Military Law

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
ReelectClayDavis
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:46 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby ReelectClayDavis » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:45 pm

Went through the Navy JAG active duty interview this month, anyone else do it recently? Not sure what to make of the experience, seemed like they were looking for very specific answers to the questions, different from other law and other JAG-service interviews which seemed a lot more conversational.

I haven't found anything about the Navy's interviews elsewhere online or within the recent pages of thread, curious to hear other people's reactions if you have them.

User avatar
prezidentv8
Posts: 2821
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:33 am

Re: Military Law

Postby prezidentv8 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:57 am

ReelectClayDavis wrote:Went through the Navy JAG active duty interview this month, anyone else do it recently? Not sure what to make of the experience, seemed like they were looking for very specific answers to the questions, different from other law and other JAG-service interviews which seemed a lot more conversational.

I haven't found anything about the Navy's interviews elsewhere online or within the recent pages of thread, curious to hear other people's reactions if you have them.


Yeah it was definitely a completely different type of interview.

shock259
Posts: 1737
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:30 am

Re: Military Law

Postby shock259 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:02 pm

Do either of you have any more specific advice? I'm not due up for that interview in a while, but I would love any help. Do you remember any questions by any chance?

User avatar
CelticLily
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:27 am

Re: Military Law

Postby CelticLily » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:20 pm

+1, what made the interview so different?

User avatar
Rocky Estoppel
Posts: 283
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:41 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby Rocky Estoppel » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:15 pm

I did the Navy Interview last year. We aren't allowed to discuss the questions that were asked in the interview. However, I can tell you that the type of questions asked will place you in a situation in which you will have to discuss how you would solve a real life problem/dilemma. They are definitely looking for certain kinds of responses to these questions.

I would suspect the best way to prepare for an interview like this is to know and expect what the Navy in particular is looking for in an answer. But take that with a grain of salt because I have not been selected yet (still applying in my 3L year).

The good (and maybe bad) news about the interview is that it is good for a couple of years I believe, so you do not have to interview again in your 3L year to apply again.

jess8328
Posts: 123
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:53 am

Re: Military Law

Postby jess8328 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:26 pm

I thought the Navy interview was very awkward. There was no back and forth like in a normal interview/conversation, but just a series of questions with no responses. Hard to gauge when you've said enough or too much.

doubled99
Posts: 57
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:15 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby doubled99 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:15 pm

How long was the interview?

shock259
Posts: 1737
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:30 am

Re: Military Law

Postby shock259 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:37 pm

Thanks guys!

Negotiator
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:49 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby Negotiator » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:47 pm

Bit of an off-beat story here.

T1 (T2 before US News lumped the top hundred schools together to feel better about themselves), 3.1GPA, moot court, two uncles served USAF (MAJ and CPT), father USMC 1LT...
Graduated 2010.

Applied USAF throughout 3L, non-selected. The application spike from the economy hitting probably did not help. After the last go-around I decided to take a year to focus on learning the trade and give it one last shot. I've managed a successful if modest solo practice in the meantime. When you outprepare opposing counsel so thoroughly that he refers conflict work your way after a motion hearing, I take it as a sign I'm doing something right.

At the same time, I'm thoroughly convinced private practice is not where I want to be long term, at least not without the right opportunity presenting itself. There are a lot of honest and decent people working as private attorneys, who do things the right way. There are also a lot of people who'll take cases they're in no way competent to handle, inflate their time, or promise more than they can offer to get a quick score. As a guy starting out, I've run into the latter a lot more than the former, and I won't do the same stuff to compete in the market. It may be an antiquated concept, but you do it right or you don't do it at all.

I know that coming in after graduation is unconventional, but how can I maximize my chances on this one?

Groundie
Posts: 69
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:13 am

Re: Military Law

Postby Groundie » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:54 pm

AF And Army are definitely the best choices for people who have already graduated from law school, since the Navy gets most of their accessions through the student program. Keep applying to AF DAP. I'm debating whether or not to continue in that vein myself.

