Military Law

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
aka123

Re: Military Law

Postby aka123 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Regarding the application for Army JAG that is currently open:

What is the timeline? Is this application cycle for people who will go to training in January 2018? Or is it mostly for kids still in school to start in 2019? I'm so confused as to when people should be applying and what time frame they are applying for. Is there any upside to waiting for bar results to apply? Or are you at a huge disadvantage if you don't apply before graduating law school?

Should I reach out to a FSO with these questions or should I not bother them until I want an interview?

I applied last November and was notified of my acceptance around Christmas. With Army JAG, you don't do anything other than some paperwork and tests till you get admitted to practice. My state is one of the slowest to process bar results and to admit so I don't anticipate starting training till May or October 2018. DCC classes have been in the past few years offered three times a year: March, May, and October. If you choose to wait till after bar results, you'll just wait longer and it will likely come up during your interview as to why you waited. I don't think it's a huge disadvantage but if you're going to wait anyway, might as well know you got in and have something for you when you pass the bar. There's also no guarantee you'll get in on the first board. Some really qualified posters on this board have been denied multiple times. If you had read through the posts, you'll see people who have been accepted still waiting to start training. The commissioning process takes a lot of patience and strength to get through. It sucks not have a concrete answer when people ask when I'll be starting but this is what I want to spend the rest of my life so it's certainly worth waiting for.

Rocky123

Postby Rocky123 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:54 pm

Hello Future JAG Applicants:

I wanted to post about my experience as a 1L in the AFJAG Summer Externship program this past summer (2017). This forum has been tremendously helpful in my decision to pursue JAG, but I did not see many posts about firsthand experiences in externship/internships so I thought I could add something.

A little about me: I have no experience with military, which was my primary reason for pursuing the internship. I go to a T3, but I'm in the top 10% of my class. I found the job posting on the AFJAG Recruiting Facebook page (a good resource for anyone looking for info on the application process), and I applied around December/January, accepted in February. I applied for both the unpaid externship as well as the paid internship which came out later. I was accepted for both positions, but because I accidentally disqualified myself on my USA Jobs online application for the paid internship, I was forced to take the unpaid position. This did not affect anything except that I was no longer able to get paid, and the JAG recruiter was very apologetic about it because I was not at fault. So the experience didn't start of on a great foot, needless to say, but I'm still very glad I did it regardless.

First, let me start off by saying my experience was incredibly rewarding and positive. If you are at all considering JAG as a career path, you should definitely at least apply for the summer programs. As a 1L, the AF might be your best opportunity for this, but I know both Army and AF have summer programs in 2L year. Especially if you have limited military experience, it's imperative for you to understand whether the lifestyle is right for you.

The Work: I assisted mainly in the General Law section at the base I was on, primarily because I had an interest in this area and because they were shorthanded. And because there were a lot attorneys coming and going during the time I was there, I was able to do a lot of hands-on work. For example, I drafted: wills; articles for AF-wide publication; legal reviews of investigations, etc. I was extremely pleased with both the quantity and kind of work I was provided, and I never felt like I was a burden on the office.

The People: Because I had no prior military experience, I had no idea what to expect. I had great conversation and working relationships with everyone I worked with. Between the attorneys and paralegals, everyone was willing to offer help and answer any questions I had, but more importantly to me, I found everyone was willing to share their experiences both with JAG and with the AF in general, which was my primary reason for pursuing the internship in the first place. I found it very easy to relate to everyone in the office, and it very much had the team-like atmosphere that I was hoping it would have.

Thoughts on JAG: Interestingly, I had good relationships with two of the attorneys in particular, and both advised me against applying for AFJAG. One was very unhappy with his experience compared to other government experiences he had had in law school, and the other advised me to look into Army. One interesting thing about the AF is that there are a lot less attorneys, which means, especially in General Law, that no one really specializes. So some attorney in Gen Law will have to handle anything that walks through the door, and each new problem you face will often be your first time dealing with it. I can see this being both a benefit and a negative, and I'm sure it really depends on the person. And it could differ greatly between bases. This is opposed to Army (from my understanding), where you might be in Legal Assistance for a year (drafting/executing Wills, POAs) and you'll get to build on that knowledge during that time until you're an expert. Then you'll move into another area.

