Military Law Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
LazinessPerSe

Bronze

Re: Military Law

Post by LazinessPerSe » Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:37 pm

I recently completed the interview with Navy JAG. What I'll let on for those still waiting (or the 0-1Ls here) is that the structured interview is not as intimidating as it seems. The best advice I can give to both practice for the interview and during the interview itself is to pay attention to real world problems you have encountered in your life or that you see and how you would "fix" them if you had the opportunity.

If anyone has any questions about the interview, feel free to ask. As a side, though, please don't ask what questions they posed. You'll have to do that leg work on your own.

xerxes

New

Post by xerxes » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:44 pm

Current/ex military folks - anyone have some gouge on where to look for ratings/reviews/thoughts on Naval bases? Putting in my preferences for initial duty location, and have a list of places I'd like to get thoughts on. Thanks for any help!

JCFindley

Silver

Post by JCFindley » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:19 pm

xerxes wrote:Current/ex military folks - anyone have some gouge on where to look for ratings/reviews/thoughts on Naval bases? Putting in my preferences for initial duty location, and have a list of places I'd like to get thoughts on. Thanks for any help!

My dad was 26 yrs Navy and I have been to a LOT while in the usaf. Be happy to answer non-JAG Qs on any you have in mind.

brownshoe

New

Post by brownshoe » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:46 pm

xerxes wrote:Current/ex military folks - anyone have some gouge on where to look for ratings/reviews/thoughts on Naval bases? Putting in my preferences for initial duty location, and have a list of places I'd like to get thoughts on. Thanks for any help!
Honestly, I wouldn't worry too much about the base itself. Just pick a city you think would be fun to live in. You're going to move after 2 years anyway. That being said, I can probably answer any specific questions you have about most Navy bases.

JCFindley

Silver

Post by JCFindley » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:48 pm

brownshoe wrote:
Honestly, I wouldn't worry too much about the base itself. Just pick a city you think would be fun to live in. You're going to move after 2 years anyway. That being said, I can probably answer any specific questions you have about most Navy bases.
Oh, and this......

It is the town much more than the base that makes or breaks an assignment.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

howell

Silver

Post by howell » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:49 pm

BruceWayne wrote:Anyone have any experience with Robins in Warner Robins, GA? Particularly in regards to what JAGS are doing there.
I interned there. JC was correct. There is a huge civilian population working on base (off the top of my head, maybe 18,000 civilians and only ~2,000 military). With the small military presence, military justice wasn't terribly busy. It was a slow summer, and there were maybe 3 courts. There were maybe 3-4 officers doing military justice/adverse actions (besides the SJA and Deputy SJA). When I started, there was 1 ADC on base, but that got bumped to 2 before I left.

Everyone had a time slot during the week when they would go over to the legal assistance office and work there. I think we usually had 1 JAG officer working full-time at the legal assistance office, too, but I don't know if they always did that. There is a large retirement population there, and the legal assistance office seemed really busy. I think there were 4 full-time civilian attorneys working in the legal assistance office.

There was a large group of civilian attorneys (my guess would be in the 12-15 range), several of which were retired JAG officers, but there were also a few that came straight out of law school. We had 1 JAG officer working in the labor section and 1 working in contracting. One of these guys would help out with courts too. We also had a separate reserve JAG office at the time, but I never went over there and didn't really know what they did.

If you have other questions about Robins or Warner Robins, just let me know.

bouakedojo

Bronze

Post by bouakedojo » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:49 pm

LazinessPerSe wrote:I recently completed the interview with Navy JAG. What I'll let on for those still waiting (or the 0-1Ls here) is that the structured interview is not as intimidating as it seems. The best advice I can give to both practice for the interview and during the interview itself is to pay attention to real world problems you have encountered in your life or that you see and how you would "fix" them if you had the opportunity.

If anyone has any questions about the interview, feel free to ask. As a side, though, please don't ask what questions they posed. You'll have to do that leg work on your own.
Did mine today too. It was not intimidating in the least. It was actually fun in some regards.

Also, I located this on google:

http://www.jag.navy.mil/library/instruc ... 150-1C.pdf

It looks like, if they do a prescreening board, they can establish a cutoff percentile and then give everyone a composite number, based on their LSAT percentile (40%) and their interview score (60%). Whoever makes the cut, then goes on to the next round, where they analyze your app more closely? I dunno. I thought my interview went well. We'll see in December/January.

