Military Law Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
patrickd139

Gold

Re: Military Law

Post by patrickd139 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:03 am

bahama wrote:I spent 10yrs as an officer in the Navy and my experience doesn’t match a lot of what was said above.

Very few of the officer’s wives I know (college educated, many with professional degrees) continued working full time after having kids. The biggest part of it is the difficulty of working while being a de facto single parent much of the time while the military spouse is deployed or gone for training. Combine this with the fact that they don’t need to work for economic reasons, and that it is harder to stay upwardly mobile in a career when you are moving every few years, sometime to less than desirable locations, and it is not really surprising that a lot of people make this choice. A lot of these people said they were going to keep working after having kids, but decided it wasn’t worth it once they had to live it for a while.

I don't know any officer's wives who worked on base or for the federal gov’t, unless they were also in the military. This may be different at some of the AF and Army bases in the middle of nowhere where there aren’t any professional jobs available outside the base.

If you are married to someone in the military, the policy is to try and keep you in the same area. This is a lot easier if you are both in the same service since you could be assigned to the same base. If you are in different services, they will still try but there is a lot more coordination involved and you are more likely to end up in a situation where you are say at different bases 100 miles apart and split the difference by living somewhere in the middle.

Having said all that, I also know officer’s wives who were doctors, lawyers, pharmacists, defense contractors/consultants, engineers, nurses, teachers, paralegals, or even had their own businesses. The thing to remember is the military spouse’s career path is going to be different because you have to move every three years or so and sometimes they end up living in places that may not have the best career opportunities for them. So it is much easier to do with a “portable” or high demand career.

Making career sacrifices for your significant other at some point is true in pretty much any field, not just the military.
Not to take away from the post in general (which seems to mirror just about every piece of advice I've been given by officers in several branches), I think the bolded might be the most credited, on-point advice on the topic yet.

Patrick Bateman

Silver

Post by Patrick Bateman » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:02 pm

Baylan wrote:I know this has been discussed ad nauseum, and over the past few months/weeks I've read through this entire thread, so for the sake of everyone (and myself), can I get a quick explanation of the DA, GLP, and the last (is there another?) way to secure an appointment to the JAG Corps? There are bits and pieces spread across the entire thread.

DA numbers, I know, are typically quite low (5-10% is the number often cited), and there are apparently no known GLP numbers, but is GLP appointment successful at a (significantly?) higher rate? I know this last bit of information will be purely anecdotal... but any information is better than nothing!

Thanks
All the Air Force JAG programs are here:

--LinkRemoved--

I'm not aware of any stats on GLP/OYCP beyond the general rule that it is indeed less cut throat than direct appointment. All I typically hear referenced is direct appointment numbers as that is how we staff the vast majority of JAGs.

Baylan

Bronze

Post by Baylan » Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:08 pm

Thank you very much for the links and information, guys.

s1lent

New

Post by s1lent » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:58 am

Hey guys, I'm interested in the JAG program also and I wanted to inquire on if there are any promotions beyond O-3 in the AirForce; I understand that after 6 months you are promoted to O3, but just wondering if later on down the line there are additional promotions, if you plan on going career and whatnot. Thanks!

Patrick Bateman

Silver

Post by Patrick Bateman » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:31 am

s1lent wrote:Hey guys, I'm interested in the JAG program also and I wanted to inquire on if there are any promotions beyond O-3 in the AirForce; I understand that after 6 months you are promoted to O3, but just wondering if later on down the line there are additional promotions, if you plan on going career and whatnot. Thanks!
Seriously?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

s1lent

New

Post by s1lent » Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:59 am

Patrick Bateman wrote:
s1lent wrote:Hey guys, I'm interested in the JAG program also and I wanted to inquire on if there are any promotions beyond O-3 in the AirForce; I understand that after 6 months you are promoted to O3, but just wondering if later on down the line there are additional promotions, if you plan on going career and whatnot. Thanks!
Seriously?
Yes, I am being serious; my apologies if the question seems inept, but I'm trying to get as much info as I can. I've been reading through the thread, and I'm just trying to get some questions answered that I didn't already see posted.

Patrick Bateman

Silver

Post by Patrick Bateman » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:20 am

s1lent wrote:
Patrick Bateman wrote:
Seriously?
Yes, I am being serious; my apologies if the question seems inept, but I'm trying to get as much info as I can. I've been reading through the thread, and I'm just trying to get some questions answered that I didn't already see posted.
Yes. We are line officers, so while we have separate JA boards, we promote just like everyone else. From First Lieutenant (0-2) to Lieutenant General (0-9).

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:24 am

Patrick Bateman wrote:Yes. We are line officers, so while we have separate JA boards, we promote just like everyone else. From First Lieutenant (0-2) to Lieutenant General (0-9).
AF JAG are line officers? Seriously?

brownshoe

New

Post by brownshoe » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:44 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
Patrick Bateman wrote:Yes. We are line officers, so while we have separate JA boards, we promote just like everyone else. From First Lieutenant (0-2) to Lieutenant General (0-9).
Not in the Navy. JAG officers are staff officers, but the point about promotions is the same.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

wesleybs

New

Post by wesleybs » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:00 pm

In terms of promotion, what is they typical schedule and what if you aren't promoted on that schedule? Is it an up and out policy? The USAF JAGC recruiting page says Major in 6-7 years and Lt. Colonel in 13, is that accurate for those you know in JAG?

Patrick Bateman

Silver

Post by Patrick Bateman » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:00 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
Seriously.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:05 pm

brownshoe wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:AF JAG are line officers? Seriously?
Not in the Navy. JAG officers are staff officers, but the point about promotions is the same.
:shock:
Patrick Bateman wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:AF JAG are line officers? Seriously?
Seriously.
Good to know!

