Military Law

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Doc Review Lifer

Re: Military Law

Postby Doc Review Lifer » Thu May 03, 2012 1:32 pm

DaveCA wrote:
Doc Review Lifer wrote:Regarding the AF...
If by some miracle we're selected, what is our expected date to start COT?
My interviewer told me the first starting date after we are sworn into the bar, likely early January.

Apologies. I mean, for those of us DAP who have already passed the bar (last Nov!). I see on the website that class 12-05 arrives 2Jul12 and 12-06 arrives 27Aug12...

Patrick Bateman

Postby Patrick Bateman » Thu May 03, 2012 8:21 pm

Doc Review Lifer wrote:
DaveCA wrote:
Doc Review Lifer wrote:Regarding the AF...
If by some miracle we're selected, what is our expected date to start COT?
My interviewer told me the first starting date after we are sworn into the bar, likely early January.

Apologies. I mean, for those of us DAP who have already passed the bar (last Nov!). I see on the website that class 12-05 arrives 2Jul12 and 12-06 arrives 27Aug12...

The July class would be very tight in terms of timing - not sure if it would work. There are a lot of moving parts that have to come together to get you placed at a base, commissioned, have orders cut, get through MEPS, have TMO pick everything up, etc.

For perspective, way back in 2008: Passing bar results on 1 Oct, base assignment options call came in 7 Oct. Ton of paperwork moved b/t 7 Oct and my commissioning on 18 Nov. After that, I received my orders in the second week of December for COT 09-02.

xerxes

Postby xerxes » Thu May 03, 2012 8:49 pm

Howdy all. Long-time reader of TLS here, former contributor with a different username as well (forgot pw, oh well). Anyways, after being rejected from SP 4 or 5 times, was accepted on my first try with DA. So to all of you who didn't make it - trust me, keep trying.

Anyways, a few questions:

1. I get the basic way it will proceed from here, but when will (a) training start in the fall around, and (b) when will have I an idea on assignment locations? I recall that I'll have some say?

2. Does anyone know stats for Navy as far as DA applicants and SP applicants, and how many people are taken? Just curious. Also, once we all join, any difference between DA and SP?

Thanks and good luck to all.

Fed_Atty

Postby Fed_Atty » Fri May 04, 2012 8:15 am

Currently the selection rate for the student program is between 4-7 percent. Not sure of the stats for DA. They certainly take fewer, but I am not sure of the size of the applicant pool. regarding training timeline, it is a bit tricky since you already passed the bar. You will hear from the accessions officer regarding duty stations.

xerxes

Postby xerxes » Fri May 04, 2012 10:12 am

As an additional question to DA #s, because we commission after most SP applicants, are we lower in priority on location? Just curious about That and any other difference. Thanks again

jljsaud

Postby jljsaud » Fri May 04, 2012 2:50 pm

I was PR'd as an alternate for Navy JAG DA - does anyone know the rate of getting off of the alternate list?

xerxes

Postby xerxes » Sun May 06, 2012 6:38 pm

Also, does anyone know of any other good forums to go over this stuff? Saw the OCS one, but it appears fairly dead. Thanks all

Doc Review Lifer

Postby Doc Review Lifer » Wed May 09, 2012 5:01 pm

Guess us prospective USAF Judge Advocates are too nervous to post... :wink:

shock259

Postby shock259 » Wed May 09, 2012 5:16 pm

Question for those that have done a JAG internship: daily wear is a suit/tie, right?

I'm in the market for a suit that 1) fits me better, and 2) I can wear daily. Any thoughts? Black or charcoal seem like the most conservative colors, so I'll probably spring for one of those. Beyond that, I'm not too experienced in this area. I've always felt like I've gotten conned when buying a suit previously (I think the suit I have now does not fit me properly despite the dept store's assertions that it does).

xerxes

Postby xerxes » Wed May 09, 2012 5:28 pm

Not for m internship it wasn't; khakis and polo. DC might be a bit more formal, but still doubt suit every day. I'd ask your contact

Also, black suits are questionable style wise, so yah wouldn't go with that.

