Military Law Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
JEB

Bronze

Re: Military Law

Post by JEB » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:12 am

rtb2008x wrote:Hi all!

I just went through the first preliminary interview for a Navy JAG appointment. What's the next step? Must I keep checking the website for my application status to change? Or will they send me a follow-up email telling me that I'm still in the game or been dinged?

Thanks!
The next step is to hurry up and wait. Don't worry about checking the website constantly, but do make sure to record your username and password somewhere so you can log in later. I was compulsively checking the website once it got close to the date when they were released the year before, and then someone else posted that they had been NPR'd and so I checked again. Less than 2 hours after the first person posted I had received an email from JAG Accessions congratulating me, so you really don't need to worry about doing the compulsive checking.

The only reason you should log in right now is to make sure everything is submitted. You should have had to do that before they would schedule your interview, but just log in and make sure it shows submitted.

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Silver

Post by LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:51 pm

What is the opinion of airborne? The army says jags assigned to Bragg are expected to do it.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:41 pm

Anyon hear back from the Air Force on internships? Already accepted Navy but
curious

MarkfromWI

Bronze

Post by MarkfromWI » Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:20 am

LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:What is the opinion of airborne? The army says jags assigned to Bragg are expected to do it.
What do you mean what is the opinion of airborne? Whose opinion? And where did you see/hear that Bragg JAGs are expected to do it?

(The tone of this message is not meant to be confrontational at all. These questions are out of curiosity)

Stubbazubba

New

Post by Stubbazubba » Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:32 pm

So, any advice on where to start in this thread? 245 pages is quite a commitment for a 1L, though I'm terribly interested in JAG, and have been since before starting law school. Has any good soul compiled some highlights, or is it just "go as far back as you can stomach and catch up, you'll at least be current" ?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MarkfromWI

Bronze

Post by MarkfromWI » Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:45 pm

Stubbazubba wrote:So, any advice on where to start in this thread? 245 pages is quite a commitment for a 1L, though I'm terribly interested in JAG, and have been since before starting law school. Has any good soul compiled some highlights, or is it just "go as far back as you can stomach and catch up, you'll at least be current" ?
Honestly, I would start at the beginning. The first approximately 50-70 pages (I know that's a lot) have probably the most "meat in them as far as substantive info is concerned. After that it gradually starts devolving into regurgitation of info already stated and then people discussing the various boards as they come and go each year. At that point you may skim and find a few helpful tidbits here and there but not as consistently as you can earlier on.

howell

Silver

Post by howell » Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:46 pm

Stubbazubba wrote:So, any advice on where to start in this thread? 245 pages is quite a commitment for a 1L, though I'm terribly interested in JAG, and have been since before starting law school. Has any good soul compiled some highlights, or is it just "go as far back as you can stomach and catch up, you'll at least be current" ?
I have a OneNote notebook with the first 1/3 to 1/2 of the thread summarized and organized into sections. PM me with an e-mail address if you're interested.

Stubbazubba

New

Post by Stubbazubba » Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:36 pm

Thank you both.

Howell, PM sent.

Fed_Atty

Bronze

Post by Fed_Atty » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:18 am

Perhaps a few of us could collaborate. I can speak to the Navy from application through first few tours. Maybe we put something together and it gets stickied?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

NonTradLawHopeful

Bronze

Post by NonTradLawHopeful » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:49 am

MarkfromWI wrote:
LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:What is the opinion of airborne? The army says jags assigned to Bragg are expected to do it.
What do you mean what is the opinion of airborne? Whose opinion? And where did you see/hear that Bragg JAGs are expected to do it?

(The tone of this message is not meant to be confrontational at all. These questions are out of curiosity)
If you are at a unit that is an airborne unit (includes most of Fort Bragg), you would get sent to Airborne School. You'll also be sent to Air Assault School if you're at 95% of the units on Fort Campbell. Neither of them are all that difficult if you are physically fit and pay attention.

edja0603

New

Post by edja0603 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:50 pm

So I'm a little bit nervous, as JAX said point blank that I'm 100% likely to be disqualified by MEPS. Which means holding out hope on a waiver, where JAX says it's difficult to tell one way or the other which way it will go. It sucks to get so far and then to leave your chances on basically a coin flip. But I'm hopeful for a waiver. Anybody have any advice on what I should try and do? Anything I can do to tip a waiver more in my favor?

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:01 pm

edja0603 wrote:So I'm a little bit nervous, as JAX said point blank that I'm 100% likely to be disqualified by MEPS. Which means holding out hope on a waiver, where JAX says it's difficult to tell one way or the other which way it will go. It sucks to get so far and then to leave your chances on basically a coin flip. But I'm hopeful for a waiver. Anybody have any advice on what I should try and do? Anything I can do to tip a waiver more in my favor?
What's the issue they think you'll be disqualified for?

