Military Law Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Anonymous User

Re: Military Law

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:34 pm

frankbeans wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How long do we have between being selected and needing to report for a military medical evaluation?[/q]

Selected for what?
Being selected for army JAG, as in being told "you got the job!"

frankbeans

New

Post by frankbeans » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
frankbeans wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How long do we have between being selected and needing to report for a military medical evaluation?[/q]

Selected for what?
Ok. So JARO will give you instructions close to the beginning of next year regarding everything you need to do to complete your accessions packet, to include medical. You can complete these steps at your leisure, but JARO will impose a deadline somewhere around summertime.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:46 pm

frankbeans wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
frankbeans wrote:

Selected for what?
Ok. So JARO will give you instructions close to the beginning of next year regarding everything you need to do to complete your accessions packet, to include medical. You can complete these steps at your leisure, but JARO will impose a deadline somewhere around summertime.

That's good to know, thanks. I already started a fitness routine, dieting, and quit smoking, but I was nervous I would have to be full The Mountain by January/February.

hkh2220

New

Post by hkh2220 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How long do we have between being selected and needing to report for a military medical evaluation?
search the thread for "timeline" or clink the link below. It is when JARO contacted me and I got everything done -I'll continue to update until May or so

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... #p10152306

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Can anyone who was selected for OYCP give a timeline of after selection? How long after did you go to MEPS? What about finding out about you Field Training dates? After graduating (and passing the bar) how long until you were called to active duty?

Also, I was told that doing OYCP or GLP you can report to active duty before getting bar results, is this true?

Also wondering if the OYCP/GLP can report to active duty before bar results. I've heard from an Air Force personnel officer that you do, but was wondering if anyone with experience could opine?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:05 pm

Contemplating applying for the Navy JAG summer internship program for 1Ls. I smoke pot a few times a week, and I would have to disclose this on the application. Would this be an automatic denial? Is it worth applying/should I not apply in order to avoid having my drug use disclosed to the gov?

Elle in Combat Boots

New

Post by Elle in Combat Boots » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:05 pm

Contemplating applying for the Navy JAG summer internship program for 1Ls. I smoke pot a few times a week, and I would have to disclose this on the application. Would this be an automatic denial? Is it worth applying/should I not apply in order to avoid having my drug use disclosed to the gov?
You will need to disclose pot use during the security clearance investigation process, regardless of which JAGC program you are applying to. If you are serious about a job with the federal government or any JAGC, stop smoking pot NOW. I've been told that a secret clearance will not be granted if there is any illegal drug use in the prior 12 months.

Patrick Bateman

Silver

Post by Patrick Bateman » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:Contemplating applying for the Navy JAG summer internship program for 1Ls. I smoke pot a few times a week, and I would have to disclose this on the application. Would this be an automatic denial? Is it worth applying/should I not apply in order to avoid having my drug use disclosed to the gov?
As a general rule, for folks pursuing active duty, if you are using drugs while in law school, any application is going to be DOA. The applicants that smoked pot or other "soft" drugs as part of youthful indiscretion while in high school are the ones that can typically get a pass. It really breaks down into life/maturity categories of "dumb in high school" and "far enough along to know better."

I recognize that the internship is not the same as an active duty slot - that said, the internships are basically the "try out" for both the applicant and the service. If I were a selection official, I likely would not burn an internship slot on someone that likely has no chance of accessing into active duty.

If you happen to be in a state where it is legal to some degree, and your smoking has been limited to states where it is legal, I think the analysis gets more complicated. There is still the whole state law v. federal controlled substances act issue but I think if you could effectively represent you only partook due to the state legality and that you recognize the military/Fed Govt views this differently (along with no dependence), the odds for you look better.

I will note that I really have not seen this at the base level for several years now - if things have gotten more progressive out there, I'm sure our new JAGs out there can chime in. Regardless, if you do apply, be candid. As people still appear to be learning, its more often the cover-up than the crime that comes back to get you.

RunnerRunner

Bronze

Post by RunnerRunner » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:55 am

Navy is making calls this morning

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:43 pm

Any more word on assignments for the upcoming JAOBC class?