DaveCA

Postby DaveCA » Wed May 09, 2012 5:45 pm

shock259 wrote:Question for those that have done a JAG internship: daily wear is a suit/tie, right?
I wore a dress shirt and khakis to mine.
Doc Review Lifer wrote:Guess us prospective USAF Judge Advocates are too nervous to post... :wink:
And yes, I certainly am.

howell

Postby howell » Wed May 09, 2012 6:07 pm

I agree with the others on dress. DC might require suits, most places are essentially business casual, and, most importantly, check with your contact on base. I did a long-sleeve shirt and tie most days.

And still waiting for AF results. There's not a lot of waiting in the military, is there???? :D

Fed_Atty

Postby Fed_Atty » Thu May 10, 2012 8:31 am

I think suit and tie would be overkill for an internship. Most of the officers in my command wear the Navy Working Uniform and our civilian attorney wears slacks and a collared shirt. If court is in session, the military attorneys will be in dress whites, you would probably want to wear a suit that day, particularly if you are actually sitting at the counsel table. Our interns start in a couple of weeks, still trying to figure out what work to give them. We have a pretty robust case load right now, if they are interested in military justice it should be a good experience.

Patrick Bateman

Postby Patrick Bateman » Thu May 10, 2012 10:54 am

I agree with my fellow sartorially minded posters above. When I interned, I spent the first few days in a suit and then transitioned into a button up with tie and khakis/dress pants for most days. I always came in with a suit coat or blazer but generally had it hanging up when I was just working around the office.

At an AF base legal office, Tuesday through Friday the active duty will be in ABUs. Monday we are all stuck in our Blues. The full service dress is only worn for court or other formal situations (change of command, promotions, etc). I second the advice of contacting your sponsor at the office to find out what the office policy will be. Apropos of nothing - I ever become an SJA, I fully intend to have Mess Dress Fridays, in which I will authorize early release for any personnel that rock their Mess Dress for the day.

Don't forget to wear the whites. Very hot down there.
I don't like the whites.
Nobody likes the whites but we're going to Cuba

shock259

Postby shock259 » Thu May 10, 2012 11:32 am

Good to know, everyone. Appreciate it. You've saved me the cost of a new suit.. for now. :)

Doc Review Lifer

Postby Doc Review Lifer » Thu May 10, 2012 12:37 pm

Not to make this a fashion forum, but since when were black suits questionable stylish-wise?!

I happen to think grey ones are pushing the envelope...

Grandma always said "dress like a Republican" :wink:

xerxes

Postby xerxes » Thu May 10, 2012 9:26 pm

Since always? Black suits are notoriously controversial for just about all non-funeral purposes. I'm a fan personally, but the power suit ain't the way to go for an internship by any measure.

Doc Review Lifer

Postby Doc Review Lifer » Fri May 11, 2012 9:57 am

News to me, but fair enough. May 11th. Surely TJAG has signed off...right?!

Minnesota3L

Postby Minnesota3L » Fri May 11, 2012 10:35 am

Maybe they really weren't kidding about the end of May...

howell

Postby howell » Fri May 11, 2012 11:08 am

Air Force DAP calls are going out. I was selected. Beyond honored. Good luck to everyone else.

shock259

Postby shock259 » Fri May 11, 2012 11:11 am

Congrats howell!

Patrick Bateman

Postby Patrick Bateman » Fri May 11, 2012 11:22 am

howell wrote:Air Force DAP calls are going out. I was selected. Beyond honored. Good luck to everyone else.

Confirmed. Selection list has been posted on FLITE.

Best of luck and congrats to those who get a call today.

Doc Review Lifer

Postby Doc Review Lifer » Fri May 11, 2012 11:22 am

Congrats!! So excited for you!

C'mon cell phone!!! Come through!

Minnesota3L

Postby Minnesota3L » Fri May 11, 2012 11:37 am

CONGRATS!

DaveCA

Postby DaveCA » Fri May 11, 2012 12:54 pm

All productivity has hit zero while I stare at the phone, demanding it to ring.

Return to “Legal Employment”