early (Iowa, Nebraska, North Carolina) or had already passed the bar.

I spent that fall and winter coaching high school rowing (was a collegiate rower and already had a few years coaching experience). I debated quite a bit if my time would have been better spent going back to the law firm I worked at throughout college and my 1L (Chicago MidLaw litigation firm). In that I was living at home, my expenses were minimal, so I had the luxury to pick between making more money at the firm and a bit of money coaching. I was so burnt out following the bar that I went with the coaching position – one of the better decisions I have made. The bar is stressful and the whole process of OTS and starting out in the Air Force is stressful, so if you folks pick up a job to cover expenses, try to find something that will let you recover a bit mentally.

1 October 2008: Received notification that I passed the bar and I called JAX first thing that morning. I sent them a screen shot showing the good news and got my bar folks to send JAX a letter confirming it.
I got a call from JAX about a week later offering me my two options for assignments (Nellis and Grand Forks). Another week passed and I started getting a whole bunch of paperwork from JAX. This included the hardcopy SF-86 for a secret security clearance (this takes quite a bit of time. You can download a blank SF-86 online – I highly recommend you look at one and start getting the names/dates/addresses of everything you will need to complete this).

Early November 2008: I received my commissioning paperwork and took my oath of office as a Reserve O-2. Once that was all processed, I was able to get a CAC ahead of OTS and pick up all of my uniforms down at Scott AFB. I think you can safely wait to get a CAC but I also highly recommend getting your uniforms ahead of time. It was chaos at Maxwell AFB military clothing at that day at COT and I’m still happy I was able to avoid it.

November/December: Finalized paperwork, set up everything for the movers to pick up my household goods. Nothing much beyond that comes to mind.

I left for OTS on 10 January and started two days later. Both the October and January COT classes traditionally fall into the February JASOC class. The October COT grads will go to their bases, pre-JASOC, for a few months and then go to JASOC. January COT grads will go straight from COT to JASOC and arrive at their bases for the first time in April.

Tanyalynn

Postby Tanyalynn » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:06 pm

Thanks Patrick!

I wonder if you know, do all JAGs get a secret clearance, or does that depend on reserve/active duty/base assignment/etc.? I knew you had to get a clearance, but I didn't know whether it was confidential, secret, or top secret.

Patrick Bateman

Postby Patrick Bateman » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:24 pm

Tanyalynn wrote:Thanks Patrick!

I wonder if you know, do all JAGs get a secret clearance, or does that depend on reserve/active duty/base assignment/etc.? I knew you had to get a clearance, but I didn't know whether it was confidential, secret, or top secret.

At least in the Air Force, all JAGs start out with a secret. I imagine this is standard across the services.

Due to the significant expense associated with obtaining a TS/SCI, one is only given if the specific position to which a JAG is assigned requires one. Specific billets are coded in regard to the type of clearance someone needs to work that job. Most base legal positions will not require a TS/SCI so it is not common among junior JAGs. The most common way a junior O-3 type gets one is to be tasked with a deployment that requires that that level of clearance.

Starscream15

Postby Starscream15 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:17 pm

Hello to the other DA selects!

Yes go to http://www.airforceots.com and sign up to discuss the specifics regarding the JAG process. From reading the postings there it seems like a lot of folks have been told some different things.

As for start dates I and a couple other folks were told COT in October. However I am starting to suspect the October date was the anticipated date for those of us who are already practicing attorneys. (i.e. we don't need to wait for bar results and can start immediately). If you are waiting for results then it seems like it will be the January date. The JASOC date was rumored to be in Feb and everyone from October and January would be there. So some folks get a break before JASOC and others head right on through. So far I have not seen anything posted regarding JASOC classes like COT.

As of now I don't think anyone has any better info than that for current dates.

As for MEPs, I and at least one other person have been waiting for an initial MEPs date. It has been about 2 months now since the process started and almost 2 weeks since my pre-screen was sent in. I don't think I have any medical issues that need waivers or consults from what I could glean from other people's experiences, but the process has been very slow.

I am hopeful for an October start date though but if it does not happen until January I will just work in the meantime. Patrick's information has been really helpful so read through his posts. I have to agree that all the hurry up and wait is tedious but it will all be worth it.

Patrick Bateman

Postby Patrick Bateman » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:52 pm

Starscream15 wrote:
As of now I don't think anyone has any better info than that for current dates.

