Military Law Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
spleenworship

Gold

Re: Military Law

Post by spleenworship » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:06 pm

It looks like I can reapply with the Navy if I got 1 new LOR sent in and updated my LS transcript after grades came out. Everything is saved in there.

Update my personal statement and do the above in the next two months? Totally doable. I'm going to try again I think.

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:38 pm

Kind of surprised no one else is posting in here one way or the other re: Navy.

mlittle5

New

Post by mlittle5 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:55 pm

spleenworship wrote:Kind of surprised no one else is posting in here one way or the other re: Navy.
Agreed. Even with only 300 applicants, I bet at least half have read this thread. This is really the only information hub for the Navy that I've seen.

travellingboarder

New

Post by travellingboarder » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:02 pm

mlittle5 wrote:
spleenworship wrote:Kind of surprised no one else is posting in here one way or the other re: Navy.
Agreed. Even with only 300 applicants, I bet at least half have read this thread. This is really the only information hub for the Navy that I've seen.
300 apps seems awfully small…I know they do two recruitments a year, but still.

Dani2920

New

Post by Dani2920 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:08 pm

Professionally Recommended for Navy SP. Thrilled :D

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:09 pm

Dani2920 wrote:Professionally Recommended for Navy SP. Thrilled :D
Congrats!

armyhooah

New

Post by armyhooah » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:55 pm

Quick question: When was the deadline for Navy? Was it also November 1st? I looked online, and it seems like the next deadline is Feb. 14th. Is that right?

Congrats to those who heard positively from Navy and good luck to those trying again!

New

Post by 31415926 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:29 pm

Does anybody still have "Pending"?

wesangler

New

Post by wesangler » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:30 am

Also professionally recommended. Thrilled and thankful for all the helpful information in this thread throughout the process. Good luck to anyone applying for the spring board.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Massimiliano

New

Post by Massimiliano » Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:38 pm

Anyone know when Army internship results should come out?

target

Silver

Post by target » Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:08 pm

spleenworship wrote:Not professionally recommended for the Navy.

:(
Sorry to hear. You probably will get into either AF or Army.

Does any current AF JAGs know if the Dec board has met yet?

pj1024

New

Post by pj1024 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:52 pm

Looks like Army Active Duty results may be possibly delayed until January. Intern results usually come out a week before AD results and so far no word on either of those.

travellingboarder

New

Post by travellingboarder » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:21 pm

pj1024 wrote:Looks like Army Active Duty results may be possibly delayed until January. Intern results usually come out a week before AD results and so far no word on either of those.
Is this just speculation re: AD results in January (based on previous boards/timelines)? I've been searching for any info on when the AD list will drop and I haven't found anything...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

pj1024

New

Post by pj1024 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:24 pm

travellingboarder wrote:
pj1024 wrote:Looks like Army Active Duty results may be possibly delayed until January. Intern results usually come out a week before AD results and so far no word on either of those.
Is this just speculation re: AD results in January (based on previous boards/timelines)? I've been searching for any info on when the AD list will drop and I haven't found anything...
The intern list dropped 1 year ago today and the AD list dropped 1 week after that. Two years ago the AD list dropped on Jan. 8 I think

travellingboarder

New

Post by travellingboarder » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:39 pm

pj1024 wrote:
travellingboarder wrote:
The intern list dropped 1 year ago today and the AD list dropped 1 week after that. Two years ago the AD list dropped on Jan. 8 I think
Did the AD list drop a week after the intern list 2 years ago? I applied for AD last year, so I remember the date (my FSO called the Thursday before the list dropped with the bad news). I remember the intern list dropping a week before last year…maybe AD will come out before the intern list this year! Perhaps they've been waiting on Congress to pass/agree on a budget. Who knows...

travellingboarder

New

Post by travellingboarder » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:04 pm

travellingboarder wrote:
pj1024 wrote:
travellingboarder wrote:
Did the AD list drop a week after the intern list 2 years ago? I applied for AD last year, so I remember the date (my FSO called the Thursday before the list dropped with the bad news). I remember the intern list dropping a week before last year…maybe AD will come out before the intern list this year! Perhaps they've been waiting on Congress to pass/agree on a budget. Who knows...
Looks like AD results came out before internship results in FY11 and FY12. I'm just optimistic that they will drop next week…Here's to optimism!

sarahbobara

New

Post by sarahbobara » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:40 pm

pj, why do you say this? How do you know they will be delayed?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

armyhooah

New

Post by armyhooah » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:15 pm

There's no way to know. Sometimes internship results are posted after AD. I feel like it could be as early as the 20th for AD or perhaps even Christmas week. One year, results were posted the day after Christmas. We'll just have to hang tight. (Hard as it is!)

