Military Law Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
bouakedojo

Bronze

Re: Military Law

Post by bouakedojo » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:27 pm

DD352 wrote:Last week I was selected to be a Marine Corps Judge Advocate. I'll be heading to Quantico this summer for 10 weeks. I'm a 1L at a T2.

I'll answer any questions anyone might have about the Marine Corps application process.
I thought the boards were in March/April?

I'm going to be applying next fall as a 2L (along with several other branches).

I'd be interested to know your PFT score and your class rank, if you don't mind. If you don't want to say publicly, could you pm me?

Thanks.

leedleed

New

Post by leedleed » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:46 am

DD352 wrote:Last week I was selected to be a Marine Corps Judge Advocate. I'll be heading to Quantico this summer for 10 weeks. I'm a 1L at a T2.

I'll answer any questions anyone might have about the Marine Corps application process.
Can you please tell us the whole application process? I wasn't able to find any info online. Thanks!

AriGoldButNicer

Bronze

Post by AriGoldButNicer » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:50 am

I met a jag who said from my school i will have a great shot... Id love to do jag but id the pay really only 40k? As muchbasni dont want to sell my soul 160k vs 40k is too big of a lifestyle difference as i wouldn't be able to have a family unless my wife made more than me.

Patrick Bateman

Silver

Post by Patrick Bateman » Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:09 am

AriGoldButNicer wrote:I met a jag who said from my school i will have a great shot... Id love to do jag but id the pay really only 40k? As muchbasni dont want to sell my soul 160k vs 40k is too big of a lifestyle difference as i wouldn't be able to have a family unless my wife made more than me.
A simple Google search can yield troves of information: --LinkRemoved--

You can also look up things like "capitalization," "spelling," and "punctuation."

gilgamesh23

New

Post by gilgamesh23 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:10 am

AriGoldButNicer wrote:I met a jag who said from my school i will have a great shot... Id love to do jag but id the pay really only 40k? As muchbasni dont want to sell my soul 160k vs 40k is too big of a lifestyle difference as i wouldn't be able to have a family unless my wife made more than me.
technically you only get paid 40k, but then you get like 20kish (depending on your location) in living expenses, plus another 20k a year for paying off student loans (total of 60k over three years). Plus, the 40k is going to go up pretty quickly as you advance in rank. It's not 160k a year, but it's not 40k either.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

AriGoldButNicer

Bronze

Post by AriGoldButNicer » Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:18 am

gilgamesh23 wrote:
technically you only get paid 40k, but then you get like 20kish (depending on your location) in living expenses, plus another 20k a year for paying off student loans (total of 60k over three years). Plus, the 40k is going to go up pretty quickly as you advance in rank. It's not 160k a year, but it's not 40k either.
Thankss-those are sweet benefits.What can you make if you're good at your job but not amazing?

Also, are lay offs possible?

Any lateral to big law if u fall out of love with it?

wannabejag

New

Post by wannabejag » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:56 am

AriGoldButNicer wrote:
gilgamesh23 wrote:
Thankss-those are sweet benefits.What can you make if you're good at your job but not amazing?

Also, are lay offs possible?

Any lateral to big law if u fall out of love with it?
Are you retarded?

DD352

New

Post by DD352 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:00 pm

leedleed wrote:

Can you please tell us the whole application process? I wasn't able to find any info online. Thanks!
Well... I'm not going to spell out the whole process for you. You'll need to do some research on your own, but first thing first, you need to speak with a Marine Officer Selection Officer. I started my application while I was a senior in college, so I got a lot of the stuff out of the way shortly before I graduated. You need to meet with an OSO, submit an absurd amount of paperwork, chase down your doctors/dentists/registrars and get them to fill forms out. It's a 1+ year process.

You'll get sent to MEPS where you'll get a physical screening. Then you need to run PFTs. I was in great shape while in college, and I've slipped a bit now with law school, but I'm still strong and fast. You need to make a lot of sacrifices. Your diet, exercise, and time management should be priorities at all times.

karmakmsa

New

Post by karmakmsa » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:46 pm

Woah, I was selected for 2L Army JAG! But they uh, got my school wrong. Does anyone know when the people who are selected are formally notified?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:53 pm

Congrats!

What were your PFT scores? Grades (or did they not even get a chance to look at your first semester ones)? Do you have any sense of what may have helped you get picked up? Do you have any sense of how competitive the process is with looming budget cuts? How have you been training for OCS?

