Military Law Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Patrick Bateman

Silver

Re: Military Law

Post by Patrick Bateman » Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:48 pm

Backload wrote:
Labrador911 wrote:
Backload wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:For any AF selectees scheduled for the January class: do you know your base yet? If so, which is it?
You won’t find out your base until you fully complete MEPs and get all of your other documentation in. I did not find out my base until a month prior to COT
Thanks for the response. Were you able to get your CAC and/or uniform ahead of time?
You can purchase uniforms ahead of COT, and I would advise doing so. I think you have to wait until you have your orders to get those though. Once you have orders you go to a local base, show them orders and your state ID then go get the uniforms. People can correct me if I am wrong but I do not think you can get a CAC. I didn’t get mine till the last week of COT.
We are almost 10 years exactly from when I was doing all this stuff and I have no idea how/if things have changed. So YMMV.

I was able to get my CAC before COT with my orders and state ID. I looked up the nearest DEERS/RAPIDS facility, called ahead to make sure they could help, and had my ID in almost no time. I was happy that I did it. https://rapids-appointments.dmdc.osd.mil/ -- make sure you look up exactly what they need in terms of substantiating records (I think you'll want a DL + a Passport, or the other acceptable combinations). Just keep in mind direct commissions are a relatively rare breed in the greater DOD - folks may look at you cross eyed if you talking about getting an ID as a 1st Lt prior to training. Just be patient and polite.

I also think getting uniforms ahead of time is a very good idea. I strongly suggest getting someone who knows what they are doing to come with you if possible - if you don't have a buddy, you could consider calling the local legal office and asking if one of the captain types can help. It is a lot to take in if you are brand new -- you don't want to be me, walking out with a General Officer flight cap as the clerk behind the counter slowly realizes your dumb mistake. A small thing that makes all the difference - good socks. Do some research on the best boot socks (but keep in mind, we are moving over to OCPs, so we won't be green beyond 2021. Read the new dress & appearance AFI). I've been in a unit that was wearing OCPs for a while and spent a good chunk of change on Darn Tough socks when I moved over - very happy with the upgrade.

Brooks Brothers is now making a more expensive but better service dress line. Given how much most of us are in court, I think paying for the better quality blues and service dress is worth every penny. I got bespoke mess dress and service dress when I was an ADC in the Pacific and it was the best decision I made uniform wise (if you are ever at Osan, make sure you do this). One major thing to keep in mind is that CMSAF Wright has talked about a new (read: more military looking) service dress. It is still probably years out, but that could be an argument against springing for the more expensive stuff now.

Good luck!

Patrick Bateman

Silver

Post by Patrick Bateman » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:33 pm

Two mulligans:

Boots - you are not limited to the boots they sell at Military Clothing. You can often get better ones at a better price if you shop around online. I woke the Nike SFB (Gen 1) for years and thought it was very comfortable. It not suitable for deployment or anything beyond pushing around paper in an garrison environment but for us staff types, it is great.

https://uspatriottactical.com/nike-sfb- ... -closeout/

While tastes my vary, I recommend sticking with the Gen 1. The redesigned Gen 2s need to die in a fire.

I am currently wearing the Rocky S2V with my OCPs - they were issued and so I expected the worst, but they could not be better. A much more robust boot that is still very comfortable.

https://www.rockyboots.com/rocky/mens/f ... 00104.html

Tapes - also something you can order online versus at military clothing (which usually takes a week or three to get done). I've ordered mine from Amazon, http://www.1800nametape.com/, and some other places. You can also get occupational badges, rank, and anything else you are required to sew/slap on. Keep in mind that Military Clothing will give you a coupon for free tailoring at the dry cleaning / alterations shop on base when you buy your uniforms. Alternations will also be able to sew everything on for you.

Backload

New

Post by Backload » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:59 pm

Labrador911 wrote:
Backload wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:For any AF selectees scheduled for the January class: do you know your base yet? If so, which is it?
You won’t find out your base until you fully complete MEPs and get all of your other documentation in. I did not find out my base until a month prior to COT
Thanks for the response. Were you able to get your CAC and/or uniform ahead of time?
Also you may want to wait until you know your base prior to buying uniforms. Bases/NAFs/MAJCOMs are going to have specific requirements on when the bases are allowed to wear OCPs. My base allows OCPs right away so it you would only have to wear OCPs. JAX my also have specific guidance on which uniforms to wear. It’s hard to imagine making new accessions to buy ABUs then turn around a few months later and buy OCPs.

