Military Law Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
tim54td

New

Re: Military Law

Post by tim54td » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:22 pm

DaveCA wrote:
daddymike wrote:Has any applicant received a decision on Navy, yet?
Not yet. Drove me nuts all the way through finals.
I'm waiting too. Haven't heard anything.

daddymike

New

Post by daddymike » Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:06 pm

Does anyone know if they end up contacting the "winners" by phone or email, or do we simply check the website for that status change? Anyway, glad to see I'm not the only one eagerly waiting for results...

Rocky Estoppel

Bronze

Post by Rocky Estoppel » Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:34 pm

Still waiting on the Navy results here too. 3rd application. I think in the past sometimes they contacted those that were professionally recommended by phone but I have heard of some that never were contacted by phone and still were recommended.

I think that ever since the new changes to the interviewing format and the number of interviews that you do (only one now, good for 2 years) that some things have changed and it's possible that the way they contact you has changed too. I don't know.

tim54td

New

Post by tim54td » Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:54 pm

Well, it's 8 weeks this friday, so I'm guessing that's the latest that we'll find out.

I have no idea how they contact people, whether or not they're professionally recommended. The Navy JAG website only says that when we login it will say professionally recommended or not, instead of pending. It also says those recommended will be contacted by a recruiter at a later time.

So, i've just been looking at OJAG site repeatedly.

Fed_Atty

Bronze

Post by Fed_Atty » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:58 pm

When I got selected for Navy JAG, all that happened was that the website status changed

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

DaveCA

New

Post by DaveCA » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:43 pm

NavyJAG1 wrote:When I got selected for Navy JAG, all that happened was that the website status changed
That's exactly what I needed to hear, I'll stop obsessively checking my email

intervenient

New

Post by intervenient » Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:01 am

Hey guys, I've been reading this thread for the last few hours and there is so much good information here. I love it!

Now for a little more personal case: I'm currently and undergrad math major at a top 40 institution. I plan to either go get my PhD, or go to law school after I graduate (I'm still not married to math yet though, probably not a good sign for a PhD prospective). If I do law, I would very much like to follow my family tradition and join the Navy (I'd be the 3rd or 4th generation on my father's side), and become a JAG. I don't think there is anything more honorable than serving your country, and I'd love to have the opportunity. It'd also be the least I could do for riding the coattails of my father's GI Bill :)

However, there are some dampeners on my prospects, which are understandable. Namely, I'm sure the program is terribly competitive, and, with the ever growing cost of law school, that I'd forever be in student debt. However, if I couldn't be a JAG or at the very least a public defender, I don't seem me ever becoming a lawyer, unless it'd be a midsized firm with decent hours. This perhaps played the biggest impact on my future

Can anyone give me some info on these concerns and any others I should be aware of?

Negotiator

New

Post by Negotiator » Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:13 am

Checking in post (or should I say well-post) interview from November w/USAF. Colonel "very impressed" with LORs, said at the wrapup that applicants he'd had got dinged who had only one major gap and that my application didn't seem to have any. Knowledge of the odds is keeping me from getting optimistic, but it didn't feel like I was getting a bad review. Fingers crossed on getting the phone call as opposed to the letter.

daddymike

New

Post by daddymike » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:44 am

^^^ As I understand it, Air Force does have a practice of calling you if accepted, but I was unsure about Navy.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ArmyOfficer

New

Post by ArmyOfficer » Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:54 am

Anyone else waiting on the Army FLEP results? Have any idea when they are going to be released?

gwrjones

New

Post by gwrjones » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:16 am

@ArmyOfficer,

Last year the results were posted on JAGCNET on 22DEC10, so should be anytime now.

Deutschebag

New

Post by Deutschebag » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:57 pm

Longtime lurker on this thread - figured as I finished compiling all of my documentation I would go ahead and finally register. I'm working on applications to the Air Force OYCP, Navy student appointments, and Army direct appointments (just getting all the data now even though the Army doesn't accept until 3L).

This might be a silly question that has already been answered, but is there a cap to the Navy letters of recommendation? Under the Air Force they list no more than 5, and the Army lists no more than 4 - but the Navy simply says a minimum of three and I can't seem to find any indication of a maximum amount.

Anyone know?

Fed_Atty

Bronze

Post by Fed_Atty » Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:27 pm

Deutschebag wrote:Longtime lurker on this thread - figured as I finished compiling all of my documentation I would go ahead and finally register. I'm working on applications to the Air Force OYCP, Navy student appointments, and Army direct appointments (just getting all the data now even though the Army doesn't accept until 3L).

This might be a silly question that has already been answered, but is there a cap to the Navy letters of recommendation? Under the Air Force they list no more than 5, and the Army lists no more than 4 - but the Navy simply says a minimum of three and I can't seem to find any indication of a maximum amount.

Anyone know?
My understanding is that the system will let you upload as many as you want. I imagine the selection board would read a maximum of 5 though. That is just my personal opinion, you can always call or e-mail the accessions officer for better guidance. Keep in mind that the quality of the letters is far more important than the quantity. Try to find people who know you really well and are good writers.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ArmyOfficer

New

Post by ArmyOfficer » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:02 pm

Army FLEP results came out today. I got in. Any suggestions on what law schools I should aim for?

merlin

New

Post by merlin » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:00 pm

To anyone wondering about hiring timelines - I received an offer from Air Force JAG (DAP) today via phone.

CFC_Essien

New

Post by CFC_Essien » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:57 pm

Congrats, Merlin. Eagerly awaiting my call...whenever that may be...

howell

Silver

Post by howell » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:23 pm

merlin wrote:To anyone wondering about hiring timelines - I received an offer from Air Force JAG (DAP) today via phone.
Congratulations! Thanks for letting us know.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

daddymike

New

Post by daddymike » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:21 am

ArmyOfficer wrote:Army FLEP results came out today. I got in. Any suggestions on what law schools I should aim for?
Holy crap. :shock: Congrats! FLEP is quite selective...

daddymike

New

Post by daddymike » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:22 am

merlin wrote:To anyone wondering about hiring timelines - I received an offer from Air Force JAG (DAP) today via phone.
Congrats!

Patrick Bateman

Silver

Post by Patrick Bateman » Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:45 pm

Late to the game because I am on leave but AF DAP selection results for the Dec board have been posted.

wordtoyourmother12

New

Post by wordtoyourmother12 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:07 pm

So if we haven't received a call it's safe to assume we weren't picked up for AF DAP?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Patrick Bateman

Silver

Post by Patrick Bateman » Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:41 pm

wordtoyourmother12 wrote:So if we haven't received a call it's safe to assume we weren't picked up for AF DAP?
Not necessarily. A lot of military personnel are on leave over the next two weeks - it is possible the SJA may be out of pocket.

daddymike

New

Post by daddymike » Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:53 pm

Patrick Bateman wrote:Late to the game because I am on leave but AF DAP selection results for the Dec board have been posted.
Thanks for the info. Are these results publicly posted anywhere? If so, could you provide us with a link?

Patrick Bateman

Silver

Post by Patrick Bateman » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:30 pm

daddymike wrote:
Patrick Bateman wrote:Late to the game because I am on leave but AF DAP selection results for the Dec board have been posted.
Thanks for the info. Are these results publicly posted anywhere? If so, could you provide us with a link?
AF does not post the selection list publicly. It is on a secure site that only JAG personnel can access.

daddymike

New

Post by daddymike » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:33 pm

Patrick Bateman wrote:
daddymike wrote:
AF does not post the selection list publicly. It is on a secure site that only JAG personnel can access.

Gotcha, thanks for the clarification.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”