Military Law Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Anonymous User

Re: Military Law

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:05 pm

Waiting to hear back from Army and Air Force on summer externship selections for 1Ls. Has anyone had a particularly positive summer externship experience, and if so where? Army gives quite a bit of flexibility for externship placement, and wanted to see if anyone had any strong recommendations.

ML0576

New

Post by ML0576 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:42 pm

professorvoltron wrote:
ML0576 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
thxrho wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm an Army select as well, and have yet to hear back from JARO since submitting my Statement of Intent.
I'm a practicing attorney and Army AD select. Practicing attorneys were given the option to attempt to join the May 2017 JAOBC, provided they could meet all of the deadlines in an expedited fashion. Emails related to this are the only communication I've had from JARO since submitting my Statement of Intent.

Anon, are you a 3L? If so, it seems they are working to fill the May JAOBC class before they move on to current students.
I'm an Army Alternate Reserve Select, practicing attorney and I haven't received anything since SOI. I assume because I'm an alternate I didn't get the May JAOBC emails.
I am a practicing attorney and an Army Reserve Select. I have not heard anything since submitting my letter of intent.
Me neither. I think we are supposed to get more information in the next 2-3 weeks. Is it on the table that we could go to training in May? The offer letter and SOI seemed to suggest that the earliest we could head to training was October, right?
From what I understand, if you can get your ducks in a row early (like DODMERB, Security Clearance, Bar Exam) then you can likely proceed to the earlier class. However, if you are Army Reserve, then Army can take 3-6 months in assigning you to your reserve unit. That is as best as I know.
Thanks for the info, I am an Army Reserve primary select so I was expecting to have to wait a while for everything to line up before heading to training.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:46 pm

pzpzhops2 wrote:
JackSparrow123 wrote:
pzpzhops2 wrote:
JackSparrow123 wrote:Both Air Force and Army JAG select here. Anyone heard back from Air Force JAG about medical interviews yet? I know the practicing attorneys get to go first but was wondering if any current law students had already gone through the medical interview.
As far as the initial interview with the Air Force recruiter, you are supposed to contact him to schedule an interview.
I have already tried to contact the recruiter, but he has not responded to my requests yet.
It is my understanding that he recently switched offices, could have been lost in the shuffle. Maybe give it another shot with the updated contact information if you haven't already.
The email stated that "[he] will begin contacting each of you personally to schedule our meeting" once he's settled into his new office. No need to contact him first.

aka123

New

Post by aka123 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:48 pm

Hey,

Have any Army 2016 AD selects heard from JARO about DODMERB processing yet? I haven't and I don't know if I should be nervous. I see that JAGCNet selected page has been updated. Looks like we're going to get OPAT tested before DCC. Anyone know if OPAT is replacing APFT at Benning?

Thanks!

thxrho

New

Post by thxrho » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:03 pm

aka123 wrote:Hey,

Have any Army 2016 AD selects heard from JARO about DODMERB processing yet? I haven't and I don't know if I should be nervous. I see that JAGCNet selected page has been updated. Looks like we're going to get OPAT tested before DCC. Anyone know if OPAT is replacing APFT at Benning?

Thanks!
Yes - AD selects who are practicing attorneys were given the opportunity to attempt to join the May 2017 JAOBC class (see my previous post). The attorneys who opted in were placed into the DoDMERB queue and should have already completed their medical testing. I don't think you should be nervous - JARO has its hands full with the folks gearing up for the May class.

In connection with "orienting" us to the accessions process, there was a conference call with JARO where the OPAT rollout was discussed briefly. My understanding is that taking and "passing" the OPAT is required before you will be assigned to a JAOBC class; further, no one should try to take the OPAT prior to JARO providing detailed instructions (more than presently available) to avoid any confusion when taking the test at your local recruiting office. The passing score for JA's is the minimum possible: 120 cm standing long jump, 350 cm medicine ball throw, 120 lb. deadlift, and a "36" on the timed shuttle run. (Please - anyone else on the call feel free to correct me.) It was my understanding that OPAT has not eliminated the APFT. The message from JARO on the conference call was clear that we should be ready for running and pushups at DCC.

Hope that helps.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Subwoofer

New

Post by Subwoofer » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:06 pm

I was a December 2015 select and practicing attorney and didn't start the medical process until April or May 2016. Physical in July 2016. Now processing for May 2017 JAOBC, which means 1.5 years between acceptance and start of training for me. I don't know if that's the norm. I did need a med waiver. Hope that helps those with timeline questions.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:16 pm

Anybody hear back about interviews regarding Army OGC honors program?

aka123

New

Post by aka123 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:50 pm

thxrho wrote:

Thanks!
Yes - AD selects who are practicing attorneys were given the opportunity to attempt to join the May 2017 JAOBC class (see my previous post). The attorneys who opted in were placed into the DoDMERB queue and should have already completed their medical testing. I don't think you should be nervous - JARO has its hands full with the folks gearing up for the May class.