Patrick Bateman

Silver

Post by Patrick Bateman » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:11 am

Backload wrote:
Labrador911 wrote:
Backload wrote:
Also you may want to wait until you know your base prior to buying uniforms. Bases/NAFs/MAJCOMs are going to have specific requirements on when the bases are allowed to wear OCPs. My base allows OCPs right away so it you would only have to wear OCPs. JAX my also have specific guidance on which uniforms to wear. It’s hard to imagine making new accessions to buy ABUs then turn around a few months later and buy OCPs.
I have absolutely no idea how the OCP roll out will get managed from base to base. It strikes me that if the AFI expressly authorizes this uniform as of 1 Oct 18, I'm not sure what authority there is to keep personnel from wearing it on 1 Oct (absent actual operational reasons, which I cannot imagine actually existing given how lousy of a uniform the ABU is). But an administrative law expert I am not.

That said, per the published roll out schedule:
Oct. 1, 2019: New airmen coming in through basic military training, officer training school, and the Reserve Officer Training Corps will get their OCPs beginning next October , when LaBrutta said the production capacity is expected to be able to meet that demand. Military training instructors and military training leaders will also start wearing OCPs at that time, to demonstrate proper dress and appearance standards to trainees.
https://www.airforcetimes.com/news/your ... ld-get-it/

I do believe folks heading to COT this year will be required to still be buying ABUs as it will remain an authorized uniform until 2021. I agree that it is not fair, and is possibly waste/abuse, but I'm sure TPTB have an argument about being able to supply everyone in training the OCPs (which is noted in the quote above) and then the need for uniform uniformity in a training environment. Remember the annoying standardization officer in your COT Flight that would not let anyone wear gloves unless everyone had their gloves? I can't see any world where AETC would tolerate a mix of ABU and OCP in a training environment.

I'm old enough to have gone through the tail end of the BDU -> ABU transition. My class was in ABUs. Friends from a year before bought BDUs, knowing their wear had a limited shelf life. Cest la Air Force.

aka123

New

Post by aka123 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:04 am

annon1234 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
annon1234 wrote:Anyone going into the Army Jan class?

I should have my letter of good standing in about a week and that’s the last part of paperwork that JARO needs. I’m assuming that I will be in the January class...but I have no confirmation from them on that. Are you already notified that you are in the January class?
Can you send me a PM?
Have either of you had access to ARMDEC Safe? I just got my certificate but haven't been able to upload it. Tried a bunch of different browers and between mac/pc. :x

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mrosmith

Bronze

Post by mrosmith » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:41 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Rocky123 wrote: If there are any criminal, drug, mental health, credit, weight, etc. issues, what have you done to show that's not you anymore? If your interviewer likes you, they will try to explain these things away. Help them. If you got caught for underage drinking in college, maybe volunteer for some kind of designated driver program. Stuff like that. One thing specifically - do not be over your weight limit. That is likely an automatic no.
What portion of the denials do you think are attributable to this fact alone?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:44 pm

mrosmith wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Rocky123 wrote: If there are any criminal, drug, mental health, credit, weight, etc. issues, what have you done to show that's not you anymore? If your interviewer likes you, they will try to explain these things away. Help them. If you got caught for underage drinking in college, maybe volunteer for some kind of designated driver program. Stuff like that. One thing specifically - do not be over your weight limit. That is likely an automatic no.
Original anon here.

I can't say for sure, but I doubt it's terribly high. Off the top of my head, at most 10% of the candidates I interview list themselves as being overweight. Of those, some are likely not getting in for other reasons.

I think my own experience is instructive. I was a pretty good candidate; I checked most of the boxes the JAG Corps wants to see, including really good recommendations. I know the first SJA I interviewed with pushed for me as hard as she could. But it took me 3 applications to get in. My original interviewer contacted me after I got dinged the second time, and she told me the only feedback they had was that I was 10-15 pounds overweight. I dropped the weight and got in the very next time without changing anything else significant about my application package.

Knowing how competitive the boards are and how little time the JAGs on the board have to go through each package, weight seems like a VERY easy way to screen out even very competitive candidates.