I'm applying to the March/April board. My PT is coming together, but I still have some work to do to get into the 285 range. Starting to work through the rest of the application now.

DD352

New

Post by DD352 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:17 pm

shock259 wrote:

Congrats!

What were your PFT scores? Grades (or did they not even get a chance to look at your first semester ones)? Do you have any sense of what may have helped you get picked up? Do you have any sense of how competitive the process is with looming budget cuts? How have you been training for OCS?

I'm applying to the March/April board. My PT is coming together, but I still have some work to do to get into the 285 range. Starting to work through the rest of the application now.
269 on a PFT from the summer (20/85/20:30). That was the only one they had on file for me when they submitted my package. I didn't get selected in the fall. I can easily get in the mid/high 280's though. They didn't have my fall semester grades, but I just got them and I'm in the top quartile somewhere. They did have my undergrad grades, which was a 3.55 in engineering. I think the engineering major helped me, in addition to the work experience I had before coming to law school. I've had internships engineering and big law. I also volunteer a lot with mock trial for high school and college kids. Competition is going to get worse, I would think. My OSO told me that they are not taking 2L's. I don't know if that is just for this summer, or if that is for the foreseeable future. That can't be a good sign though. I guess I got extremely lucky.

I've been trying my best to fit a work-out schedule in with class. I didn't lift at all fall semester, partly because I had an AC joint sprain. But now I'm better and I'm starting to put weight and mass back on. Pullups every day. Never running and abs on the same day, so I usually alternate. I used to think I had superior genetics because I never had any health problems, but that just isn't the truth anymore. I'm trying to take it easy and not aggravate any injuries I've had within the past year (AC joint, shin splints, hip flexor strains). Trying to reach a target weight of around 185, but it's hard to eat and even harder to work out now in the second semester.

Get your paperwork done as quickly as possible. If your OSO tells you he needs something, you get started on it as soon as you get the papers, or you get the ball rolling immediately.

Fiction

New

Post by Fiction » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:14 am

edit
Last edited by Fiction on Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

northerniowan

Bronze

Post by northerniowan » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:12 am

DD352 wrote:
leedleed wrote:

Well... I'm not going to spell out the whole process for you. You'll need to do some research on your own, but first thing first, you need to speak with a Marine Officer Selection Officer. I started my application while I was a senior in college, so I got a lot of the stuff out of the way shortly before I graduated. You need to meet with an OSO, submit an absurd amount of paperwork, chase down your doctors/dentists/registrars and get them to fill forms out. It's a 1+ year process.

You'll get sent to MEPS where you'll get a physical screening. Then you need to run PFTs. I was in great shape while in college, and I've slipped a bit now with law school, but I'm still strong and fast. You need to make a lot of sacrifices. Your diet, exercise, and time management should be priorities at all times.
While the process can take a year, you can get it done a lot quicker. I'm going before the April board and have everything done except running the official PFT. I had contacted my OSO in mid December. But then again I didn't have anything to do over Christmas break except work on this lol.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:11 pm

I'm gunning for the April board too and I only contacted my OSO in early January. It's definitely possible, but you'll want to get on it now. The bigger issue may be the PFT stuff. Unless you are in fantastic shape (running), you'll need months to get your run times competitive.

CassiusClay

New

Post by CassiusClay » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:28 pm

Thank you all for all your input and advice, very helpful information. I have combed this thread (pages 1-70 & 90-113) so hopefully I haven't missed it but I am seeking advice on internships. I have mediocre grades and I am really trying to build my resume to set myself apart when I do apply, to show my interest in JAG. I applied to the AF and Navy internship but I know competition is stiff. Is it possible to contact specific base legal division and inquire about internships or possibly a veteran's affair legal department? Any info would be great!

Thanks again

NAOBERJU

New

Post by NAOBERJU » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:38 pm

For anyone who was accepted for the Army 2L internship, have you received the paperwork yet?

miami..