ShockTop

New

Post by ShockTop » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:10 pm

Not to hijack, but after reading through the pages here, I used an inhaler for exercise about 12 years ago for the course of a month or two. I haven't needed one since, playing seasons upon seasons of athletics in the interim. What are the odds of a waiver in that type of situation?
Last edited by ShockTop on Mon May 04, 2015 12:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

NonTradLawHopeful

Bronze

Post by NonTradLawHopeful » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:13 pm

ShockTop wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:
edja0603 wrote:So I'm a little bit nervous, as JAX said point blank that I'm 100% likely to be disqualified by MEPS. Which means holding out hope on a waiver, where JAX says it's difficult to tell one way or the other which way it will go. It sucks to get so far and then to leave your chances on basically a coin flip. But I'm hopeful for a waiver. Anybody have any advice on what I should try and do? Anything I can do to tip a waiver more in my favor?
Not to hijack, but after reading through the pages here, I used an inhaler for exercise about 12 years ago for the course of a month or two. I haven't needed one since, playing seasons upon seasons of athletics in the interim. What are the odds of a waiver in that type of situation?
If you don't use it anymore, it most likely won't be an issue. Which branch? My experience is with the Army, but my guess is for medical waivers they are all similar.

ShockTop

New

Post by ShockTop » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:15 pm

NonTradLawHopeful wrote:
ShockTop wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:
If you don't use it anymore, it most likely won't be an issue. Which branch? My experience is with the Army, but my guess is for medical waivers they are all similar.
I only applied to the Navy. My worry was the "Post 13 years old inhaler usage" thing. I was about 17-18 when I used it.

EDIT: Talked to my family doc out of curiosity. He said what he has done in the past for patients entering the armed forces is when they ask for documentation, he includes a letter saying that the patient (me) hasn't had symptoms in X number of years and in his medical opinion, I'm cured," or something to that effect, if it happens to be the case. He said he's never had an issue with it before, but the horror stories online are concerning.
Last edited by ShockTop on Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NonTradLawHopeful

Bronze

Post by NonTradLawHopeful » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:22 pm

You should be good with that documentation. When I first tried joining the military I was disqualified for a heart murmur and food allergies from first grade. Got documentation for both from a doctor and the decision was reversed. Sometimes I think the military just wants to see how badly you'll work to get through all the hoops.

JEB

Bronze

Post by JEB » Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:11 pm

To give the experience of someone who got cleared by MEPS last week:

I was diagnosed with asthma when I was 2 and last used an inhaler 8 years ago when I was 16. I hadn't had an issue since. When I first started considering JAG, my doctor did a spirometry test so that he could include a note in my file saying that I didn't have asthma anymore. Even with that (the spirometry test was 13 months old when MEPS got it), they made me do a pre-/post-bronchodilator spirometry test. I got it done and sent it in and they cleared me to physical.

When I got to MEPS, the doctor doing the interview asked me about it, but not terribly much. They cleared me straight through without any need for a waiver. Now, my pre-/post- showed normal PFT values with no change after being given an albuterol inhaler, so that ruled out asthma, but they will probably make you do that at least.

Good luck.

Edit: Probably should mention that I'm going Navy, but that really matters more on the waiver end, which MEPS didn't even make me worry about because they cleared me there.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Fed_Atty

Bronze

Post by Fed_Atty » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:51 am

I think most people are aware of the jag.navy.mil website. However, there is also a pretty good youtube channel with a number of Judge Advocates telling their story and some good overall information.

https://www.youtube.com/user/NavyJAGCorps

S. Goodman

Bronze

Post by S. Goodman » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:05 am

JEB wrote:To give the experience of someone who got cleared by MEPS last week:

I was diagnosed with asthma when I was 2 and last used an inhaler 8 years ago when I was 16. I hadn't had an issue since. When I first started considering JAG, my doctor did a spirometry test so that he could include a note in my file saying that I didn't have asthma anymore. Even with that (the spirometry test was 13 months old when MEPS got it), they made me do a pre-/post-bronchodilator spirometry test. I got it done and sent it in and they cleared me to physical.

When I got to MEPS, the doctor doing the interview asked me about it, but not terribly much. They cleared me straight through without any need for a waiver. Now, my pre-/post- showed normal PFT values with no change after being given an albuterol inhaler, so that ruled out asthma, but they will probably make you do that at least.

Good luck.

