Military Law Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
bobkat12

New

Re: Military Law

Post by bobkat12 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:20 am

P.S. Given the above exchange, I'm curious as to what makes funded legal so competitive/difficult to achieve? Is it simply in virtue of the fact that they only offer a couple of spots a year a supplement to the majority of Judge Advocates they get from law school/DA, or are the people applying simply outstanding candidates? I'm also curious as to how the selectors assess your potential as a lawyer since you aren't in law school yet and don't have law school gpa or activities like law review and moot court. Is it pure LSAT?

Thanks everyone, and again, thank you for the responses to my original post, I feel a step or two closer to my decision already.

Rotor

Silver

Post by Rotor » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:57 am

bobkat12 wrote:P.S. Given the above exchange, I'm curious as to what makes funded legal so competitive/difficult to achieve? Is it simply in virtue of the fact that they only offer a couple of spots a year a supplement to the majority of Judge Advocates they get from law school/DA, or are the people applying simply outstanding candidates? I'm also curious as to how the selectors assess your potential as a lawyer since you aren't in law school yet and don't have law school gpa or activities like law review and moot court. Is it pure LSAT?

Thanks everyone, and again, thank you for the responses to my original post, I feel a step or two closer to my decision already.
I think the difficulty is simply the small numbers of officers selected. I have no idea how many applied to be part of the three selected, so I don't know if your odds are better than the other routes to JAG. It's more the concern that some folks might go that route and do something they don't really like for 2-6 years just on the slim chance they could go JAG. It's too hard a
life to do it well if you don't like it.

For the selection criteria for Navy, see here: http://www.jag.navy.mil/documents/Careers/1520_7f.pdf (PDF page 8 ). No weight is given to the various criteria, but my guess is that "Quality of academic and military records" is the dominant, but not quite determinative one.

Edit: note, even though the instruction authorizes 25 selectees, even before the current fiscal constraints, typical select classes were fewer than 10 (if I recall correctly).

bjack347

New

Post by bjack347 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:47 am

shock259 wrote:
bjack347 wrote:
Alexandros1886 wrote:@Patrick sorry if I'm being a bother but would mind giving me a couple tips how better to dig through the forum. I looked through about the first and last 15 pages of the post but couldn't find anything on the topic. I also did a forum search for "JAG" (minus the parentheses) but it came back with "No Suitable Matches Were Found." I just searched again though and got the same result even though I know at least my post exists.
Start on page 106 of this forum and go for a few pages; you'll get the type of posts you were looking for.

From a personal perspective, I'm an Ohio native like you and decided on Toledo because it was so cheap. I got picked up for AD JAG this past November despite only being middle of the class at Toledo and no law review, moot court etc. I was prior military though and I believe my app demonstrated strong leadership qualities and a knack for legal writing/advocacy. Recommendations, the JAG FSO interview, and anything tending to show a capacity for quality leadership will always be more important than the school you attend. In my humble opinion, pick the school that's both affordable and located in a city you can see yourself at for three years.
Can you elaborate more on how you specifically demonstrated your strong leadership qualities (aside from prior military)?
@shock other than prior military I believe I was able to show/bolster my leadership intangibles with my work experience and collegiate extracurriculars. While I never worked a legal job during law school, I worked a 20 or so hours a week at a local pizza chain so I could eat. I was able to show leadership here as I was asked to take on a management position after only three weeks on the job. In regards to extracurricular activities, I had on my app that I am an eagle scout, I was captain of the NCAA lacrosse team I played for in undergrad, and I was a member of a scholarship program designed to mold a person who had previously been involved in a lot of volunteer work into the person who created, organized, and managed volunteer/charity programs. In short, my app showed that whenever I did something, I was eventually a leader in that something.

hope that helps

Patrick Bateman

Silver

Post by Patrick Bateman » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:54 pm

bobkat12 wrote:P.S. Given the above exchange, I'm curious as to what makes funded legal so competitive/difficult to achieve? Is it simply in virtue of the fact that they only offer a couple of spots a year a supplement to the majority of Judge Advocates they get from law school/DA, or are the people applying simply outstanding candidates? I'm also curious as to how the selectors assess your potential as a lawyer since you aren't in law school yet and don't have law school gpa or activities like law review and moot court. Is it pure LSAT?

