Military Law Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
dfmmalaw

New

Re: Military Law

Post by dfmmalaw » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:28 am

I posted this in another thread but would like to ask the opinions of those whom have military and JAG experience. I am going to apply with all branches but would like to join the USMC if possible. Please weigh in with opinions on the possibility of me being accepted into JAG condidering both my good and bad history. Thank you!

Law School: Nova Southeastern University (Graduated in ’10)

Scholastic Involvement:
1) Founding member of my school’s Toastmasters club (Nova chapter)
2) Was selected for and spoke on behalf of Georgia State University Law (where I was a transient student my 3L year) on firearms and toolmark evidence at the annual forensic conference in Dalian, China
3) As a teacher’s assistant my 3L year, I contributed to a book on “legal knowledge for college students” written by my advanced criminal trial advocacy professor

Legal Experience:
1) Paralegal at a securities fraud/consumer protection law firm (2 years)
2) Clinic at State Prosecutor’s Office (tried misdemeanor cases as lead counsel) my 1st semester of 3L year. Best experience of my life! God bless the Third Year Practice Act.

Community Involvement:
1) I am a big brother (in Big Brothers-Big Sisters) of a 15 year old named Bailey and have been a big part of his life for the past year and a half.
2) I am the founder of a non-profit (M.A.T.U.R.E=Martial Arts Training and Understanding while Returning to Education) established to help troubled youth turn their lives around.
3) I volunteered as a Guardian Ad Litem with the Truancy Intervention Program in Atlanta, Georgia

Family: Wife, no children

Work History:
Coming out of law school I was hired as a Criminal Justice instructor and program director at college in Norcross, GA. After a year, I was hired by another small college as the Director of Education. I am currently working in that position, leading two program directors and 17 instructors. The pay in my current job is great, and I would be taking a pay cut to join JAG, but I could not think of anything that I want more than to be a JAG in the USMC. I love the USMC’s physical, moral and intellectual demands and more importantly I want to serve my country. I have had a good time as an instructor but I see an incredible future in the JAG program. I would like to one day prosecute federally and believe that the USMC’s JAG can provide me that opportunity in the future. I am not looking for a four year stint but instead a 20+ year career.

Thor following foure topics were brought up by an OSO in another thread and I just inputed my information.

1) Moral – I was arrested and plead guilty to a DUI when I was 19 years old. I was also arrested but had the charges dropped for a drug charge when I was 15. The DUI was completely my fault and something I have spent my entire life trying to make up for. I hope that others can see as clearly as I can how it has shaped my life for the better and made me the man I am today.

2) Academic – I dropped out of high school, got my GED, went to community college, then a four year university, and then finally law school. I never took the SAT, so I assume that means I must take the ASVAB. I scored a 152 on the LSAT, my GPA in law school was a 2.7, and I will be taking the bar exam in July.

3) Physical – I can complete each of the physical requirements you listed at a 300 score level. I am a competitive Mixed Martial Artist so my training regimen is quite rigorous (especially come fight camp).

4) Medical – I am 29, so this may be a problem. Also, I had my ACL repaired when I was 20, a sacroiliac joint fixation to decrease hyper mobility, and my shoulder labrum tissue cleaned out and reattached where there was a minor tear last year. This does not hinder me physically from training or competing. Will the OSO and accession board take this into consideration?

Esquire

Bronze

Post by Esquire » Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:45 pm

I don't know if I previously posted this information but the Army JAG's selection rate is 6%. This data is per the Powerpoint presentations I've seen at the JAG School.

ZeroDay

New

Post by ZeroDay » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:41 pm

Army Reserves
I was just notified by Army JARO that I was "pre-selected" for the Reserve component. Here is their exactly language: "Congratulations! The Judge Advocate General has approved your application for appointment to the U.S. Army Reserve, Judge Advocate General's Corps as a result of your selection as an alternate for the US Army JAG Corps Active Duty Fall 2012 Board." Literally all I had to do was send JARO an email saying that I wanted to join the Reserves.