Another thing about my experience was that I realized the downfalls of a huge bureaucracy. There were a ton of inefficiencies that just couldn't really be helped. For instance, it took a whole week just for them to get me a pass to get on base. The Wifi was in and out every single day, and there would be hours that no one could get any work done because of this. I would have problems logging into the computer every other day. These are those little things that add up that really make it "service" to your country. Beyond those things, as a JAG, your support staff will be paralegals who are sometimes only a year or two out of high school. They have some training, but they are often trying to learn their job as much as you are trying to learn yours. As a military attorney, you won't get the support that a regular civilian attorney would have, that's for sure. I don't think these things will necessarily determine my decision to apply for direct appointment, but they definitely are a factor.

Bottom Line: I would recommend applying for the AF JAG summer externship/internship if you are at all interested in pursuing JAG. It let me know the negatives and positives of the position, but it also gave me great insight into military life. And most importantly, I was able to meet people (and future references!) to give me firsthand knowledge of the kind of person that is successful in JAG.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:59 pm

Have my interview w/ Army JAG tomorrow. Any advice. This is for Active Duty Appointment FYI.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:02 pm

How long does the waiver process usually take?

frankbeans

Postby frankbeans » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Have my interview w/ Army JAG tomorrow. Any advice. This is for Active Duty Appointment FYI.

I do not think the interview will be dissimilar from an OCI interview with a typical law firm. You will need to be able to explain why you want to serve in the JAG Corps. How will you handle a deployment? How will be handle being away from your family? Present yourself as someone the interviewer would feel comfortable serving with and recommending to the Board.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:How long does the waiver process usually take?

I have been waiting for around two months for a waiver decision and have not heard anything yet. The Army Reserve folks got an email last week saying that it is taking an extremely long time to hear back about waivers. Has anyone heard back for this cycle yet?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:45 am

frankbeans wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Have my interview w/ Army JAG tomorrow. Any advice. This is for Active Duty Appointment FYI.

I do not think the interview will be dissimilar from an OCI interview with a typical law firm. You will need to be able to explain why you want to serve in the JAG Corps. How will you handle a deployment? How will be handle being away from your family? Present yourself as someone the interviewer would feel comfortable serving with and recommending to the Board.

If it's anything like the Navy JAG interview,then this is incorrect. All Navy interviews are structured interviews, i.e. everyone gets asked the same set of questions. It is NOT a conversation. They ask a question and then take furious notes as you respond. When you finish your response, they move to the next question. They will not talk to you at all during this portion of the interview unless you have a question.

usn26

Postby usn26 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:
frankbeans wrote:

If it's anything like the Navy JAG interview,then this is incorrect. All Navy interviews are structured interviews, i.e. everyone gets asked the same set of questions. It is NOT a conversation. They ask a question and then take furious notes as you respond. When you finish your response, they move to the next question. They will not talk to you at all during this portion of the interview unless you have a question.

It's not at all like the Navy interview. Only the Navy could concoct something that ridiculous.

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:13 am

The Navy interview is hilariously awkward.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:11 am

usn26 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
frankbeans wrote:

It's not at all like the Navy interview. Only the Navy could concoct something that ridiculous.

An excellent introduction to how ridiculous the next four years of your life will be with USN jag!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:23 pm

Hey guys -

One thing that really ate me up was the timeline or lack thereof. Here was my process for Active duty Army JAG:

