Military Law

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
jess8328
Posts: 123
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:53 am

Re: Military Law

Postby jess8328 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:03 am

The MarineOCS.com forum has a lot of good JAG info.

Kobe_Teeth
Posts: 964
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:40 am

Re: Military Law

Postby Kobe_Teeth » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:28 am

Anyone think JAG apps will be down this year as people begin to perceive progress in the economy? (regardless of whether its true)

User avatar
SocalPizza
Posts: 58
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:40 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby SocalPizza » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:49 am

Kobe_Teeth wrote:Anyone think JAG apps will be down this year as people begin to perceive progress in the economy? (regardless of whether its true)


No.

EDIT: It's also time to update your avatar. 5 rings.

Kobe_Teeth
Posts: 964
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:40 am

Re: Military Law

Postby Kobe_Teeth » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:49 pm

SocalPizza wrote:
Kobe_Teeth wrote:Anyone think JAG apps will be down this year as people begin to perceive progress in the economy? (regardless of whether its true)


No.

EDIT: It's also time to update your avatar. 5 rings.


Whoa. Zing. You got me there... :roll:

User avatar
jessedvhs
Posts: 114
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:24 am

Re: Military Law

Postby jessedvhs » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:59 pm

Kilotango wrote:Hahaha believe it or not... I've experienced some of that. Granted it was only 2 weeks. I was in the NROTC here in college, till I found out that you can't go to law school through ROTC and dropped out. We had our "indoc" weeks in VA Beach... Hottest place in the world to me. Highlight of the week had to be waking up at 0430 to the sound of yelling, doing PT and calisthenics then trying to fit 8 guys into a shower with 3 shower heads. Worst part was... we were pretty sure these two kids were a little... different. They always managed to end up in my showering group too... Sucked.

Want to know the weirdest part of all? I miss being yelled at, doing O-Course stuff with a drill sergeant breathing down my back and 3 mile runs to the beach. It's part of the reason why I might go Army JAG. Not sure though. Going through Airborne school and possibly Ranger school... Sounds amazing.



Earn the tab.

User avatar
SocalPizza
Posts: 58
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:40 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby SocalPizza » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:40 pm

Kobe_Teeth wrote:
SocalPizza wrote:
Kobe_Teeth wrote:Anyone think JAG apps will be down this year as people begin to perceive progress in the economy? (regardless of whether its true)


No.

EDIT: It's also time to update your avatar. 5 rings.


Whoa. Zing. You got me there... :roll:


No zings intended. Although you may want to hold off on updating that avatar. Otherwise you'll have to change it again in June.


umassalpha
Posts: 32
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:55 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby umassalpha » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:47 pm

Anyone else submitting (or already submitted) their Army App this weekend? I'm a second-time-around-er, just tweaking my personal statement!

jess8328
Posts: 123
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:53 am

Re: Military Law

Postby jess8328 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:53 pm

umassalpha wrote:Anyone else submitting (or already submitted) their Army App this weekend? I'm a second-time-around-er, just tweaking my personal statement!



I'm going to submit tonight or tomorrow, just need to give my application one more look over. I'm also a second-time-around-er. Hopefully we're luckier this time!

When do you think we'll hear? Looking back through this thread, people heard back on Friday April 2nd last year. That's a really quick turnaround. I hope it's the same this year. The 2+ month wait for the November board killed me.

umassalpha
Posts: 32
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:55 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby umassalpha » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:27 pm

jess8328 wrote:
umassalpha wrote:Anyone else submitting (or already submitted) their Army App this weekend? I'm a second-time-around-er, just tweaking my personal statement!



I'm going to submit tonight or tomorrow, just need to give my application one more look over. I'm also a second-time-around-er. Hopefully we're luckier this time!

When do you think we'll hear? Looking back through this thread, people heard back on Friday April 2nd last year. That's a really quick turnaround. I hope it's the same this year. The 2+ month wait for the November board killed me.


No idea really, I've just been telling people I'll probably know in May just to be safe! Did you rewrite your personal statement. I've been hashing out if I should rewrite or edit severely.

jess8328
Posts: 123
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:53 am

Re: Military Law

Postby jess8328 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:02 pm

umassalpha wrote: No idea really, I've just been telling people I'll probably know in May just to be safe! Did you rewrite your personal statement. I've been hashing out if I should rewrite or edit severely.


I ended up keeping it mostly the same, just tweaked a couple sentences here and there.

User avatar
Esquire
Posts: 145
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:45 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby Esquire » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:11 pm

Best of luck to you guys.

Anyone still here who was selected on a board prior to Army Fall 2010? I'm wondering what the timeline is like. Please PM me if you'd rather not post. Perhaps any other branch would have insight as well, since it's all just being commissioned.

Received letter asking for intent
Filled out letter of intent, sent it back
Name currently being scrolled by Congress

Now what? And how long? What about the medical stuff? Security stuff?

JAGQUEST
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:34 pm

Alternates and the scrolling process

Postby JAGQUEST » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:47 pm

Have any people, who were selected as Alternates, this last accession board been called or emailed with an indication that you are "currently being scrolled to congress"? I am not sure what this means...or if all alternates have been included in this process.

any insight provided is much appreciated.

jess8328
Posts: 123
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:53 am

Re: Military Law

Postby jess8328 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:15 pm

Just submitted the Army Active Duty application. *crosses fingers* Good luck everyone!

umassalpha
Posts: 32
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:55 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby umassalpha » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:09 pm

Good luck Jess! Submitting mine this weekend. Another 8 weeks of waiting (or more) is beholden to us.