You insult me.

COT runs from 15 Oct 2012 - 16 Nov 2012 & 7 Jan 2012 - 8 Feb 2013.

February JASOC will run from 11 Feb 2013 - 13 April 2013.

Both Oct 2012 and Jan 2013 COT attend the February 2013 JASOC.

Starscream15

Postby Starscream15 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:38 pm

I apologize! :oops: lol.

Thanks for the info Patrick. That is really helpful.

How many folks can we expect to be in our class at JASOC then?

Headybrah

Postby Headybrah » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:04 pm

Am I behind the ball as a 3L looking at a JAG position for after graduation with 0 armed force experience ? Bid on screeners at our OCI but waiting to hear back. Not sure if I need to start getting on top of this now or if I should wait to hear from OCI

howell

Postby howell » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:41 pm

Headybrah wrote:Am I behind the ball as a 3L looking at a JAG position for after graduation with 0 armed force experience ? Bid on screeners at our OCI but waiting to hear back. Not sure if I need to start getting on top of this now or if I should wait to hear from OCI

So you bid on screeners with some of the branches for OCI? Which ones? Most of those will likely just be "informational" and won't count as an actual interview. The Army's interview might be able to "count," but I'm not sure if that's the case for non-summer positions. The interviews are still good to do so you can find out more about the branch and where your resume and application package could be improved.

Which branch(es) are you considering? We can provide more specific info based on whether you're looking at Air Force, Army, Navy, etc.

You are somewhat behind the ball in that you have missed previous opportunities to apply, but you still have time to get application packages together for the fall interviews. The first Air Force board is in October, but you'll need to get your interview by mid-September, so you would need to schedule that pretty much as soon as possible. Navy comes slightly later, but you still have to move as fast (if not faster, since you have to have your entire package in before you can schedule an interview, unlike with the Air Force where you can set up the interview and then get your package ready). I think Army is in the October/November-ish range too, but I'm not sure. The Army JAG website could tell you.

When applying and interviewing, do your best not to come across as, "Oh crap, it's my 3L year and I don't have a job, so maybe I should apply to JAG," whether or not that's your specific case. The good thing is that JAG looks for a lot of qualities that can be demonstrated outside of military and government service, so it's quite possible that you can put together an extremely competitive package even starting now. Also, no matter the branch, check out the height/weight and physical requirements and get in shape if you're not. You don't have to be perfect on interview day, but at least get started if you're not there already. Let us know which branch(es) you're interested in, and there should be people here that can help.

Headybrah

Postby Headybrah » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:35 pm

Navy and air force. How extensive are these application packages?

Im definitely in great shape, training for a marathon. Seems like JAG is a great opportunity - lots of responsibility early on, great benefits and serve your country.

Esquire

Postby Esquire » Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:09 am

Headybrah wrote:Am I behind the ball as a 3L looking at a JAG position for after graduation with 0 armed force experience ? Bid on screeners at our OCI but waiting to hear back. Not sure if I need to start getting on top of this now or if I should wait to hear from OCI

To be honest, you're facing an uphill battle. You'll immediately start off with the stigma of being a 3L who couldn't land the job he wanted in the first place, unless your resume speaks otherwise. There should be a good amount of public interest experience on your resume. Leadership helps.

Get to reading this thread if you really want the job. A question like "How extensive are these application packages" in this thread is just... well, get to reading.

Headybrah

Postby Headybrah » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:58 am

Esquire wrote:To be honest, you're facing an uphill battle. You'll immediately start off with the stigma of being a 3L who couldn't land the job he wanted in the first place, unless your resume speaks otherwise. There should be a good amount of public interest experience on your resume. Leadership helps.

Get to reading this thread if you really want the job. A question like "How extensive are these application packages" in this thread is just... well, get to reading.

Thats what I figured. I have great public interest background working for the federal government 2 summers and background of athletics.

Will get on top of reading this thread.

reydingo

Postby reydingo » Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:44 am

First off, this is a great thread for people of all walks interested in joining the JAG Corps, regardless of branch of interest. Maybe my question has already been answer, but believe it is unique enough to warrant a new post among the others.

BLUF: I am an Army Captain that will be leaving in March of next year to attend law school to become an Air Force JAG. My pros:

1. Six years of active duty service, and will continue as a Space and Missile Officer in the ANG.
2. Time as a A/S3, Platoon Leader, XO, BN Chemical Officer (For those in the Army again A/S3), and BN Intelligence Officer
3. TC/SCI
4. 1 completed deployment, and currently on the 2nd.

