Military Law Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
aka123

New

Re: Military Law

Post by aka123 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Was notified today that I was taken off alternate list for Army Reserve JAG and I will start training in October or January (God willing)! Now it is time to panic and go to gym every day for the next 9-10 months.
Congratulations!

I feel you on the panicking part. I shouldn't have gone to Dunkin Donuts on my commute to work for the past 4 months and thinking to myself, "I'll just have one donut."

That was easily an additional 29,000 Calories I didn't even need.
Congrats! And exact same sentiments here too! I'm studying for the bar and trying to get admitted in time for the October class. :/

tb12345

New

Post by tb12345 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:39 pm

So my OCIs fell through completely.

Can someone give me a gist of when the next selection process is for JAGS across the brances? I sat for an informational interview for air force JAG like 4 months ago but didn't follow up on anything after that and honestly don't remember. I just wanna toss my name in the hat and if they bite I would be happy, but at this point I am just predisposed to not getting a bite from employers.

usn26

Silver

Post by usn26 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:41 pm

tb12345 wrote:So my OCIs fell through completely.

Can someone give me a gist of when the next selection process is for JAGS across the brances? I sat for an informational interview for air force JAG like 4 months ago but didn't follow up on anything after that and honestly don't remember. I just wanna toss my name in the hat and if they bite I would be happy, but at this point I am just predisposed to not getting a bite from employers.
It's entirely possible to become a JAG for lack of other options, but you'll be competing against a lot of people that really, genuinely want it. It's competitive, and one element of standing out is taking the initiative, understanding military service and what JAGs do, and showing that you understand and want that. So the "I don't have any better options so make me a military officer maybe" approach is not the best path to success (but it worked for Richard Gere in An Officer and a Gentleman, so who knows).

Anyway, 2 services have Feb deadlines, 1 has an Apr deadline, 1 is next November, and the other I think you can go basically anytime.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:08 am

Looking for a bit of advice y'all.

I was recently offered, and verbally committed, to a non-paid internship with one of the branches for the summer. A few days later I was made aware that I have a pretty solid chance of qualifying for OCS with the Marine Corps. this summer. I'm a bit torn, because the last thing I want to do is rescind an offer from a branch I deeply respect and am grateful to, but considering the competitive selection rates for JAG, this opportunity becomes very appealing. I would be attending OCS in this summer's class and, hopefully, commission before my 3L year begins.

My dilemma--is the possibility and benefits of joining the Marine Corps. via the PLC program as a 2L (a year under my belt while I'm finishing school, paid internship, seniority once I graduate, etc..) worth the risk of burning bridges with the branch I had originally committed to? Is it better to just forego this opportunity, honor my commitment for the summer and simply apply to both branches as a 3L?

Another thing, I'm very aware of how challenging it is to become a Marine officer and I am in no way downplaying the process as being any less difficult. Because I am aware of the challenges I would face, I am torn on whether or not I should jump at the opportunity of possibly qualifying and then completing OCS over the summer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Looking for a bit of advice y'all.

I was recently offered, and verbally committed, to a non-paid internship with one of the branches for the summer. A few days later I was made aware that I have a pretty solid chance of qualifying for OCS with the Marine Corps. this summer. I'm a bit torn, because the last thing I want to do is rescind an offer from a branch I deeply respect and am grateful to, but considering the competitive selection rates for JAG, this opportunity becomes very appealing. I would be attending OCS in this summer's class and, hopefully, commission before my 3L year begins.

My dilemma--is the possibility and benefits of joining the Marine Corps. via the PLC program as a 2L (a year under my belt while I'm finishing school, paid internship, seniority once I graduate, etc..) worth the risk of burning bridges with the branch I had originally committed to? Is it better to just forego this opportunity, honor my commitment for the summer and simply apply to both branches as a 3L?

Another thing, I'm very aware of how challenging it is to become a Marine officer and I am in no way downplaying the process as being any less difficult. Because I am aware of the challenges I would face, I am torn on whether or not I should jump at the opportunity of possibly qualifying and then completing OCS over the summer.
I was in a similar position as you. I did not choose OCS. The following year the same marine recruiters who helped me through the process said they did not think they would support my application again. So ended up not applying to the marines, but accepted a different service. If you want marines, then do it now because this may be your only Chance.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Patrick Bateman

Silver

Post by Patrick Bateman » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:10 pm

tb12345 wrote:So my OCIs fell through completely.

