Military Law Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
helfer snooterbagon

Bronze

Re: Military Law

Post by helfer snooterbagon » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:41 pm

BLin98 wrote:Long time board lurker and I spent the last week going through this thread in my free time. Thank you to all the informative folks.

I have been speaking with a family friend of mine who is a 22+ year Navy vet. He had a lot of good information for me and when I discussed the abysmal acceptance rates and stiff competition, his suggestion was to apply as much as possible through normal channels, and then if not accepted simply sign up as an regular officer and go that route. Then after two years start requesting a transfer to JAGC.

Everything I have been reading the past few months about military service in general tells me that this is a bad idea and relies on multiple factors outside of my direct control in order to get to where I want to serve. He says that he does know some officers that did it this way, but I think he may just be confused and referring to the LEP program.
In the Navy, officers can request lateral transfers. It is not the same as the LEP. Are you currently in law school? In order to be elgible as a lateral transfer you would need to be licensed. Additionally, you would have to get picked up for a comission in another program. I spent 6 years Active Duty with the Navy and am currently a drilling reservist. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

BLin98

New

Post by BLin98 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:36 pm

helfer snooterbagon wrote:
In the Navy, officers can request lateral transfers. It is not the same as the LEP. Are you currently in law school? In order to be eligible as a lateral transfer you would need to be licensed. Additionally, you would have to get picked up for a commission in another program. I spent 6 years Active Duty with the Navy and am currently a drilling reservist. Let me know if you have any specific questions.
Appreciate the info. Yes I would be coming in with a JD, currently I am a 0L starting 1L next fall. My friend suggested trying to go in as an SWO to "drive ships and shoot missiles" for 2-3 years and then start putting in for the lateral xfer to JAGC. Is this actually feasible? Seems like quite a way to get around the 7% acceptance rate if you can handle the training and first tour.

Also when you were doing your choice of duty stations were any of the overseas bases ever available to you in your six years active?

Rotor

Silver

Post by Rotor » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:33 am

helfer snooterbagon wrote:In the Navy, officers can request lateral transfers. It is not the same as the LEP. Are you currently in law school? In order to be elgible as a lateral transfer you would need to be licensed. Additionally, you would have to get picked up for a comission in another program. I spent 6 years Active Duty with the Navy and am currently a drilling reservist. Let me know if you have any specific questions.
This is all true enough, but it may not be this simple. When applying for the transfer & redesignation board (the technical name for the lateral transfer process), you will need to get approval from your losing community (the warfare specialty you are transfering from). Back in the day, SWO was a good way to go, but from what I hear nowadays they are being much more difficult in giving that permission because of the under staffing of ships and critical shore billets.

Not saying it can't be done. Indeed with the JD in hand, the folks in Millington (Navy Personnel Command) may work a deal. I only caution that unless you get it in writing, nothing is guaranteed.

Good luck!

Rocktober2007

Bronze

Post by Rocktober2007 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:34 am

For the Army active duty app, I just went from "Under Completeness Review" to "Pending Board Decision." :|

Rocky Estoppel

Bronze

Post by Rocky Estoppel » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:35 pm

jess8328 wrote:For the Army active duty app, I just went from "Under Completeness Review" to "Pending Board Decision." :|
My Summer Intern application just did the same thing. I think this just means that the board has started to review the applications.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

theskippa10

Bronze

Post by theskippa10 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Mine's been like that for a week or so. I was told all it means is they've started to review nothing more.

Also, someone asked this and I don't think it was answered, but there are a few (like 4) Army ROTC guys on deferrment for JAG. Does that screw me, seeing as they may not want to take a large number from one school. If it helps, I go to a t25 school.

umassalpha

New

Post by umassalpha » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:46 pm

jess8328 wrote:For the Army active duty app, I just went from "Under Completeness Review" to "Pending Board Decision." :|

Exciting! Good luck Jess, I'm still "under completeness review"!

Rocktober2007

Bronze

Post by Rocktober2007 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:08 pm

theskippa10 wrote:Mine's been like that for a week or so. I was told all it means is they've started to review nothing more.

Also, someone asked this and I don't think it was answered, but there are a few (like 4) Army ROTC guys on deferrment for JAG. Does that screw me, seeing as they may not want to take a large number from one school. If it helps, I go to a t25 school.

I've been really curious about this too. I'm not aware of any ROTC ed-delays at my school, but I wouldn't be surprised if there were one.

theskippa10

Bronze

Post by theskippa10 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:34 pm

going through a few of the boards the various services have posted, it seems they only take one or two per school per board. That being said, the Army and Marines seem to be more about fit, so maybe they only felt that one or two were a fit for them.