Medical Screening Process
Also, I've seen some questions/comments on this thread before about the medical screening process, and I wanted to add my experience. I was previously medically qualified when I was considering going to OCS for the Marine JAGC. Now, I have to get another medical qualification for the Army JAGC. BUT I do not have to go through the whole medical screening process all over again. They just sent me a form to update my certification. Basically, I have to tell them when/why I've gone to see the doctor over the past year.

leedleed

New

Post by leedleed » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:32 pm

[quote="ZeroDay"]Army Reserves
I was just notified by Army JARO that I was "pre-selected" for the Reserve component. Here is their exactly language: "Congratulations! The Judge Advocate General has approved your application for appointment to the U.S. Army Reserve, Judge Advocate General's Corps as a result of your selection as an alternate for the US Army JAG Corps Active Duty Fall 2012 Board." Literally all I had to do was send JARO an email saying that I wanted to join the Reserves.

congrats!

who did you specifically have to e-mail?

leedleed

New

Post by leedleed » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:32 pm

JAG_Hopeful wrote:Yikes!
DaveCA wrote:
steubenville wrote:They took over 8 weeks for the fall board, so it may not be until May 15th that we hear back.
But they took around 4 last spring, so who knows.
How do they usually make their announcements? Phone calls to accepted?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JAG_Hopeful

New

Post by JAG_Hopeful » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:46 pm

It looks like they sent an email last fall -- but they also update your status in the application. I'm trying not to look at it because apparently in the fall someone's status changed from "Pending" to "Not professionally recommended" to "Professionally recommended," which is too nervewracking!
leedleed wrote:
JAG_Hopeful wrote:Yikes!
DaveCA wrote:
steubenville wrote:They took over 8 weeks for the fall board, so it may not be until May 15th that we hear back.
But they took around 4 last spring, so who knows.

DaveCA

New

Post by DaveCA » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:30 pm

JAG_Hopeful wrote:It looks like they sent an email last fall -- but they also update your status in the application. I'm trying not to look at it because apparently in the fall someone's status changed from "Pending" to "Not professionally recommended" to "Professionally recommended," which is too nervewracking!
leedleed wrote:
DaveCA wrote:But they took around 4 last spring, so who knows.
I wasn't even aware that was a thing, but I most certainly double checked once or twice after my last "no" just to be sure.
I know the Air Force will call you to tell you if it's a yes, I didn't ask any of my Navy friends how they found out first.

DaveCA

New

Post by DaveCA » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:33 pm

Also, from the Air Force JAG Facebook page
The April DAP board is actually convening today. Results are released at the discretion the The Judge Advocate General of the Air Force (TJAG), once he has made final selections and approved the list. Only then can results be released. Selectees are notified via phone from their interviewing offical, all others are notified via mail.

Fed_Atty

Bronze

Re: Military Lawhe

Post by Fed_Atty » Tue May 01, 2012 10:44 am

When I was selected by the Navy, all that happened was my status changed. It was nOt until a couple of days later that I got an email. This may have been specific to me, but while others status listed not professionally recommended, mine still listed pending before finally switching to Professionally recommended.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

NAOBERJU

New

Post by NAOBERJU » Tue May 01, 2012 2:05 pm

For the Navy results which came out in December I had the same experience. My status was still "pending" but I received an email from the Navy that said that I had been professionally recommended.

leedleed

New

Post by leedleed » Wed May 02, 2012 1:00 pm

Mine just went to "Professionally Recommended" !!!

but i didnt get any emails or calls yet...

DaveCA

New

Post by DaveCA » Wed May 02, 2012 1:17 pm

Congrats. Mine still says "Pending"

Refresh.... refresh....

*It's a "Not" for me.

Minnesota3L

New

Post by Minnesota3L » Wed May 02, 2012 1:42 pm

Navy and AF results right about the same time...congrats to those selected.
AF folks still waiting with crossed fingers at the moment...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Doc Review Lifer

New

Post by Doc Review Lifer » Wed May 02, 2012 2:20 pm

Congrats, Leedleed. Dave, sorry to hear but don't give up! Besides...AF results have yet to be released.

