Military Law Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Americana

New

Re: Military Law

Post by Americana » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:41 am

Now the JARO website has been down for several days.

I'm still hoping to make it in and am excited to serve, but I have to admit the enthusiasm with which I viewed the JAG Reserve program back in February... March... April... June... etc. is beginning to lose a bit of its luster after seeing what a nebulous mess the process is.

Rocktober2007

Bronze

Post by Rocktober2007 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:41 am

Americana wrote:Now the JARO website has been down for several days.

I'm still hoping to make it in and am excited to serve, but I have to admit the enthusiasm with which I viewed the JAG Reserve program back in February... March... April... June... etc. is beginning to lose a bit of its luster after seeing what a nebulous mess the process is.
It's definitely been a long wait. I was hoping to finish my fall active duty application this week and start the September reserve application, but the application site is down too.

tcmturner

New

Post by tcmturner » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:48 pm

How useful is a JAG internship in getting full-time JAG after graduation? JAG is what I want more than anything, but I have no idea what I can do to improve my resume.

Patrick Bateman

Silver

Post by Patrick Bateman » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:19 pm

tcmturner wrote:How useful is a JAG internship in getting full-time JAG after graduation? JAG is what I want more than anything, but I have no idea what I can do to improve my resume.
From the AF perspective:

For your typical civilian Direct Appointment Program (DAP) applicant, it is a huge asset to an application package. It gives you a 10 week immersion in what day-to-day operations are like at a Wing and what you can reasonably expect out of your first two assignments. More importantly, it gives you 10 weeks to demonstrate to the office personnel that you have those "it" qualities expected of an officer and Judge Advocate. You will get opportunity to get to know the SJA that will be writing your recommendation letter and prove your mettle through your work product. With how cutthroat selection stats are right now, not even a great internship can guarantee your selection, but it will put you in a better position.

If you are still a 0L/1L you should also be looking into the OYCP/GLP ROTC programs.

heyguys

Bronze

Post by heyguys » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:34 am

2L here--anyone else having serious difficulty with either the Army or Navy online applications? Neither will load for me--they both time out.

Also, I can't figure out for the life of me how to apply to Marine JAG for their 2L summer.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:49 am

heyguys wrote:2L here--anyone else having serious difficulty with either the Army or Navy online applications? Neither will load for me--they both time out.

Also, I can't figure out for the life of me how to apply to Marine JAG for their 2L summer.
I do not believe the Marines do a summer internship.

ETA: unless you mean doing whatever infantry related training they do... in which case you simply apply to the Marines and if they take you they will be happy to tell you what to do during your summer.

heyguys

Bronze

Post by heyguys » Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:24 pm

spleenworship wrote:
heyguys wrote:2L here--anyone else having serious difficulty with either the Army or Navy online applications? Neither will load for me--they both time out.

I do not believe the Marines do a summer internship.

ETA: unless you mean doing whatever infantry related training they do... in which case you simply apply to the Marines and if they take you they will be happy to tell you what to do during your summer.

Yes, I meant regarding OCS, which I understand they do during the 2L summer.

I'm primarily interested in the Navy, but Marines would be my second choice followed by Army. That said, I am having absolutely no luck with the log in function on the Navy's application website. I've already registered two emails, tried the password logins with them, been rejected (for some reason), then unsuccessfully tried to recover the password. I never received any email verification of the account or anything of the sort.

heyguys

Bronze

Post by heyguys » Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:34 pm

If I could tack on one more question about the Navy JAG:

How is the internship different from the application in general?

Here's what I have in mind:

http://www.jag.navy.mil/careers_/career ... nship.html

v.

--LinkRemoved--

Is it just that the latter is the one that involves the full commitment to the JAG corps?

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:51 pm

Yes, one is joining the Navy, the other is doing an internship with the Navy.

These websites aren't that complicated.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Minnesota3L

New

Post by Minnesota3L » Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:54 pm

Does anyone know how long Army JAGCNET is supposed to be down for?

Rocktober2007

Bronze

Post by Rocktober2007 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:22 am

Minnesota3L wrote:Does anyone know how long Army JAGCNET is supposed to be down for?
Nope :(

I'm dying to hear about Army Reserve board results.

JP_Spungo

New

Post by JP_Spungo » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:35 pm

Minnesota3L wrote:Does anyone know how long Army JAGCNET is supposed to be down for?
Along the same lines, does anyone here know whether Army JAGCNET's being down is supposed to be a planned occurrence? (i.e. for maintenance, etc.) Was there any announcement or did the site simply go dark?