Kalas

New

Post by Kalas » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:33 pm

wesleybs wrote:In terms of promotion, what is they typical schedule and what if you aren't promoted on that schedule? Is it an up and out policy? The USAF JAGC recruiting page says Major in 6-7 years and Lt. Colonel in 13, is that accurate for those you know in JAG?
I think if you're an Officer and passed over for promotion twice, its goodbye. I'm not sure how accurate this is and/or whether it applies to JAG Officers.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

wesleybs

New

Post by wesleybs » Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:01 pm

As a follow-up then, how often are officers who want to stay in overlooked?

MrTexas

New

Post by MrTexas » Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:33 pm

What level of security clearance is required to be a JAG? For top secret do u have to take a polygraph?

bahama

Bronze

Post by bahama » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:17 pm

wesleybs wrote:As a follow-up then, how often are officers who want to stay in overlooked?
It's a pyramid so promotions get harder the higher you go. It also varies year to year based on how many people are needed and those types of things. Some rough numbers below, keep in mind these % are of the people left, not the people who started:

O-3 close to 100% get promoted, basically anyone who didn't get in trouble.

O-4 80-95% get promoted, basically anyone who does their job with the expected level of competency and stays out of trouble.

O-5 70-90% get promoted, basically your average to above average performers. Most people who come in without prior service and stay 20yrs will retire at this level.

O-6 about 50% get promoted, basically your stars, people who have done well in a variety of challenging jobs. The promotion rate is deceivingly high because a lot of the O-5s who don't think they have a shot retire before they get looked at for this so this should be interpreted as 50% of the people who think they have a chance.

Whether people who have been passed over stay depends on how long they have been in. The closer they are to being able to collect retirement (20yrs svc) the more likely they will stay.

If you get passed over 2x for O-3 (Captain in Army/Marines/AF, Lieutenant in Navy) or O-4 (Lieutenant Commander in Navy, Major in others) then you are gone. Most people who get passed over for one of these have messed up in some way or another.

People who get passed over for O-5 (Navy Commander, other Lieutenant Colonel) are usually allowed to stay on until they are retirement eligible at 20 years, but occasionally may be forced out if the military is overmanned or if they have some sort of issue in their record (like say a DUI).

If you have more than a certain number of years and are forced out you get severance unless it is due to some sort of misconduct on your part and there has been a Courts Martial or other due process.

Patrick Bateman

Silver

Post by Patrick Bateman » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:29 pm

MrTexas wrote:What level of security clearance is required to be a JAG? For top secret do u have to take a polygraph?
We start out with Secret. Depending on the job, some pick up TS.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Rotor

Silver

Post by Rotor » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:42 am

Patrick Bateman wrote:
MrTexas wrote:What level of security clearance is required to be a JAG? For top secret do u have to take a polygraph?
We start out with Secret. Depending on the job, some pick up TS.
The only people who have to take a poly for TS are those who ask, worriedly, if they have to take a poly for TS. :-)

J/k. Never had to take a poly as part of my TS investigations.

Undead_Ed

New

Post by Undead_Ed » Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:36 am

I thought that the army active duty JAG accessions board would be out by now. Anybody have an idea when they are coming out? Last year's are dated the 18th...

BrutusBuckeye

New

Post by BrutusBuckeye » Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:14 pm

Any advice about what kind of stuff to put in our Motivational Statement? I have a lot of ideas but its really hard to limit it to one page double spaced...

Also, is it expected we limit our resume to one page? Because I have a ton of relevant leadership experience from undergrad that I'd like to put on but I can't fit it on my existing one page resume.

And when I put the date on forms I sign, which format do I use.... YYYYMMDD (20091219) or 19 DEC 2009... or something else?

Patrick Bateman

Silver

Post by Patrick Bateman » Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:24 pm

BrutusBuckeye wrote: Also, is it expected we limit our resume to one page? Because I have a ton of relevant leadership experience from undergrad that I'd like to put on but I can't fit it on my existing one page resume.

And when I put the date on forms I sign, which format do I use.... YYYYMMDD (20091219) or 19 DEC 2009... or something else?
Follow the given instructions to the letter. If it says one page, you submit one page. This is the military after all, following orders precisely is critical.

If the forms do not state a specific format for the date, you can do whatever you want.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

BrutusBuckeye

New

Post by BrutusBuckeye » Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:26 pm

Patrick Bateman wrote:
BrutusBuckeye wrote: Also, is it expected we limit our resume to one page? Because I have a ton of relevant leadership experience from undergrad that I'd like to put on but I can't fit it on my existing one page resume.

Follow the given instructions to the letter. If it says one page, you submit one page. This is the military after all, following orders precisely is critical.

If the forms do not state a specific format for the date, you can do whatever you want.
Yeah it doesn't give any instructions on the length of the resume. I'll probably call JAX Monday just to make sure.

Patrick Bateman

Silver

Post by Patrick Bateman » Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:33 pm

BrutusBuckeye wrote:
Patrick Bateman wrote:

Yeah it doesn't give any instructions on the length of the resume. I'll probably call JAX Monday just to make sure.
If memory serves, I submitted a 2 page resume.

I also have no ideas on the personal statement. With the volume of applicants, I seriously doubt they are reading these.

brownshoe

New

Post by brownshoe » Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:51 pm

Patrick Bateman wrote:
If memory serves, I submitted a 2 page resume.

I also have no ideas on the personal statement. With the volume of applicants, I seriously doubt they are reading these.
Maybe - but it may depend on the service and/or the particular board. At my interview (Navy), the O-6 read my statement in front of me to make sure it was "good" for the board. He seemed to think it was important - but it's also possible it carried very little weight.

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:52 pm

GLP interview with the SJA on Tuesday. Any tips/tricks?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”