Cmoney $$

New

Post by Cmoney $$ » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:To the fitness point, is there any "boot camp" element to DCC? I didn't see anything searching this thread or in any of the guides via google. I'm sure morning PT is rough and the O-course challenging, but I didn't see anything about getting smoked or yelled at or ran around from event to event or anything like that.
The Army Direct Commission Course is very much like basic combat training, but much shorter. You will do PT from 5:00 AM to 6 AM, 15 minutes for a shower and clean up, followed by breakfast from 6:30 AM to 7:00 AM. From 7:30 - UTC (until complete) you will participate in the training if the day. 1st week is classroom instruction, 2nd week is basic rifle marksmanship/land nav/leadership training. 3rd week is field training, 4th week is testing and graduation. You will have weekends off and be allowed to go to the PX, get a haircut, see a movie, ect. No alcohol or tobacco for the duration of the course. You'll finish each night around 8 PM and have about an hour of downtime.

DCC does have drill sergeants and you will be yelled at, smoked, ran from one place to the next. It is more civilized than BCT though because youll be there with every corps of officer, and every direct commission from 2LT to LTC.

Any specific questions about the DCC, feel free to PM me. I am a former drill sergeant/current officer recruiter (and 0L).

Labrador911

New

Post by Labrador911 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:02 pm

RunnerRunner wrote:Navy is making calls this morning
Did you get one? If you did congratulations!

lawschoolgirl12345

New

Post by lawschoolgirl12345 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:07 pm

Has anyone heard back regarding acceptance to the Army JAG Corps internship summer program for summer 2017? Should we be expecting an email or call if we get it?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

frankbeans

New

Post by frankbeans » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:05 pm

Unless they changed it since I got the Army internship, results will be posted on JAGCNet, no phone calls.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:49 pm

Any AF JAs who had success traveling to take the bar in another state like NC (where the results come in super fast) and got themselves into a sooner JASOC class?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:34 pm

So I just got a professional rec call from Navy, but - an Army vet friend mentioned that my history of GERD w/an incidence of short breath could straight DQ me, even if it's now managed (which I stupidly didn't even think about before).

Does anyone have any experience with GERD waivers? I've read through some of the past discussion of med waivers in this thread and it doesn't look like I can do much besides go through the process and submit a ton of supporting recs. I'm just unsure how seriously I should continue job hunting while waiting.

usn26

Silver

Post by usn26 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So I just got a professional rec call from Navy, but - an Army vet friend mentioned that my history of GERD w/an incidence of short breath could straight DQ me, even if it's now managed (which I stupidly didn't even think about before).

Does anyone have any experience with GERD waivers? I've read through some of the past discussion of med waivers in this thread and it doesn't look like I can do much besides go through the process and submit a ton of supporting recs. I'm just unsure how seriously I should continue job hunting while waiting.
Pretty sure "hope for the best, plan for the worst" is always the right approach. Some quick googling says "current or history of uncomplicated GERD meets the standard if the applicant is asymptomatic while taking maintenance medication," but I wouldn't bet on either my reading that right, or, if I am, it not screwing you somehow anyway. (https://www.med.navy.mil/sites/nmotc/na ... _JUL12.pdf).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:47 pm

This morning, I received my ATRRS course reservation verification for the January DCC class. Has anyone been able to open the ATRRS link to look at the course information?

Patrick Bateman

Silver

Post by Patrick Bateman » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any AF JAs who had success traveling to take the bar in another state like NC (where the results come in super fast) and got themselves into a sooner JASOC class?
Yep, a few folks from my JASOC class did that. Another got a special swearing in ceremony as soon as his results came out (versus waiting 6-8 weeks) so he could attend the Oct COT versus waiting for the Jan COT.

With the benefit of hindsight, things I would also factor in with sitting for a state bar (beyond the obvious of it being somewhere you would want to practice if you separated after 4 years) are their positions on waivers for CLE and bar dues for active duty. That can make a big difference.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So I just got a professional rec call from Navy, but - an Army vet friend mentioned that my history of GERD w/an incidence of short breath could straight DQ me, even if it's now managed (which I stupidly didn't even think about before).

BLUF: I have minor GERD and did not even have to get a waiver for this.