That leads to another bit of advice. Show us you're ready to go TODAY if we could make that happen; don't show us you have potential. Again, picture your evil twin applying and find every way to beat them out. If you figure out you want to apply to a JAG Corps early in law school, I think it's very possible for most people without a huge negative strike against them (significant drug use, severe medical issue, etc.) to shape themselves into who the JAG Corps is looking for. But it takes effort.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Hi- I submitted all of my required documents by end of June and have not heard back on anything, my understanding is I am waiting on HRC to medically qualify me but I have not heard on what class I am assigned. When did you find out your class? I originally assumed I would be October class.
I’m in the same boat as you. I submitted all my required documents by the end of June and I assumed I would be in the October class. I’ve been medically cleared by HRC. I haven’t heard anything from JARO but hoping to make it into the January class.

mrosmith

Bronze

Post by mrosmith » Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
mrosmith wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Original anon here.

I can't say for sure, but I doubt it's terribly high. Off the top of my head, at most 10% of the candidates I interview list themselves as being overweight. Of those, some are likely not getting in for other reasons.

I think my own experience is instructive. I was a pretty good candidate; I checked most of the boxes the JAG Corps wants to see, including really good recommendations. I know the first SJA I interviewed with pushed for me as hard as she could. But it took me 3 applications to get in. My original interviewer contacted me after I got dinged the second time, and she told me the only feedback they had was that I was 10-15 pounds overweight. I dropped the weight and got in the very next time without changing anything else significant about my application package.

Knowing how competitive the boards are and how little time the JAGs on the board have to go through each package, weight seems like a VERY easy way to screen out even very competitive candidates.

That leads to another bit of advice. Show us you're ready to go TODAY if we could make that happen; don't show us you have potential. Again, picture your evil twin applying and find every way to beat them out. If you figure out you want to apply to a JAG Corps early in law school, I think it's very possible for most people without a huge negative strike against them (significant drug use, severe medical issue, etc.) to shape themselves into who the JAG Corps is looking for. But it takes effort.
Thank you. That is why I am holding off to apply until April 2019. I intend to be ready to go as of the interview date, both physically and mentally. As my previous posts indicate I am a 2013 T14 graduate currently in biglaw. Do you have a suggestion on who best to chase down for recommendations? My firm leadership will not exactly be thrilled to assist me in leaving the firm. Also, when you say 10-15 pounds, does that mean 10-15 pounds under the guidelines, or you had to loose 10-15 pounds to meet the guidelines?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:26 pm

mrosmith wrote: Thank you. That is why I am holding off to apply until April 2019. I intend to be ready to go as of the interview date, both physically and mentally. As my previous posts indicate I am a 2013 T14 graduate currently in biglaw. Do you have a suggestion on who best to chase down for recommendations? My firm leadership will not exactly be thrilled to assist me in leaving the firm. Also, when you say 10-15 pounds, does that mean 10-15 pounds under the guidelines, or you had to loose 10-15 pounds to meet the guidelines?
Same anon.

I was 10-15 pounds over my max. For my third application, I got my weight to 5 pounds under my max.

If you have a chance of being close to where you want/need to be for the November board, I would encourage you to apply then. You would get experience with the process and feedback from JAX on what you need to improve. And not that we want you to apply multiple times, but applying multiple times is viewed favorably, in general, especially if progress is made between applications.

It is challenging if you can't go to your current employer, so I'm sorry for that and don't have a lot of help to offer. My advice for letters of recommendations echoes much of what others have said on this thread. First, try to get 5 letters. Next, it's better to find someone who knows you well and would be able to share specific stories of how you meet what we're looking for as oppose to a letter from some Senator you met one time. You want a mix of recommenders who can talk about the qualities this thread discusses, such as:

- Able to perform legal work
- Good in the courtroom (or at least potential)
- Effective communicator/writer
- Leader
- Good character

Certainly there are other traits, but that's a start. If you have law professors who wrote you recommendations before, it might be worth going back to them. Consider family friends, people you know from outside organizations, or anyone outside work for people who can speak to the qualities that would make you a good officer. Prior military background is helpful, but not required.

