Military Law

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Backload

New
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:10 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby Backload » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:May anybody here mention how long it took for their Secret-level clearance to go through? I'm sure the answer is "it depends," but just trying to gauge the average wait time.

Does anybody know of any horror stories in which a JAG's clearance was denied? It's pretty much the only thing standing in the way of me and my first assignment -- and it's difficult not to psyche myself over all the foreign travel I've done over the years :roll:


You don’t need a clearance to commission. I know some first-term JAGs who still don’t have their clearance. OPM is very backed up.

User avatar
Patrick Bateman

Silver
Posts: 674
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:41 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby Patrick Bateman » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:06 pm

Backload wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:May anybody here mention how long it took for their Secret-level clearance to go through? I'm sure the answer is "it depends," but just trying to gauge the average wait time.

Does anybody know of any horror stories in which a JAG's clearance was denied? It's pretty much the only thing standing in the way of me and my first assignment -- and it's difficult not to psyche myself over all the foreign travel I've done over the years :roll:


You don’t need a clearance to commission. I know some first-term JAGs who still don’t have their clearance. OPM is very backed up.


This is correct. I arrived at my first base, post COT & JASOC, and my clearance was still working its way through. Not a big deal. And as noted above, it really takes something truly significant to note rate a secret. You know know if you had any of these issues. As an alternate plan, it seems not having a clearance is not an impediment to working within the White House these days, so you can always try that.

Having had multiple clearance levels within the DOD and two (civilian) Federal agencies, "it depends" really is going to be the answer - there is absolutely no set metric someone can quote you. Some folks will have had theirs breeze through. Others will have seen the process take an eternity. I will say that from my very limited perspective, my experiences have been worse each time over the years.

Anonymous User
Posts: 309422
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Military Law

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:48 pm

I earned about $60,000 now in my field before entering law school (CCN), and I'm interested in JAG. I'm trying to calculate what my pay would look like starting out, but I'm a bit confused by constructive credit. I know I'd start as a 1LT with 3 years of constructive credit that don't count towards the 20 years for retirement, but do they count towards years of service in calculating pay? For instance, would I start as an O-2 with 3 years of service and then get promoted to O-3 with 3.5-4 years of service (depending on the branch)?

Backload

New
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:10 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby Backload » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I earned about $60,000 now in my field before entering law school (CCN), and I'm interested in JAG. I'm trying to calculate what my pay would look like starting out, but I'm a bit confused by constructive credit. I know I'd start as a 1LT with 3 years of constructive credit that don't count towards the 20 years for retirement, but do they count towards years of service in calculating pay? For instance, would I start as an O-2 with 3 years of service and then get promoted to O-3 with 3.5-4 years of service (depending on the branch)?


No time of service is calculated by how much time you have actually served.

User avatar
Patrick Bateman

Silver
Posts: 674
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:41 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby Patrick Bateman » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I earned about $60,000 now in my field before entering law school (CCN), and I'm interested in JAG. I'm trying to calculate what my pay would look like starting out, but I'm a bit confused by constructive credit. I know I'd start as a 1LT with 3 years of constructive credit that don't count towards the 20 years for retirement, but do they count towards years of service in calculating pay? For instance, would I start as an O-2 with 3 years of service and then get promoted to O-3 with 3.5-4 years of service (depending on the branch)?


You start as an O2 with >2 years experience, moving to an O3 with >2.

The whole constructive credit is just the justification on how we come in as an O2 and promote to O3 faster than the rest of the line.

Anonymous User
Posts: 309422
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Military Law

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:27 pm

Patrick Bateman wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I earned about $60,000 now in my field before entering law school (CCN), and I'm interested in JAG. I'm trying to calculate what my pay would look like starting out, but I'm a bit confused by constructive credit. I know I'd start as a 1LT with 3 years of constructive credit that don't count towards the 20 years for retirement, but do they count towards years of service in calculating pay? For instance, would I start as an O-2 with 3 years of service and then get promoted to O-3 with 3.5-4 years of service (depending on the branch)?


You start as an O2 with >2 years experience, moving to an O3 with >2.

The whole constructive credit is just the justification on how we come in as an O2 and promote to O3 faster than the rest of the line.