Edit: Probably should mention that I'm going Navy, but that really matters more on the waiver end, which MEPS didn't even make me worry about because they cleared me there.
Have you had to weigh in and do a PRT yet? Is that even required before you commission? Do you do that after you pass the BAR and go to training? Insight?

JEB

Bronze

Post by JEB » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:16 am

I had to be weighed, but don't have to do a prt until I report to ODS after the bar exam as far as I know.

S. Goodman

Bronze

Post by S. Goodman » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:17 am

JEB wrote:I had to be weighed, but don't have to do a prt until I report to ODS after the bar exam as far as I know.

Thanks.

So now that you are through MEPS, at what point does the commissioning happen, the point where you have to officially commit?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

JAG Hopeful

New

Post by JAG Hopeful » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:18 am

S. Goodman, this is my secondhand knowledge but it's accurate. First, the PFT Jeb refers to is the Pulmonary Function Test, something related to asthma and not to the Physical Readiness Test. The PRT you'll take for the first time when you report to ODS at Newport. Also, you do indeed have to have your bar passage in hand before going to ODS. As I understand it, if you fail the bar once, it's not good but it does happen to people occasionally. You simply go and take the next test. However, if you fail twice, the Navy will ask you to resign your commission and separate.

JEB

Bronze

Post by JEB » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:31 am

S. Goodman wrote:
JEB wrote:I had to be weighed, but don't have to do a prt until I report to ODS after the bar exam as far as I know.

Thanks.

So now that you are through MEPS, at what point does the commissioning happen, the point where you have to officially commit?
Goodman,

I'm still waiting on my final selection letter and commissioning documents. Those have to wait at least on my security clearance investigation being initiated. I don't know how long that will take. I will let you know when I get commissioned to give you an idea of how soon after MEPS clearance it happens.
JAG Hopeful wrote:S. Goodman, this is my secondhand knowledge but it's accurate. First, the PFT Jeb refers to is the Pulmonary Function Test, something related to asthma and not to the Physical Readiness Test. The PRT you'll take for the first time when you report to ODS at Newport. Also, you do indeed have to have your bar passage in hand before going to ODS. As I understand it, if you fail the bar once, it's not good but it does happen to people occasionally. You simply go and take the next test. However, if you fail twice, the Navy will ask you to resign your commission and separate.
Almost correct.

Everyone is expected to take the first bar exam after graduation (assuming you graduate in May, that means the July exam). After you take the bar exam, you are given orders to report to ODS either in August or October. You report to ODS before you have your bar results. After ODS, you return to inactive status until your bar results come in. Once you have your bar membership, then you report to the Basic Lawyer Course at NJS.

If you fail the bar exam twice, you are expected to resign your commission and separate.

ShockTop

New

Post by ShockTop » Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:17 pm

JEB wrote:
S. Goodman wrote:

Thanks.

Goodman,

I'm still waiting on my final selection letter and commissioning documents. Those have to wait at least on my security clearance investigation being initiated. I don't know how long that will take. I will let you know when I get commissioned to give you an idea of how soon after MEPS clearance it happens.
JAG Hopeful wrote:S. Goodman, this is my secondhand knowledge but it's accurate. First, the PFT Jeb refers to is the Pulmonary Function Test, something related to asthma and not to the Physical Readiness Test. The PRT you'll take for the first time when you report to ODS at Newport. Also, you do indeed have to have your bar passage in hand before going to ODS. As I understand it, if you fail the bar once, it's not good but it does happen to people occasionally. You simply go and take the next test. However, if you fail twice, the Navy will ask you to resign your commission and separate.
Almost correct.

Everyone is expected to take the first bar exam after graduation (assuming you graduate in May, that means the July exam). After you take the bar exam, you are given orders to report to ODS either in August or October. You report to ODS before you have your bar results. After ODS, you return to inactive status until your bar results come in. Once you have your bar membership, then you report to the Basic Lawyer Course at NJS.

If you fail the bar exam twice, you are expected to resign your commission and separate.
Thanks for that info about your experience with the asthma issue. Granted, I haven't even gotten in yet (applied DAP) and was figuring to get things squared away just in case. I even asked my doc about doing a PFT and he didn't seem to think it was necessary unless they asked for one.

JAG Hopeful

New

Post by JAG Hopeful » Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:53 pm

Thanks Jeb! That's some good extra information; I hadn't heard that about the waiting period, but that makes sense.

Along the medical qualification line, I'm working through being qualified right now too. I saw a doctor regarding the possibility of Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis when I was seven. They determined I didn't have it (as I read the medical records), but it could skunk my chances. Anyone heard of a similar case working out? I'm hopeful that if MEPS comes to a different conclusion, I can get a letter from my doctor certifying that I never had it and don't have it now and that would make a difference.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”