Penncolawsearch

New

Post by Penncolawsearch » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Hi- I submitted all of my required documents by end of June and have not heard back on anything, my understanding is I am waiting on HRC to medically qualify me but I have not heard on what class I am assigned. When did you find out your class? I originally assumed I would be October class.
I’m in the same boat as you. I submitted all my required documents by the end of June and I assumed I would be in the October class. I’ve been medically cleared by HRC. I haven’t heard anything from JARO but hoping to make it into the January class.
Did they let you know via email you were medically cleared by HRC? And if so was it the same group that has been contacting you all along? I just want to make sure I am not missing something. I emailed them about two weeks ago to get some idea but have not heard back. It would be nice to have some timeline. It was my understanding once you are medically cleared they will start your security clearance.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:47 pm

Penncolawsearch wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Did they let you know via email you were medically cleared by HRC? And if so was it the same group that has been contacting you all along? I just want to make sure I am not missing something. I emailed them about two weeks ago to get some idea but have not heard back. It would be nice to have some timeline. It was my understanding once you are medically cleared they will start your security clearance.
I didn’t get an email about being medically cleared until I contacted JARO first. Send an email directly to Redmond Self. He’s pretty responsive on giving status updates on medical clearance. I haven’t heard anything about starting my security clearance even though I was medical cleared months ago.

You definitely haven’t missed anything. You just have to be very proactive about getting information from JARO.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:02 am

After a torn calf, three medical waivers and a lot of gym/dieting to maintain a good weight, I finally was confident enough to take and pass my OPAT for the Army Reserve JAG. I'm hoping to get sent out in January 2019 or May 2019 with no need to defer.

What should I expect from the 6 weeks at Ft. Benning?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:After a torn calf, three medical waivers and a lot of gym/dieting to maintain a good weight, I finally was confident enough to take and pass my OPAT for the Army Reserve JAG. I'm hoping to get sent out in January 2019 or May 2019 with no need to defer.

Congrats on passing the OPAT!

I'm hoping to get sent out in January 2019 as well. I've found the following blog particularly helpful: https://www.garrettham.com/army-dcc-1/

See you in January!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:After a torn calf, three medical waivers and a lot of gym/dieting to maintain a good weight, I finally was confident enough to take and pass my OPAT for the Army Reserve JAG. I'm hoping to get sent out in January 2019 or May 2019 with no need to defer.

Congrats on passing the OPAT!

I'm hoping to get sent out in January 2019 as well. I've found the following blog particularly helpful: https://www.garrettham.com/army-dcc-1/

See you in January!
Thank you! And this is incredibly helpful. I learned that I should maintain spending a disgusting amount of money on my personal trainer until reaching Ft. Benning. Hopefully I'll see you in January.

aka123

New

Post by aka123 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:02 am

Congrats on passing! I'm trying to get into January too. How was the OPAT? I haven't taken mine yet. Trying to shed a few more lbs before I do.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:30 am

aka123 wrote:

Congrats on passing! I'm trying to get into January too. How was the OPAT? I haven't taken mine yet. Trying to shed a few more lbs before I do.
I wouldn't stress about the OPAT. Overall, the passing requirements for the moderate category aren't challenging at all. The recruiter that oversaw my OPAT said it would be a piece of cake after he looked up the requirements for JAG and saw that I only needed to score a "moderate" rating to pass. My preparation for the OPAT consisted of practicing the long jump about a dozen times and that was about it. I didn't practice for any of the other exercises and I still passed everything on my first try. You shouldn't have any problems passing the OPAT as long as you don't have any type of injuries and you're not a complete couch potato.

Now, with that being said, you WILL fail the running/pacer test if you are completely out of shape. I'm in decent shape and I was short winded after I finished the pacer test. I passed it on my first try but if I was out of shape I know I probably would have failed it. If you can jog two miles nonstop without collapsing, you'll have no problem passing the pacer test. My pacer test was done outside in the middle of the day during the hottest part of the year in Florida and I had no problem passing on my first try without practicing beforehand.

Of course this is all based on the minimum OPAT requirements for JAG. If you're gunning for a score that exceeds "moderate" in all of the exercises, you'll need to be in really good shape.

Good luck and I'll see you in January!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

globalview2

New

Post by globalview2 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:45 am

Checking in, just sent in my FLEP packet for the Army.

Labrador911

New

Post by Labrador911 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:25 pm

Patrick Bateman wrote:
Backload wrote:
Labrador911 wrote:
Backload wrote:
I have absolutely no idea how the OCP roll out will get managed from base to base. It strikes me that if the AFI expressly authorizes this uniform as of 1 Oct 18, I'm not sure what authority there is to keep personnel from wearing it on 1 Oct (absent actual operational reasons, which I cannot imagine actually existing given how lousy of a uniform the ABU is). But an administrative law expert I am not.