I can tell you that if you are not motivated enough to even do your own research into the application process and timeline, this may not be for you. I'm sorry you struck out at OCI but half-assing a JAG application is not going to get you anywhere - this is a very specific job that you have to be both excited and motivated to do.

All the information you need is easily found on the web as well as throughout this thread.

Patrick Bateman

Silver

Post by Patrick Bateman » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:13 pm

If you get the chance for OCS, take it. You can explain in a respectful and honest way to the folks with the internship that an incredibly opportunity came up after you made the commitment. They should understand - I know I would, and I have been in this position on the hiring side.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:43 pm

Do any JAGS here know if it's feasible for a single guy or girl to have a dog and keep it on base during the first assignment? Is there usually time in the middle of the day to take a quick drive on base back home and give a 10 minute walk to your dog (medium sized, non aggressive)? Are there even doggy day cares on domestic bases?

-- just trying to gauge the feasibility of being a single guy, a JAG, and a dog owner. Any personal experience would be much appreciated!

Mobster1983

New

Post by Mobster1983 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:Do any JAGS here know if it's feasible for a single guy or girl to have a dog and keep it on base during the first assignment? Is there usually time in the middle of the day to take a quick drive on base back home and give a 10 minute walk to your dog (medium sized, non aggressive)? Are there even doggy day cares on domestic bases?

-- just trying to gauge the feasibility of being a single guy, a JAG, and a dog owner. Any personal experience would be much appreciated!
I had dogs during most of my time in the military as a single officer. Wasn't always the best because I rarely had time to home during lunch. During training,forget it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:33 am

Does active duty JAG have any signing bonus?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:35 am

Mobster1983 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Do any JAGS here know if it's feasible for a single guy or girl to have a dog and keep it on base during the first assignment? Is there usually time in the middle of the day to take a quick drive on base back home and give a 10 minute walk to your dog (medium sized, non aggressive)? Are there even doggy day cares on domestic bases?

I had dogs during most of my time in the military as a single officer. Wasn't always the best because I rarely had time to home during lunch. During training,forget it.
Some people have dogs as single officers. Yes most days there will be a ten minute period for a walk. But it will always be varied and may not sometimes work out. I have never heard of doggie daycares but have never looked.

Fivedham

Bronze

Post by Fivedham » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:02 pm

Related question; can we take a cat with us to Charlottesville?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:44 pm

Good luck on your upcoming applications! The whole purpose of the JAG unpaid internships is recruitment and exposure. They would not hold it against you if you withdrew in order to go to OCS. That said, remember that in the Marine Corps JA program you'll be going to TBS for 6 months after you take the bar exam, and make sure you know the differences between the Marine Corps and other branches as a JAG. I too was considering applying to the Marine Corps my 2L year after being denied for the fall Navy JAG board, only to then get accepted on the Spring board while I was putting together my Marine Corps application. BUT, if you go to OCS this summer then you are committed to being in the Marine Corps post graduation (that is, if you accept your commission at the end...if you don't then I would think that WOULD look bad if you then applied to other branches). You could apply again as a 3L and if the Marine Corps is the only branch that accepts you then essentially you'll just have to go to OCS once you get your bar results and you'll be set back a few months. So, if you'd be happy being a Marine Corps Judge Advocate then you don't really have anything to lose. There are a lot of overlaps between the Marine Corps JA's and Navy JAGs...so if your #1 is Navy, the Marines wouldn't be a bad scenario.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:45 pm

Fivedham wrote:

Related question; can we take a cat with us to Charlottesville?

lol (I think?)

Patrick Bateman

Silver

Post by Patrick Bateman » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:00 pm

I swore I posted on this exact question before but it must have been a PM as I cannot find it anywhere.

Short answer - it is going to be tough.

Longer - no way during your COT & JASOC time (assuming you are Air Force). Once you get to your duty station, you are almost certainly going to be living off base. Some days it may be workable for you to head home to let the dog out. Other situations, like during a base exercise or when you are in a multi-day court-martial, it won't be possible.

You better have a care plan with a friend or dog walker for when you cannot schedule around the dog.

Another issue is TDYs - again assuming Air Force, but you will likely go to AFJAGS or another base for a course at least once a year, if not more. Most are usually a week, some are two full weeks. There is also the chance you will deploy, which takes you out of pocket for the period of deployment plus a month and change of training before that.