AT9

Gold

Post by AT9 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:45 pm

Glad I found this thread - this is super helpful. While I'm sure that answers to my questions are buried deep inside this 200+ page monster, it will probably take a long time to find them. So...

1. I gather that getting AF JAG is easier by going through the graduate law program. How much easier is to to get accepted into GLP as opposed to direct appointment?

2. What are the downsides to going with the AF GLP?

3. After the four-year service commitment, a) how many people choose to remain in JAG and b) how difficult is it? Is it a matter of just choosing an extension, or is the AF pretty selective about who gets to stay in?

4. Do you get much say in what type of law you practice?

I'm highly interested in the AF JAG. Given that most of my choices don't do super well with biglaw type gigs (accepted at mostly tier 1 regionals), the job security and benefits of the AF are extremely enticing. And it's not just for financial reasons, either. My dad was a 20-year AF pilot and I've spent more time on AF bases than most JAGs will in their careers, so going into the AF seems natural and desirable for me. It's an opportunity to use my skills and knowledge while serving at the same time, all while reaping the benefits of being an AF officer. I'm like 50-75% sure I'll try to get into the GLP based on research I've done so far. Thanks for any input!

BigJH18

New

Post by BigJH18 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:12 pm

This forum has been a big help. Thanks to everyone who has posted, i've read a lot of it. I was curious if anyone on here has successfully applied for the Air Force GLP or OYCP?

I am 2L and I am currently applying for the OYCP. I was wondering if anyone else on here is applying as well?

Also if anyone has information on more recent acceptance statistics regarding the OYCP it would be greatly appreciated.

Patrick Bateman

Silver

Post by Patrick Bateman » Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:04 am

AT9 wrote: While I'm sure that answers to my questions are buried deep inside this 200+ page monster, it will probably take a long time to find them. So...
It took an even longer time for all the contributors to gain the experience and write out all the information over the past five years. So do you homework. "It's inconvenient so I'd rather have you do the work for me" does not really inspire me to want to help. That said:
AT9 wrote:1. I gather that getting AF JAG is easier by going through the graduate law program. How much easier is to to get accepted into GLP as opposed to direct appointment?
This is incorrect. There are less applicants for GLP/OYCP but there are also far less people accepted. You'll have hundreds and hundreds apply for a DAP board that will only accept 30. You may only have a hundred apply for GLP/OYCP but they are picking up maybe 5 for each of the programs.
AT9 wrote:2. What are the downsides to going with the AF GLP?
None. It is obviously through ROTC versus OTS, so it is different, but I can't say there is any downside.
AT9 wrote:3. After the four-year service commitment, a) how many people choose to remain in JAG and b) how difficult is it? Is it a matter of just choosing an extension, or is the AF pretty selective about who gets to stay in?
The vast majority of my friends/peers stayed in past the four year mark. I don't have any hard numbers. I can think of maybe a half dozen from my JASOC class of 70 that are now out. The economy is garbage, especially for Federal jobs, so that might be a factor. Deployments are also scaling down, which can make things easier.

Difficult is a relative question. If your goal is just to say in, it's not hard if you can avoid getting a DWI or committing fraternization/adultery. That all assumes that you are checking all the other blocks and adapt to the military. From a military family, this probably won't be an issue for you, but I still see first tour JAGs that just don't seem to get it.

Due to sequestration, we are still in a period of active downsizing. JAGs are not immune. During my first assignment there was a retention board in which some JAGs were involuntarily separated. I would not be shocked if something that came around again in the next 2 years. That all said, if you have your shit together, it is not at all difficult to stay in - the ultimate question is not staying in, but staying in and doing something that you want career wise or location wise.

