Military Law

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Groundie
Posts: 69
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:13 am

Re: Military Law

Postby Groundie » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:35 am

Patrick Bateman wrote:
waingro wrote:Any idea as to whether the Feb AF board is less competitive than the others? The recruiter with whom I spoke gave me that impression.


Yes. 6% will be selected instead of the usual 4% or 5%.

Just kidding. There is not an easy board out there, given that the number of applicants has yet to abate and that there are a fixed number of slots each year. Also consider a still shitty economy, continued popularity and increased DVD sales of the classic CBS series "JAG," etc.



Lol. I never saw "A Few Good Men" until my JAG Paralegal friend showed me. He's now an Apache pilot. Probably smarter than us wannabe-JAGs, at least in one sense.

MilotheCloud
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:14 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby MilotheCloud » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:19 pm

Still no Army 2L internship results yet.

I think I've checked the jagnet page a few thousand times in the past two weeks.

User avatar
Esquire
Posts: 145
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:45 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby Esquire » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:33 pm

Does anyone think it would be beneficial if we rebooted this thread? Meaning, if someone were to create a new thread where the OP is filled with application info, general wisdom, experiences, point of contacts on this forum, etc. for each branch. That way, users won't have to comb through an entire thread. Of course, we'd always have this thread as an additional reference.

User avatar
howell
Posts: 502
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:57 am

Re: Military Law

Postby howell » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:37 pm

Esquire wrote:Does anyone think it would be beneficial if we rebooted this thread? Meaning, if someone were to create a new thread where the OP is filled with application info, general wisdom, experiences, point of contacts on this forum, etc. for each branch. That way, users won't have to comb through an entire thread. Of course, we'd always have this thread as an additional reference.


That would be extremely helpful. The nature of the content would lend itself to a wiki as well. 70+ pages is a lot to run through just so you're not told to read the thread. I've read through it several times looking for answers.

User avatar
stintez
Posts: 307
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:55 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby stintez » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:39 pm

howell wrote:
Esquire wrote:Does anyone think it would be beneficial if we rebooted this thread? Meaning, if someone were to create a new thread where the OP is filled with application info, general wisdom, experiences, point of contacts on this forum, etc. for each branch. That way, users won't have to comb through an entire thread. Of course, we'd always have this thread as an additional reference.


That would be extremely helpful. The nature of the content would lend itself to a wiki as well. 70+ pages is a lot to run through just so you're not told to read the thread. I've read through it several times looking for answers.

+1

User avatar
Esquire
Posts: 145
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:45 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby Esquire » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:50 pm

I don't mind contributing to a wiki or new thread. A wiki would be far preferable but I'm not sure TLS lends itself well to that. I'll PM Ken.

sylvernight
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:19 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby sylvernight » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:57 pm

howell wrote:
Esquire wrote:Does anyone think it would be beneficial if we rebooted this thread? Meaning, if someone were to create a new thread where the OP is filled with application info, general wisdom, experiences, point of contacts on this forum, etc. for each branch. That way, users won't have to comb through an entire thread. Of course, we'd always have this thread as an additional reference.


That would be extremely helpful. The nature of the content would lend itself to a wiki as well. 70+ pages is a lot to run through just so you're not told to read the thread. I've read through it several times looking for answers.


+1

Anyone willing to do this?

MilotheCloud
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:14 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby MilotheCloud » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:36 am

jag2L wrote:
stevesmith11 wrote:Anybody have any clue when the 2L internship results will come out?


The results came out on January 15 of last year, so my best guess, based on the corresponding date this year, is that the results could be out this Friday, January 14. Good luck!


Maybe the 21st?

waingro
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:33 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby waingro » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:49 pm

Is there an online resource that announces AF JAG board results?

User avatar
Patrick Bateman
Posts: 595
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:41 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby Patrick Bateman » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:06 pm

waingro wrote:Is there an online resource that announces AF JAG board results?


Not for you civilian types. USAF does not have the JARO type website where everything is public.

If you lurk around AirForceOTS they generally have an AD JAG that will post when the results go up, but our practice has been not to post the actual names, as they are held on a secure site that only JAG Corps members can access.

User avatar
ashkenazy
Posts: 47
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:32 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby ashkenazy » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:04 pm

From the U.S. Air Force JAG Recruiting Facebook page:

"The April Direct Appointment Program (DAP) Board has been canceled. The next DAP Board will be held in June. Interviews and application materials should be submitted to a Staff Judge Advocate at a base legal office no later than 15 May 2011."