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: Military Law

Postby JazzOne » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:12 pm

Every time this thread pops up in my "view your posts" [Military Law], I keep hoping we're talking about military history. Anyone read MHQ, out there?

User avatar
ashkenazy
Posts: 47
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:32 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby ashkenazy » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:30 pm

Just got the call. I'm in at GLP! (The 2-year AF ROTC track).

Thank you to everyone who has added valuable information to this forum! Your help was truly invaluable.

Best wishes to all other applicants!
Last edited by ashkenazy on Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

hasmith
Posts: 93
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:56 am

Re: Military Law

Postby hasmith » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:41 pm

ashkenazy wrote:Just got the call. I'm in at GLP! (The 2-year AF ROTC track).

Thank you to everyone who has added valuable information to this forum! Your help has truly invaluable.

Best wishes to all other applicants!


Congrats.

jess8328
Posts: 123
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:53 am

Re: Military Law

Postby jess8328 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:48 pm

umassalpha wrote:Good luck Jess! Submitting mine this weekend. Another 8 weeks of waiting (or more) is beholden to us.


I'm counting on finding out in early April like last year. I'm predicting that April 2nd will be the day.

mrh769
Posts: 30
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:46 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby mrh769 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:53 pm

see below
Last edited by mrh769 on Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

umassalpha
Posts: 32
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:55 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby umassalpha » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:07 pm

Anddddddddddddddddd army jag app submitted.

mrh769
Posts: 30
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:46 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby mrh769 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:06 pm

Hi everyone!

My husband is very interested in JAG Corps, and has already applied & been interviewed for the Navy. Being a practicing attorney, he doesn't have a lot time to do too much research so I've been helping him out. I'm very new to this forum and have a few questions. I apologize if these have been answered already, as this is a very long forum:

1. What is the main type of work that the Air Force does, and how does it compare to the Navy?

2. Does anyone know the approximate time that the Navy board expects to meet, and if there is any way of finding out in the next few weeks?

3. Regarding the new Navy interviews, are the interviewers part of the selection board or do they just report to the selection board?

4. Any other information or advice?

Thanks so much in advance for all of your time and answers. I've been searching for a while on various forums and sites, and I'm having trouble finding first hand information!

jess8328
Posts: 123
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:53 am

Re: Military Law

Postby jess8328 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:09 pm

umassalpha wrote:Anddddddddddddddddd army jag app submitted.


Good luck!

hasmith
Posts: 93
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:56 am

Re: Military Law

Postby hasmith » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:51 pm

mrh769 wrote:Hi everyone!

My husband is very interested in JAG Corps, and has already applied & been interviewed for the Navy. Being a practicing attorney, he doesn't have a lot time to do too much research so I've been helping him out. I'm very new to this forum and have a few questions. I apologize if these have been answered already, as this is a very long forum:

1. What is the main type of work that the Air Force does, and how does it compare to the Navy?

2. Does anyone know the approximate time that the Navy board expects to meet, and if there is any way of finding out in the next few weeks?

3. Regarding the new Navy interviews, are the interviewers part of the selection board or do they just report to the selection board?

4. Any other information or advice?





I was selected for the Navy JAG corps, but in the student program, not the direct appointment program which your husband would be applying to.

The interviewers are not members of the selection board.

Regarding the timing of the boards, if you check out the Navy JAG site http://www.jag.navy.mil and follow the link to careers, there is contact information for the detailers. They can provide the information on the board meetings. The student program board meets twice a year, but there may be only one direct appointment board.

The direct appointment program is more competitive than the student program. It is important to get across why the applicant wants JAG, and emphasize that it is not a fall back option.

Overall, the advice I would give is to try to find something to set you apart. Unlike big firm jobs there is no magical formula for success.

mrh769
Posts: 30
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:46 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby mrh769 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:21 pm

hasmith wrote:
mrh769 wrote:Hi everyone!

My husband is very interested in JAG Corps, and has already applied & been interviewed for the Navy. Being a practicing attorney, he doesn't have a lot time to do too much research so I've been helping him out. I'm very new to this forum and have a few questions. I apologize if these have been answered already, as this is a very long forum:

1. What is the main type of work that the Air Force does, and how does it compare to the Navy?

2. Does anyone know the approximate time that the Navy board expects to meet, and if there is any way of finding out in the next few weeks?

3. Regarding the new Navy interviews, are the interviewers part of the selection board or do they just report to the selection board?

4. Any other information or advice?





I was selected for the Navy JAG corps, but in the student program, not the direct appointment program which your husband would be applying to.

The interviewers are not members of the selection board.

Regarding the timing of the boards, if you check out the Navy JAG site http://www.jag.navy.mil and follow the link to careers, there is contact information for the detailers. They can provide the information on the board meetings. The student program board meets twice a year, but there may be only one direct appointment board.

The direct appointment program is more competitive than the student program. It is important to get across why the applicant wants JAG, and emphasize that it is not a fall back option.

Overall, the advice I would give is to try to find something to set you apart. Unlike big firm jobs there is no magical formula for success.


Thanks so much for the information and reply! It's definitely not a fall back option, as he wants to do this as a career. So we'd be in for the long haul. I'm hoping that the fact that he currently practicing, and not unemployed just trying to get any job, will help. He also has prior military experience (army), so hopefully that will help as well. He felt as though his interview went very well, so it's just a waiting game at this point.

So, based on what you said...do you know if the Direct Appointment board is a whole different group of people?

Also, any idea on what makes the Air Force different, as far as work is concerned? At this point, there is not a high interest there, but just thought I'd ask.

Thanks again!




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.