Military Law

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
AntonJart

Re: Military Law

Postby AntonJart » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:26 pm

usn26 wrote:They want you to submit original copies, but won't return them? That can't be right.

yep, there is a note below that message "This document will not be returned to you, so do not send your only copy."

I was wondering what they mean by "Certified Copy." Can a Notary Public notarize the copy?

Patrick Bateman

Postby Patrick Bateman » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:54 pm

AntonJart wrote:
usn26 wrote:They want you to submit original copies, but won't return them? That can't be right.

yep, there is a note below that message "This document will not be returned to you, so do not send your only copy."

I was wondering what they mean by "Certified Copy." Can a Notary Public notarize the copy?

A random notary cannot certify the document. You need a records custodian for that particular record from the originating office, like someone that could do a FRE 902(11) certification.

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:57 pm

FWIW, the county I was born in will let you request an original copy of your birth certificate for like $10. They'll mail it out to you in a few days.

AntonJart

Postby AntonJart » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:52 pm

Patrick Bateman wrote:
AntonJart wrote:

A random notary cannot certify the document. You need a records custodian for that particular record from the originating office, like someone that could do a FRE 902(11) certification.

I see, thank you! I will then schedule an appointment with USCIS to get my Naturalization Cert. copy certified.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:17 am

What are the political leanings of military servicemembers in the JAG Corps? Does it differ among the services? How is the JAG Corps compared with other MOSs in terms of politics?

Wondering for myself (and others) because I can have pretty strong political leanings.

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:What are the political leanings of military servicemembers in the JAG Corps? Does it differ among the services? How is the JAG Corps compared with other MOSs in terms of politics?

Wondering for myself (and others) because I can have pretty strong political leanings.

First of all, you should know that being overtly political in the military, at least during duty hours, is a no-no, especially for officers. If you want to fly a "Fuck Trump" or a "Hillary for Prison" flag at your desk, that's not going to go over well.

My guess is that JAG officers probably tend to be more conservative than the average lawyer, just because the military tends to attract people with conservative leanings. But that's just a guess. None of the JAGs I've ever worked with have ever been in your face about their political beliefs. Incidentally, if you have the idea that everyone in the military is a hardcore Republican, you're incorrect. The military as a whole leans to the right, but I've certainly met plenty of Democrats.

But again, putting your political beliefs front and center in the military is not going to go over well, no matter which way you lean. If you want to have political conversations with your friends over drinks after work, knock yourself out. But don't plan on evangelizing in the workplace.

Finally, the military is pretty diverse. I've run into people in the military of just about every race, religion, political affiliation, sexual orientation, etc. If you think you can't work cordially with people who have strong political leanings in the other direction, then you may want to rethink this.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:47 pm

The above poster is right. However, people loved talking politics when I was in. Can't speak for JAG itself, but officers and SNCOs are generally much more conservative than lower enlisted. In my anecdotal experience among officers, support for the 2012 presidential election was mostly divided along racial and gender lines. With that said, political extremes (left and right) seem more common among enlisted.

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:04 pm

Yeah, people do talk politics, but at least in my experience, only with people they're relatively comfortable with who are around the same rank. Basically, if you would feel okay telling that person a dirty joke, you can probably talk politics. But you can't be overtly political in general.

For example, I would never walk into my boss's office and go "Hey, sir/ma'am, can you believe what that idiot Trump is doing?" even if I was pretty sure that he or she thought Trump was an idiot. And if someone junior to me did that to me, I'd probably remind them that they need to keep it apolitical in uniform, even if I agreed with whatever they were saying.

Patrick Bateman

Postby Patrick Bateman » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:05 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:they need to keep it apolitical in uniform

This is the credited response.

As a rule, you check politics at the door. There can be countless exceptions to this in terms of one-on-one interactions among friends and the like but your claimed "pretty strong political leanings" have no part in service as a commissioned officer.

