Military Law Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
iggiereilly

New

Re: Military Law

Post by iggiereilly » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:33 pm

I am a 1L very interested in Navy JAGC. I have been offered a summer position at a US Attorney's Office. I have two weeks to accept. I will not hear back from the Navy JAGC Selection Board before the time is up to accept. My question for those of you with knowledge of Navy JAGC selections is how would the US Attorney's summer internship look when I go to try and get a commission in a few years? If it would look as good or only marginally worse than the Navy JAG summer internship, then I would likely accept it and not take my chances on not being selected for the summer internship. Bird in the hand and whatnot.

Any thoughts on the job offer generally or on how it would play out going forward should I want to do Navy JAGC are very much appreciated.

brownshoe

New

Post by brownshoe » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:28 pm

iggiereilly wrote:I am a 1L very interested in Navy JAGC. I have been offered a summer position at a US Attorney's Office. I have two weeks to accept. I will not hear back from the Navy JAGC Selection Board before the time is up to accept. My question for those of you with knowledge of Navy JAGC selections is how would the US Attorney's summer internship look when I go to try and get a commission in a few years? If it would look as good or only marginally worse than the Navy JAG summer internship, then I would likely accept it and not take my chances on not being selected for the summer internship. Bird in the hand and whatnot.

Any thoughts on the job offer generally or on how it would play out going forward should I want to do Navy JAGC are very much appreciated.
I don't think that the Navy puts as much emphasis on the summer internship as the other services. I don't know very many Navy JAGs that did it. Of course, if you did the internship and did well, that would look good. But I think USAO is a great alternative. In other words, I don't think either one will make or break you.

Undead_Ed

New

Post by Undead_Ed » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:16 am

I would definitely go ahead and accept (bird in hand, like you said). I believe I am correct in assuming this internship is going to take place between your 1L and 2L years. If so, it would be a great opportunity to meet some of the federal prosecutors and work on some high profile cases. You may also meet some JAGs from the local bases if they are cross designated Special Assistant United States Attorneys (SAUSAs). And since this is a 1L/2L internship, your options would be open for next summer.

However, it is my understanding that some of the services, maybe not Navy (Brownshoe would know), make sure that a lot of their 2L/3L summer interns get full time positions if they want them. In the very least, these interns will get to rub shoulders with very high ranking JAGs--O-5/O-6's who will be very persausive in their letters of recommendation. If you can lock up a Navy internship during your 2L/3L summer and you want to be Navy JAG, I would take that over a US Attorney internship--that is, if you have a choice. It would be hard to say when you don't know if you will get the Navy internship. You see, I was a US Attorney Summer Intern. I couldn't say it has helped me land a JAG job because I don't have one.

Edit: I am just going to qualify this by saying that 2L/3L summer interns who impress the JAGs should get good recommendations. If you're a POS, probably not so much.

iggiereilly

New

Post by iggiereilly » Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:40 pm

Yes, between 1L and 2L. Thanks for the tips. I really appreciate the help.

BrandonJD

New

Post by BrandonJD » Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:16 pm

Hey everyone,

I first want to say thanks to everyone providing so much helpful info in this thread about JAG. I found this thread through a reference over at airforceots and it's been really helpful as I've read through it all.

I have a several questions that I don't think have been asked yet:

1. I'm currently a 2L planning on applying for AFJAG DA during my 3L year. I understand that it is possible for me to apply for the August board this summer, but is that the earliest one I can apply to? Technically I'll be done with my 2L year in May and so I would be a 3L for the June board, right? Can I apply to it?

2. Is there any particular board out of the year that usually has less applicants, and thus, would give me a higher chance of being selected?

3. Am I better off applying earlier with less credentials, knowing that I can keep applying if I don't get selected, or should I wait until later in my 3L year when I've got more stuff to stick on my resume? Maybe some background will help for this question. I'm at a T1 southeastern school with just below top half grades, on mock trial team, quarterfinalist in interschool mock trial competition, have done lots of trial ad/appellate ad stuff, enrolled in prosecutorial clinic, worked for local trial practice last summer, done quite a bit of local volunteer work, head of a student org., etc. I feel like I've got a half-way decent resume, but I'm hoping it will get better by the time I hit the fall (get a recommendation from my next-summer employer, improve grades, do well in a regional/nat'l mock trial comp., experience in pros. office, etc.). So the question is whether it's better to apply early and keep applying if I don't get it, or just hold off and do my first application when(if) my resume boosters come in?

Thanks a bunch!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lukeatomic

New

Post by lukeatomic » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:41 am

lindseyl wrote:
Patrick Bateman wrote:
lukeatomic wrote:I recently saw a list of Army JAG recruits and their respective schools. Any such list for Air Force?
The list exists but it is not published.

PS: "Recruits" has a specific meaning in the military. Law students/lawyers selected for an Army Direct Commission are not recruits.
A list of schools for current JAGs is available, though. --LinkRemoved--
Thanks for that.

What I was really looking for, though, was something more like this. --LinkRemoved--

I'm more interested in the recruiting snapshot for a single year or single board than the entire Air Force. If that doesn't exist, though, I guess that's okay.

Esquire

Bronze

Post by Esquire » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:49 pm

Do we have any idea on when AF OYCP selections will be sent out?

The SJA I interviewed with said results would come through snail mail. Seems very strange.

lindseyl

New

Post by lindseyl » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:51 pm

Esquire wrote:Do we have any idea on when AF OYCP selections will be sent out?

The SJA I interviewed with said results would come through snail mail. Seems very strange.
OYCP has not yet met (as far as I know). SJAs call the people selected, and those who were not selected get a letter (either snail mail or via e-mail).

