Military Law Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
ZeroDay

New

Re: Military Law

Post by ZeroDay » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:13 pm

us.army.jag.hopeful wrote:Anybody hear anything about the Army Active Duty Alternate list? The letter said offers would start today? Any word/idea?
Today I received an email from CPT W; she wants to schedule a teleconference to discuss alternates' status. I'm taking this as bad news.

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:57 pm

Just got an acceptance to the Navy 1L internship program! I'm pumped. Good luck to everyone else!

holajerin

New

Post by holajerin » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:11 pm

shock259 wrote:Just got an acceptance to the Navy 1L internship program! I'm pumped. Good luck to everyone else!
Congrats, Shock! I got mine this morning, too!

Fed_Atty

Bronze

Post by Fed_Atty » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:21 pm

holajerin wrote:
shock259 wrote:Just got an acceptance to the Navy 1L internship program! I'm pumped. Good luck to everyone else!
Nice work. Current Navy JAG here, let me know if you have any questions.

ShockTop

New

Post by ShockTop » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:47 pm

holajerin wrote:
Myself as well--though I'm a 2L so I don't think the program is 1L only. But still, congrats, see you this summer? Haha.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bouakedojo

Bronze

Post by bouakedojo » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:49 pm

ShockTop wrote:
holajerin wrote:
Myself as well--though I'm a 2L so I don't think the program is 1L only. But still, congrats, see you this summer? Haha.
Congrats to all three of you! Way to go TLSers.

Let's hope we can score some AF internships, too, although me saying that may be somewhat self-serving. :)

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:30 am

Yay for TLSers. I partially credit all of the great info in this thread with my acceptance. ;)

Anyway, I'm still waiting to hear on the Air Force internship too. That one is paid, so I would probably take it over the Navy unless there are some other compelling circumstances. I just hope I hear back before my deadline to accept the Navy position. If I don't, an AF officer friend recommended I give the JAG line a call, tell them of my situation, and see if they can do anything about my app before the deadline to accept. Guessing they won't be able to, but it doesn't hurt to try.

Again, good luck to everyone!

Pogues

New

Post by Pogues » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:58 am

Has anybody gotten an official rejection letter from Air Force OYCP or GLP?

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:03 am

I got mine yesterday (Friday).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Pogues

New

Post by Pogues » Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:53 pm

Thanks for the info shock. And congratulations on the Navy internship!

bouakedojo

Bronze

Post by bouakedojo » Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:31 pm

shock259 wrote:Yay for TLSers. I partially credit all of the great info in this thread with my acceptance. ;)

Anyway, I'm still waiting to hear on the Air Force internship too. That one is paid, so I would probably take it over the Navy unless there are some other compelling circumstances. I just hope I hear back before my deadline to accept the Navy position. If I don't, an AF officer friend recommended I give the JAG line a call, tell them of my situation, and see if they can do anything about my app before the deadline to accept. Guessing they won't be able to, but it doesn't hurt to try.

Again, good luck to everyone!
Yea, I hear you. I actually would prefer to stay in St. Louis and do the local internship here because my school has a summer stipend program. But we'll see. It'd probably look better on a resume to go to DC for the official internship to put on my JAG apps, I'd imagine.

Good luck to everyone waiting!

leedleed

New

Post by leedleed » Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:32 pm

How did you guys hear back for the Navy Internship?

Also, I got my AF OYCP rejection letter on Friday

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:24 pm

I heard via email.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

westerking

New

Post by westerking » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:28 pm

I've not heard anything, yet. Have all those selected been notified?

ShockTop

New

Post by ShockTop » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:18 pm

leedleed wrote:How did you guys hear back for the Navy Internship?

Also, I got my AF OYCP rejection letter on Friday
I heard via email.

akeller2891

New

Post by akeller2891 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:18 am

Got my rejection letter from the AF OYCP. Any suggestions on how to make my application more competitive for the DAP?

LandNavLOL

New

Post by LandNavLOL » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:00 pm

Speaking of 11-Bs reclassing (from a couple pages ago)...

I graduated law school back in 2008, spent three years practicing law, and then decided that I wanted a break from the terrible job market and glut of new lawyers on the market overcrowding all the entry level positions. I enlisted 11-B and I'm now at Fort Drum. I plan to do a tour, serve my country, max my PT score, and then apply to JAG. Would I be competitive for Army Jag with a 3.2 college/law school GPA and the above resume?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Patrick Bateman

Silver

Post by Patrick Bateman » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:08 pm

akeller2891 wrote:Got my rejection letter from the AF OYCP. Any suggestions on how to make my application more competitive for the DAP?
We'll need more information on your stats, your SJA interview, and everything else if you are looking for input.

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:34 pm

To improve myself for my OYCP app next year, I'm going to:

1) Start volunteering at a wounded veterans employment assistance organization
2) Start doing mock trial/moot court
3) Spend more time on my motivational statement

And then just keep doing well GPA-wise.

Minnesota3L

New

Post by Minnesota3L » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:44 pm

Any USAR JAG selects from the most recent board? I got the good news, but I'm still in the pipeline for the April USAF board. Any other Army Reserve selectees want to compare notes?

Euronupe

New

Post by Euronupe » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:07 am

I was offered a position as an intern for the AF JAG! They gave me a couple of days to decide which base I wanted to work at. Does anyone know what the benefits or downsides are working at HQ at Andrews vs. being stationed at a regular base?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

akeller2891

New

Post by akeller2891 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:49 am

Patrick Bateman wrote:
akeller2891 wrote:Got my rejection letter from the AF OYCP. Any suggestions on how to make my application more competitive for the DAP?
We'll need more information on your stats, your SJA interview, and everything else if you are looking for input.
I go to Albany Law. I have decent grades and a lot of extra-curricular/volunteer experience as well as a variety of legal internships. I am currently studying international law in London and doing a legal internship with a Barrister. I will be taking a summer class to help improve my GPA and doing a government field placement during the summer. I will be working at the US Attorney's Office for both the fall and spring next year. My SJA interview went well. He responded that he was surprised that I was not selected for OYCP. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

holajerin

New

Post by holajerin » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:58 am

Euronupe wrote:I was offered a position as an intern for the AF JAG! They gave me a couple of days to decide which base I wanted to work at. Does anyone know what the benefits or downsides are working at HQ at Andrews vs. being stationed at a regular base?
Congrats, Euro! Just wondering, when exactly did you hear? I'm hoping to hear sometime today. Thanks!

holajerin

New

Post by holajerin » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:53 pm

Anybody besides Euro hear anything yet about AF internships? Specifically the 1L internship applications?

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:01 pm

I called the AF JAG line 5x yesterday but I haven't been able to get a hold of someone. Left a message. I'll keep trying today. Have to hear by tomorrow or I'll need to take the unpaid Navy internship (which I know I'd be happy with anyway but it would be nice to get paid).

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”