The primary issue is that it is ridiculously expensive for the Air Force (or other service) to pay for all 1st Lt X's law school in addition to his salary as an O-2 w/ 2-3 years of service, plus allowances. It is not like we are hurting for numbers in the way the medical community might, so there is no real justification for throwing that sort of money around beyond the fact that the entire Corps benefits from officers with previous experience in a different career field, something we'll get anyway from ELP applicants. The Defense Dept's budget has been slashed and everyone is expected to do more with less - if I was wearing stars on my shoulders, FLEP is one of the first places I would look to cut costs.

The applicants are also usually high speed - low drag types, so even if there was a big pot of money, the competition would be ruthless.

DaveCA

New

Post by DaveCA » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:13 pm

Patrick Bateman wrote:The primary issue is that it is ridiculously expensive for the Air Force (or other service) to pay for all 1st Lt X's law school in addition to his salary as an O-2 w/ 2-3 years of service, plus allowances. It is not like we are hurting for numbers in the way the medical community might, so there is no real justification for throwing that sort of money around beyond the fact that the entire Corps benefits from officers with previous experience in a different career field, something we'll get anyway from ELP applicants. The Defense Dept's budget has been slashed and everyone is expected to do more with less - if I was wearing stars on my shoulders, FLEP is one of the first places I would look to cut costs.

The applicants are also usually high speed - low drag types, so even if there was a big pot of money, the competition would be ruthless.
Bottom line is, none of the branches are hurting for reasonably qualified applicants that have already completed and/or paid for (by way of massive loans) their legal education, so there's really limited incentive to go out of their way to pay for educating their applicants with their own money.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Paichka

Bronze

Post by Paichka » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:06 pm

DaveCA wrote:
Patrick Bateman wrote:The primary issue is that it is ridiculously expensive for the Air Force (or other service) to pay for all 1st Lt X's law school in addition to his salary as an O-2 w/ 2-3 years of service, plus allowances. It is not like we are hurting for numbers in the way the medical community might, so there is no real justification for throwing that sort of money around beyond the fact that the entire Corps benefits from officers with previous experience in a different career field, something we'll get anyway from ELP applicants. The Defense Dept's budget has been slashed and everyone is expected to do more with less - if I was wearing stars on my shoulders, FLEP is one of the first places I would look to cut costs.

Bottom line is, none of the branches are hurting for reasonably qualified applicants that have already completed and/or paid for (by way of massive loans) their legal education, so there's really limited incentive to go out of their way to pay for educating their applicants with their own money.
From what I understand, they keep the program around so that there are some JAGs with military experience as OFFICERS -- as we're going to be advising commanders, it's probably good to have a few people who know what it's like to BE a commander. Or something. Who knows. I don't know how useful we are in actual practice, but I'm certainly glad that I snuck in when somebody was asleep at the switch. :)

Army FLEP has hit the 25-person cap three years running, at least according to the stud book...they may start selecting fewer applicants now that it looks like we're entering something of a draw down.

us.army.jag.hopeful

New

Post by us.army.jag.hopeful » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:07 am

Army Active Duty Q:

How many people typically don't pass medical? Are waivers really that hard to get nowadays? If almost every AD primary selectee accepted commission, any thoughts on the odds of getting off the alternate list this year? I'm on the Army AD Alternate list. Thanks

Esquire

Bronze

Post by Esquire » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:09 am

us.army.jag.hopeful wrote:Army Active Duty Q:

How many people typically don't pass medical? Are waivers really that hard to get nowadays? If almost every AD primary selectee accepted commission, any thoughts on the odds of getting off the alternate list this year? I'm on the Army AD Alternate list. Thanks
What kind of waiver are you getting? Always depends on your condition.

Couldn't tell you about the alternate list. In my year, no one was plucked from the alternate list. Maybe things have changed. Essentially, I wouldn't count on it but don't give up hope.

Doc Review Lifer

New

Post by Doc Review Lifer » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:28 pm

Thread seems a bit dead as of late. AF hopefuls, has anyone heard anything?!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

howell

Silver

Post by howell » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:33 pm

Doc Review Lifer wrote:Thread seems a bit dead as of late. AF hopefuls, has anyone heard anything?!
Not a peep. Nothing's been reported on the OTS board either. :cry:

I'm a 3L, so I'm in the situation of needing to know so I can try to track down another job if I get denied again. I'll need something to support my JAG application habit once school is over.