It is also against the law for an officer to use "contemptuous words" in respect to major political figures: https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/10/888

howell

Postby howell » Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:27 pm

Patrick Bateman wrote:It is also against the law for an officer to use "contemptuous words" in respect to major political figures: https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/10/888

Currently an ADC. I recently read this article and the discussion/definitions thoroughly. Figured I needed to be prepared.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:37 pm

Anyone hear back from the Army Corps program or Army's General Counsel's office?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone hear back from the Army Corps program or Army's General Counsel's office?

OGC conducted interviews last week and will finish up this week. May hear results next week. I believe the Corps of Engineers are on a similar timetable, at least for conducting interviews.

Patrick Bateman

Postby Patrick Bateman » Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:07 pm

howell wrote:
Patrick Bateman wrote:It is also against the law for an officer to use "contemptuous words" in respect to major political figures: https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/10/888

Currently an ADC. I recently read this article and the discussion/definitions thoroughly. Figured I needed to be prepared.

Congrats on getting picked up for ADC! Best job in the JAG Corps!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:34 am

Anyone heard anything about whether the AF will have its paid internship this year?

Also, would I even have a shot if I'm median at CCN with average softs?

theorangewon

Postby theorangewon » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:35 pm

Anyone have info regarding the USMC summer internship or anything regarding the NAvy? Just trying to figure out how competitive the selection process is and what they're looking for in applicants.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone heard anything about whether the AF will have its paid internship this year?

No. AF internship is unpaid this year. Need more details on your stats.

lawschoolgirl12345

Postby lawschoolgirl12345 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:01 am

I got accepted for a Navy Jag internship this summer. Just wanted to know how easy it is to pass the security clearance process. I want to make sure I can intern this summer. The clearance process seems kind of daunting. I had a friend who said she was still under investigation but for position with foreign service, and that she was declined interim security clearance. I thought it was easy to get, but she is making seem like it can be really hard...any thoughts on how to make sure I get the interim clearance quickly?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone heard anything about whether the AF will have its paid internship this year?

Is this for certain at this point? Their Facebook page says it's still an open question whether they will have funding.

If it is unpaid, do you know if there will still be separate externship and internship programs?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:05 pm

Anyone hear back from the Army Corps of Engineers? I think they said offers would go out by today, so I assume they've sent out offers?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Is this for certain at this point? Their Facebook page says it's still an open question whether they will have funding.

If it is unpaid, do you know if there will still be separate externship and internship programs?

Far as I know, because of the federal hiring freeze AF will only have an unpaid program this year. You will have to commit at least 35-40 hours a week (unpaid) plus the living arrangement for the summer program.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:41 pm

lawschoolgirl12345 wrote:I got accepted for a Navy Jag internship this summer. Just wanted to know how easy it is to pass the security clearance process. I want to make sure I can intern this summer. The clearance process seems kind of daunting. I had a friend who said she was still under investigation but for position with foreign service, and that she was declined interim security clearance. I thought it was easy to get, but she is making seem like it can be really hard...any thoughts on how to make sure I get the interim clearance quickly?

It isn't that bad for the interns assuming that you have no criminal or health issues. Just a lot of information to fill out. The whole process only took me about 2 weeks when I applied as a 3L.

Roclandsfinest23

Postby Roclandsfinest23 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:23 am

Everyone get that email for conference calls next week?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:19 pm

I had a few short term jobs that I quit because I didn't like them before I started law school. Does it look bad for the security clearance that I had a few different jobs before I started law school. Two of them, I chose to quit after a month (and for one of them I quit after 2 weeks because it really wasn't the place for me)?

frankbeans

Postby frankbeans » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:19 am

For the average law-abiding citizen, getting a security clearance isn't too challenging. The things that will cause problems are extensive drug use, criminal activity, and unexplained foreign contacts.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone hear back from the Army Corps of Engineers? I think they said offers would go out by today, so I assume they've sent out offers?

Hi guys, sorry to bring this up again. I know there were a few of us here who interviewed with the Army Corps of Engineers Honors Program and with the General Counsel's honors program, and I was wondering if anyone heard anything back yet?

Return to “Legal Employment”