Right now I'm applying for Army with 3.0 GPA, moot court, good work experience, 2nd grad degree in relevant field, so we'll see.

User avatar
prezidentv8
Posts: 2821
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:33 am

Re: Military Law

Postby prezidentv8 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:02 am

jess8328 wrote:I thought the Navy interview was very awkward. There was no back and forth like in a normal interview/conversation, but just a series of questions with no responses. Hard to gauge when you've said enough or too much.


This is about accurate.

jess8328
Posts: 123
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:53 am

Re: Military Law

Postby jess8328 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:19 pm

Negotiator wrote:Bit of an off-beat story here.

T1 (T2 before US News lumped the top hundred schools together to feel better about themselves), 3.1GPA, moot court, two uncles served USAF (MAJ and CPT), father USMC 1LT...
Graduated 2010.

Applied USAF throughout 3L, non-selected. The application spike from the economy hitting probably did not help. After the last go-around I decided to take a year to focus on learning the trade and give it one last shot. I've managed a successful if modest solo practice in the meantime. When you outprepare opposing counsel so thoroughly that he refers conflict work your way after a motion hearing, I take it as a sign I'm doing something right.

At the same time, I'm thoroughly convinced private practice is not where I want to be long term, at least not without the right opportunity presenting itself. There are a lot of honest and decent people working as private attorneys, who do things the right way. There are also a lot of people who'll take cases they're in no way competent to handle, inflate their time, or promise more than they can offer to get a quick score. As a guy starting out, I've run into the latter a lot more than the former, and I won't do the same stuff to compete in the market. It may be an antiquated concept, but you do it right or you don't do it at all.

I know that coming in after graduation is unconventional, but how can I maximize my chances on this one?


Have you considered Army Reserve or National Guard? Active duty boards are so competitive right now, they shouldn't be overlooked.

shock259
Posts: 1737
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:30 am

Re: Military Law

Postby shock259 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:20 pm

Funny enough, the Navy JAG recruiters were on my campus today. They spoke a bit about the interview process. Apparently they recently redid the whole thing because it varied too much between interviewers. In her words, some interviewers "talked about sports" and some "grilled on civil procedure." So they had a university help them with concocting a new, uniform interview process.

What it is now is about 6 "scenario-based" questions that the interviewer puts to the students. The interviewers are specifically trained to not react to the interviewee's response, either verbal or non-verbal. They are simply supposed to grade your response on their rubric, and ask you the next question once you finish. They admitted it is rather off-putting for a lot of interviewees because there is no give-and-take like you would normally see in an interview.

Anyway, good news (for me) is that the Navy JAG 1L summer internship is still open this summer, unlike the Army one.

mrh769
Posts: 30
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:46 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby mrh769 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:30 pm

Does anyone know how the Air Force results go out? Is it by phone call or letter? I've heard different information, from different sources, and am just trying to figure it out. Thanks!

CFC_Essien
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:06 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby CFC_Essien » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:36 pm

I read from another message board the October AF selection list was posted today! I'm too afraid too look, however. Has anyone else heard this?

Best of luck to everyone.

mrh769
Posts: 30
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:46 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby mrh769 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:05 pm

CFC_Essien wrote:I read from another message board the October AF selection list was posted today! I'm too afraid too look, however. Has anyone else heard this?

Best of luck to everyone.


I read that, as well. However, on the official Air Force Facebook page, someone asked just yesterday about results and they replied that they won't be out until November. So, I would tend to believe that page. As far as I know, the Air Force doesn't publicly list their selections.

User avatar
Patrick Bateman
Posts: 595
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:41 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby Patrick Bateman » Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:26 pm

mrh769 wrote:Does anyone know how the Air Force results go out? Is it by phone call or letter? I've heard different information, from different sources, and am just trying to figure it out. Thanks!


The Air Force JAG DAP selection list for the Oct Board was posted yesterday morning. Those selected will receive a phone call from the interviewing SJA. Non-selects will receive a letter in the mail.

