Military Law Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
brownshoe

New

Re: Military Law

Post by brownshoe » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:13 pm

Patrick Bateman wrote:
adil91 wrote:How long do you have to be in the service for them to pay for your LLM?
For the Air Force: Majors and Major Selects, so about 6-7 years in. It is a competitive selection and you have to get it in something "useful" for the Air Force - environmental, labor, acquisitions/procurement, space law, national security, etc.
Time frame is about the same for the navy - primary LLMs are international, environmental, and oplaw/natl security. I'd say the biggest difference is that in the Navy, the goal is for 100% of "career" JAs to get an LLM. Now that doesn't mean 100% are actually getting them, but if you want it and it fits in your career path, it shouldn't be a problem.

SocalPizza

New

Post by SocalPizza » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:09 pm

msmossie wrote:Finally "pending board decision." Now I can relax for a bit.
Same, except I had 2 rounds of them not being able to open my transcripts first. Does anyone know if the group handling completeness review is the same group making board selections? I would imagine they make sure everyone's complete before handing everything over to the actual board, but maybe not. If not, I probably look stupid for having to re-upload the same transcripts twice (I blame my school for their weird formatting of electronic transcripts. The 3rd time I just got hard copies and manually scanned them in. Wah wahhhh.)

msmossie

New

Post by msmossie » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:06 am

SocalPizza wrote:
msmossie wrote:Finally "pending board decision." Now I can relax for a bit.
Same, except I had 2 rounds of them not being able to open my transcripts first. Does anyone know if the group handling completeness review is the same group making board selections? I would imagine they make sure everyone's complete before handing everything over to the actual board, but maybe not. If not, I probably look stupid for having to re-upload the same transcripts twice (I blame my school for their weird formatting of electronic transcripts. The 3rd time I just got hard copies and manually scanned them in. Wah wahhhh.)
From what I understand, there is an office that is just in charge of recruiting who make sure our apps are complete. I doubt that they are the ones on the board. So I think you are fine. :)

mrh769

New

Post by mrh769 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:19 pm

Did anyone find out when the Navy DA Board will meet?

SocalPizza

New

Post by SocalPizza » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:34 pm

mrh769 wrote:Did anyone find out when the Navy DA Board will meet?
I really wish wannabeDG from AirForceOTS was here to answer this question. I'm 100% positive he has insider info.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mrh769

New

Post by mrh769 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:54 pm

SocalPizza wrote:
I really wish wannabeDG from AirForceOTS was here to answer this question. I'm 100% positive he has insider info.
Well...that would be awesome!

Rocktober2007

Bronze

Post by Rocktober2007 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:06 pm

Nope. The fall board took a little over 5 weeks to release results though.

mrh769

New

Post by mrh769 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:50 pm

jess8328 wrote:
wow, that's quick! hope it will be quick again. maybe some great person will let us know for sure. insider information is always nice! :D

Rocktober2007

Bronze

Post by Rocktober2007 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:08 pm

mrh769 wrote:
jess8328 wrote:
wow, that's quick! hope it will be quick again. maybe some great person will let us know for sure. insider information is always nice! :D
Yeah, it seemed like they were rushing to get them done before the holidays. Results were posted the Monday before Thanksgiving. I hope they don't take longer this time because they're not all planning to get out of town as soon as possible. :D

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mrh769

New

Post by mrh769 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:18 pm

jess8328 wrote:
mrh769 wrote:
jess8328 wrote:
Yeah, it seemed like they were rushing to get them done before the holidays. Results were posted the Monday before Thanksgiving. I hope they don't take longer this time because they're not all planning to get out of town as soon as possible. :D
Well, maybe they'll rush to get them done before Easter. Here's hoping!

adil91

Silver

Post by adil91 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:01 pm

One more question guys?

Would the Marines mind if I spent one more year and did a JD/MPA?

LSAChamp

New

Post by LSAChamp » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:56 pm

I'm a long-time reader of the ML thread and I really appreciate all the great insight and advice from those kind enough to make this thread one of the most useful ones on TLS.

I just wanted to pass a long some information I received from an AF JAG (non-recruiter) that Mr. Bateman may be able to corroborate: AF JAG selection rate is now at two percent. I think at the last AF selection rate (Nov. 2010), it was around 4-5%. Obviously, I was very surprised when I was told it was now half that.

Rocktober2007

Bronze

Post by Rocktober2007 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:36 pm

LSAChamp wrote:I'm a long-time reader of the ML thread and I really appreciate all the great insight and advice from those kind enough to make this thread one of the most useful ones on TLS.

I just wanted to pass a long some information I received from an AF JAG (non-recruiter) that Mr. Bateman may be able to corroborate: AF JAG selection rate is now at two percent. I think at the last AF selection rate (Nov. 2010), it was around 4-5%. Obviously, I was very surprised when I was told it was now half that.
Wow. I believe it. I guess we should thank the AF then for cancelling the recent boards and keeping us from wasting our time. :cry:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

SocalPizza

New

Post by SocalPizza » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:54 pm

LSAChamp wrote:I'm a long-time reader of the ML thread and I really appreciate all the great insight and advice from those kind enough to make this thread one of the most useful ones on TLS.