New

Post by miami.. » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:57 pm

Nope nothing in the mail yet, someone told me they were still preparing the letters last Thursday so hopefully sometime this week we'll see something. If not early next week maybe.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ZeroDay

New

Post by ZeroDay » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:46 am

Today I received a letter from JARO about my status as an alternate for AD. They asked me to send a statement of intent by February 15; the statement of intent is just a signed form through which I'll confirm I want to remain an alternate. I've heard that primary selectees received the same deadline by which to confirm they want to move forward in the process. Also, JARO's letter states that they will begin taking alternates (if needed) on February 28. Again I find myself with a month that can't pass quickly enough.

Just preserving this here to give next year's applicants some additional insight.

us.army.jag.hopeful

New

Post by us.army.jag.hopeful » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:00 am

ZeroDay wrote:Today I received a letter from JARO about my status as an alternate for AD. They asked me to send a statement of intent by February 15; the statement of intent is just a signed form through which I'll confirm I want to remain an alternate. I've heard that primary selectees received the same deadline by which to confirm they want to move forward in the process. Also, JARO's letter states that they will begin taking alternates (if needed) on February 28. Again I find myself with a month that can't pass quickly enough.

Just preserving this here to give next year's applicants some additional insight.

Hey ZeroDay, did you get the letter in the mail or email? I'm also an alternate, but did not receive anything yet. Thanks! Good Luck!

BlinkNC

New

Post by BlinkNC » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:29 am

Applying next fall to the USN JAG. So far I have:

Top 5%
Good letters of Rec (USN Captain in JAG, Crim Law Prof)

What else should I look at getting solidified before the application? Internship is not possible this summer, sadly.

Paichka

Bronze

Post by Paichka » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:52 am

BlinkNC wrote:Applying next fall to the USN JAG. So far I have:

Top 5%
Good letters of Rec (USN Captain in JAG, Crim Law Prof)

What else should I look at getting solidified before the application? Internship is not possible this summer, sadly.
Are you near a military base, particularly a Navy one? I don't know how amenable Navy judges are to this, but one thing that might be helpful is to try to intern during the school year. I did it for credit my 2L year (with an Army trial judge), and several of my friends have as well. That may demonstrate a commitment to serve, and in any case, you could get a strong LOR out of it. Just a thought. Obviously if you aren't in DC or near a military base, that won't be an option.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

southernboy

Bronze

Post by southernboy » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:22 pm

For those of you interested in Marine Corps JAG, I went through OCS during the summer after my 1L year and commissioned as a 2nd Lt. I will currently be doing a JAG internship this coming summer. If anyone has questions about the PLC law program, just ask away. Since I haven't graduated from law school yet, I cant answer many questions about life as a Marine JAG. However, I can answer any questions pertaining to selection criteria, OCS, and summer internships

Patrick Bateman

Silver

Post by Patrick Bateman » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:31 pm

CassiusClay wrote:Thank you all for all your input and advice, very helpful information. I have combed this thread (pages 1-70 & 90-113) so hopefully I haven't missed it but I am seeking advice on internships. I have mediocre grades and I am really trying to build my resume to set myself apart when I do apply, to show my interest in JAG. I applied to the AF and Navy internship but I know competition is stiff. Is it possible to contact specific base legal division and inquire about internships or possibly a veteran's affair legal department? Any info would be great!

Thanks again
I have to ask, any reason for skipping pages 71-89?

I know I posted on this exact issue fairly recently (probably within the last 10 pages). If you are not selected for the AF Internship Program you can absolutely contact a AFB Legal Office and inquire about them taking you on as a volunteer intern. I saw this done a few times at my previous assignment. Most Legal Offices will have a JAG that handles all the recruiting duties - I would contact him/her and go from there.

txlaw

New

Post by txlaw » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:41 am

has anyone heard back from the AF about summer internships yet? or know when we might get a decision? I know the posting hasn't closed yet, but I thought maybe they would have already made their decisions about the January 27th group. (...basically I'm just trying to figure out if not hearing anything means I've been rejected)

holajerin

New

Post by holajerin » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:13 pm

txlaw wrote:has anyone heard back from the AF about summer internships yet? or know when we might get a decision? I know the posting hasn't closed yet, but I thought maybe they would have already made their decisions about the January 27th group. (...basically I'm just trying to figure out if not hearing anything means I've been rejected)
Hey txlaw, I spoke with an AF JAGC representative at a career fair recently, and it sounds like they won't be making any decisions until some time in March. So, we've all got a long wait ahead.

Also, for anyone who applied for a Navy internship, it sounds like decisions should be out by the end of Feb.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”