Now the cons:
1. Six years of service (will explain in a moment)
2. 36 years old by start of law school.
3. Entered the service with a medical waiver for excessive refractive error (was approved by the Air Force in 2007 when applying for AF OTS, during their drawdown, when I tried for the 5th time to go line AF Officer.)

My concern at this point would be if I would be considered for AF JAG. I originally chose the AF based on the mission of protecting America from air and space. I tried for a while to get a rated slot, then non rated, and was rejected every time, hence why I am in the Army. What my concerns are are the cons listed. At one end, I know the AF allows applicants with up to ten years, but I have heard that they may look negatively on prior service for that long.
(For candidates that are considering Army JAG, I would say go for it. I have absolutely nothing against the Army, as it has done a lot for me. In my case, it is becoming a “legal Airman” and the mission of supporting AF Operations and Airmen from a legal standpoint that motivates my actions. If you feel the same way, except for Soldiers, then by all means submit.)

My question to the experienced JAG Officers is whether I would get looked at based on my cons. The reason being is I have heard second hand information that while it possible to apply with commissioned time, the chances of being accepted are slimmer than if I was applying as a non prior. I would like to confirm/deny this, before expending the effort in applying for AF JAG. Army JAG is an option, as I am going to law school regardless, but now I have a family to consider before attempting this task.

Esquire

Postby Esquire » Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:47 pm

Headybrah wrote:Thats what I figured. I have great public interest background working for the federal government 2 summers and background of athletics.

Ah, you're in an alright boat, then. You're behind those with internships and those who have previously applied before. But with public interest and fed gov stuff on your resume, you're not in a terrible spot. Good luck.

Patrick Bateman

Postby Patrick Bateman » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:53 pm

Starscream15 wrote:I apologize! :oops: lol.

Thanks for the info Patrick. That is really helpful.

How many folks can we expect to be in our class at JASOC then?

My February JASOC class had 70-75. Primarily from the Oct/Jan COT classes and then a handful of folks from other commissioning sources.

Patrick Bateman

Postby Patrick Bateman » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:22 pm

reydingo wrote:First off, this is a great thread for people of all walks interested in joining the JAG Corps, regardless of branch of interest. Maybe my question has already been answer, but believe it is unique enough to warrant a new post among the others.

BLUF: I am an Army Captain that will be leaving in March of next year to attend law school to become an Air Force JAG. My pros:

1. Six years of active duty service, and will continue as a Space and Missile Officer in the ANG.
2. Time as a A/S3, Platoon Leader, XO, BN Chemical Officer (For those in the Army again A/S3), and BN Intelligence Officer
3. TC/SCI
4. 1 completed deployment, and currently on the 2nd.

Now the cons:
1. Six years of service (will explain in a moment)
2. 36 years old by start of law school.
3. Entered the service with a medical waiver for excessive refractive error (was approved by the Air Force in 2007 when applying for AF OTS, during their drawdown, when I tried for the 5th time to go line AF Officer.)

My concern at this point would be if I would be considered for AF JAG. I originally chose the AF based on the mission of protecting America from air and space. I tried for a while to get a rated slot, then non rated, and was rejected every time, hence why I am in the Army. What my concerns are are the cons listed. At one end, I know the AF allows applicants with up to ten years, but I have heard that they may look negatively on prior service for that long.
(For candidates that are considering Army JAG, I would say go for it. I have absolutely nothing against the Army, as it has done a lot for me. In my case, it is becoming a “legal Airman” and the mission of supporting AF Operations and Airmen from a legal standpoint that motivates my actions. If you feel the same way, except for Soldiers, then by all means submit.)

My question to the experienced JAG Officers is whether I would get looked at based on my cons. The reason being is I have heard second hand information that while it possible to apply with commissioned time, the chances of being accepted are slimmer than if I was applying as a non prior. I would like to confirm/deny this, before expending the effort in applying for AF JAG. Army JAG is an option, as I am going to law school regardless, but now I have a family to consider before attempting this task.