That said, per the published roll out schedule:
Oct. 1, 2019: New airmen coming in through basic military training, officer training school, and the Reserve Officer Training Corps will get their OCPs beginning next October , when LaBrutta said the production capacity is expected to be able to meet that demand. Military training instructors and military training leaders will also start wearing OCPs at that time, to demonstrate proper dress and appearance standards to trainees.
https://www.airforcetimes.com/news/your ... ld-get-it/

I do believe folks heading to COT this year will be required to still be buying ABUs as it will remain an authorized uniform until 2021. I agree that it is not fair, and is possibly waste/abuse, but I'm sure TPTB have an argument about being able to supply everyone in training the OCPs (which is noted in the quote above) and then the need for uniform uniformity in a training environment. Remember the annoying standardization officer in your COT Flight that would not let anyone wear gloves unless everyone had their gloves? I can't see any world where AETC would tolerate a mix of ABU and OCP in a training environment.

I'm old enough to have gone through the tail end of the BDU -> ABU transition. My class was in ABUs. Friends from a year before bought BDUs, knowing their wear had a limited shelf life. Cest la Air Force.
Thank you for all the advice. One more thing...does anyone know how difficult it is to bring a pet overseas? Japan or Europe?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:28 pm

For AFJAG, what are the best bases for LOAC and/or military justice?

Backload

New

Post by Backload » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:For AFJAG, what are the best bases for LOAC and/or military justice?
You don’t really get LOAC during your first assignment. Maybe an exercise or two but that’s it.

For justice, it can vary greatly. You can go wrong with the bigger bases in ACC and AETC like Lackland, Nellis, Ramstein, Holloman. Other bases can have 0-1 courts a year but you can always ask to go TDY to other bases to get your courts in. You just have to hustle a little harder. That said it’s hard to get your top choice so just enjoy whatever you get.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Patrick Bateman

Silver

Post by Patrick Bateman » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For AFJAG, what are the best bases for LOAC and/or military justice?
The military justice base discussion has been covered several times in the thread. Do some searching.

There is no strictly LOAC position - the closest we get to that is the JAGs deployed to the CAOC, which is a mid level Major slot. LOAC is one of the many subsets of what gets lumped into Ops Law. And Backload is correct - there is not much practice in this for a new JAG (and for a good reason - the guy still figuring out how to wear his uniform probably should not be involved in that level of decision making).

The closest you can get to actual ops as a baby JAG will be within AFSOC - that means 1 SOW at Hurlburt or 27 SOW at Cannon. That's a hell of a coin flip. Much like the Knight's admonition in Last Crusade, choose wisely.

After you get a little more seasoned, that world opens up more. At the more senior Captain level, there is a legal advisor position at 353d SOG at Kadena AB and a SJA slot at 352 SOW at RAF Mildenhall. You also then get into the broader ops world, in which you can get an international law or cyber law LLM (senior captain/junior major), etc.

howell

Silver

Post by howell » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:22 am

Has anyone attended the Jobs for JAGs event put on by the Judge Advocates Association? Or know anyone who has? If so, was it helpful or a waste of time?

Patrick Bateman

Silver

Post by Patrick Bateman » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:49 am

howell wrote:Has anyone attended the Jobs for JAGs event put on by the Judge Advocates Association? Or know anyone who has? If so, was it helpful or a waste of time?
Overall, it is worth your time as long as your expectations are realistic.

I have no idea what is in store for this year but in the past, there were a handful of Skadden type BigLaw firms recruiting for their white collar defense shops, along with some DOJ and other BigFed manning informational tables.

The panels will vary. The biggest challenge for an event like this is the audience - you have O-3s separating after their 4 year commitment through very senior O-6s retiring after 25+ years. Those are demographics with basically zero overlap, so not everything presented may be something you are interested in. For example, they had panels on how to become an ALJ or how to land an SES position - it is good information for anyone, but really is directed to the retiring O-5/O-6 world.

They also had "floating" panelists that were basically just reserve/separated JAGs that were already employed in BigLaw/BigFed/BigDefenseContractor that were talking to people over lunch, on breaks, etc with any questions individual folks might have had.

While I absolutely hate the term "networking," it is also valuable in that context - I ran into peers and superiors from years back that I didn't know were getting out. You never know who knows who, where they are going, etc. The greater JAG Corps fraternity out there is huge and there can be some very valuable connections and introductions to be made. Making the leap from AD is a scary thing and I found there is a real sense of solidarity.

howell

Silver

Post by howell » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:51 am

Thanks, Patrick. It seems like it won't hurt to give it a shot. It will probably also be an excuse to see friends in the DC area.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”