Doc Review Lifer

New

Post by Doc Review Lifer » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:43 pm

Just another April day, then!

Patrick Bateman

Silver

Post by Patrick Bateman » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:49 pm

Doc Review Lifer wrote:Thread seems a bit dead as of late. AF hopefuls, has anyone heard anything?!
Confirming that it is just another April day - selection results have not yet posted.

And in that you didn't even have to use your A.K., I might venture to say that today is a good April day.

DaveCA

New

Post by DaveCA » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:06 pm

Patrick Bateman wrote:
Confirming that it is just another April day - selection results have not yet posted.

And in that you didn't even have to use your A.K., I might venture to say that today is a good April day.
That merited a laugh, which is a feat, on this, my last day of 3L finals.
I've been told that best case scenario, if everything goes according to plan, the accepted few will find out sometime this coming Monday. That's probably a big if.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

howell

Silver

Post by howell » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:55 pm

From the JAG recruiting FB page:
Will Turner
I applied to the April Selection Board. Do you know when the results from this Board are expected to be released? Thanks.
19 hours ago

U.S. Air Force JAG Recruiting
Hello Will, You can expect the results in late May.
Hopefully that's just a safe answer.

Doc Review Lifer

New

Post by Doc Review Lifer » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:05 pm

howell wrote:From the JAG recruiting FB page:
Will Turner
I applied to the April Selection Board. Do you know when the results from this Board are expected to be released? Thanks.
19 hours ago

U.S. Air Force JAG Recruiting
Hello Will, You can expect the results in late May.
Hopefully that's just a safe answer.

Good day ruined.

JAG_Hopeful

New

Post by JAG_Hopeful » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:38 am

Anyone else waiting for word from the Navy spring board? (SP)

DaveCA

New

Post by DaveCA » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:30 pm

JAG_Hopeful wrote:Anyone else waiting for word from the Navy spring board? (SP)
Navy, Air Force, hell if the Salvation Army got themselves a JAG branch I might have applied there too.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JAG_Hopeful

New

Post by JAG_Hopeful » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:23 pm

DaveCA wrote:
Navy, Air Force, hell if the Salvation Army got themselves a JAG branch I might have applied there too.

And nary a peep from anybody? I don't really expect to hear anything before May 7 at the soonest, and I'm making every effort not to check my status...looks like it was just under 9 weeks for the fall boards.

napolnic

Bronze

Post by napolnic » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:42 pm

JAG_Hopeful wrote:
DaveCA wrote:

And nary a peep from anybody? I don't really expect to hear anything before May 7 at the soonest, and I'm making every effort not to check my status...looks like it was just under 9 weeks for the fall boards.
If I recall correctly, the Navy JAG Spring board came out April 20th last year.

joshlyman

New

Post by joshlyman » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:09 pm

im anxiously awaiting the Navy spring board results. should be hearing by may 15th.

FlanAl

Silver

Post by FlanAl » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:54 pm

Where's the best place to go to get sort of tailored advice for those who are very interested in jag? I have medical and background questions and would sort of like to find out soon whether or not this is even an option for me. I'll be spending my summer after 1L in very close proximity to a big Navy base, any chance they have someone on base who can help with jag questions? The normal recruiters don't seem to have the inside intel.

Thanks!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

napolnic

Bronze

Post by napolnic » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:50 am

joshlyman wrote:im anxiously awaiting the Navy spring board results. should be hearing by may 15th.
I really don't think you'll have to wait that long, unless last year was a huge aberration.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... start=2175 (about half-way down the page)

steubenville

New

Post by steubenville » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:02 pm

They took over 8 weeks for the fall board, so it may not be until May 15th that we hear back.

DaveCA

New

Post by DaveCA » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:17 pm

steubenville wrote:They took over 8 weeks for the fall board, so it may not be until May 15th that we hear back.
But they took around 4 last spring, so who knows.

JAG_Hopeful

New

Post by JAG_Hopeful » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:19 pm

Yikes!
DaveCA wrote:
steubenville wrote:They took over 8 weeks for the fall board, so it may not be until May 15th that we hear back.
But they took around 4 last spring, so who knows.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”