The issue I've seen with JAGs that come in with extensive time as an officer in a different career field (usually FLEP or ELP) is that they show up with so much time in grade, there is really no time to season/develop them as junior attorneys. With 6+years in, you'll probably be selected for Major, if not wearing oak leaves by the time you start at a base legal office. They leaves you very little time to practice as a junior JAG before you get pushed up in having to manage by virtue of your rank. No matter what, you'll have to be chief of military justice or civil law at a large legal office (Nellis, DM, Ramstein, etc) without the benefit of having been a section OIC and understanding how the different sections run. After that first assignment, you'd very likely be done being a drone at base legal and have to move up to either a Numbered Air Force or be the Deputy SJA at a different base legal office.

Bottom line - you'll just have to operate with a much steeper learning curve than your peers who got to spend all of their time in uniform in JAG. I don't think most of those jobs are terribly difficult, especially for someone with your background who is inevitably used to working outside his comfort zone, but it is still a challenge to be in a leadership position just out of the gate.

Practically, you may lose out on some of the cooler opportunities in the AF JAG Corps due to your rank - positions like Area Defense Counsel, working at a Field Support Center, and the other slots for the senior Captains will probably not work out for you as they will have to develop you very quickly for more senior leadership roles. Your chance to do courts will be limited to probably that first assignment at a legal office as well.

So, if I am sitting on a selection board looking at your file, this is what is going through my mind. The "Con" is everything listed above. You have valuable experience as an officer and leader, but not as a JAG, and you'll have the challenge of having to lead folks with far more practical lawyer experience than you. The "Pro" is that you have already been seasoned as an officer and you are going to bring all of that valuable background to the JAG Corps. You'll have a different perspective and skill set that folks like me, coming through a weak commissioning program and not knowing much of the operational Air Force beyond deployments, could never provide. When you talk to Commanders, you will have that additional credibility of wearing the ribbons and decs of someone that has been around the block.

You sound like you truly want to be wearing Blue and that is not something I can say for the vast majority of applicants out there. I highly encourage you to go for it. Your background is so unique that it is almost impossible to ballpark you odds of success. I personally know a handful of Field Graders that have similar backgrounds, overcame the same challenges, and have done a hell of a job.

Best of luck to you and keep your head down on this current deployment.

Scotusnerd

Postby Scotusnerd » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:34 pm

I had a quick few questions for the air force gurus here. Let's say that I'm very interested in externing at a local (large) air force base. Who do I contact? Is there any advice you'd have for someone who wants to extern at an air force base? I want to observe, but I don't want to be a pest, obviously. I've been in externship situations where people get really offended if you follow them into certain work areas, and I want to make sure that I don't breach some sort of unwritten rules regarding base protocol.

Patrick Bateman

Postby Patrick Bateman » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:11 am

Scotusnerd wrote:I had a quick few questions for the air force gurus here. Let's say that I'm very interested in externing at a local (large) air force base. Who do I contact? Is there any advice you'd have for someone who wants to extern at an air force base? I want to observe, but I don't want to be a pest, obviously. I've been in externship situations where people get really offended if you follow them into certain work areas, and I want to make sure that I don't breach some sort of unwritten rules regarding base protocol.

You can call the main number for the Base Legal Office - just explain you are a law student looking to extern and you'd like to talk to the Recruiting POC. Every office will have someone designated as the point of contact for recruiting - usually it will be a Captain type (very likely in a larger office). Your request will have to be up-channelled to the SJA for approval - I'd recommend having a up-to-date resume and writing sample that you can send over to the office. The SJA may want to interview you first to make sure you are not a raving lunatic or fat slob. If that is the case, review this thread for the SJA interview advice -

In terms of more general advice: the best result of an internship/externship is the impression of you that you will be a perfect fit for an Air Force uniform. You want to fit in with the office/rest of the base and not be that hopeless shit show civilian. Start preparing yourself now to make that impression that you will make a good officer. Read up on Air Force culture and history, learn the ranks and terms of address, and be physically fit.

Scotusnerd

Postby Scotusnerd » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:22 am

Thank you, Captain Bateman. I'm not currently physically fit enough (I weigh 256, should be 227), so I'll hold off until I lose a few more pounds and have some time to research the culture thoroughly. I'm working out 30 minutes, six days a week, eating right and all that jazz. It's just going to be a matter of time. I figure it's a chance for me to show dedication and seriousness about wanting to be a JAG, and I'm not going to mess it up.

I appreciate the advice.

Return to “Legal Employment”