I wouldn't lose sleep over this. The DD 2807 form that you will fill out has one section that might pertain to this that says something like "current and frequent heartburn or indigestion." If you don't have it currently I doubt they'll even make you get a waiver. Still disclose it, but doesn't sound like a problem to me.

BLucare

New

Post by BLucare » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:32 pm

Patrick Bateman wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any AF JAs who had success traveling to take the bar in another state like NC (where the results come in super fast) and got themselves into a sooner JASOC class?
Yep, a few folks from my JASOC class did that. Another got a special swearing in ceremony as soon as his results came out (versus waiting 6-8 weeks) so he could attend the Oct COT versus waiting for the Jan COT.

With the benefit of hindsight, things I would also factor in with sitting for a state bar (beyond the obvious of it being somewhere you would want to practice if you separated after 4 years) are their positions on waivers for CLE and bar dues for active duty. That can make a big difference.
Interesting discussion. As I'll be a Wisconsin graduate in May 2018, I'm not required to take the WI bar (i.e. I'm automatically certified upon graduation). I've been told I may be eligible for the June 25 COT class, depending on when all of my paperwork for the WI bar gets sorted out.

Here's my question: how soon after I find out from the WI bar that I'm certified would I be expected to report to COT? As in, if I find out on Friday, June 22 (or even a week before the class begins) that I'm fully certified, would I be expected to notify JAX, get my affairs in order, and fly to Alabama on a few days notice?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Patrick Bateman

Silver

Post by Patrick Bateman » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:04 pm

[quote="BLucare] Interesting discussion. As I'll be a Wisconsin graduate in May 2018, I'm not required to take the WI bar (i.e. I'm automatically certified upon graduation). I've been told I may be eligible for the June 25 COT class, depending on when all of my paperwork for the WI bar gets sorted out.

Here's my question: how soon after I find out from the WI bar that I'm certified would I be expected to report to COT? As in, if I find out on Friday, June 22 (or even a week before the class begins) that I'm fully certified, would I be expected to notify JAX, get my affairs in order, and fly to Alabama on a few days notice?[/quote]

Short answer - if you, on paper, become a member of the WI bar the day of your graduation and can get official paperwork to that effect, it is possible everything could fall into place for June COT. If, however, there is some sort of processing time before you are officially a member of the bar, June COT becomes less likely. That said, take all of this was a grain of salt as it is just an educated guess - the Wisconsin bar privilege stuff is obviously unique so JAX could have some processing shortcuts built in.

I believe you need to be actually sworn in (or certified - whatever term your state uses for when you are officially a member of the bar) before certain things can go into effect. They can likely front load certain things like picking your assignment because you becoming a member of the bar is a formality. However, I remember having to get sworn into the bar and provide JAX with official documentation of that before I got the paperwork for my actual commissioning, among other things. Once you are commissioned, it will be a few weeks before they can cut your orders (this is really the long pole in the tent in terms of time and importance), get you information to arrange movement of your HHG, etc.

So, in the hypo you pose in which the WI Bar notifies you on 22 June that you are good to go - no, there is no way you are going to June COT. However, if you graduate in early/mid May and can get a letter about your bar status around then, it is possible (though a tight timeline) that they can arrange everything for your orders in time for the June COT class (enjoy Montgomery in the summer!).

Sufficient time for all of your paperwork to get processed and for your orders to be generated really is the driving variable - this process involves equities outside of the control of the JAGC like AFPC, so there is only so much JAX as the functional can do to move it along.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:32 am

Congratulations! Can you please share your stats? Just trying to get an idea about selectees.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:28 am

I'm admittedly a bit of an odd duck, so YMMV:

Top 10% at a T2 school
169 LSAT
National Security Law Certification
Prior internships with DOJ, authorship experience with Cyber/International law
Recs included one from a former SECNAV

Note: Not on Moot Court. Not on Law Review. No prior JAG internships (I was offered one last year but went to DOJ) or services experience. I haven't taken an advocacy-oriented class until this semester, where I'm P/F-ing evidence.

Needless to say, my spring semester is being reoriented.

Patrick Bateman

Silver

Post by Patrick Bateman » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Recs included one from a former SECNAV
That probably had something to do with it!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”