Military Law Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Patrick Bateman

Silver

Re: Military Law

Post by Patrick Bateman » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:29 pm

howell wrote:For anyone who has left active duty, would employers even give you a look if you hadn't initiated the separation process yet?
You need to be able to give them at least some idea of when you can start. I was very clear in my cover letters that my DOS is X, I could start as early as Y with terminal leave, etc [do not actually use any military personnel terms in the letter - write in normal English]. Having been on the hiring side for BigFed, date of availability is something I would really want to see in a cover letter for someone coming off of active duty. Some agencies have an honest to god need to plug a hole w/ manning and want someone yesterday. Others are just doing their standard annual hiring based on whatever the budget is and may not be in a particular hurry.

I think you will have a tough time getting traction if they can't get a sense if you are ready to start at the end of the month or a year from now.

This obviously makes putting in your separation notice a difficult thing to do as it creates a lot of uncertainty. Start applying a full year out from your DOS. I think you already have my regular contact information - if you want to discuss, feel free to reach out.

FSUAttorney

New

Post by FSUAttorney » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:44 am

I received the tax LLM before joining, but it was a big plus during the interview.

mt2165

Silver

Post by mt2165 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:01 pm

Hi all,

Considering JAG over the course of my next couple years - to take advantage of military-sponsored student loan repayment - I presume you can't refinance your federal loans with something like SoFi? Thanks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:12 pm

mt2165 wrote:Hi all,

Considering JAG over the course of my next couple years - to take advantage of military-sponsored student loan repayment - I presume you can't refinance your federal loans with something like SoFi? Thanks.
I think you're referring to public service loan forgiveness? And no, the government only would forgive certain types of federal student loans. Def. do not refinance through SoFi if you plan to take that route.

Houzy

New

Post by Houzy » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:42 pm

If that's your only motivation for going the JAG route, I would definitely reconsider. It's pretty unanimous at this point that a prerequisite for JAG is that you should be dedicated and genuinely want to serve.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Patrick Bateman

Silver

Post by Patrick Bateman » Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:11 pm

PSLF is a 10 year commitment by the way.

All the information on exactly how things need to be repaid to qualify for forgiveness (consolidation, payment plans, etc) are all easily found with a quick internet search. This forum is not a substitute for doing basic research on one’s own.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:24 am

Just submitted my AF DAP application and have an interview scheduled. Read thru pretty much this entire thread, but did not see anything about how the AF interview works.

I already know who I am interviewing with. If anyone can give some details on the structure it would be helpful. I know Navy asks the same set of questions to everyone. Is AF the same or is it more of a normal job interview where they ask you questions about your background, leadership, why you want to be in the AF, etc?

Thanks (and thanks for all the great info in this thread).

Standish

New

Post by Standish » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:19 pm

Do Army JAGs go on field exercises and NTC rotations? If they do, can anyone shed light on what JAGs do during these exercises and what living conditions are like?

MarkfromWI

Bronze

Post by MarkfromWI » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just submitted my AF DAP application and have an interview scheduled. Read thru pretty much this entire thread, but did not see anything about how the AF interview works.

I already know who I am interviewing with. If anyone can give some details on the structure it would be helpful. I know Navy asks the same set of questions to everyone. Is AF the same or is it more of a normal job interview where they ask you questions about your background, leadership, why you want to be in the AF, etc?

The Air Force is definitely more of a "normal" job interview. I was asked all of the questions you mentioned, plus other miscellaneous questions about how well I thought I would fit in with military life (e.g., whether I was comfortable with the idea of a deployment, how my spouse felt about me joining, etc.). If you did an internship with one of the branches, be prepared to talk about that experience and the work you did. I did an internship with the Army, so my AF interview asked about whether I was applying for a slot with them too, which was my preferred branch, and why. Beyond that, I'm sure it will be largely dependent on the individual interviewer. I interviewed with the AF twice (once for OYCP, once for DAP), and as far as I can remember I was never asked a behavioral interview question (i.e., "Tell me about a time where you had to ______.").

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lharle

New

Post by lharle » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just submitted my AF DAP application and have an interview scheduled. Read thru pretty much this entire thread, but did not see anything about how the AF interview works.

My interview began as conversational, going down my resume, experiences in internships and mock trial, etc. There was a transition to a formal sheet (looked like a standard form) the SJA went off of---first question off of that sheet was, "What volunteer work did you do in law school?" I had an answer, but I was not expecting that question.

lharle

New

Post by lharle » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:42 pm

Hey everyone, I'm a 3L AF DAP Select from the October Board. I have had a difficult time communicating with the folks at JAX regarding MEPS.