Original anon. Could you clarify this in respect to Backload's comment? It sounds like he is saying I'd be an O2 w/ 0 years and you're saying I'd be an O2 with >2. Perhaps the answer varies by branch?

Backload

New
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:10 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby Backload » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Patrick Bateman wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I earned about $60,000 now in my field before entering law school (CCN), and I'm interested in JAG. I'm trying to calculate what my pay would look like starting out, but I'm a bit confused by constructive credit. I know I'd start as a 1LT with 3 years of constructive credit that don't count towards the 20 years for retirement, but do they count towards years of service in calculating pay? For instance, would I start as an O-2 with 3 years of service and then get promoted to O-3 with 3.5-4 years of service (depending on the branch)?


You start as an O2 with >2 years experience, moving to an O3 with >2.

The whole constructive credit is just the justification on how we come in as an O2 and promote to O3 faster than the rest of the line.


Original anon. Could you clarify this in respect to Backload's comment? It sounds like he is saying I'd be an O2 w/ 0 years and you're saying I'd be an O2 with >2. Perhaps the answer varies by branch?



I guess his arrow is going the wrong way. But if you read the rest of his post it’s saying 0-2 years pay. You promote so quickly that you don’t really factor in O2 pay. During that time you are at training and then jag school.

The constructive credit doesn’t really count for anything but the quick promotion. Like he said, it is what they say to justify the 6 month promotion.

User avatar
Patrick Bateman

Silver
Posts: 674
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:41 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby Patrick Bateman » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Patrick Bateman wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I earned about $60,000 now in my field before entering law school (CCN), and I'm interested in JAG. I'm trying to calculate what my pay would look like starting out, but I'm a bit confused by constructive credit. I know I'd start as a 1LT with 3 years of constructive credit that don't count towards the 20 years for retirement, but do they count towards years of service in calculating pay? For instance, would I start as an O-2 with 3 years of service and then get promoted to O-3 with 3.5-4 years of service (depending on the branch)?


You start as an O2 with >2 years experience, moving to an O3 with >2.

The whole constructive credit is just the justification on how we come in as an O2 and promote to O3 faster than the rest of the line.


Original anon. Could you clarify this in respect to Backload's comment? It sounds like he is saying I'd be an O2 w/ 0 years and you're saying I'd be an O2 with >2. Perhaps the answer varies by branch?


Apologies for the confusion - I was posting from my phone and fat fingered the < sign. It should be <2. In other words, 0 years - 1 year 364 days are all in the same years-of-service pay band. If you look at any pay chart, that is usually categorized as <2: https://www.dfas.mil/dam/jcr:ccc8e348-1 ... 2018_4.pdf

Backload and I are saying the same thing.

Anonymous User
Posts: 309422
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Military Law

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:29 am

Reading over the most recent military directives. It seems that the ToS ( Time on Station) has been increased to a 36 month system. So PCS amounts may change for JAGs? Can anyone confirm that your locations are for 36 months instead of the previous 12-24?

Anonymous User
Posts: 309422
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Military Law

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:11 pm

Hello,

I'm just checking to see if any Air Force April 2018 DAP applicants have any insights/rumors/gossip they'd like to share in reference to the release date of results.

Backload

New
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:10 pm

Re: Military Law

Postby Backload » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Reading over the most recent military directives. It seems that the ToS ( Time on Station) has been increased to a 36 month system. So PCS amounts may change for JAGs? Can anyone confirm that your locations are for 36 months instead of the previous 12-24?


Have not heard anything about this. For the Air Force at least, most assignments are two years. There are a few one year assignments, I.e, Korea and Turkey. Then there are some assignments you end up having to stay a third year due to some circumstance.

User avatar
howell

Silver
Posts: 531
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:57 am

Re: Military Law

Postby howell » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Reading over the most recent military directives. It seems that the ToS ( Time on Station) has been increased to a 36 month system. So PCS amounts may change for JAGs? Can anyone confirm that your locations are for 36 months instead of the previous 12-24?

AF JAG here, and I've heard nothing about our normal assignment lengths changing. Most jobs are 24 months; some are 36. The only thing I've heard close to this is that post-LLM assignments might move to 36 months, but it doesn't seem like that's what the people about to move now are being told.



Return to “Legal Employment?

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.