Mid-September 2016: interview with FSO
Sometime in October 2016: submitted Army JAG application
Dec 22, 2016: Selected as an alternate
Jan 10, 2017: Emailed my FSO about what it means to be an alternate
Jan 25, 2017: Taken off alternate list
Late Feb: Army JAG conference call (just telling us what we need to do)
Feb/March: Get all my medical records
April 11, 2017: Take my DODMERB physical
May 9, 2017: DODMERB Requests remedial (additional info/narrative statements)
June 26, 2017: Submit remedial info to DODMERB
July 7, 2017: DODMERB changes info to "qualified"
July 25/26, 2017: Take the bar exam
Aug 7, 2017: Start working at a firm just helping out with discovery and research to pay bills -they know about my JAG situation
Aug 15, 2017: Submit additional info/worksheets to JARO
Aug 29, 2017: JARO tells me HRC needs more medical records and I send them ASAP
Sept 12, 2017: JARO emails me telling me HRC has medically approved me and I should expect a spot in the January 2018 class
Sept 13, 2017: Passed bar exam

thelincolnlawyer

Postby thelincolnlawyer » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:50 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:The Navy interview is hilariously awkward.

Great to hear, I have mine next week.

aka123

Postby aka123 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hey guys -

One thing that really ate me up was the timeline or lack thereof. Here was my process for Active duty Army JAG:

Aug 7, 2017: Start working at a firm just helping out with discovery and research to pay bills -they know about my JAG situation
Sept 12, 2017: JARO emails me telling me HRC has medically approved me and I should expect a spot in the January 2018 class

Congrats on passing!

frankbeans

Postby frankbeans » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:03 pm

Congratulations on both passing the bar and getting the green light for the January class. Has JARO discussed your preferences for duty station?

hkh2220

Postby hkh2220 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:10 am

frankbeans wrote:

Congratulations on both passing the bar and getting the green light for the January class. Has JARO discussed your preferences for duty station?

Thank you! No word on duty stations yet, but I remember seeing on this thread that someone for the October 2017 class got their duty station worksheet in mid-August, so maybe it'll arrive in mid-November for the January class. JARO just asked for my "letter of good standing" from the bar -so there's a possibility the duty station worksheet will arrive after everything is settled.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:25 pm

AD Army JAG: Has anyone else received an email from JARO that they were medically approved by HRC and should expect a seat in the January 2018 class?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:AD Army JAG: Has anyone else received an email from JARO that they were medically approved by HRC and should expect a seat in the January 2018 class?

I haven't received anything, and DODMERB classified me as qualified on June 23rd. I'm anxiously awaiting any word from JARO.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:AD Army JAG: Has anyone else received an email from JARO that they were medically approved by HRC and should expect a seat in the January 2018 class?

I haven't received anything, and DODMERB classified me as qualified on June 23rd. I'm anxiously awaiting any word from JARO.

Same. I was classified as qualified on 22 May and haven't heard anything.

hkh2220

Postby hkh2220 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Same. I was classified as qualified on 22 May and haven't heard anything.

I got an email on Sept 12 saying I was approved by HRC and should expect a seat in January '18-I posted a timeline above detailing when I was cleared for DODMERB etc. -

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:29 pm

JARO also emailed me a few weeks ago that I was medically qualified and should be in January's class if I pass the bar.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:JARO also emailed me a few weeks ago that I was medically qualified and should be in January's class if I pass the bar.

You guys are so lucky, I've been waiting for almost three months on a medical waiver decision. I don't care when I ship out for training, just want to know that I'm going to get in. :/

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:02 am

Above anon here. I didn't have any waivers and it still took several months to hear back on medical. It's definitely a waiting game. Good luck!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:04 pm

I recently submitted my application for the Army 2L internship. Based on what I was able to find on the Army website, the application and supporting documents were suppose to be submitted via an email to usarmy.belvoir.hqda-otjag.mbx.intern-ap ... n@mail.mil. Will I receive any sort of notification that the application was received, or will it just be a waiting game to see if I get an offer/rejection?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:08 am

Must be a new process. Last year, we submitted our applications directly from the JARO website. With that said, last year's selectees have been uploading documents through that same email. Before you submitted, you could have checked a box to receive notification when your documents are downloaded. Since you already submitted, you can check manually by clicking on the link from the automatically generated email.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:29 pm

Any Army JAG selectees waiting for a medical waiver heard anything recently? I've been waiting for months for a decision, would love any news. Thanks!

Return to “Legal Employment”