Patrick Bateman

Silver

Post by Patrick Bateman » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:01 pm

BrandonJD wrote:Hey everyone,

I first want to say thanks to everyone providing so much helpful info in this thread about JAG. I found this thread through a reference over at airforceots and it's been really helpful as I've read through it all.

I have a several questions that I don't think have been asked yet:

1. I'm currently a 2L planning on applying for AFJAG DA during my 3L year. I understand that it is possible for me to apply for the August board this summer, but is that the earliest one I can apply to? Technically I'll be done with my 2L year in May and so I would be a 3L for the June board, right? Can I apply to it?

2. Is there any particular board out of the year that usually has less applicants, and thus, would give me a higher chance of being selected?

3. Am I better off applying earlier with less credentials, knowing that I can keep applying if I don't get selected, or should I wait until later in my 3L year when I've got more stuff to stick on my resume? Maybe some background will help for this question. I'm at a T1 southeastern school with just below top half grades, on mock trial team, quarterfinalist in interschool mock trial competition, have done lots of trial ad/appellate ad stuff, enrolled in prosecutorial clinic, worked for local trial practice last summer, done quite a bit of local volunteer work, head of a student org., etc. I feel like I've got a half-way decent resume, but I'm hoping it will get better by the time I hit the fall (get a recommendation from my next-summer employer, improve grades, do well in a regional/nat'l mock trial comp., experience in pros. office, etc.). So the question is whether it's better to apply early and keep applying if I don't get it, or just hold off and do my first application when(if) my resume boosters come in?

Thanks a bunch!
1. You can apply to the June board but you will not have your second sem grades by then. (You will have to interview by 15 May). You can send in your transcripts if you get them before the board convenes. It is not a hard and fast rule that you must have the second sem grades in, but the board is going to want to see them.

2. Nope.

3. Apply early and apply often. I would start in June/August and be prepared to keep plugging away.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

guinness85

New

Post by guinness85 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:15 pm

Can JAGs have tattoos?

lindseyl

New

Post by lindseyl » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:28 pm

guinness85 wrote:Can JAGs have tattoos?
The short answer is yes. There are limits. Search for "tattoo" in this document for details: http://www.afoats.af.mil/OTS/documents/AFI36-2903.pdf

Patrick Bateman

Silver

Post by Patrick Bateman » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:18 pm

Air Force JAG Direct Appointment selections for the February board have posted. Those selected will get calls from the interviewing SJA; non-selects will get notice via snail mail.

As a matter of personal and professional policy, I will not check the select list for anyone's name.

Congrats to the selects!

AFBRAT

New

Post by AFBRAT » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:09 pm

got the call!!!!!!!

AF DAP :D

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Cole S. Law

Bronze

Post by Cole S. Law » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:43 pm

guinness85 wrote:Can JAGs have tattoos?
As a rule: they shouldn't be visible in uniform. Also gang related, racist, or otherwise offensive tats will probably not pass muster. Exceptions are sometimes made for enlisted, but officers are probably not going to get a waiver.

Groundie

New

Post by Groundie » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:22 am

AFBRAT wrote:got the call!!!!!!!

AF DAP :D
Congratulations! If I may ask was it during business hours or after?

"CPT Bateman," there's no alternate list like the Army?

I'm guessing I wasn't selected, but this was my first shot at the AF. Here's hoping!

AFBRAT

New

Post by AFBRAT » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:28 am

At the end of the duty day for the SJA. Groundie

Groundie

New

Post by Groundie » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:18 am

Cool, thank you. I'm going to assume if I haven't heard back by tomorrow I'll be getting the letter. Time to schedule another interview with the sja.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

'CuseLaw2011

New

Post by 'CuseLaw2011 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:47 am

Congrats to the selectees.

Anybody heard anything re: OYCP selections? With the February DAP selections finished, does that also mean the OYCP selections have been made as well?

aed9

New

Post by aed9 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:54 pm

'CuseLaw2011 wrote:Anybody heard anything re: OYCP selections? With the February DAP selections finished, does that also mean the OYCP selections have been made as well?
The ROTC board met the last week of February. Judging by the length of turn around for DAP, I'd guess those accepted will receive phone calls from their SJA on Monday, and rejections will be mailed out shortly thereafter.

adtharp

New

Post by adtharp » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:24 pm

Hey all,

I am interested in meeting a Coast Guard JAG member. I do not want endorsement, recommendation, etc. Just a chance to have a candid conversation with someone serving with Coast Guard Legal. I am currently a 1L at Indiana University. If anyone could hook me up, just with someone to talk to, over e-mail or a phone call, I would be eternally grateful. We do not have any alums in the Coast Guard here at IU. Thanks everyone!

Drew

hammer007

New

Post by hammer007 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:44 pm

Did anyone else apply for the March 1 Army board?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

the goat

New

Post by the goat » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:12 am

hammer007 wrote:Did anyone else apply for the March 1 Army board?
I did. First-time application, so we'll see what happens in a couple of weeks.

hammer007

New

Post by hammer007 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:03 am

They say they announce results within forty-five days. Does any one know if they keep to that pretty close or they usually get the results out earlier than that?

Undead_Ed

New

Post by Undead_Ed » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:54 am

hammer007 wrote:They say they announce results within forty-five days. Does any one know if they keep to that pretty close or they usually get the results out earlier than that?
45 days would be very optimistic. I don't think there is any earthly way it could be earlier than that for Army. The Army selection board only meets twice a year and in this economy, a lot of people are applying. Numbers I heard for the last board were 2000 applications submitted. In the Fall 09 board, the application was due November 1. The results were not posted until about January 12.

hammer007

New

Post by hammer007 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:11 am

Well, thank you. That's good to know.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”