User avatar
joemoviebuff
Posts: 788
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:51 am

Re: Military Law

Postby joemoviebuff » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:09 pm

ashkenazy wrote:From the U.S. Air Force JAG Recruiting Facebook page:

"The April Direct Appointment Program (DAP) Board has been canceled. The next DAP Board will be held in June. Interviews and application materials should be submitted to a Staff Judge Advocate at a base legal office no later than 15 May 2011."


Wow. Why would they do that?

Baylan
Posts: 356
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:26 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby Baylan » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:57 pm

joemoviebuff wrote:
ashkenazy wrote:From the U.S. Air Force JAG Recruiting Facebook page:

"The April Direct Appointment Program (DAP) Board has been canceled. The next DAP Board will be held in June. Interviews and application materials should be submitted to a Staff Judge Advocate at a base legal office no later than 15 May 2011."


Wow. Why would they do that?


Two words:

Budget cuts.

All of the armed services are going to be cutting significantly in the next few years. It means downsizing. That has to be the biggest part of that decision.

User avatar
Esquire
Posts: 145
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:45 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby Esquire » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:39 am

Any Army AD selects get anything in the mail yet? I still have nothing.

waingro
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:33 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby waingro » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:27 pm

Baylan wrote:
joemoviebuff wrote:
ashkenazy wrote:From the U.S. Air Force JAG Recruiting Facebook page:

"The April Direct Appointment Program (DAP) Board has been canceled. The next DAP Board will be held in June. Interviews and application materials should be submitted to a Staff Judge Advocate at a base legal office no later than 15 May 2011."


Wow. Why would they do that?


Two words:

Budget cuts.

All of the armed services are going to be cutting significantly in the next few years. It means downsizing. That has to be the biggest part of that decision.


Any idea as to how (or whether) this affects the Feb board? I'm glad I got my stuff in in time.

Baylan
Posts: 356
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:26 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby Baylan » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:06 pm

waingro wrote:
Baylan wrote:
joemoviebuff wrote:
ashkenazy wrote:From the U.S. Air Force JAG Recruiting Facebook page:

"The April Direct Appointment Program (DAP) Board has been canceled. The next DAP Board will be held in June. Interviews and application materials should be submitted to a Staff Judge Advocate at a base legal office no later than 15 May 2011."


Wow. Why would they do that?


Two words:

Budget cuts.

All of the armed services are going to be cutting significantly in the next few years. It means downsizing. That has to be the biggest part of that decision.


Any idea as to how (or whether) this affects the Feb board? I'm glad I got my stuff in in time.


Hell if I know, i'm just a GLP applicant. My assumption is it means this: the selection rates that will be needed to get to the require force size will probably be reflected in the board. It may help GLP candidates (as they can plan further into the future) but I would presume have no real discernible impact on any group of candidates. The overall message is: My uninformed ass would expect a tougher board.

babyt8_99
Posts: 46
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:21 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby babyt8_99 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:18 pm

MilotheCloud wrote:
jag2L wrote:
stevesmith11 wrote:Anybody have any clue when the 2L internship results will come out?


The results came out on January 15 of last year, so my best guess, based on the corresponding date this year, is that the results could be out this Friday, January 14. Good luck!


Maybe the 21st?



At this point I'm going for NEVER!! I always thought waiting for my grades took forever, but this is ridiculous!!

MilotheCloud
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:14 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby MilotheCloud » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:20 pm

babyt8_99 wrote: At this point I'm going for NEVER!! I always thought waiting for my grades took forever, but this is ridiculous!!


I thought today would be the day! I guess there are a few business hours left to post the results..

jess8328
Posts: 123
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:53 am

Re: Military Law

Postby jess8328 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:25 pm

Looking back in this thread, I saw that last year, the Army spring board results came out on April 2nd. Does anyone know when the deadline for that board was? Was it March 1st like it is this year? I can't believe it only took them a month. I hope its true though.

Edit: for active duty, not internship
Last edited by jess8328 on Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
theskippa10
Posts: 159
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:01 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby theskippa10 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:06 pm

with the way the internship board is going I doubt the the turnaround for the spring board will be that quick.

kaesch
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:02 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby kaesch » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:03 pm

Army 2L internships results have been posted!

--LinkRemoved--

I hope the link works. If it doesn't, it is posted on the Army JAG Recruiting home page.

Congrats to everyone who made it!

User avatar
Esquire
Posts: 145
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:45 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby Esquire » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:52 pm

Looks like it's not just the USAF making cuts. From the Army Times:
Tighter promotion opportunities and stronger up-or-out rules may loom as the Army seeks to cut the force by tens of thousands of soldiers.