Having been a single guy for all of my active duty time, I have no idea how I would have been able to care for my dog(s) in retrospect. I'm not saying it is impossible but a lot of attention (and money) will go into making it work.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:57 am

Question: National Guard JAG here. I was just picked up for active duty. I have been a Captain for a year and will have 13 months of active duty time (deployment) as a Captain JAG. Does anyone know if you lose rank when you transfer over to active duty JAG? I have heard mixed answers as to whether I would enter active duty as a 1LT or if I would remain a Captain. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:10 am

Anonymous User wrote: Are there even doggy day cares on domestic bases?
I've never seen a doggy day care on base. You could still use a doggy day care out in town, assuming you're stationed in an area that is developed enough to have stuff like that. If you're in the boonies, you're probably SOL.

As far as being a dog owner as a single officer, it'd be really tough. Might be doable if you have an older dog who is a couch potato and just wants to nap in the corner all day. If you're thinking about getting a puppy though, I'd recommend against it for now.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:Question: National Guard JAG here. I was just picked up for active duty. I have been a Captain for a year and will have 13 months of active duty time (deployment) as a Captain JAG. Does anyone know if you lose rank when you transfer over to active duty JAG? I have heard mixed answers as to whether I would enter active duty as a 1LT or if I would remain a Captain. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
We had NG JAs come over, they stayed captains. I think it can mess with your promotion to major though. I don't recall anyone losing rank once they had it.

The direct commission timeline from captain to major is tight. So if you're already a captain, there are certain jobs you need to get in before your major board. Like, you'll need chief time and TC time pretty quick coming out of OBC. They'll move you fast, like the FLEPs.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:33 pm

Has anybody heard anything from the Army after accepting their commission? I uploaded my active duty acceptance the same day they sent out results but haven't heard anything since. I know there used to be a link on their website for accepted judge advocate candidates but the website seems to be down.

Fivedham

Bronze

Post by Fivedham » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anybody heard anything from the Army after accepting their commission? I uploaded my active duty acceptance the same day they sent out results but haven't heard anything since. I know there used to be a link on their website for accepted judge advocate candidates but the website seems to be down.
JAGCNET as a whole has been down a lot off and on in the past two weeks, but it's been down entirely since at least yesterday.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:12 am

I'm considering JAG but am thinking my prior mj use may make me an auto deny. I am a regular smoker and have been throughout law school, but am willing to stop smoking and have my last dance with mary jane if I still have a chance. thoughts?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

usn26

Silver

Post by usn26 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm considering JAG but am thinking my prior mj use may make me an auto deny. I am a regular smoker and have been throughout law school, but am willing to stop smoking and have my last dance with mary jane if I still have a chance. thoughts?
I mean if you're also willing to wait 3-10 years after quitting to apply you may have a (very) remote chance.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:06 am

usn26 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm considering JAG but am thinking my prior mj use may make me an auto deny. I am a regular smoker and have been throughout law school, but am willing to stop smoking and have my last dance with mary jane if I still have a chance. thoughts?
I mean if you're also willing to wait 3-10 years after quitting to apply you may have a (very) remote chance.
If you wait until it's legalized on the federal level (if ever) then at the time you fill out those forms when it asks if you've ever done any illegal drugs, you can truthfully say no (that is, legal as of the time you fill out the forms)...that'd prob be your best shot.

aka123

New

Post by aka123 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anybody heard anything from the Army after accepting their commission? I uploaded my active duty acceptance the same day they sent out results but haven't heard anything since. I know there used to be a link on their website for accepted judge advocate candidates but the website seems to be down.
The site doesn't work for me on Chrome but is fine on Firefox.

Patrick Bateman

Silver

Post by Patrick Bateman » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:02 pm

These drug use posts are becoming more frequent.

As has been noted previously, selections in this context are generally limited to applicants who:

1. experimented (read: isolated and non-habitual/frequent use) with
2. non-hardcore drugs (read: marijuana and maybe some Rx types) and
3. during a time period where they can justify the use (read: tried it in high school when they lacked the maturity and judgment to know better).

If one cannot thread the needle of all three elements, the odds of a waiver/selection are highly unlikely. Hopefully all future posters on this issue can now resolve this question for themselves. For the OP, I do not see any path to selection, even if you quit entirely and abstain several years before applying.

As I've noted before, I think there will be a real sticky wicket in respect to future applicants where all relevant marijuana use may have been in a state that has legalized it in some degree. Time will tell I guess.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”