You're going to need some sort of frame of reference to confirm or deny 2%. The December DAP board was 4%. The February DAP board was 0%. If the February board had the same number of applicants it would be accurate to say that, over the past 2 boards, accessions are at 2%. However, it would be inaccurate to say that current accessions are at 2%. They're at 0% (the most current board), and will remain there until the October board, when more may be selected.

shepdawg

Bronze

Post by shepdawg » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:08 pm

For those of you waiting around to hear about the 1L internships, what are your backup plans? Have you already been offered other jobs? If so, did you take the job?

vnice

New

Post by vnice » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:11 pm

Does anyone have a copy of the Fall FY 11 Active Duty Army JAG Selectee list? I don't know what happened to the one that I downloaded and I need it for reference.

WhatAboutBob

New

Post by WhatAboutBob » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:59 pm

vnice wrote:Does anyone have a copy of the Fall FY 11 Active Duty Army JAG Selectee list? I don't know what happened to the one that I downloaded and I need it for reference.
You should be able to get it here as a pdf:

--LinkRemoved--

Hope that works.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

vnice

New

Post by vnice » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:06 pm

Perfect! Thanks.

Rocktober2007

Bronze

Post by Rocktober2007 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:36 pm

Anyone applying to the Army Reserve board? I submitted my application last week. My preference is for Active Duty, but I would be extremely happy if I managed to get a civilian district attorney job and was an Army JAG reservist.

upnorthguy

New

Post by upnorthguy » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:40 pm

jess8328 wrote:Anyone applying to the Army Reserve board? I submitted my application last week.
I'm with you. My application was submitted a month ago and I had my interview two weeks ago. Now for the waiting game until late June/early July!

Rocktober2007

Bronze

Post by Rocktober2007 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:04 pm

upnorthguy wrote:
jess8328 wrote:Anyone applying to the Army Reserve board? I submitted my application last week.
I'm with you. My application was submitted a month ago and I had my interview two weeks ago. Now for the waiting game until late June/early July!
Yeah, what's up with the long waits on Reserve boards this year? Seems like there were more boards and they released results much more quickly last year. I hope it doesn't take until July!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

RocksnSurf

New

Post by RocksnSurf » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:53 pm

I was accepted for the Army 2L Summer Internship - Stoked! Has anyone else on this board done the internship (or been accepted for this summer)?

Does anyone know how long it takes the JARO office to send out the final assignment list for the summer interns? I returned the required forms, etc - but haven't really gotten any communication from JARO since early February. Is this normal? Has anyone else gotten their assignments and been told to call in for conferences?

unc0mm0n1

Gold

Post by unc0mm0n1 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:58 pm

RocksnSurf wrote:I was accepted for the Army 2L Summer Internship - Stoked! Has anyone else on this board done the internship (or been accepted for this summer)?

Does anyone know how long it takes the JARO office to send out the final assignment list for the summer interns? I returned the required forms, etc - but haven't really gotten any communication from JARO since early February. Is this normal? Has anyone else gotten their assignments and been told to call in for conferences?
I never did but I worked for the Army JAG office in Wiesbaden, Germany and we had a couple of interns. I have no idea what they were there for (well other than to travel around europe). They really did nothing all day, they'd sit in on meetings and stuff but they spent more time on the computer or the phone more than anything and they were always out at 5. If you're internship is anything like there it'll be cake.

RocksnSurf

New

Post by RocksnSurf » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:13 pm

unc0mm0n1 wrote:
RocksnSurf wrote:I was accepted for the Army 2L Summer Internship - Stoked! Has anyone else on this board done the internship (or been accepted for this summer)?

I never did but I worked for the Army JAG office in Wiesbaden, Germany and we had a couple of interns. I have no idea what they were there for (well other than to travel around europe). They really did nothing all day, they'd sit in on meetings and stuff but they spent more time on the computer or the phone more than anything and they were always out at 5. If you're internship is anything like there it'll be cake.
Were the interns just lazy or was this because there wasn't anything for them to do? I think it would be awesome to be placed at a base in Europe but wouldn't want to just sit around on the phone and facebook all summer. Were the interns well liked around the office? I'm interested in Army JAG as a career, not just as a paid summer / vacation.

duckmoney

Silver

Post by duckmoney » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:20 am

I have a question for you guys. I've browsed through quite a bit of this thread but didn't really find an answer for it.
FYI, I'm a 0L considering joining JAG, either USAF or Navy.

My question is - for those who choose to do so, what fraction of JAGs are able to make a career out of the military (e.g. get to 20 years and hit retirement)? What about beyond that, doing 30 years and getting the maximum retirement?

I like the idea of the JAG corps, but I feel like a 4 year stint probably wouldn't be worth the opportunity cost when your alternative goal is biglaw. Making a career out of it though, given the hours, vacation time, and excellent retirement, sounds very appealing. I'm just curious as to what to realistically expect in terms of job security if I want to stay in it for the long run.

Thanks!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”