In connection with "orienting" us to the accessions process, there was a conference call with JARO where the OPAT rollout was discussed briefly. My understanding is that taking and "passing" the OPAT is required before you will be assigned to a JAOBC class; further, no one should try to take the OPAT prior to JARO providing detailed instructions (more than presently available) to avoid any confusion when taking the test at your local recruiting office. The passing score for JA's is the minimum possible: 120 cm standing long jump, 350 cm medicine ball throw, 120 lb. deadlift, and a "36" on the timed shuttle run. (Please - anyone else on the call feel free to correct me.) It was my understanding that OPAT has not eliminated the APFT. The message from JARO on the conference call was clear that we should be ready for running and pushups at DCC.

Hope that helps.
This is very helpful. Thanks so much!
Subwoofer wrote:I was a December 2015 select and practicing attorney and didn't start the medical process until April or May 2016. Physical in July 2016. Now processing for May 2017 JAOBC, which means 1.5 years between acceptance and start of training for me. I don't know if that's the norm. I did need a med waiver. Hope that helps those with timeline questions.
This was also super helpful. I will likely need a med waiver too so I really appreciate your input.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:33 pm

aka123 wrote:
thxrho wrote:

Thanks!

Hope that helps.
This is very helpful. Thanks so much!
Subwoofer wrote:I was a December 2015 select and practicing attorney and didn't start the medical process until April or May 2016. Physical in July 2016. Now processing for May 2017 JAOBC, which means 1.5 years between acceptance and start of training for me. I don't know if that's the norm. I did need a med waiver. Hope that helps those with timeline questions.
This was also super helpful. I will likely need a med waiver too so I really appreciate your input.

For those who have gotten waivers, when did you actually sign on the dotted line? The reason I ask is that if it can take 1+ year to become qualified, that may have an impact on whether or not I can do this. I was selected as an Army reservist (and am 99% certain I will need a waiver), and was trying to complete training prior to starting a new job that I am anticipating to switch into in just over a year, but was really hoping to have JAOBC/DCC out of the way by then.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anybody hear back about interviews regarding Army OGC honors program?
Yes. Invitation to interview received this morning.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anybody hear back about interviews regarding Army OGC honors program?
Yes. Invitation to interview received this morning.
I can confirm this. Do we know how many people are interviewed for each position available?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:24 pm

Anyone hear back from the Air Force recruiter? I saw the post a few days ago, but I'm specifically referring to people who were selected prior to December 2016. Haven't heard back in awhile now, so trying to figure out what to do next.

Thanks in advance

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:29 pm

Has anyone heard back from the Corps of Engineers Honors Program?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone hear back from the Air Force recruiter? I saw the post a few days ago, but I'm specifically referring to people who were selected prior to December 2016. Haven't heard back in awhile now, so trying to figure out what to do next.

Thanks in advance
Do you mean for the medical interview? Are you a practicing attorney?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone hear back from the Air Force recruiter? I saw the post a few days ago, but I'm specifically referring to people who were selected prior to December 2016. Haven't heard back in awhile now, so trying to figure out what to do next.

Thanks in advance
Yes I am practicing, but it is post interview. Been awaiting MEPs date for months.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks in advance
Yes I am practicing, but it is post interview. Been awaiting MEPs date for months.
When did you get selected? and when did you have your medical interview? do you need a medical waiver?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard back from the Corps of Engineers Honors Program?
Just got a ding. Good luck to everyone who made it!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks in advance
When did you get selected? and when did you have your medical interview? do you need a medical waiver?
April board. Had the medical interview towards the end of July. They requested more records about a month or two later. Confirmation that they were sent about another month later. And now radio silence.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks in advance
April board. Had the medical interview towards the end of July. They requested more records about a month or two later. Confirmation that they were sent about another month later. And now radio silence.
The office recently moved into Pentagon and it may take some time for them to settle. Have you tried to contact the recruiter?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks in advance
The office recently moved into Pentagon and it may take some time for them to settle. Have you tried to contact the recruiter?
Yes, a few times but no word back. Just trying to figure out if this is normal, and a part of hurry up and wait. Or if there is something I should be doing or contacting instead.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:48 am

Anyone waiting to hear back for Air Force GLP results?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:22 pm

Any word on whether the federal hiring freeze will impact paid internships?

trustdan

New

Post by trustdan » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:13 am

Anonymous User wrote:Any word on whether the federal hiring freeze will impact paid internships?
My money's on yes. Roughly 90% certain.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:35 am

trustdan wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any word on whether the federal hiring freeze will impact paid internships?
My money's on yes. Roughly 90% certain.
I would assume so. My office just hired someone and they were worried it wouldn't go through, but people with certain hire and start dates were grandfathered. At least in our agency the cutoff start date was in February, so obviously interns wouldn't make the cut by that standard.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:18 pm

As a side note, after watching the inauguration and Gorsuch's nomination last night, I noticed many of the military aides are JAGs. The position itself isn't specific to a certain job so thought that was interesting.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”