Starscream15

New

Post by Starscream15 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:11 am

Just wanted to post regarding AF JAG assignments. I just accepted my station and it was my 3rd domestic choice. Unlike previously stated, only one base was offered. When I was called I was asked what I thought about X base and if I would like to be stationed there. I was not told if any other option. I said I was happy to go to X as it was one of my top choices. I was told to think it over and talk to my fam/spouse and confirm the next day. So no two choices anymore just FYI. It was not a take it or leave it discussion but felt like the base was being suggested for a reason.

Good luck to all the applicants. I leave for COT in 12 days. Getting excited and a little nervous. I have shin splints right now but they arent too bad. My current PT score/self test is good but kind of concerned about any long runs. Oh well just going to suck it up and bring icy hot lol.

JCFindley

Silver

Post by JCFindley » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:11 pm

Starscream15 wrote:Just wanted to post regarding AF JAG assignments. I just accepted my station and it was my 3rd domestic choice. Unlike previously stated, only one base was offered. When I was called I was asked what I thought about X base and if I would like to be stationed there. I was not told if any other option. I said I was happy to go to X as it was one of my top choices. I was told to think it over and talk to my fam/spouse and confirm the next day. So no two choices anymore just FYI. It was not a take it or leave it discussion but felt like the base was being suggested for a reason.

Good luck to all the applicants. I leave for COT in 12 days. Getting excited and a little nervous. I have shin splints right now but they arent too bad. My current PT score/self test is good but kind of concerned about any long runs. Oh well just going to suck it up and bring icy hot lol.
Good luck and congrats!

I am pretty familiar with most USAF bases so feel free to PM if you want any first hand info. (Assuming I actually do know anything about it.)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

balzie94

New

Post by balzie94 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:36 pm

Last edited by balzie94 on Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bouakedojo

Bronze

Post by bouakedojo » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:00 pm

balzie94 wrote:Huh. So this answers the question about the importance of the LSAT in Navy JAG. Answer: It's significant. That said, I wonder if it plays much of a role beyond determining whether you move on to Level 2.
Yea, it seems to me that with Level 2, it's more a totality of the circumstances type judgment with the LSAT playing a much lesser role. At least that's the impression I get.

balzie94

New

Post by balzie94 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:21 pm

FWIW, a friend of mine told me that when he was picked up by Navy, they told him specifically that he earned a perfect interview score. So maybe at Level 2 the interview score matters more. . .

Regardless, to determine how much the LSAT matters in practice, we need to know what the the average interview score is. That memo says the structured interview is scaled on a 0-60 scale. But do most candidates end up scoring 55+ every time? If so, the LSAT becomes extremely important. On the other hand, if the average candidate scores in the 40-50 range, a lower LSAT score can easily be overcome with a great interview.

Candidate A: Interview Score - 58/60; LSAT - 160 (78th percentile). (58) + (78* .4) = 89.2

Candidate B: Interview Score - 50/60; LSAT - 174 (95th percentile). (50) + (95 * .4) = 88

Candidate A (89.2) > Candidate B (88).

Thus, in the above scenario, if a score of 89 determined who moved on to Level 2, David (160 LSAT) beats Goliath (174 LSAT).
Last edited by balzie94 on Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:24 pm, edited 7 times in total.

bouakedojo

Bronze

Post by bouakedojo » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:53 pm

balzie94 wrote:FWIW, a friend of mine told me that when he was picked up by Navy, they told him specifically that he earned a perfect interview score. So maybe at Level 2 the interview score matters more. . .

Regardless, to determine how much the LSAT matters in practice, we need to know what the the average interview score is. That memo says the structured interview is scaled on a 1-100 range. But do most candidates end up scoring 90+ every time? If so, the LSAT is extremely important. On the other hand, if the average candidate scores in the 70-75 range, a lower LSAT score can be overcome with a great interview.

Candidate A: Interview Score - 98; LSAT - 160 (78th percentile). (98 *.6) + (78* .4)

Candidate B: Interview Score - 85; LSAT - 174 (95th percentile). (85 * .6) + (95 * .4)

Candidate A (90) > Candidate B (89).

Thus, in the above scenario, if a score of 90 determined who moved on to Level 2, David (160 LSAT) beats Goliath (174 LSAT).
From my reading of the file, the maximum interview score is a 60. That raw score is taken and added to the LSAT percentile x .4. This then becomes your composite score.

