Military Law

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
shock259

Re: Military Law

Postby shock259 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:57 pm

Thanks for the info :D

holajerin

Postby holajerin » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:04 pm

lawschool00 wrote:
leedleed wrote:
evanlazer wrote:Who wants to guess when the OYCP/GLP results come out? Last year it was around Feb 26 via phone.

they said, on facebook, early march

Calls went out on Friday. Congrats to those selected.

Sorry, but OYCP/GLP? And SJA? Those don't refer to the summer internship program, do they? Anyone heard anything about that?

Thanks.

shock259

Postby shock259 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:06 pm

No, they are different. GLP/OYCP are full time programs upon graduation/bar passage. I'm guessing the summer internship selection stuff is done separately, but that's just a guess.

holajerin

Postby holajerin » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:08 pm

Yeah, I just looked them up on the AF website. For anyone else unfamiliar with the acronyms, OYCP = One Year College Program (for 2L applicants), and GLP = Graduate Law Program (for 1L applicants), right?

However, I'm still unsure what SJA stands for. Thanks again.

shock259

Postby shock259 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:12 pm

Staff Judge Advocate. It's one of the people you interview with when applying to GLP/OYCP.

holajerin

Postby holajerin » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:13 pm

Excellent. Thanks, Shock! And good luck!

Patrick Bateman

Postby Patrick Bateman » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:30 pm

shock259 wrote:Certain that all of them went out? How did you hear? :cry:

Do we get rejections via mail or via email?

I can confirm that the OYCP/GLP selections have been posted. When the calls go out depend entirely on the SJA - don't start freaking out yet.

Holajerin - the Staff Judge Advocate is the senior JAG that runs the Base Legal Office and is the head lawyer for the installation; generally a full Colonel at bigger installations or a Lieutenant Colonel at smaller bases. The SJA will have a Deputy, the DSJA, and then all the Captain types are Assistant Staff Judge Advocates.

westerking

Postby westerking » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:48 pm

I haven't heard from the SJA either :( . Oh boy, it looks like it's suicide again for me.

brownshoe

Postby brownshoe » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:35 pm

Patrick Bateman wrote:

I can confirm that the OYCP/GLP selections have been posted. When the calls go out depend entirely on the SJA - don't start freaking out yet.

Holajerin - the Staff Judge Advocate is the senior JAG that runs the Base Legal Office and is the head lawyer for the installation; generally a full Colonel at bigger installations or a Lieutenant Colonel at smaller bases. The SJA will have a Deputy, the DSJA, and then all the Captain types are Assistant Staff Judge Advocates.

Huh, this is interesting. In the Navy, base SJAs are second-tour O-3s, even at our largest bases. I'm not sure why there would be such a difference. Now, large geographic regions, such as the northwest, have O-5 SJAs with one or two deputy SJAs.

evanlazer

Postby evanlazer » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:17 pm

lawschool00 wrote:A friend got the call late Friday afternoon. I believe rejection letters come in the mail. It could just be that your SJA was out of the office already...? I wouldn't lose hope just yet.

Any idea what region/time zone etc. he was in and how late the call was?

lawschool00

Postby lawschool00 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:16 pm

evanlazer wrote:
lawschool00 wrote:A friend got the call late Friday afternoon. I believe rejection letters come in the mail. It could just be that your SJA was out of the office already...? I wouldn't lose hope just yet.

It was at 3:30 PM EST.

That's pretty late on Friday afternoon (for government), so I would hope for a call tomorrow!

evanlazer

Postby evanlazer » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:46 pm

lawschool00 wrote:
evanlazer wrote:

It was at 3:30 PM EST.

That's pretty late on Friday afternoon (for government), so I would hope for a call tomorrow!

Thanks! And I'm hoping for it, but not too confident based upon previous years results, but who knows right?

wannabejag

Postby wannabejag » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:48 pm

brownshoe wrote:
Patrick Bateman wrote:

Huh, this is interesting. In the Navy, base SJAs are second-tour O-3s, even at our largest bases. I'm not sure why there would be such a difference. Now, large geographic regions, such as the northwest, have O-5 SJAs with one or two deputy SJAs.

It has less to do with the base and more to do with the command. For example, the SJA at Fort Cambell is the "Staff" Judge Advocate for the 101st Airborne. He is on the two star commanding general's staff. Smaller bases may have a one star, or O-6 command.

I don't know how the Navy aligns their personel, but I would be willing to bet that second tour O-3 is not the senior lawyer on the staff of an O-8.

brownshoe

Postby brownshoe » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:06 pm

wannabejag wrote:
brownshoe wrote:
Patrick Bateman wrote:

It has less to do with the base and more to do with the command. For example, the SJA at Fort Cambell is the "Staff" Judge Advocate for the 101st Airborne. He is on the two star commanding general's staff. Smaller bases may have a one star, or O-6 command.