The selection is not posted publicly - only JAG Corps personnel have access.

mrh769
Posts: 30
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:46 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby mrh769 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:43 pm

Patrick Bateman wrote:
mrh769 wrote:Does anyone know how the Air Force results go out? Is it by phone call or letter? I've heard different information, from different sources, and am just trying to figure it out. Thanks!


The Air Force JAG DAP selection list for the Oct Board was posted yesterday morning. Those selected will receive a phone call from the interviewing SJA. Non-selects will receive a letter in the mail.

The selection is not posted publicly - only JAG Corps personnel have access.[/quote

Thanks for clearing that up!

CFC_Essien
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:06 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby CFC_Essien » Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:07 am

Thanks for clearing that up -- again, best of luck to everyone!

mrh769
Posts: 30
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:46 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby mrh769 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:49 am

Just wanted to let everyone know.....I called the 800-JAG-USAF number, because my husband is certain that they told him October board results would come in the form of a letter. They did indeed confirm that they are sending out letters, and not making phone calls. All this conflicting information is driving me crazy =)

Anyway, I don't know if the process has recently changed, but I'm personally not going to worry about a phone call, and just wait for the letter. This information may or may not help ease your mind, but I just wanted to pass the information along.

User avatar
Patrick Bateman
Posts: 595
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:41 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby Patrick Bateman » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:46 am

mrh769 wrote:Just wanted to let everyone know.....I called the 800-JAG-USAF number, because my husband is certain that they told him October board results would come in the form of a letter. They did indeed confirm that they are sending out letters, and not making phone calls. All this conflicting information is driving me crazy =)

Anyway, I don't know if the process has recently changed, but I'm personally not going to worry about a phone call, and just wait for the letter. This information may or may not help ease your mind, but I just wanted to pass the information along.


The standard practice had always been "selects - phone call; non-selects - letter." That said, they did just reboot our accessions process so they might have changed that as well. My apologies if my post was off.

mrh769
Posts: 30
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:46 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby mrh769 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:11 pm

Patrick Bateman wrote:
mrh769 wrote:Just wanted to let everyone know.....I called the 800-JAG-USAF number, because my husband is certain that they told him October board results would come in the form of a letter. They did indeed confirm that they are sending out letters, and not making phone calls. All this conflicting information is driving me crazy =)

Anyway, I don't know if the process has recently changed, but I'm personally not going to worry about a phone call, and just wait for the letter. This information may or may not help ease your mind, but I just wanted to pass the information along.


The standard practice had always been "selects - phone call; non-selects - letter." That said, they did just reboot our accessions process so they might have changed that as well. My apologies if my post was off.


I have no idea what's the correct information. As for now, I'll choose to believe the letter for my own sanity. However, if anyone else could confirm what I was told, that would be great! :mrgreen:

jrb194
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:57 am

Re: Military Law

Postby jrb194 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:31 pm

...
Last edited by jrb194 on Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CFC_Essien
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:06 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby CFC_Essien » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:48 pm

Got the mail - no call, no letter. Plus side: still in the running! We should be getting our bar results soon, as well (Massachusetts) -- could be a depressing or exciting Fall!

User avatar
Patrick Bateman
Posts: 595
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:41 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby Patrick Bateman » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:57 pm

jrb194 wrote:Question - I'm considering going the JAG route in the Marines. Does anyone know if any schools have LRAP programs that JAG lawyers qualify for? Isn't there a federal government loan repayment program too? Do Jag lawyers qualify for this?


In that our W-2 income is comparatively low, JAGs usually qualify for LRAP programs. My law school has been outstanding with helping me out with LRAP. That said, LRAP varies widely school by school, so you will have to contact whatever school are looking at or are presently enrolled.

The College Cost Reduction Act will forgive any Federal Loans after 10 years of service: http://www.finaid.org/loans/publicservice.phtml

JAGs qualify for CCRA - due to our income, we also can repay under Income Based Repayment and have comparatively lower monthly payments as we inch toward the 10 year mark.

Both the Air Force and Army have loan forgiveness programs in place though I would be shocked if they survive the coming rounds of budget cut.s




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.