Military Law Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
eas123

New

Re: Military Law

Post by eas123 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:47 pm

And here I had hoped this AF DAP Board would actually give results a little early...! I got a follow-up email in early December asking if I had passed the bar (thanks, CA, for making us wait forever for results :-P), and I had been surprised they were looking at apps at all at that point. Buuut...here we are! Crossing fingers as usual...

DannyBoy31

New

Post by DannyBoy31 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:03 pm

There's still a slight chance we'll get results today! A few more hours left. This is the latest board I've seen in awhile, especially for a December board. Not sure what to make of that though.

12law

New

Post by 12law » Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:51 pm

Nervously waiting this one out.

maxpayne

Bronze

Post by maxpayne » Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:55 pm

This is my 6th AF DAP Board - so I am used to the wait :)

edja0603

New

Post by edja0603 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:17 pm

I just got the call today that I have been selected from the December board by the Air Force. I am unbelievably excited. Like many of you all, I have been anxiously waiting for any news. I hope others got the good news as well.

I know it's probably been said in the 241 pages of posts, but does anyone know what happens now? I graduate in April and have a July bar exam, but I haven't been able to find any information on what the process looks like from here on out.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SillySnarf

New

Post by SillySnarf » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:19 am

Congratulations edja0603!! Did they give you any information regarding your base assignment yet? Or I've heard that is something they may wait on for current students... Should he/she expect the MEPS paperwork to come in soon, or is that something they also hold off on bar passage for? Sorry, most of my research has been on what will happen for currently practicing attorneys since that is my boat. I applied as a student a couple of years ago and didn't get it, so again, my hats off to you for a fantastic achievement.

On that note, back to my nervous fretting...I thought they were going to email everyone rather than call. I'm doing jury selection tomorrow so I am going to have to resist the urge to check my phone every 5 seconds. I'm assuming they only call you if you are selected anyways.

shintopig

Bronze

Post by shintopig » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:47 am

edja0603 wrote:I just got the call today that I have been selected from the December board by the Air Force. I am unbelievably excited. Like many of you all, I have been anxiously waiting for any news. I hope others got the good news as well.

I know it's probably been said in the 241 pages of posts, but does anyone know what happens now? I graduate in April and have a July bar exam, but I haven't been able to find any information on what the process looks like from here on out.
Congratulations!!!

You've got to get your security clearance, medical processing, paperwork, paperwork, and more paperwork.

Then after you graduate Commissioned Officer Training (COT) followed by JAG Staff Officer Training (JASOC) after you pass the Bar.

Check the website - http://www.airforce.com/jag/careers/JAG_training
Last edited by shintopig on Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

howell

Silver

Post by howell » Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:35 am

edja0603 wrote:I just got the call today that I have been selected from the December board by the Air Force. I am unbelievably excited. Like many of you all, I have been anxiously waiting for any news. I hope others got the good news as well.

Congrats! I know we've covered the process here, but it might be easier to find on the threads at airforceots.com.

You will soon get a package from JAX. You'll fill out the medical forms and talk to JAX about them, then they'll schedule you for MEPS. They'll also run through your security clearance. You then wait for the bar . . . and then your bar results. Once you get your results (assuming you passed), they should give you your assignment, start date, and COT/JASOC class dates. Once that's all done, you'll have the privilege to work biglaw hours for fedgov money too.

mhylden

New

Post by mhylden » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:43 am

Congratulations! Would you mind giving the rest of us a little run down of your stats so we know what we are up against? Congrats again.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

maxpayne

Bronze

Post by maxpayne » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:50 am

Congrats edja0603!

As for the rest of us, everyone please post if you get an acceptance call or a rejection email so we can keep track. Also, edja0603 - it seemed like you received the Call late last night? Are you on the west coast?

DannyBoy31

New

Post by DannyBoy31 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:43 am

Received a call around 8:45 am EST from the SJA that interviewed me notifying me that I was selected. No email or anything official yet though. Best of luck to all those still waiting! I'm sure there are more people on this site that just haven't been contacted yet for whatever reason.

maxpayne

Bronze

Post by maxpayne » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:47 am

DannyBoy31 wrote:Received a call around 8:45 am EST from the SJA that interviewed me notifying me that I was selected. No email or anything official yet though. Best of luck to all those still waiting! I'm sure there are more people on this site that just haven't been contacted yet for whatever reason.
I thought you got picked up on the April 2014 AF DAP Board?

maxpayne

Bronze

Post by maxpayne » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:49 am

maxpayne wrote:
DannyBoy31 wrote:Received a call around 8:45 am EST from the SJA that interviewed me notifying me that I was selected. No email or anything official yet though. Best of luck to all those still waiting! I'm sure there are more people on this site that just haven't been contacted yet for whatever reason.
I thought you got picked up on the April 2014 AF DAP Board?
Nvm - I saw your post on page 235...... CONGRATS again DannyBoy!!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

edja0603

New

Post by edja0603 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:29 pm

Thanks everyone, I'm really really excited.