I don't know how the Navy aligns their personel, but I would be willing to bet that second tour O-3 is not the senior lawyer on the staff of an O-8.

Ok, thanks - that explains it. Our base COs are not operational billets. So for example, the base CO at Pearl Harbor is an O-6 with an O-3 SJA, while on the same base is the 4 star CO of PACFLT who has an O-6 SJA.

Pogues

Postby Pogues » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:15 am

Congratulations to all those who were selected for the Air Force OYCP/GLP!!! Does anybody know how many people applied/how many people were selected for the OYCP?

akeller2891

Postby akeller2891 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:46 am

still no phone call.
Last edited by akeller2891 on Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bouakedojo

Postby bouakedojo » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:13 pm

Just to follow up about contacting my local JAG base for a 1L summer internship:

I sent an email to the Captain I had left a voice mail for and attached my cover letter and resume. I received a phone call from a different Captain and set up an interview time for next month. I'm going to have to go through this thread again in the future and look for interviewing advice.

I'm actually surprised at how formal it seems to be because he talked about how he was interviewing for two weeks and doing spring OCI at another school in the city. I thought it would be more of a "convincing him to take an intern" type deal, but it sounds like this is very typical for this AF base.

This would definitely be my first choice for a summer internship so I'm very excited to have the opportunity to interview. :D

akeller2891

Postby akeller2891 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:35 pm

Did anyone get an acceptance call today for the AF OYCP?

Esquire

Postby Esquire » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:47 pm

I have some time to put some info out about the Army JAG Corps.

Airborne: The JAG OBC class has 10 slots for Active Duty people. To get them to fund you to Airborne or whatever, you have to compete for these slots through what's known as Zero Day. Zero Day is a smoke session, consisting of rapid, high rep exercises. It's a test of endurance and will. Once there are only about 15 or so standing, you passed. Now you get to participate in a special exercise group. If you can keep up with that run group all through Charlottesville, you'll be headed to Airborne. That's the gist of it. Play with the number of participants and available slots.

Reservists and National Guards do not get funding from JAOBC. Only Active Duty. If you're Reserve/NG, you have to get your unit to fund you, along with completing Zero Day and the special exercise group.

I didn't know exactly how getting an Airborne slot worked before I came to OBC so I hope that helps. There used to be Air Assault and Pathfinder schools along with Airborne. However, due to funding issues, they've been cut.

I assume if you earn an Airborne slot, your report date for your duty location gets pushed back for 3 weeks.

Pogues

Postby Pogues » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:33 pm

akeller2891 wrote:Did anyone get an acceptance call today for the AF OYCP?

Nope. I am probably just going to wait by the mailbox for the rejection letter. Good luck!

shock259

Postby shock259 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:39 pm

At this point I'm just waiting for my rejection letter too. Still holding out hope for the AF/Navy summer internships, though.

Good luck to everyone.

holajerin

Postby holajerin » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:50 pm

Anyone heard anything about the Navy summer internship applications yet? Hoping they're going to stick to their end-of-the-month goal.

jib253

Postby jib253 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:25 pm

BlinkNC wrote:Applying next fall to the USN JAG. So far I have:

Top 5%
Good letters of Rec (USN Captain in JAG, Crim Law Prof)

What else should I look at getting solidified before the application? Internship is not possible this summer, sadly.

Look to round out your application with some extracurricular activities. Try finding places to volunteer your time. The application asks about your involvement in and out of school, including sports teams, leadership positions, volunteer work, and of course, work experience. JAG officers need to be more versatile than their civilian counterparts, and it seems as though the Navy values that. At least they did for me.

Also, try to narrow down exactly why you want to do the Navy JAG. Is it a desire to serve your country? Sense of adventure? Early responsibility? Uniforms? You need to be able to articulate why this the job for you, and not just a backup plan.

jib253

Postby jib253 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:43 pm

Doc Review Lifer wrote:As far as the Personal / Motivational Statement goes....

Should we be approaching this at a why-I-want-to-serve or a why-do-you-want-me stance?

Heard different things from different people and from different types of boards. I know we should be honest, but I've written about 1000 reversions of this thing and keep tossing it the very next day.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

For the motivational statement, you want to explain why you are motivated to serve. If I remember correctly, there are other parts of the application to tout your credentials. You can weave in some "qualifications" into your why-I-want-to-serve statement, but I think this is where you show why you really want to be a judge advocate. Motivation is a big factor in the selection process, from what I understand.

Doc Review Lifer

Postby Doc Review Lifer » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:16 pm

Thanks, jib253. That's what I figured.

I showed my PS to members of some other boards, and much of their criticism was that it says nothing about why the Selection Board would want me (admittedly, it's geared mostly to why I want to serve). In trying to revise it that way, it just sounds more and more like a cover letter, which I don't think they want.

That being said, I think the personal statement is more of a cover letter for other rated/non-rated boards whereas this focused on motivation for serving.

Return to “Legal Employment”