God this internship is making me paranoid

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

umassalpha

New

Post by umassalpha » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:41 pm

theskippa10 wrote:going through a few of the boards the various services have posted, it seems they only take one or two per school per board. That being said, the Army and Marines seem to be more about fit, so maybe they only felt that one or two were a fit for them.

God this internship is making me paranoid

I'm optimistic about this because only 6 people signed up for the OCI at my school for the FSO interview for Army Jag, just hope I'm a "fit" out of the 6!

SocalPizza

New

Post by SocalPizza » Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:25 pm

Navy Student Program question - Does your status on the website go straight from "Pending" to the answer you'll get (Recommended, Recommended as Alternate, Not Recommended) or is there an update in between like the Army's "Pending Board Decision"?

Rocktober2007

Bronze

Post by Rocktober2007 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:13 pm

SocalPizza wrote:Navy Student Program question - Does your status on the website go straight from "Pending" to the answer you'll get (Recommended, Recommended as Alternate, Not Recommended) or is there an update in between like the Army's "Pending Board Decision"?
I think it just goes from pending -->Recommended/Alternate/Not Recommended. I haven't read anything about another status.

SocalPizza

New

Post by SocalPizza » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:48 am

FYI - Those interested in the 2L Army Internship, the website where results will be posted was recently updated. Link here - --LinkRemoved--

It reads - "Applications for the Fall FY 2011 season, with a deadline of 1 November 2010, are currently under review. Results will be posted 4-8 weeks from the deadline."

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

umassalpha

New

Post by umassalpha » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:14 pm

SocalPizza wrote:FYI - Those interested in the 2L Army Internship, the website where results will be posted was recently updated. Link here - --LinkRemoved--

It reads - "Applications for the Fall FY 2011 season, with a deadline of 1 November 2010, are currently under review. Results will be posted 4-8 weeks from the deadline."

I remember my FSO saying something about late december getting a call if I was selected...but could be different for Intern applicants

theskippa10

Bronze

Post by theskippa10 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:17 pm

Yeah, so that piece of news is nice, but I'll still be check everyday lol

Rocktober2007

Bronze

Post by Rocktober2007 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:33 pm

umassalpha wrote:
SocalPizza wrote:FYI - Those interested in the 2L Army Internship, the website where results will be posted was recently updated. Link here - --LinkRemoved--

I remember my FSO saying something about late december getting a call if I was selected...but could be different for Intern applicants
Late December for Active Duty applicants?

E\/ERLAST

New

Post by E\/ERLAST » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:54 pm

jess8328 wrote:
umassalpha wrote:

I believe FY2010 results were posted on January 7th, 2010

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

umassalpha

New

Post by umassalpha » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:20 pm

E\/ERLAST wrote:
jess8328 wrote:
umassalpha wrote:

I believe FY2010 results were posted on January 7th, 2010
January actually seems more likely yeah, I could be remembering what I heard incorrectly, I thought she said December, but early January seems to make more sense.

Rocktober2007

Bronze

Post by Rocktober2007 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:17 pm

The website now says 4-8 weeks after the deadline, which falls squarely in December. Hm...

E\/ERLAST

New

Post by E\/ERLAST » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:00 pm

jess8328 wrote:The website now says 4-8 weeks after the deadline, which falls squarely in December. Hm...
Which in military time means January

Groundie

New

Post by Groundie » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:31 pm

AF ran out of interview slots so I guess I'm waiting til Feb. That's ok, I'm looking at a dual degree.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Giddy-Up

Bronze

Post by Giddy-Up » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:50 pm

Anyone else get the e-mail asking them to participate in the Navy JAG survey?

SocalPizza

New

Post by SocalPizza » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:02 pm

Giddy-Up wrote:Anyone else get the e-mail asking them to participate in the Navy JAG survey?
Yep. And I called a couple buddies who also applied and they got it too. It doesn't appear to be a "you made it!" undercover survey.

EDIT: I had hoped.

Giddy-Up

Bronze

Post by Giddy-Up » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:13 pm

SocalPizza wrote:
Giddy-Up wrote:Anyone else get the e-mail asking them to participate in the Navy JAG survey?
Yep. And I called a couple buddies who also applied and they got it too. It doesn't appear to be a "you made it!" undercover survey.

EDIT: I had hoped.
Good to know.

SocalPizza

New

Post by SocalPizza » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:30 pm

My only lingering question about the Navy JAG survey is whether or not this means they have made or are close to making decisions. Oct. 15 deadline, and I was told they'd decide within 4-6 weeks, then take 2 more weeks to announce... It's now been over 4 weeks.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”