Without being too specific: In November, I filled out pre-screening paperwork with help over the phone from a JAX employee. My understanding was a MEPS base would soon contact me to schedule a time to come by. A few months and e-mails later, I got a call in late January saying I would need to re-complete my paperwork in order to be in compliance with new Trump Administration guidelines. I immediately e-mailed a good time to have a phone appointment to fill out the paperwork, but I have not heard anything since. I have sent reminder and check in e-mails once every two or three weeks, but I have not gotten any response.

Is anyone else having similar issues?

I understand I am a very low priority right now, so I don't mind if they don't want to deal with me until after I receive bar results. But, I would just like to know what to expect--right now I feel like something has gone wrong.

Any feedback is appreciated!

howell

Silver

Post by howell » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:49 pm

There is guidance for what areas an SJA should ask you about in an interview, but no prescribed format. At most bases, you will probably meet with some of the Captains for a bit, and maybe go to lunch with them. You'll then be handed off to the SJA for a 30-120 minute interview. At larger, busier bases, it might be more of a cattle call with shorter SJA interviews and time spent touring the base or something. At very small bases, you might just go straight in, interview with the SJA, and leave.

There are no prescribed questions, but there are certain areas you'll have to talk about. Each SJA will be different. Most will want to have a conversation with you and really get to know you. But they all have to write up what they think about your background/experience/training in trial/litigation work and various civil law areas. They'll have to address your interpersonal and communications skills along with your leadership potential. Any prior military experience will be discussed, as will any of the "flags" such as drug use, prior arrests, etc. Beyond that, you will very likely be asked about your thoughts on deployment as well as what you think about the PT requirements.

I believe we've discussed this here before, but PT requirements are a very good example of how you should prepare. If I ask you your thoughts on the PT requirements, and you say you like to run, that's fine. The requirements can easily be located with a quick Google search, however. So a response of "Yes, the requirements for my age and gender are A, B, C, and D, and I gave myself a mock test and scored X," shows that you actually want to be a JAG and aren't just applying in April of your 3L year to get a job. Motivation statements always talk about a life-long commitment to service, how much the applicant wants to be a JAG, etc. But if you don't know we have to run a mile and a half every 6 or 12 months, it calls into question how much you know about what you're getting into. This isn't sink or swim, but just an example of how you can separate yourself from a very well-qualified pack. SJAs often have many very good candidates with little difference between them, so everything counts. And being able to say "She is ready to go today" versus "He has great potential" can be one way to do that.

This thread is probably the most helpful online resource for preparing for these interviews.

FSUAttorney

New

Post by FSUAttorney » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:45 am

Any word from the Army JAG boards?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Backload

New

Post by Backload » Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:19 pm

lharle wrote:Hey everyone, I'm a 3L AF DAP Select from the October Board. I have had a difficult time communicating with the folks at JAX regarding MEPS.

Without being too specific: In November, I filled out pre-screening paperwork with help over the phone from a JAX employee. My understanding was a MEPS base would soon contact me to schedule a time to come by. A few months and e-mails later, I got a call in late January saying I would need to re-complete my paperwork in order to be in compliance with new Trump Administration guidelines. I immediately e-mailed a good time to have a phone appointment to fill out the paperwork, but I have not heard anything since. I have sent reminder and check in e-mails once every two or three weeks, but I have not gotten any response.

I understand I am a very low priority right now, so I don't mind if they don't want to deal with me until after I receive bar results. But, I would just like to know what to expect--right now I feel like something has gone wrong.

Everyone has trouble with accessions. They are just slow and it’s like one person doing it. But you have a ton of time. They can either send you to meps soon or wait till after bar results. You are most likely looking at January COT so just enjoy the rest of 3L

CaseClosed

New

Post by CaseClosed » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:35 pm

Fivedham wrote:Has anyone going Army JAG this summer gotten orders for JAOBC yet? My DCC orders are in, and I have a course reservation for JAOBC, but no orders yet. Do they just wait until 1-2 months out to issue them?
Spoke to JARO recently. I was told they are working on them within the next couple weeks, I would PM you but apparently that feature has been removed.