Rocktober2007

Bronze

Post by Rocktober2007 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:13 pm

JP_Spungo wrote:
Along the same lines, does anyone here know whether Army JAGCNET's being down is supposed to be a planned occurrence? (i.e. for maintenance, etc.) Was there any announcement or did the site simply go dark?
Doesn't seem to be planned. The JARO facebook page is probably the best source of info right now.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Minnesota3L

New

Post by Minnesota3L » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:05 pm

It was supposed to go down in late July for maintenance...not sure if it was back up in between now and then, but it seems like it's been down for a while.

Rocktober2007

Bronze

Post by Rocktober2007 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:07 pm

JARO's facebook page says that the April 2011 Reserve board results have been posted and that the JARO website should be back up "within the next day or two." Good luck fellow Reserve applicants! Hopefully we get good news once the site goes back up.

howell

Silver

Post by howell » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:34 pm

Just curious if any of the AF summer interns have heard from the Air Force Law Review. PMs are welcome if that would be better.

CFC_Essien

New

Post by CFC_Essien » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:04 pm

Does it hurt ones chances of getting into a branch (e.g. Air Force) if you intern with another branch (e.g. Coast Guard)?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Esquire

Bronze

Post by Esquire » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:19 pm

Here's an update: I was contacted by the Army about getting medical clearance. They asked for info and now I'm waiting for them to set up an appointment. Anyone have any experience with how it goes?
CFC_Essien wrote:Does it hurt ones chances of getting into a branch (e.g. Air Force) if you intern with another branch (e.g. Coast Guard)?
Nope. It helps. I know a guy who did Army 1L summer, USAF 2L, and then got selected for Navy in December of his 2L year.

The USAF and Navy didn't know about each other but they definitely wanted one of the coveted Army 25 1Ls.

tcmturner

New

Post by tcmturner » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:11 pm

When you click through the AF JAG website to find the Summer Internship info it directs you to USA Jobs.gov. But I'm not seeing any info there about applications for summer internships. Am I missing it?

NavyJag

New

Post by NavyJag » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:38 am

Navy Jag here, in less than a year so not a lot of perspective, but I figured I'd add my voice to anyone looking for Navy specific questions (or JAG questions in general).

Americana

New

Post by Americana » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:22 am

jess8328 wrote:JARO's facebook page says that the April 2011 Reserve board results have been posted and that the JARO website should be back up "within the next day or two." Good luck fellow Reserve applicants! Hopefully we get good news once the site goes back up.
Jess, this info had been killing me. Why would they even tell us the results were in if they know we can't see them?

In other news, I received a call from my LSO last night telling me I was in. I will keep my fingers crossed for you!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Rocktober2007

Bronze

Post by Rocktober2007 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:49 pm

Americana wrote:
jess8328 wrote:JARO's facebook page says that the April 2011 Reserve board results have been posted and that the JARO website should be back up "within the next day or two." Good luck fellow Reserve applicants! Hopefully we get good news once the site goes back up.
Jess, this info had been killing me. Why would they even tell us the results were in if they know we can't see them?

In other news, I received a call from my LSO last night telling me I was in. I will keep my fingers crossed for you!
Congrats!! I got a call yesterday afternoon from JARO letting me know that I was in too. :D I've decided to accept it and not continue with my active duty applications for Army and Air Force. I'm beyond excited to become an Army JAG reservist!

Patrick Bateman

Silver

Post by Patrick Bateman » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:49 pm

tcmturner wrote:When you click through the AF JAG website to find the Summer Internship info it directs you to USA Jobs.gov. But I'm not seeing any info there about applications for summer internships. Am I missing it?
If memory serves, this issue has come up the past few years. When I talked to JAX about it last time, the listing simply had not bee posted on USAJOBS yet. There is a specific time window for the listing.

I would just call JAX to confirm when the listing will be active on USAJOBS.

CFC_Essien

New

Post by CFC_Essien » Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:46 pm

jess8328 wrote:
Americana wrote:

Congrats!! I got a call yesterday afternoon from JARO letting me know that I was in too. :D I've decided to accept it and not continue with my active duty applications for Army and Air Force. I'm beyond excited to become an Army JAG reservist!
Congratulations to you both! Excuse my ignorance, but what does a reservist actually entail? Are you considered a civilian, etc.?

Again, congrats!

lsatClay

New

Post by lsatClay » Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:42 pm

So I'm trying for the AF OYCP. I have a meeting scheduled with my local AFROTC detachment (not the hiring interview) this week just to go over if they are willing to accept me as a cadet.
A) How should I dress? As of now I'm planning on being fully suited, but I'm concerned about being overdressed.
B) Also, anyone know what I should expect question wise? Are they going to grill me with any tough q's like why I want to be a JAG, why the air-force, etc., or is it just going to be a "do you meet the qualifications" type deal?

Any input is greatly appreciated, as I have no idea what to expect.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”