Military Law Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
frankbeans

New

Re: Military Law

Post by frankbeans » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
hkh2220 wrote:Army AD for Jan 2018 Class-

Does anyone know anything about when we sign our commissioning documents or get a look at potential duty stations?

Maybe someone from previous classes can shed light- I know in years past it's been right around early/mid November.
Training starts in less than two months. I hope we hear something soon.
Agreed. I would like to reference an objective document that definitively states I have a seat for the upcoming class. I'm sure its common that everyone in our position is somewhat anxious, but I fear a last-minute "class is cancelled" or "you lost your spot."

Bcmurphy42

New

Post by Bcmurphy42 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:13 pm

Hey all, I got that awesome phone call last week as well! Pretty excited about it.

I have been practicing for a little two years and have a very successful practice thanks to some great senior attorneys in my office. My decision to apply for JAG was out of a sense of service and so badly want to serve my country as a JAG, it’s really been a dream.

However, my wife is pregnant with or second child (due in February) and I have my practice with 150-200 active clients with trials scheduled out as far as March.

I am wondering if anyone has ever been in a situation where they were able to delay COT/JASOC! I need to wind up my practice and obviously be there for my new child, if at all possible.

Any thoughts!? Any feedback is appreciated!

froglaw23

New

Post by froglaw23 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:51 pm

Bcmurphy42 wrote:Hey all, I got that awesome phone call last week as well! Pretty excited about it.

I have been practicing for a little two years and have a very successful practice thanks to some great senior attorneys in my office. My decision to apply for JAG was out of a sense of service and so badly want to serve my country as a JAG, it’s really been a dream.

However, my wife is pregnant with or second child (due in February) and I have my practice with 150-200 active clients with trials scheduled out as far as March.

I am wondering if anyone has ever been in a situation where they were able to delay COT/JASOC! I need to wind up my practice and obviously be there for my new child, if at all possible.

I'm in nearly the same placed. Received the call last week and extremely excited. Been practicing for a while and was told that March COT was likely. However, wife is due with our first baby right in the middle of COT and it hasn't been an easy pregnancy, so I need to be there for my wife/new child too. Ideally I'd do COT in January...but if not - how have peoples experiences been with delaying, even if just one COT class to May/JASOC in July? Thanks for the feedback!

Patrick Bateman

Silver

Post by Patrick Bateman » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:51 am

froglaw23 wrote:
Bcmurphy42 wrote:Hey all, I got that awesome phone call last week as well! Pretty excited about it.

I'm in nearly the same placed. Received the call last week and extremely excited. Been practicing for a while and was told that March COT was likely. However, wife is due with our first baby right in the middle of COT and it hasn't been an easy pregnancy, so I need to be there for my wife/new child too. Ideally I'd do COT in January...but if not - how have peoples experiences been with delaying, even if just one COT class to May/JASOC in July? Thanks for the feedback!
You all just need to call JAX and explain your situation. Lay it out and see if they are willing to deal.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:58 pm

For those waiting on JAOBC, here are some useful links on what to expect:

http://www.benning.army.mil/infantry/199th/dcc/

https://www.garrettham.com/army-dcc-1/

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:59 pm

Is it true that its harder to get selected for any of the JAG's if you just apply in the spring?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:59 pm

Is it true that its harder to get selected for any of the JAG's if you just apply in the spring?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:23 pm

Just had my SJA interview for OYCP. Now what? Do I just sit back and wait for selection results? Is there anything I should be doing in the mean time?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:Is it true that its harder to get selected for any of the JAG's if you just apply in the spring?
Depends on the branch and if you're a 2L or 3L. For the Navy it's probably easier for 2L's to get selected in the spring than fall (they select very few in the fall). Overall selection rates are about the same though.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:24 pm

Heading to 205th JAOBC. Question, will the Army pay to ship a vehicle to DCC in January?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Heading to 205th JAOBC. Question, will the Army pay to ship a vehicle to DCC in January?
Put simply, the answer is no, but you will be reimbursed at least for the cost of airfare from your location to DCC, and may be reimbursed for mileage & many other expenses depending on where you are coming from, your active/reserve/ng status, and your follow-on assignment.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Heading to 205th JAOBC. Question, will the Army pay to ship a vehicle to DCC in January?
Put simply, the answer is no, but you will be reimbursed at least for the cost of airfare from your location to DCC, and may be reimbursed for mileage & many other expenses depending on where you are coming from, your active/reserve/ng status, and your follow-on assignment.
So we aren't arranging for travel through Carlson Wagonlit?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
So we aren't arranging for travel through Carlson Wagonlit?
That will depend on your swear-in date, AD/RC/NG status, and other administrative considerations.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:11 pm

Anyone done the OYCP or GLP who could speak to the process of what happens after you take the bar? Have heard some people getting duty assignments (and maybe a paycheck too?) very quick and some not for 3-4 months after. Wondering if the community here has any insight.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:24 pm

Can anyone who was selected for OYCP give a timeline of after selection? How long after did you go to MEPS? What about finding out about you Field Training dates? After graduating (and passing the bar) how long until you were called to active duty?

Also, I was told that doing OYCP or GLP you can report to active duty before getting bar results, is this true?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:44 pm

Received my approval for selection board consideration for Army Reserve earlier. Anyone else going for Army Reserve?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Received my approval for selection board consideration for Army Reserve earlier. Anyone else going for Army Reserve?
I applied for both, but would probably take Reserve if given the choice.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:28 pm

Does anyone know how JARO will get the word out regarding assignments? Very excited to find out where I'm going, hoping we'll get word soon.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Received my approval for selection board consideration for Army Reserve earlier. Anyone else going for Army Reserve?
I applied for reserve only, so I wonder if that increases or decreases my chance of being selected. Excited at prospect of serving, but scared at how much I will need to get into shape even before showing up at training.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know how JARO will get the word out regarding assignments? Very excited to find out where I'm going, hoping we'll get word soon.
LTC Blackwell called me Tuesday afternoon with my assignment. I'm dual military so I'm not sure if that's why she called me earlier this week. I got my number 1 pick.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
I applied for reserve only, so I wonder if that increases or decreases my chance of being selected. Excited at prospect of serving, but scared at how much I will need to get into shape even before showing up at training.
Glad I'm not the only one with that concern.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Glad I'm not the only one with that concern.
OP here, I have the same concerns for both the increase/decreased chances of serving and getting into shape. However, RE: chances of getting accepted, I've been at a DA's Office for just over a year at this point and love the work I do. I won't be too devastated if I don't get accepted, but it's a little concerning how informal the application process felt up to this point for the Reserve only component. Hitting up my State Bar for a certificate of good standing and getting transcripts were the only legwork I had to do. Even beyond that, I told my direct boss at the office "I'm thinking of applying for Army Reserve JAG, I need to take a few hours off to interview with a Field Screening Officer at a coffee shop in [town 45 minutes away]."

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:20 pm

To the fitness point, is there any "boot camp" element to DCC? I didn't see anything searching this thread or in any of the guides via google. I'm sure morning PT is rough and the O-course challenging, but I didn't see anything about getting smoked or yelled at or ran around from event to event or anything like that.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:41 pm

How long do we have between being selected and needing to report for a military medical evaluation?

frankbeans

New

Post by frankbeans » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:51 pm

[quote="Anonymous User"]How long do we have between being selected and needing to report for a military medical evaluation?[/q]

Selected for what?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”