AT9 wrote:4. Do you get much say in what type of law you practice?
Very little. Your first four years are pretty standard - running a civil law and military justice section for years 1-2, PCSing, and then running the civil law and military justice division for years 3-4. There are exceptions to this - some folks will be selected for ADC or a few other specialty jobs at the 2-3 year mark instead of four.

The good SJAs will usually try to use you in a way that maximizes your talents - if you are effective in the courtroom and want to be an ADC, they can detail you to more courts. If you are a contracts guy at heart, they can keep you in civil law more. Etc.

It all depends on where you are and who you end up working for. You'll get to express your preference but after that, it is all out of your hands.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

AT9

Gold

Post by AT9 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:35 am

Patrick Bateman wrote:
AT9 wrote: While I'm sure that answers to my questions are buried deep inside this 200+ page monster, it will probably take a long time to find them. So...
It took an even longer time for all the contributors to gain the experience and write out all the information over the past five years. So do you homework. "It's inconvenient so I'd rather have you do the work for me" does not really inspire me to want to help. That said:
Whoa, sorry. Didn't mean to come across as the selfish dick that I apparently did. I had a few burning questions that were not directly answered (that I could find) in the early portion of the thread, so I was hoping someone could quickly tackle those. I still plan to read through most of this thread and, as I mentioned in the part you deleted, it has all been super helpful. I would have had 20+ more questions had I not spent any time doing some homework on my own.

Anyway, thank you so much for the info. Question 1 surprises me because earlier in the thread, someone mentioned that GLP/OYCP acceptance rates were much more forgiving than DAP. That's an important question for me because if GLP acceptance were notably easier, I probably would have ruled out the one school on my list that doesn't have either program (W&M). Given that the chances are no better, I don't necessarily need to cross it off my list. Thanks again!

andythefir

Silver

Post by andythefir » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:01 am

AT9 wrote:
Patrick Bateman wrote:
That's an important question for me because if GLP acceptance were notably easier, I probably would have ruled out the one school on my list that doesn't have either program (W&M). Given that the chances are no better, I don't necessarily need to cross it off my list. Thanks again!
If I could offer some advice, I would't rule out a school based on their compatibility/incompatibility with some JAG requirements. For a frame of reference, the last Air Force board had an 11% acceptance rate, up from the usual 1-2% acceptance rate. There are many people on this board who went to law school with plan A being the JAG corp. and are striking out over and over (like me). The process is just way too idiosyncratic and unpredictable to make such a huge decision based on it alone. Some schools, like William and Mary or ND, do place more into the JAG. But the toughest thing about applying is that you don't ever get a definitive "no," and the closest you get is after every other kind of employment is no longer meaningfully available.

AT9

Gold

Post by AT9 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:20 am

andythefir wrote:
AT9 wrote:
Patrick Bateman wrote:
That's an important question for me because if GLP acceptance were notably easier, I probably would have ruled out the one school on my list that doesn't have either program (W&M). Given that the chances are no better, I don't necessarily need to cross it off my list. Thanks again!
If I could offer some advice, I would't rule out a school based on their compatibility/incompatibility with some JAG requirements. For a frame of reference, the last Air Force board had an 11% acceptance rate, up from the usual 1-2% acceptance rate. There are many people on this board who went to law school with plan A being the JAG corp. and are striking out over and over (like me). The process is just way too idiosyncratic and unpredictable to make such a huge decision based on it alone. Some schools, like William and Mary or ND, do place more into the JAG. But the toughest thing about applying is that you don't ever get a definitive "no," and the closest you get is after every other kind of employment is no longer meaningfully available.
Thanks for the advice. I only would have made that type of decision if the GLP acceptance was something like 25% vs. 10% for DAP. Given that there seems to be little or no positives with regard to increasing your chances, there's no reason for me to rule it out. And I'm glad because I like W&M. I know Hampton Roads is a huge Navy area, but I was surprised to find no ROTC detachment in the area.

Fed_Atty

Bronze

Post by Fed_Atty » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:41 am

The good SJAs will usually try to use you in a way that maximizes your talents - if you are effective in the courtroom and want to be an ADC, they can detail you to more courts.
That's interesting. For the Navy, it is the respective CO that details the trial and defense counsel (although they typically delegate it down to the Senior Trial Counsel and Senior Defense Counsel, respectively.)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”