The Army is already laying the groundwork for a smaller active-duty force
by launching two major personnel management initiatives. One reduces the recruitment goal for the active component to 67,000 this fiscal year. That goal is down from 74,500 for 2010; 70,045 for 2009; and 80,000 annually for 2006-08.

It also puts the brakes on a decade-long growth spurt to support the deployment and rotation demands of the war on terrorism.

The recruiting campaign was complemented by the most robust and expensive retention and re-enlistment effort in Army history.

Until October, retention programs generated 60,000 to 70,000 re-enlistments annually at costs ranging from $200 million to more than $700 million for 2005-10.

The second initiative is to tighten re-enlistment and eligibility windows to align with specific, priority manpower requirements. That move prepares the Army to trim the temporary 22,000-soldier surge that began in 2009.

Under policies now in effect, active-component soldiers are eligible to re-enlist only if their term of service expires on or before Sept. 30, 2012. The small eligibility window is designed to generate 45,000 re-enlistments during the fiscal year that ends Sept. 30.

That is a considerably smaller mission than in 2010, when the Army re-enlisted 60,000 active-duty soldiers, and enrolled 8,100 others in the Deployment Extension Incentive Pay program that pays up to $500 per month to regular Army short-timers who agree to stay with their units through deployment.

In addition to accessions, here are some other options the Army may adopt to stabilize and then reduce the size of the force, as proposed by Defense Secretary Robert Gates on Jan. 6:

• Reduce maximum service limits for enlisted soldiers by strengthening “up-or-out” restrictions for some ranks.

Changes to the tenure ceiling, also called retention control points, were eased in 2008, but Pentagon officials said those changes are not set in stone and could be tightened as the Army downsizes.

Retention control points generally require that enlisted soldiers be promoted to a certain grade before reaching the tenure limit for that grade. For example, sergeants must be placed on a promotion list to E-6, or be promoted to staff sergeant or higher, by the time they reach 20 years of service.

Under those 2008 changes to the control points, the tenure ceiling for most sergeants major was increased from 30 to 32 years of service; for master sergeants and promotable sergeants first class from 26 to 29 years, for sergeants first class from 24 to 26 years; for promotable staff sergeants from 24 to 26 years, and for staff sergeants from 22 to 23 years.

A tightening of selection rates and promotion points for officers also could signal a drawdown.

In that regard, the Army Competitive Category, Nurse Corps, Medical Service Corps and Medical Specialist Corps first lieutenants selected by the captain boards that met in early December will be promoted at 39 months of service, rather than the 36 months of service that has been the standard recently for O-3 management.

The goal is to reach a 42-month pin-on in fiscal 2012, according to the Pentagon’s Office of the G-1.

The Army began shortening the wait for advancement to captain in fiscal 2003, just as the service launched a major campaign to grow the size of the active component.

The rapid increase in the size of the Army, as well as the reorganization of maneuver forces in modular units, generated a shortage of some 5,000 captain and majors. Those shortages largely have dissipated, which means the select rate for those grades — which have been running in excess of 90 percent — could start to slip below those record levels.

• The Army has used voluntary incentives as separation methods. Those were commonly available during the 1990s drawdown and the mini-reductions of the past few years conducted by the Air Force and Navy.

These programs were targeted at certain specialties and year groups, and included the Voluntary Separation Incentive (a modified annuity), the Special Separation Benefit (a lump-sum bonus) and the Temporary Early Retirement Authority.

At the senior end of the rank structure, the Army has applied Selective Early Retirement Boards, which required the involuntary release of certain lieutenant colonels and colonels.

cake
Posts: 63
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:55 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby cake » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:41 pm

Congrats to the 2L Army Internship selects. Guess I get to try my hand at DAP now.

dgsaudio
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:28 am

Navy 1L Summer Internship

Postby dgsaudio » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:28 pm

I've got the PDF application for the Navy 1L summer internship saved to my computer, but I cannot fill out the fields on the form. Is anybody else having this problem? The website says I should be able to fill it out when I have a copy saved on my computer, but no dice. I don't want the board to see my crappy handwriting...

User avatar
SocalPizza
Posts: 58
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:40 pm

Re: Navy 1L Summer Internship

Postby SocalPizza » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:16 am

dgsaudio wrote:I've got the PDF application for the Navy 1L summer internship saved to my computer, but I cannot fill out the fields on the form. Is anybody else having this problem? The website says I should be able to fill it out when I have a copy saved on my computer, but no dice. I don't want the board to see my crappy handwriting...


A lot of people had problems with the 2L form, too. I would recommend filling as much as you can online, and then using a typewriter for the rest.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.