Fivedham

Bronze

Post by Fivedham » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:41 am

CaseClosed wrote:
Fivedham wrote:Has anyone going Army JAG this summer gotten orders for JAOBC yet? My DCC orders are in, and I have a course reservation for JAOBC, but no orders yet. Do they just wait until 1-2 months out to issue them?
Spoke to JARO recently. I was told they are working on them within the next couple weeks, I would PM you but apparently that feature has been removed.
Thanks. I'm in the Guard so my state is handling it, they said orders might not come out until a few weeks before the start date. I have the reservation though, so it's solid. Still, it'd be cool to get both sets pulled together before heading out for four months.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:02 am

How accurate does the dates on medical history survey have to be with regards to medications and doctors seen? Reason I am asking is that I had a medical condition as a child, but haven't been treated for it in almost 20 years. I cannot even remember when I saw every doctor or took one medication or another. The medical documents I have collected are not as informative as I had hoped.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How accurate does the dates on medical history survey have to be with regards to medications and doctors seen? Reason I am asking is that I had a medical condition as a child, but haven't been treated for it in almost 20 years. I cannot even remember when I saw every doctor or took one medication or another. The medical documents I have collected are not as informative as I had hoped.
You can always write "Various Dates, 199X-201X"

BLucare

New

Post by BLucare » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:26 pm

lharle wrote:Hey everyone, I'm a 3L AF DAP Select from the October Board. I have had a difficult time communicating with the folks at JAX regarding MEPS.

I am in the same boat (3L October AF DAP select, filled out all the paperwork in November and submitted it in November). I did not hear anything about redoing any paperwork, though... In any event, I did speak to JAX in January and was told not to worry if it seems like the accessions process is moving slowly. I was told the AF tries to get the 3L October/December selects into MEPS before graduation in May. I took that as "We might, or we might not." I also asked if I should periodically follow up throughout this final semester of law school, and was told that would not be necessary. In other words, it probably won't help to continue bugging JAX. I'm just going to sit tight until the end of the school year, as I'm not in much of a hurry, frankly. I'll post in this thread if I receive any updates.

CaseClosed

New

Post by CaseClosed » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:01 am

For those going to DCC/JAOBC in May have you bought your uniforms?

Fivedham

Bronze

Post by Fivedham » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:29 am

CaseClosed wrote:For those going to DCC/JAOBC in May have you bought your uniforms?
I'm coming from another Army branch, but I need to get the new ACUs, PTs, and a new Class A jacket. I figure it'll be easier to just do it beforehand and get everything sewn on ahead of time. I'll wait to get to Benning to get new Class As though. Pretty sure we get a ~ $700 uniform allowance with our first paycheck, at least that's what happened when I went to BOLC for my original branch years ago.

I think the DCC cadre more or less gives us an afternoon to go buy everything in the first week, but if you live near a uniform store I don't see the downside of just taking care of it now.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:20 pm

I was in a previous JAOBC class. You (and the entire class) will get a couple of hours to buy uniforms during the first week. Very busy and crowded but not as chaotic as I thought it would be. With that said, if you can, get to Benning a day early and buy your uniforms then. That way, you won't feel rushed, will have more time to try on different stuff, and there's less of a chance of something running out. Also, apply for a Military Star Card before you leave for Benning. 10% off your first day's purchase at the PX.

Second, it's probably better for you to get the ASU's from Commando's off post. More expensive but better quality (Marlow White), they'll size you and tailor the uniform for you.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I was in a previous JAOBC class. You (and the entire class) will get a couple of hours to buy uniforms during the first week. Very busy and crowded but not as chaotic as I thought it would be. With that said, if you can, get to Benning a day early and buy your uniforms then. That way, you won't feel rushed, will have more time to try on different stuff, and there's less of a chance of something running out. Also, apply for a Military Star Card before you leave for Benning. 10% off your first day's purchase at the PX.

Second, it's probably better for you to get the ASU's from Commando's off post. More expensive but better quality (Marlow White), they'll size you and tailor the uniform for you.
Do you not have time on weekends to go to the uniforms store?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:34 pm

The schedule is never the same but unless you have CQ shift, generally you'll be off weekday evenings, half day Saturday, and all day Sunday.

CaseClosed

New

Post by CaseClosed » Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I was in a previous JAOBC class. You (and the entire class) will get a couple of hours to buy uniforms during the first week. Very busy and crowded but not as chaotic as I thought it would be. With that said, if you can, get to Benning a day early and buy your uniforms then. That way, you won't feel rushed, will have more time to try on different stuff, and there's less of a chance of something running out. Also, apply for a Military Star Card before you leave for Benning. 10% off your first day's purchase at the PX.

I don't even have a packing or uniform list yet. I'm not sure if its on the website because its still down.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”