I would copy and paste, but it doesn't let me. See page 17, point #5.

Edit: But yea, I'd agree that in stage 2, the SI would probably matter more.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

balzie94

New

Post by balzie94 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:48 pm

Ah, yes. I misread the scoring. 0-100 is combined LSAT and interview score.

brownshoe

New

Post by brownshoe » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:01 pm

balzie94 wrote:FWIW, a friend of mine told me that when he was picked up by Navy, they told him specifically that he earned a perfect interview score. So maybe at Level 2 the interview score matters more. . .

Regardless, to determine how much the LSAT matters in practice, we need to know what the the average interview score is. That memo says the structured interview is scaled on a 0-60 scale. But do most candidates end up scoring 55+ every time? If so, the LSAT is extremely important. On the other hand, if the average candidate scores in the 40-50 range, a lower LSAT score can be overcome with a great interview.

Candidate A: Interview Score - 58/60; LSAT - 160 (78th percentile). (58 *.6) + (78* .4)

Candidate B: Interview Score - 46/60; LSAT - 174 (95th percentile). (46 * .6) + (95 * .4)

Candidate A (66) > Candidate B (65.6).

Thus, in the above scenario, if a score of 66 determined who moved on to Level 2, David (160 LSAT) beats Goliath (174 LSAT).
I've conducted dozens of these interviews - maybe one or two scored over 50.

bouakedojo

Bronze

Post by bouakedojo » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:58 pm

brownshoe wrote:I've conducted dozens of these interviews - maybe one or two scored over 50.
Interesting....

tgwwtkwtgn

New

Post by tgwwtkwtgn » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:35 pm

I would be interested to see the interview score distribution.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Fed_Atty

Bronze

Post by Fed_Atty » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:28 am

Don't freak out too much about the LSAT, the PSB referenced above is not used often, typically they just go right to the accessions board. Most of the interviews I have done have been in the 35 point range. It is pretty tough to get a perfect score

LazinessPerSe

Bronze

Post by LazinessPerSe » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:51 am

I called Navy Accessions and was told that the "whole person" concept applies to nearly every part of the application. The LCDR mentioned that the PSB was a rare occurrence, corroborating what NavyJag1 said.

bouakedojo

Bronze

Post by bouakedojo » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:26 am

NavyJAG1 wrote:Don't freak out too much about the LSAT, the PSB referenced above is not used often, typically they just go right to the accessions board. Most of the interviews I have done have been in the 35 point range. It is pretty tough to get a perfect score
LazinessPerSe wrote:I called Navy Accessions and was told that the "whole person" concept applies to nearly every part of the application. The LCDR mentioned that the PSB was a rare occurrence, corroborating what NavyJag1 said.
Cool. Thanks for the heads up, NavyJAG1 and LazinessPerSe.

target

Silver

Post by target » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:30 am

It would be helpful to know how many ppl move on to the second round as well. Say, if 75% of applicants move on to the second round, then, the LSAT score + the interview score matter a little less then the whole person criteria.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Fed_Atty

Bronze

Post by Fed_Atty » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:06 pm

target wrote:It would be helpful to know how many ppl move on to the second round as well. Say, if 75% of applicants move on to the second round, then, the LSAT score + the interview score matter a little less then the whole person criteria.
Again, this is not the typical scenario. In the vast majority of cases there is only one round, the accessions board. It is only if they do the ores creeping board that the equation mentioned above applies.

newbie_05

New

Post by newbie_05 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:18 pm

Have an interview coming up with the AF. I just finished reading all 137 pages. Right about page 110 with all of the discussions regarding LSAT, School, and Rankings, I got extremely nervous. I really want to serve and believe I have a lot to offer as a “whole person” concept; however, considering the above, I am not sure if I have any chance to stand whatsoever :cry:.

howell

Silver

Post by howell » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:57 pm

newbie_05 wrote:Have an interview coming up with the AF. I just finished reading all 137 pages. Right about page 110 with all of the discussions regarding LSAT, School, and Rankings, I got extremely nervous. I really want to serve and believe I have a lot to offer as a “whole person” concept; however, considering the above, I am not sure if I have any chance to stand whatsoever :cry:.
What made you nervous? Aren't you a 1L? You shouldn't even have grades yet.

abogadesq

Silver

Post by abogadesq » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:45 pm

How limited are private employment opportunities after JAG? How about while serving in the JAG Army Reserve?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”