I got the call a little before 6 pm. I'm on the East Coast, so I guess it was the SJA just getting a head start on today's work?

Thank you also for the follow up info. I work full-time now, so I am trying to figure out a time line of when I need to inform my current job I'll be leaving.
Last edited by edja0603 on Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

maxpayne

Bronze

Post by maxpayne » Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:29 pm

Broke down and called my interviewing SJA. DAP Board #7........here I come. I think I may actually set the record for most AF DAP Boards applied to.

Good luck to everyone else out there. Keep fighting the good fight!

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Update: AF JAG Facebook Page -

"December Direct Appointment (DAP) Board decisions have been made! Selection letters will be emailed today. Congratulations to all our selects! If you were not selected but still want to be a JAG please reapply now!"

BigJH18

New

Post by BigJH18 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:45 pm

Posted 45 minutes ago on AF JAG facebook page:

"December Direct Appointment (DAP) Board decisions have been made! Selection letters will be emailed today. Congratulations to all our selects! If you were not selected but still want to be a JAG please reapply now!"

mhylden

New

Post by mhylden » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:02 pm

Has anyone gotten the rejection email?

I havn't been called or emailed....yet.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BigJH18

New

Post by BigJH18 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:03 pm

I am still waiting for an email or phone call as of 5:03pm east coast, haven't heard anything else. Anyone get a denial email yet?

maxpayne

Bronze

Post by maxpayne » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:14 pm

I haven't received the rejection email yet.

bouakedojo

Bronze

Post by bouakedojo » Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:47 pm

howell wrote:Once that's all done, you'll have the privilege to work biglaw hours for fedgov money too.
This, though! :)

There may or may not be misconceptions among applicants, but I wanted to highlight what you said and also add another point, too.

First, AF JAGs don't typically leave at 4:30 when most other airmen on base do. I was talking with a law school friend who's working BigLaw and he actually told me I worked more than he did. But at the same time, I love the work I'm doing. Last night, I got home at 9:00 pm. But at 7:00 pm, OSI (AF investigators) brought in a suspect who may or may not have committed sexual assault. I was there watching the interview and advising them before, during, and after on what we need to prove the crime, criminal procedure, etc. It was awesome. And my law school friend was probably doing some damn doc review or something. Now, granted not every day is like that, but I generally like the work I do. But if you're coming in thinking this is a cushy, gov't, 9-5 job, you're going to be miserable. And I say that only because I heard an Active Duty AF JAG say that was what he was expecting coming in...and he was miserable (and wasn't doing well, either).

Second, AF JAGs don't have as much job security as you would think. Why do I say this? When I first arrived at my base, I met an ADC who was pretty darn good at her job. I was impressed and I don't impress easily. A couple of months later, I found out that she was kicked out with force shaping. Apparently, a majority of her class was given the boot. It was a bloodbath for her group. Now, according to reports, there will be no force shaping this year in the Air Force. But just something to think about in this age of austerity.

Also, congrats to those who got in for the recent boards. I was in on several calls out last night to notify applicants. The emails came late in the day, so I think that's why some got notified today.

BigJH18

New

Post by BigJH18 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:48 pm

Just received the rejection email now. Oh well...On to board #4

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

SillySnarf

New

Post by SillySnarf » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:11 pm

Has anyone else heard one way or the other? I'm pretty resigned to rejection at this stage...

jagnut

New

Post by jagnut » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:37 pm

Had my interview with an AF SJA for the 1L GLP today. It went well and I was informed he would recommend me, however, he said that typically only 1-3 1L's get selected per year. I had never heard that before- crazy.

SillySnarf

New

Post by SillySnarf » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:21 pm

I called in this morning to the 1-800-JAG-USAF number and learned that I was not selected. The person I spoke with thought that my name might not have ended up on the mail merge, so that could be why others aren't receiving rejection emails yet as well.

Hopefully I can get some feedback from my interviewer regarding where the Selection Board felt my shortcomings are. Has anyone had success getting that kind of feedback?

Good luck to everyone else!

Rambo152

New

Post by Rambo152 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:25 pm

My rejection letter was sent to my G-mail spam folder last night. Didn't notice it until after I called today. That puts me 0 for 4 with the Air Force. My first Navy interview is next week.
Anyone have thoughts on whether I might have a better shot if I pursue a commission before reapplying? I am currently enlisted (E-6) in the AF Reserve and I feel as if there's a bit of a bias against me having not commissioned yet. Every interviewer has asked me why I haven't even applied.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”