Rocky Estoppel

Bronze

Post by Rocky Estoppel » Wed May 02, 2012 2:23 pm

0-4 for the Navy. :(

QueueToo

New

Post by QueueToo » Wed May 02, 2012 2:37 pm

PRed for the Navy. Do I understand next steps right? From here it's a background and medical screening. If one doesn't screw those up, get arrested or fail out of school there's a commission at the end of graduation?

I feel like class will be fairly unproductive today . . . .

JAG_Hopeful

New

Post by JAG_Hopeful » Wed May 02, 2012 4:30 pm

Not professionally recommended. I'm in the middle of a paper and I've decided to not deal with my letdown until I have finished it, but, ouch. Congrats to those recommended!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jackstark

New

Post by jackstark » Wed May 02, 2012 5:45 pm

Also PR'ed. Sorry to those who didn't get it, good luck with your other applications.
QueueToo wrote:PRed for the Navy. Do I understand next steps right? From here it's a background and medical screening. If one doesn't screw those up, get arrested or fail out of school there's a commission at the end of graduation?

I feel like class will be fairly unproductive today . . . .
Seconding this question. Received an email asking for a response mid-May. Any Navy JAGs or 2Ls/3Ls who are going through this able to talk about what comes next after the initial acceptance? Feel free to PM.

Fed_Atty

Bronze

Post by Fed_Atty » Wed May 02, 2012 6:37 pm

If you accept the rec, you will be contacted by a recruiter. The recruiter will walk you through the necessary steps. Big thing is the medical exam. Once you are done with all the steps, the recruiter will send your package fwd for final approval. Ultimately, you will swear in as an Ensign, in an inactive status. You will hear from the accessions officer relatively soon. She will be able to give you more info.

daddymike

New

Post by daddymike » Wed May 02, 2012 10:29 pm

NOT PR'd. That was my last chance before I have to start applying Direct Appointment.

And with that final app, I am throwing in the towel.

Best wishes to those that got in, and good luck to those who are still waiting...

Military is not in my cards, it seems.

leedleed

New

Post by leedleed » Thu May 03, 2012 12:34 am

thank you to all.

to those who werent PR'd, don't give up!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Doc Review Lifer

New

Post by Doc Review Lifer » Thu May 03, 2012 1:10 pm

Regarding the AF...

If by some miracle we're selected, what is our expected date to start COT?

DaveCA

New

Post by DaveCA » Thu May 03, 2012 1:21 pm

Doc Review Lifer wrote:Regarding the AF...
My interviewer told me the first starting date after we are sworn into the bar, likely early January.

Doc Review Lifer

New

Post by Doc Review Lifer » Thu May 03, 2012 1:32 pm

DaveCA wrote:
My interviewer told me the first starting date after we are sworn into the bar, likely early January.
Apologies. I mean, for those of us DAP who have already passed the bar (last Nov!). I see on the website that class 12-05 arrives 2Jul12 and 12-06 arrives 27Aug12...

Patrick Bateman

Silver

Post by Patrick Bateman » Thu May 03, 2012 8:21 pm

Doc Review Lifer wrote:
DaveCA wrote:
Apologies. I mean, for those of us DAP who have already passed the bar (last Nov!). I see on the website that class 12-05 arrives 2Jul12 and 12-06 arrives 27Aug12...
The July class would be very tight in terms of timing - not sure if it would work. There are a lot of moving parts that have to come together to get you placed at a base, commissioned, have orders cut, get through MEPS, have TMO pick everything up, etc.

For perspective, way back in 2008: Passing bar results on 1 Oct, base assignment options call came in 7 Oct. Ton of paperwork moved b/t 7 Oct and my commissioning on 18 Nov. After that, I received my orders in the second week of December for COT 09-02.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”